IMDb > 3, 2, 1... Frankie Go Boom (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Frankie Go Boom

3, 2, 1... Frankie Go Boom More at IMDbPro »Frankie Go Boom (original title)

Hilarious

Author: purplewombat1923 from Australia
27 December 2012

Before I watched this movie, I looked up the reviews on IMDb. A few people gave it a good score, but many said it was crap. In fact, the ratings were so bad, I had to see for myself how bad it really was. I'm so glad I did. It was hilarious! Chris O'Dowd, Charlie Hunnam, Ron Perlman & Chris Noth were all excellent! Chris O'Dowd is funny in pretty much any movie I've seen him in, but I actually hadn't seen Charlie Hunnam in anything except Sons of Anarchy before this. I was surprised at how marvellous both he and Ron Perlman were in a comedic role. Please don't be put off by all the negative reviews. If you aren't offended by sex talk or occasional nudity, I thoroughly recommend it. By the way, I'm a 57 year old grandmother! 7.5/10

hilarious comedy

Author: Rory Holland from Canada
9 April 2012

Frankie does what great comedies do. The movie sets up a very 'unlikely' scenario through which the characters must find their way. The movie doesn't shy away from many, if any of the social issues of our day but Jordan Roberts has taken a very fresh approach and thus each scene has both real hilarity and real humanity. Not enough can be said of the cast. To a person they bring such good work. Stand outs are the lead Charlie Hunnam, and his love interest Lizze Caplan. Of course, both Chris Noth and Ron Perlman fill the screen with their scene stealing roles.

While clearly working with a small, indie budget Roberts and his team have created a quality film with tremendous production values, that can easily compete with movies that cost much more to make.

decide for yourself-it is a different kind of humor-overall it IS a comedy

Author: tojoehenry from United States
7 April 2013

Frankie goes boom, sometimes , to me , seems too "real" to be funny, but at that same moment , it makes you laugh, ...so, ...hard to describe,

It has a real "grittiness" to the humor,...I kept saying to myself, this is not going to be funny"...and then finding myself laughing ...

I am on my third watching, so it has my "re watcher" stamp, but still that feeling remains.

"franky goes boom' has the ability to make you uncomfortable, it also has the ability to make you laugh...

I definitely recommend "franky" as a comedy , but you REALLY need to have a sense of humor--if not , you wont enjoy.

It got a 7 out of ten rating , and a re watcher stamp from me .

I'm not a comedy fan, but...

Author: BlackWoodRabbit from United States
12 February 2014

I'm not a comedy fan but I loved this film. I've been disappointed and disillusioned by so-called comedies far too many times, but this film had me laughing loudly and joyfully. Yes, the humor may be crass but it has genuine heart which can only be achieved through great writing and great acting. Frankie Go Boom is not a dumb movie, and neither is the writer/director, or anyone else involved. It is what it is, and what it is, is cute, hilarious, wicked and possibly for some (mainly the humiliated and deranged) cathartic. There is not one mis-cast actor nor one ill-written line. If you can handle transgender, painful family discussions, jokes about addiction and a near-death experience by a farm animal I highly recommend this film.

Could Be Better

Author: Laura Barclay
5 December 2013

This movie was pretty mediocre, but had some nice moments. I found my toes would start to curl at the pure stupidity of some of the actions the characters take: if you like slapstick sex comedies and dumb decisions, then your gonna love this movie. The interactions of the family was entertaining and casting was quite good (Charlie and Chris kinda actually look like brothers). A few plot holes and unexplained events that weren't explicit enough, but it generally made sense and was not to distracting.

Points: 2 points were given for good jokes. 2 points for sufficient characterization and plot development. 1 point for good pacing of movie. 1 point for Charlie Hunnam (hothothothot).

