IMDb > Demons Never Die (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Demons Never Die

Demons Never Die More at IMDbPro »

Hope this demon stays dead

Author: peter-stewart866 from United Kingdom
29 October 2011

Let me just start with, this film does not make sense at all. Firstly, if you have a bunch of kids who want to kill themselves, the tension is removed when someone starts to murder them. Secondly, there's no reason for the killer to be killing in the first place even though you're happy to watch these caricatures and racial stereotypes be picked off one by one. Aside from that the main problem with "Demons Never Dies" is that it feels cold and empty with a massive lack of fun that other slasher films are abundant in, especially scream which most of the death scenes, in this film, are taken from. I have given this film one star only because of the directors ability to point the camera in the right direction which was its only saving grace even though it might have been better if he had pointed toward another story line.

hardly surprising it's terrible.

Author: moshun from United Kingdom
26 November 2011

it's essentially an unwise billet-doux to no-budget slasher flicks, bolted on to some "urban" vagary. first time director writer Arjun Rose was a city trader... and it shows. He demonstrates little in the way of ability with this debut. Directing a not unserviceable cast with all the panache of a go-compare ad,there's every possible cliché you could imagine, used badly,and the character arcs barely register above flat-line throughout the entire film.

there's enough bad cinema around with the likes of " fond of shiny things with no narrative" Michael bay and co, we don't need another.

but that's being harsh to bay, demons never die makes transformers 3 look like Kubrick.

Demons Never Die, but suicidal teenagers do.

Author: animalmad18 from United Kingdom
29 October 2011

I went to see this film mainly on the premise that Robert Sheehan was in it, this being his first film release since he left Misfits, as I wanted to see what he's moved onto since he departed from a TV show as good as that. After watching Demons Never Die, I'm not convinced he changed his career path for the better.

The film's strengths lie in the cinematography, which at times is effectively dynamic and incorporates some good use of night-vision camera into its teen horror flick appeal. However the performances of the actors, some of which don't even get enough screen time to be judged by, are generally either flat, or downright annoying in the case of Jennie Jacques (who plays beyond-helping suicidal "goth girl" Jasmine) and, yes, Jason Maza, who put across one of the best performances generally, but had a script way too punctured by repetitive f-bombs and jabs at the other characters that after a while left his speech completely deflated. Ashley Walters on the other hand led the story with some very nice narrative work as one of the policemen following the teen murder/suicide outbreak. Robert Sheehan's somber, gentle portrayal of a somewhat lost soul rediscovering himself through sudden and inevitable romance is also passable. Enough.

The stronger actors, however, couldn't pull the film through its sloppy storyline. It is there, under the surface, but structured artlessly and not explored enough to make this an engaging film to sit through. While some characters are over-embellished (visually at least) others are neglected, only to appear fruitlessly and then disperse into the background again. None of the characters, however, have histories delved into with half the detail and care that was needed to make them work. You cannot have a film that deals solely with teens bent on committing suicide without a sole reason for them to go so far as to form a pact to see who can top themselves first. There are HINTS, again, but if they are dealt with at all they're not done so sensitively or interestingly. This adds to the whole downsider that the movie lacks both depth and meaning. Teen horror flicks need it too, especially when they deal with teens.

***

Not even the masked killer ends up having any real reason to kill so many teenagers. The twist to the story is clearly meant to land with a bang, but fails to do so because of the directorial slips. The very, very end to the film though, and how it suddenly makes clear the title, is the one thing about this film that has a true, if small, impression (small only because it takes a full hour and a bit to arrive at the station).

Overall a fruitless disappointment, which may have worked better from a black comedy angle, rather than trying to be something it just didn't work out to be.

British guess who dunnit slasher

Author: Toltex from United Kingdom
21 February 2012

BEFORE YOU TO DECIDE TO JUST GIVE THIS FILM A MISS,its not no where near as bad as some of the other reviews make it out to be. in fact i enjoyed it quite a lot, it wasn't by any means a master piece of British cinema but it rolled along at a decent pace and kept the suspense going. i also found it to be more realistic than most American slasher flicks, where the killer seems to be able to get from one place to another faster than Usain Bolt, has super human strength and takes for ever to die. (if he ever does). OK a slasher is a slasher , but the fact that it was a British film with some of Britains best up and coming actors,it made a refreshing change, also keeps you guessing till near the end. definitely worth watching

A disappointment

Author: musicg37 from United Kingdom
30 October 2011

This film has made me re-think my opinion of Vanilla Sky as a rubbish film. The reported budget of £1,000,000 is as far-fetched as the plot of the film. Even Tulisa appears to have devoted no more than her lunch break from X Factor judging by the amount of time she is in it. With a line up of up and coming actors and a producer in Idris Elba, one would be forgiven for thinking that we should be watching a bit more than an extended music promo, with no real plot and void of realism and direction. I am a fan of British low budget films, but with Demons Never Die they were trying far too hard to paper over the cracks using a superb sound track. Even if you don't expect very much from watching this film, you will still be disappointed. Buying the sound track on CD is a far better option.

An atrocious zero scares slasher

Author: skorkk from Ireland
30 October 2012

This is without doubt not only one of the worst horror movies I've ever seen, but one of the worst movies I've ever seen, period.

