IMDb > "A.N.T. Farm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"A.N.T. Farm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"A.N.T. Farm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Awful, Another one in the the streamline of awful Disney Channel shows

Author: arigreenbean from United States
17 June 2012

The only halfway decent show on Disney Channel now is Good Luck Charlie. The plot of this show is that 11 year olds are in a high school which is something no one can relate to. The writing is bad there are nearly no jokes. The only 2 characters I like are Paisley and Lexi, because although she's unrealisticly evil it is funny to watch. They do the one thing that kids comedy are known for and thats have someone get hurt and then laugh at it. It teaches kids bad lessons if anything happens to someone in real life. For instance in one episode a cement block was dropped on Fletcher's foot and the whole time he's screaming no one is helping him. Olive is a jerk to everybody in almost every episode, and I have no idea why people like her. Also most of the episodes have endings that don't rap up the story (although the story is never continued). For instance in the Christmas special, when their principal is taking advantage of them, they just give up. In PatANT Pending, Olive never apologizes and in Ballet DANTser, it ends with the evil little girl just hunting down Fletcher. Lastly, if Chyna and Olive are supposedly Fletcher's friends, it amazes me how they are always mean to him (except for one episode, but then only Chyna is being nice then anyway). Whenever something bad happens to him they just laugh and ignore it. What great friends you are. Overall I think they need new writers and more real jokes instead of not funny filler jokes. Olive's character needs a complete remodeling, though I think Angus is kind of cute sometimes.

Another Hannah Montana

Author: Megan Sammut from London, England
14 August 2013

uhhh..one of the worst shows!! Its just like a Hannah Montana remake. First of all Chyna is always singing always and isn't even a good singer. She gets all the parts and expects to all the attention and about the principle a principle could never be that mean and selfish or else she would get fired and if she is always trying to save school money for herself then why did she pay for all the equipment in the ant room and each kid gets a tablet? She also looks so fake when she plays all those instruments. A little something about her friends is that they are always doing what she wants for example she made her friends collect points from yogurt cups so that she could have enough money to buy a 300 dollar bag just to fit in and fitting in seems to be a big thing for her but not any of her friends in fact they could care less.I am giving it a 3 for the only two good actors in the show Daryl the dad and Paisly who might be too dumb but plays it very well I mean you can't blame the actress for the stupid character she has to play.

horrible writing, horrible acting, horrible show

Author: bacioa1993 from Oregon
16 August 2012

This show is awful. Unfortunately my kids (8 and 6) like it, so I have unhappily watched several episodes with them. The combination of overacting and horrible writing is almost unbearable. There are some Disney shows that I actually like, for example "Good Luck Charlie" and "That's So Random", so I know it is possible for Disney to make good quality TV shows geared toward kids, A.N.T. Farm is not one of them. The characters are very caricature-like with silly idiosyncrasies, for example, Olive has many phobias, including a phobia of curly fries?? Many of the other characters are just ridiculous, like Gibson. I really can't say enough bad things about this show.

Not what everyone expected.

Author: anastasia-cessano-writes from United States
1 October 2011

I have watched Disney Channel since I was 6. At that age, they had some good shows, like Lizzie McGuire and That's So Raven, and Phil of the Future and Life With Derek, as well as So Weird, also worked too. However, with the birth of "Hannah Montana," Disney went majorly down-hill. Wizards and Good luck Charlie were amusing and tolerable, but Fish Hooks is really stupid and annoying -and Shake it Up?!?! Come on, I loathe the THEME SONG of that...that...(It's so dumb I cannot even call it a show.) However, A.N.T. Farm (and maybe their new show,Jessie) may bring Disney, while not to its former prime (that can never happen again), at least a bigger fan base and less patheticness.I think A.N.T. Farm is, while sometimes cheesy,Cute, eye catching, and watchable! I like the principal a LOT, and Wacky The Wolf random appearances,well...that's ant-tastic! Hahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaa! OK, that's enough random ANT-humor.

