IMDb > "The Fades" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Fades"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Fades" More at IMDbPro »

Another great supernatural show from the BBC

Author: deardarkness from United Kingdom
22 September 2011

Following on from the launch of Being Human a couple of years back, BBC 3 have struck gold again with The Fades. Teenager Paul (Iain De Caestecker) disturbed by apocalyptic dreams for years stumbles across their possible cause whilst trespassing with his best friend and film referencing geek Mac (Daniel Kaluuya).

Paul like so many characters from great TV shows is not your average teenager, he is special and can see the Fades - the ghosts of people who didn't move on. Now he must help to stop the future he sees in his dreams from coming true.

The show packs a lot of lore and mythology into its first episode and it will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

Er... Wow!

Author: Emily Shirley (emily-583) from Hamburg, Germany
15 October 2011

If I'd reviewed Fades after episode 1, I'd have given it a very impressed 7. After episode 3, I'd definitely have upgraded that to an 8. Now, however, I'm reviewing this refreshing, brilliantly suspenseful BBC Three thriller after episode 4 and I'm caught between a 9 and a 10.

This series has captivated me since the first trailer ran on BBC One a couple of months ago. It's dark, deep, clever and truly captivating and is a perfect example of the quality we should be expecting from the BBC. This series is just brilliant.

The plot is complex, twisting and turning with surprises galore, and the acting is superb with a few faces you've seen before, and some younger actors who have bright futures ahead of them.

I wonder how this series will rank once we get further into the series. With the way it's improving, I think we may need to ask IMDb to add a couple of numbers to their ranking system! The only annoyance? Having to wait a week to see what happens in episode 5!

Surprisingly good! it continues to get better and better

Author: noumeron from G
17 October 2011

First episodes were a little plot-thick and a little hard to convince that there is a solid scenario behind the series. But thank god i decided to continue watching this! After episode 3 and especially 4 the series went into another level! Plot gaps were filled, effects are pretty decent, actors are really really good and if it continues like this we will be talking about the horror highlight of the year. So I'm giving it a 10 because it manages to avoid so many clichés of the genre, remain fresh and very very promising. I'm really excited about how the story unfolds and i hope this isn't a some kind of 6-episode season;p

Just gets better and better - a classic unfolds before my eyes - thank you again BBC!

Author: Matthew Lewis from Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
5 October 2011

Surreal (yet almost believable) - get the kids off to bed because they'll be freaked in no uncertain measure! Your six year old will be certain there's a monster in the dark places. I'm not the kind for listing actors names or plot synopsis - my reviews are just an emotional impression based on whether I'm hooked or not (which makes the 'ten line mandatory rule'of IMDb a bit frustrating at times)- I'll leave the name dropping to the geeks that love that kind of thing. What I can say is the story is absorbing, cashing in on the apocalyptic view of the world that we all seem to have at the moment, yet not cashing in as it's intelligent, witty and philosophical in its approach; (morons won't get the 'message's', but will enjoy the action, freak factor and the odd naked teenager.....well almost naked). There isn't one dud or wooden performance in here, a solid script backed up by solid acting that makes you beg for more of the story; a real 'I can't wait!' kind of effect (on me anyway), clever underplayed directing (the best kind in my view as it's more 'real', yet it's not Dogme). Do I have my mandatory ten lines yet, let's see? YUP

Superb, well crafted show with tons of potential

Author: markjohnevans79 from United Kingdom
21 October 2011

What can I say about this show other than its great.

Interesting, well developed characters you really care about. An original story with compelling subplots. The mostly young, mostly unknown actors all play their parts with heart and soul. All in all a well acted, well thought out new show.

Recently I began to watch two new shows, this one and Terra Nova. Whilst I was fully aware of Terra Nova (and it was hard not to be with all the money Fox threw at advertising it) I found The Fades entirely by accident (and was already 4 episodes in). After watching the first episode of The Fades I was hooked and immediately dived into the other three. After watching the first three episodes of Terra Nova I decided not to watch anymore. These two shows highlight the current gulf in quality between American and British sci-fi/ fantasy with America starting to really fall behind (with honourable exceptions to Supernatural and The Walking Dead). Whilst Terra Nova boasts a massive budget and tons of CGI, its characters are weak, its plots are derivative and clichéd and all around is frankly uninteresting. The Fades has a tenth of its budget but manages to stand head and shoulders above it in terms of quality. American shows clearly have no respect for the intelligence of their audience and believe people are simpletons who will clap happily at expensive special effects and big explosions. Therefore, for the moment at least, I think I'm sticking with British shows like The Fades who do not feel they need to hold the hand of the viewer and prefer to rely on well crafted stories than meaningless CGI (then again American shows stopped being about storytelling long ago and these days are simply a vehicle to sell advertising).