Not terrible for the art film it is

Author: Julieallee from United States
27 June 2013

If you watch this as an "art film" instead of a blockbuster, it isn't a bad movie. It isn't a great movie either though. However, for SOA fans, it is worth watching just for Ron Perlman's performance - which was the best part of the film IMHO - and was by far the funniest parts. Charlie is good too, and as another reviewer said, it is good to see him outside his typical bad boy Jax role. I do think he is a relatable character in this movie - probably the only one really - though his character isn't as fully developed as it could have been. It seems like this was a much longer movie and was cut down...with some of the good parts missing. In the end, the movie had much more potential, but just doesn't live up to what I think the actors involved were actually capable of...it may just be that I don't appreciate the directing/editing as it is done.

Really funny movie

Author: Aleph Taw from Akkad
11 February 2013

The only thing I didn't like about this movie was actually the one thing I thought would be the most hilarious about it. But in the end Ron Perlman's appearance was just over the top and none of his lines were really that funny. Jax Teller and Clay Morrow stoned and dancing together, well, there was a hint of fun, nothing more, nothing less.

The rest of the movie however was really funny, at least from where I'm standing. Especially Lizzy Caplan and Chris Noth were outrageously hilarious, with Chris O'Dowd and Charlie Hunnam finishing a close second.

Additionally, if you're a SOA disciple, like me, then you will get an extra kick out of seeing Charlie Hunnam as this quirky normalo who is worlds and worlds away from being his hard as nails SOA alter ego who is the president of a one per center biker gang.

Yes, sometimes this whole thing gets really weird, but they somehow manage to stay in bounds and don't go completely overboard when it comes to the funny moments. Except for Ron Perlman's drag/post-op transsexual persona.

All in all a very enjoyable experience for me and I'm sure to watch this one again.

Of Pigs and Pools

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
20 October 2013

A routine sex comedy, "3,2,1...Frankie Go Boom" revolves a young writer whose life is ruined when an embarrassing video of him goes viral. He attempts to get he video removed from the internet, but to no avail.

"Boom" is at its best when actor Ron Perlman is on screen. Cast against type, he plays a macho transvestite who's struggling with a gender reassignment operation. It's a bizarre role, but the rest of "Boom" isn't as funny or madcap as it thinks it is. The film co-stars the ravishing Lizzay Caplain and ragged Chris O'Dowd. It was written and directed by Jordan Roberts, who co-wrote "March of the Penguins".

6/10 - Worth one viewing.

Someone please shoot Chris O'Dowd in the face

Author: SnoopyStyle
6 December 2013

Frank Bartlett (Charlie Hunnam) is constantly being humiliated by his drug addicted douche brother Bruce (Chris O'Dowd). Bruce films all of Frank's humiliation including an especially sorry episode of Frank's failed wedding. Now in rehab, Bruce continues to film Frank's worst moments as his film project. Frank has an embarrassing night with Lassie (Lizzy Caplan) who has her own nightmare alcoholic crazy father Jack (Chris Noth).

Bruce is a douche, and the problem is everybody enables him. It's as if Zach Galifianakis in the Hangover is treated as the hero. I don't understand why Jordan Roberts thinks it would work. And the fact that Frank is so inept makes him look pathetic. He really NEEDS to shoot his brother in the face.

I did like the chemistry between Charlie Hunnam and Lizzy Caplan. The scene in the shed was actually very funny and touching. Sadly, the rom-com was overshadowed by Bruce's doucheness. And Nora Dunn is especially horrible as the mom who sides completely with Bruce. OK don't shoot him, just put a bat to his face. At least in the Hangover, everybody knows Galifianakis is an idiot.

