Flying Monsters 3D with David Attenborough

A visually splendid and educational journey of the evolution of flying monsters

Author: theycallmemrglass from United Kingdom
24 April 2011

I saw this at a preview screening in London.

The format of this documentary is a typical investigative journey that we have become used to from the great Sir David Attenborough's nature programs. This is not comparable to Walking with Dinosaur series, we don't follow the life of any particular family. Instead, the documentary spans the evolution of how early dinosaurs first took to the sky through to their peak and extinction.

Much of the program has Attenborough on screen with scientists investigating fossil bones and explaining how they can interpret the flying dinosaurs evolution. I would guess about 30% of this 40 minute documentary contains CGI recreation of the flying dinosaur era. It is a bit disappointing for an IMAX/big screen feature but thankfully the investigative journey is interesting and educational and no one narrates better then the authoritative and re- assuring voice of Attenborough. When we do see the flying dinosaurs, it is a visual splendour. Though I would have liked to see a little more of them in action and also some interaction with large land dinosaurs for entertainment value. But It seems to me they didn't have a budget big enough to do that which is a shame.

A couple of feeding scenes might be too frightening for very small children (maybe under 4 years old). Because of the lack of land dinosaurs, older kids may also be slightly disappointed but otherwise this should be entertaining enough, educational IMAX feature for the whole family.

I am not a fan of 3D, I don't like how it filters the light and makes the films darker. Unfortunately this is no exception. However, it is used well for depth and if you enjoy 3d for this reason, then you will enjoy it here.

Informative and beautiful

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
16 April 2017

"Flying Monsters 3D with David Attenborough" is a 39-minute documentary movie from 2011, so this one had its 5th anniversary last year. It is among the most known works by director Matthew Dyas, but the star here is obviously writer and animal documentary expert David Attenborough, who also appears in this one on several occasions as he usually does. This movie that runs shortly under 40 minutes focuses predominantly on the connection between flying dinosaurs back then and birds today, but there are also connection to other animals like we see a lizard early on who somehow manages to glide thanks to his physique. Anyway, this was a pretty good watch I must say. It taught me many things I did not know before and the effects and visual side of this short movie are really on the highest level. Also, it is a very focused film thanks to its runtime and never drags. So yeah the reason i still only give it 3 stars out of 5 is because dinosaurs and flying animals have always been among my lesser known area of interest, so it is all subjective I guess. People with a greater interest in paleontology or ornithology will have a really amazing time checking this one out, even if it probably will mot teach them as many new things as it did to me. Overall verdict is of course a thumbs-up. Go see it.