Not perfect but far better than expected

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
21 July 2011

As much as I did grow up on Disney, I do dislike most of the stuff on the Disney Channel nowadays. I do like very much Sonny with a Chance, Good Luck Charlie and Phineas and Ferb, but there are some like Hannah Montana and Shake it Up that I can't stand, I find those shows irritating and unfunny.

I actually wasn't expecting much from A.N.T Farm, but got far more than I expected and in a good way. I can understand though why some mayn't like A.N.T. Farm, some of it is cheesy(with a rather edgy reference to Satan at one point) and the pilot episode is not as funny or as exciting as the other episodes(the haunted locker episode was one of the better episodes).

That said, I do think A.N.T. Farm has potential to grow. A lot of TV series when they first start are rocky to start with, and get better until they're great. Although A.N.T. Farm has only just started, it's not bad, in fact I like it.

For instance, the production values are well above average, with trendy fashions, sets that don't look tacky and good(if not award-worthy) photography. The music is also very memorable and catchy, with nice melodies and lyrics that make sense and are intelligible.

The writing is amusing mostly, some of it is cheesy, but the dialogue does make me laugh and the jokes are not as clichéd or as stale as they can be on some Disney Channel shows. The story lines may have some predictable moments, but overall they're interesting and well paced.

I personally really like the characters. Chyna is very charismatic and fun, and the actress who plays her seems to be having a ball playing her, but my favourites are Lexi and Olive, played very appealingly by Stefanie Scott and Sierra McCormick. Paisley, Gibson and especially Fletcher are also fun characters. The actors do have chemistry, and I was most surprised by the singing, the lead actress has real talent and could go a long way with a voice like that.

In conclusion, this show to start with is not perfect, but it's far better than expected and has room to grow. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Fun

Author: Tara Howie from United States
10 January 2014

This show is just stupid fun so if you are expecting a great series with a lot of seriousness to it you should stick to something like Breaking Bad or Boardwalk Empire. It is about China, a girl who is seen as being a very gifted child, so she goes away to a very special training school and basically becomes an action superstar and also very smart. I'm not sure what else to say about this show other than what I have already. The gags in it are kind of fun but again nothing genius here, it is just a fun no-brainer show to have some fun wasting time and watching with friends. I need to write another line so I will just say check it out.

Intelligent and absurd comedy for families

Author: Eric Endres from United States
4 January 2014

I am 44 years old, so A.N.T. Farm is a show I never intended to watch at all, and certainly didn't think would become one of my favorite shows. I have two girls, and I happened to sit down with them one day while A.N.T. Farm was on, and though it took a few minutes, I was hooked. I was frequently laughing, and also impressed with the intelligence of the humor. (And that intelligence includes the "dumbness" of characters like Paisley and Gibson and Cameron. Writing good "dumb" characters is not easy.)

A.N.T. Farm is unique among family shows for its absurdist style and wit. Think Monty Python or Demetri Martin or the satirical edge of The Simpsons, but suitable for all ages. Like any series, some shows are better than others, but most episodes have a good number of laughs, and a few that are particularly clever. The main actors portraying Chyna, Olive, Fletcher, Angus and Lexi are all very engaging, and the supporting cast is colorful and interesting.

I'm a little less crazy about the setting change for season 3. The absurdity of the show seemed to contrast better against the more typical setting of an average high school, as opposed to the absurd setting of a super school run by a zany Steve Jobs type. Here's hoping, if there is a season 4, that they can return to the original school. But the show is still highly entertaining and intelligent, regardless.

I'm surprised to see A.N.T. Farm so poorly rated here, but I think it perhaps requires more thought and attention to appreciate than typical sitcoms. I consider myself pretty well versed in comedy, and I write comedy for children as part of my career, and there are some jokes on the show that I don't get right away. That makes A.N.T. Farm a great show for repeat viewings, as you can appreciate the humor more than once and even pick up new things the second time through.

If I have any quibble about the show, it's that some of my favorite characters (e.g., Gibson, Paisley, Skidmore, Cameron) have been written out or lost from the cast, except for rare cameos, and essentially replaced with less interesting and funny characters (e.g., Zoltan, Winter, Hippo). There are also rare times when the show can forget what its real strength is (absurd comedy), and meander into something more typical of sitcoms for children, where a lesson is learned or character relationships are strengthened, or a performance is featured (i.e., Chyna singing a song). Thankfully, these times aren't that frequent, and often include some humor as well, but I do think I'd prefer if the show just owned its silliness all of the time.