A Few Fun Moments but It Tries Too Hard

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
3 August 2013

Every so often, you'll find a fun little independent comedy that comes along and blows every mainstream, nation-wide release out of the water for that year. FRANKIE GO BOOM is not one of these movies. It is a comedy and it does have a little bit of fun to it, but for the most part the movie is one of those middle of the road mediocre comedies that will easily find itself forgotten before it's ever really noticed. This is what makes FRANKIE GO BOOM so disappointing: it's not good and it's not bad enough to be fun. Watching this movie, I cracked a few smiles and might have even chuckled a few times but, when I try to remember any particular standout moment from the movie, I only come up with the nightmarish image of Ron Perlman's butt. This is not the response a good comedy wants from its audience. For those unaware, FRANKIE GO BOOM is about a writer (the titular Frankie, played by Charlie Hunnam) and his ex-drug addict, aspiring filmmaker brother Bruce (Chris O'Dowd). Frankie is called home from his isolated trailer in the middle of Death Valley, where he lives after having been humiliated at his own wedding by his brother. Bruce has spent his entire life tormenting his brother on film, and Frankie is horrified to discover that his brother hasn't given up his film obsession. He almost believes that Bruce might've changed his ways but a chance meeting with a beautiful woman (Lizzy Caplan) and a night of problematic loving leads to the realization that Bruce might've caught the entire embarrassing event on tape. And soon that tape makes its to the Internet and the hands of Bruce's unstable fellow recovering addict (Chris Noth) who happens to be that woman's father. Prepare for a forgettable adventure as Frankie and Bruce try to stop that tape from ruining Frankie's budding relationship or, you know, getting them killed at the hands of a violent psychopath.

I needed a second viewing to determine that this movie wasn't just offensively boring. There are a few funny moments here. I don't remember exactly where they were though. The movie is filled with things that expected to be funny, just because. You might need an example to understand what I'm talking about: Jack, Bruce's addict/actor friend, owns a pet pig. Pigs are funny, yes? Not enough? All right, the pig is launched into a pool and proceeds to throw up on Frankie before his date with Lassie (Lizzy Caplan's character, not the collie). There's no real joke. Just a pig nearly drowning and then puking on Frankie. I get the same vibe from Ron Perlman's character, a post-op transgender ex-convict named Phyllis. We're supposed to laugh because it's Rob Perlman, an admittedly rough-looking dude, in drag. Very bad drag. Phyllis goes on to chat about his/her former genitals kept in a jar and becoming very upset when Frankie doesn't want to see them. This is the whole joke: a particularly unattractive transgender person pushing an uncomfortable man into seeing his pickled junk. There are a lot of little moments like this in the movie, and it doesn't make for a real laugh-out-loud sort of comedy.

It's a shame this movie is so tame because the ingredients are all there for a real fun time. Chris O'Dowd is great. I've been catch more and more of his work since first seeing him as the love interest in BRIDESMAIDS (for the record, the BBC's "The IT Crowd" is great). The problem with his character Bruce is that he's, you know, a sociopath. You almost become as frustrated watching him as Frankie does dealing with him. I find it hard to believe that Bruce doesn't understand the problem with what he does. He becomes a caricature. So does Frankie. Frankie (Hunnam) is pretty one-dimensional. He's just the 'frustrated sibling'… grumbling, sighing, and throwing his hands into the air in exasperation. He doesn't bring anything interesting to the character, though I imagine that's more the writer/director Jordan Roberts' fault. There is no depth to the characters and the movie plods along from gag to gag while eliciting no more than a few chuckles. FRANKIE GOES BOOM wants to be a comedy in the vein of HAROLD & KUMAR but it doesn't come close. The one element of the film that goes so far as to aggravate me is the nonsensical resolution. We spend the entire movie with these two clowns as they chase down anyone that might be able to help them take the movie off-line and prevent Jack from seeing it, and the ending we're given makes no sense whatsoever. I can tell Roberts must have had some problems coming up with a good ending for his movie, so he had a few drinks to help him finish it and just shot whatever ramblings he woke up to in the morning.

FRANKIE GO BOOM is a movie that has come and gone before most people probably had a chance to realize it existed. There is a lot of potential here and it sucks to see it go nowhere, especially when there are some talent people in the cast. Frankie doesn't go boom because FRANKIE is, well, a dud.