What seems like quite an interesting concept is ruined by a truly dreadful script and woeful plot. I'd be surprised to hear that a child was scared watching this. Or even if a child managed to sit through the whole thing without getting bored and switching it off!

Perhaps you don't mind if the scares are minimal once there's plenty of gory kills? Well if that's the case I still wouldn't recommend watching this. Most of the kills are off screen. The ones that we do see are over in a flash, and show very little. If you're an X factor fan and plan on watching this just to see Tulisa get knifed then don't bother as you see nothing but two minutes of her talking on the phone before someone walks in and finds her dead body. Her terrible acting is the most shocking part about the films opening.

Maybe you're not a gore hound and just watch horror movies for a few decent jumpy scares? Again, if that's the case, I most definitely would not recommend this. There is absolutely zero tension throughout. Unless you've never seen another horror movie in your entire life then there is nothing here that you won't have seen done before ten times better and ten times scarier. In what must have been a last minute attempt to create some tension the director switches to some POV night camera footage, but the results just end up being laughable.

Now if you're a fan of scary movies then you'll probably be willing to forgive some minor plot holes or stupid moves by the characters in order for the story to progress, but this film just takes the p*ss! At one point one character leaves a room full of people to get a drink, sees the killer murdering someone and instead of running back into the room full of people, she runs past them and goes outside into the dark f*cking woods!!! On top of that we're actually supposed to believe that someone who gets stabbed in the stomach three times could pass for suicide, with no questions asked whatsoever!

Two small positives are that the opening credits sequence is quite cool and the internet chat room scene is well done. The soundtrack is not bad but after about 20 minutes it starts to get a bit ridiculous. It's not that the songs aren't good, it's that one appears literally every five minutes! And they don't just dip in and out either! Every second scene seemed to be the characters doing something mundane in slow motion to a mainstream pop/dance track!

Avoid at all costs! Even if you manage to download this online for free, don't bother. It's seriously not worth the time!

Boring and annoying!,

Author: markhaazen from Netherlands
23 February 2012

I saw the trailer on youtube and thought WOW this looks right up my alley! Sorry to say that the trailer contained ALL the best bits. Although the story is good it is let down badly by the poor acting,I thought it would get to the scary part pretty quickly but you will have to sit through 58 minutes ' cringe worthy script before anything nasty happens.

I watch every horror movie that I can get my hands on. I have seen good and bad, but I have never seen a movie as annoying as this one.

It is not the least bit disturbing because the characters are such idiots you don't really care what happens to them. Its also not jumpy, scary or gory. A complete waste of time.

I really hope that countries outside of the UK are not put off by this boring film because English are very capable of making truly awesome horror films like Eden Lake to name one!

Such a waste of talents

Author: perkypops from United Kingdom
29 September 2012

If there is one thing outstandingly wrong with this film it is its inability to determine whether it is horror, horror comedy, or black comedy. The premise of a suicide pact amongst a bunch of students has a little promise at the beginning, but that is blown out of the water by a really poor, as in pathetically poor, script not helped by banal acting. No one was convincing, even when a visually clever representation of online chat dialogue allows some sharpness and novelty but then fails to work with it.

The plot is horribly flawed, and is simply unconvincing. The police are made to look like idiots by their ineptitude for little details. And wouldn't it have been more convincing had the "suicides" been made to look like "suicides"? At least the movie would have had some element of polish with a bit of brushing up around the fringes.

But the biggest let down was the acting with flat lines, going through the copybook motions, and a patent lack of empathy between characters about the need for dialogues to interface and seem real.

It is not really worth any more than three, and is best avoided unless you really cannot find anything better to do - like snatching a couple of hours sleep.

not as bad as most say

Author: calomamonster from Essex, uk
6 November 2012

I have given this a 7, and it was only just that over a 6. Well directed film, with a script that lacks in places but is good in others. The online chat was nicely shot, quirky and innovative, and should have been used more. Usually in Slashers or films with a hidden killer identity, I can pick out the killer. Demons never die, was NOT one of these films. the last few scenes were a bit annoying as first person night vision camera effect (eg. Blair Witch) annoys me, but it was a good all round film. I watched this as a random pick up, mainly for the appearance of Robert Sheehan, and because I had some time to kill, and it was definitely worth the watch. Give it a chance, it may surprise you.

nice title but that's all that is nice

Author: trashgang from Midian
27 February 2012

The title did look promising. Even the summary looked great but let me tell you that it stopped just right there. When one girl takes her life the rest of her friends agreed to commit suicide. But suddenly some are killed before they could kill themselves. Who is the killer?

Looks indeed Brian De Palma but it isn't. There is just too much of blah blah going on and some love affairs are in the way of the story. I yawned a lot but once the first killing happened I thought, well, from here the movie will start but it never really did. It could have been a great slasher and the knife is shown a lot but that's all it does. It actually kills but not to say that it all looked really scary. Some killings did have a few nice effects but that's it. They even put some nightvision camera's toward the end to add the 'paranormal activity' atmosphere but even that didn't work. It's sad to see that acting abilities are lost due the script. You just can't blame Robert Sheehan (Season Of The Witch 2011) or Jennie Jacques (Cherry Tree Lane 2011) by not doing their job. This is a flick than teenagers will love to watch to find issues like falling in love or friendship, or in other words, if you like Twilight or flicks were nothing is happening or is scary, this is your thing.

Gore 1/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 2/5 Comedy 0/5