Still, though it may not get the appreciation it deserves, A.N.T. Farm is one of the most entertaining and intelligent comedy series on TV in recent years (and yes, I'm including adult shows in that comparison).

Characters out of balance

Author: rscampb from USA
19 October 2011

This show really needs to be reworked. It seems to be a Hannah Montana knock-off. The lead character is a singer (without the secret identity). Since the show began I have come to seriously dislike the Chyna Parks character she is constantly bossing her friends around insisting that they do what she wants with little concern for their feelings of ideas. The show would be much better if she went from a lead character to a costar and they elevated the other characters to equal status. The two cheerleaders Lexi and Paisley are good though they should make Paisley a bit smarter (she is in High School after all). And Lexi's schemes always make me laugh. The Angus character just needs to go away he is absolutely useless. Since the show began he was only useful in one episode. Finesse Mitchell is hilarious as the dad (Darryl) but I think that there are some Cops out there that may not care for him. Overall if they tone down Chyna and spotlight the other characters this show will be a really good show.

Update: After watching pretty much every episode I think I have figured out the basic storyline for each episode.

The show opens with one or more of the cast members either wanting to do something not wanting to do something or doing something.

Enter Chyna. She sees what is happening and she either doesn't want the cast member do something, wants them to do something or wants to do it herself.

She comes up with a plan to get her way; regardless of what her "friend(s)" want.

She drafts her "friends" into helping her. Her plan fails. She sings a song.

Chyna's "friends" apologize.

I put "friends" in parenthesis because she doesn't treat them like true friends. Also they are still using the autotuner for Chyna's songs. This is usually used for people that do not sing very well. So its use confuses me since I cannot believe that Disney would have somebody sing if they really can't

Good show for kids.

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
6 May 2014

It's cute, silly and a bit of fun. Although it will never win any awards it still has it's charm. The characters may be a little weird and out there but they are entertaining in their own ways. China Anne McClain is certainly the star of the show and has great potential. The occasional catchy fun song is thrown in from time to time which also adds to the likability of the show. While it is not superb television it will entertain you.

There are good episodes and bad ones and luckily they ended the show on a high before it dragged out too long. It is great for kids, not so much for people with short attention spans but it really is not that bad.

One word: UNREALISTIC

Author: nikicamatanovic from Slovenia
12 March 2014

Disney never stops with a "good" old singing idea, which is one of the main topics in the show. But it mainly centers on a school, with a special program for gifted kids. Sounds like a preety good idea, but Disney proved us wrong, with OBNOXCIOUS characters, horrible script and acting, and unrealistic plots.

Let me start with the characters. As the show goes on, that Olive girl proves, that she gets bitchier and bitchier. During the first season, she was my favoruite character, but now I hate her, for constantly screaming at Fletcher, who gets more and more stupid. I found him preety likable, before someone turned him into a Chyna-obsessed bubblehead. So, while all the characters get more and more flaws, Chyna manages to get more and more "perfect". I mean, she saves the day in every episode, the script is trying to prove, how beautiful, helpful and talented she is, plus she sings. IN EVERY DAMN EPISODE!!! At first I thought, that the actress's voice is very good, but hearing it autotuned in terrible songs over and over again, made me hate it. Chyna is also selfish, manipulating, mean, egoistic... A Disbey channel show wouldn't be a Disney channel show, without a popular mean girl. I know I said, that Fletcher was a bubblehead, but Lexi might be a bigger one. Why would a sixteen year old be jealous of a little kid with an average voice? Oh, did I mention, that the acting is soooo incredibly bad? Those kids aren't acting, they are just saying their lines!

Before I finish, I must complain about one more thing. The adults are the ones, acting like little kids! It upset the most, when the dad said, he loves chyna more, than her brother. Who does that?! This show needs to be canceled, before the world is filled with children, who act like those characters.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]