The Fades has the potential to run for many years and puts me in mind of another BBC success that came from humble beginnings, Being Human. I can't recommend this show highly enough and if you yearn for fantasy with substance then this show is for you.

As a footnote I'd just like to make a prediction. The date today is Oct 21st 2011. I guarantee at some point in the future an American network will take note of The Fades and, as they always do, rather than simply re-showing the British version will remake it for American audiences. It'll boast a bigger budget but will end up, as every other one has, a pale imitation of a better quality original. It's about time the main American networks (and those who enjoy their p*ss poor programming) had a bit of humility and realised that their way is not automatically the best way.

More Story Less FX

Author: freelybound
28 October 2011

Well I have to say I loved it...and for the exact reason that there is more of a story to be told instead of holes in a story being filled up and/or hidden behind millions of dollars of CGI and other SPECIAL effects. While yes I will agree that perhaps the first episode was a bit slow at first but then I have found that to be true with some really good books as well as movies. For me..there were just enough effects to make this series special and I hope they keep it going by doing a second season. I'm an American living in the Netherlands and I watch a lot of British T.V. as well as Dutch and in the last few years having the opportunity to watch more movies and shows made in the U.K. I think many of what comes out of the U.K. is fresh and down to earth...no matter what the genre. The American market proves it yearly with all the programs that they copy for British television and import it to America and make it nothing like the original.

Excellent Show

Author: Scuba Head from United States
19 October 2011

Although I was not sure how the show would turn out when started watching Episode 1, I realized what a great show it is. I think casting is great and it is an excellent horror show. You never know what will happen next. I hope to see this show lasting several seasons.

I highly recommend this show who is into horror and want to have a good time.

Ms.Wu is doing a great job in acting as well. 8 out of 10.

It can be put in the same category as Walking Dead (Season 2 just started by the way)

I am looking forward to watching new episodes.

Cheers

Great show , original and breathtaking .

Author: stefgrig from Greece
12 June 2012

I really have my expectations lowered these days , most series seem to follow a formula , and while most aren't bad , they aren't good either . Well thats how I feel , and maybe the problem is me watching too many of them .

But every now and then a diamond comes along , a surprise , a series that achieves excellence in so many departments that perfection is within reach . And I don't write these words lightly .

This is one of those diamonds . What a wonderful surprise . This geeky couple of friends will win you over from the first scene . They pulse with life , so fully fleshed a character set I have not seen for a long time . And a great story . So unexpected , so full of twists and turns .

But you get even more . A villain that you can understand . A tortured soul that only wants to live . A group of heroes that has no clear cut mission , having to withstand so much ..

Add excellent acting , atmosphere , a plot that just makes you want more , and here it is lady's and gents , The Fades . I love it , and I bet you will too .

A+++ Original UK Series

Author: gbkimberley from Melbourne, Australia
18 November 2011

The Fades is a terrific original series that I couldn't wait to see each week.

Thankfully it's a UK produced show so, even though the first season ended in a nicely rounded off manner, we were still left with the possibility of a return next year, unlike the American produced quality programs which seem to get cancelled on the whim of some executive who decides that because he doesn't like it no-one will.

The Fades isn't expensively made, it doesn't feature established stars and it doesn't run for more than the usual (UK) 6 episodes, but it's quality.

We have Mr Joe Belowaverage (Paul) thrust into the unfamiliar realm of Fades; ghosts of people who have died and not ascended and Angelics; living people who have the ability to see Fades and interact with them.

Paul, very ably supported by his best mate and wing-man Mac, finds out that he's also an Angelic just at the time where the Fades (royally pi**ed off because they haven't been able to ascend) decide it's time to hit back.

There's a well balanced mix of surprises, thrills, horror, humour, and pathos with this series and I can't wait for Season 2.

I highly recommend it and guarantee you will too if you watch more than one episode.

*Update: Well it seems that The Fades has run into an American style TV Executive and has not been renewed for a 2nd season after all :( Don't let that stop you from seeing this excellent series though because, as I mentioned above, it does finish in a nicely rounded off fashion and doesn't leave you hanging out for answers.

One of The Most Brilliant British Shows

Author: lasherxl from Slightly North of Hell
5 February 2012

Now I will agree with those other reviewers it did take a few episodes to lay in the groundwork of the show, but believe you me, it is all well worth the wait. Though its not to say that there aren't great points in the eps 1-3, but when episode 4 hits the ground running its when all the juicy bits of preamble come together to form a smorgasborg of tasty horrific goodness or evilness or... well you get the point.

Everything from here on out has this stark savage urgency, it twists and turns on the head of a nail. I cannot deny this his quickly become one of my favourite new shows, its so unpredictable and I had goosebumps thru all of ep. 4, which is not a feat easily achieved with me.

If you like a good mix of horror with a smattering of apocalyptic wonderland this is clearly the show for you.