IMDb > Apollo 18 (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Apollo 18

Apollo 18 More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 34: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Bit weird but still nice

Author: hurmzz1 from Netherlands
11 September 2011

This movie (is made to) look like a montage of retrieved tapes from the camera's brought to the moon in 1972. This means that the camera isn't always steady (like in Cloverfield) and that the quality is a bit bad with static sometimes but it is made to look that way. I think it only help's in getting into the old feeling of the movie.

The first part of the movie looks pretty much like a documentary about going to the moon, but hey, what would you expect. I thought it actually was a bit educating. After that some unexpected things (for the astronauts) start to happen and then the weird things begin. The camera quality and way of filming really helps in feeling the fear of the astronauts.

I read somewhere the last 10 minutes of this movie would be really shocking. Well this actually started the last 15 minutes of the film, with in the beginning the scene's of terror really build op good, then it dies out (probably because I don't thought of the inhumane but necessary message the astronauts get as really shocking, it just seemed logic to me:) ) and then the last 8 minutes the terror gets back but unlike in the beginning of the last 15 minutes, now the scene's last a bit to long, but they are still very nice and frightening.

Overall: a bit weird but nice movie, although i think you must be into the "going to the moon in the 70's" theme to really like it.(like I did)

Decent found-footage horror flick; if you like that genre, you should like this

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
4 September 2011

A found-footage horror movie that purports to have been recovered from NASA's secret final moon mission in the early 1970s. If you're a fan of found-footage horror movies, this one is definitely worth seeing. It follows the formula a little too closely, and in the end it's a tad disappointing. But, I must say, this is the only genre of horror movies that pretty much always scares me. It's all about keeping the threat off screen for as long as possible, giving only hints of it until the film nears the end. They rely mostly on boo! moments and loud noises, but it generally works, at least for me. There's a nice sense of dread for quite a while in the film, and, like The Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity, I was watching it with my eyes slightly averted from the screen. The ending of this one is pretty silly, and it denies us a final twist that it hints at frequently. Like those previous two movies I mentioned, I'll never watch this again, but I was quite entertained while watching it.

Apollo 18 Short Review

Author: DavidTL from United Kingdom
3 September 2011

Interesting and realistic-feeling setting with good psychological effects. Early reviews were negative saying it was predictable and non-scary but yes some parts were predictable, but only if you stopped paying attention to the film and thought about it. There are good scares, even though they are "jump scares". But this was a film when it doesn't matter if it was predictable and had obvious scares, it was just a fun scary intense film that makes you think. If you enjoy films with a good government conspiracy or found-footage films then you should enjoy this. Imagine it like a Blair Witch Project except it's outer-space and instead of any witches its aliens that do get seen briefly at a few points

Dumbest crap I've seen since paranormal activity

Author: Steeb Habeeb from United States
30 January 2012

Terrible acting, terrible plot, terrible science behind it. These people make stupid movies! The creatures are making sound on the moon, which is not possible due to the lack of air. They even re-used a scene in the paranormal activity movie with someone standing over someone sleeping and slowly rocking back and fourth. This is only creepy once! Why would there not be tracks already on the moon the first time they landed? They just happened to notice this after several moon landings? OR was life on the moon just not walking around until they happened to show up. Bottom line, this is barely creepy, not scary, and borderline sleep inducing.

A frightening journey

Author: Daniel Dercksen (daniel@writingstudio.co.za) from South Africa
4 November 2011

If you put Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity through a blender, the result is this frightening journey into the realm of astronauts and their 'real-life' encounters on the moon. Directed by Gonzalo Lopez-Gallego and produced by Timur Bekmambetov, the sci-fi horror centers around a fictional premise of an actual Apollo 18 mission that was launched in December 1974, that supposedly never returned and as a result, signified the real reason why the United States never commissioned another expedition to the Moon. It is a well-made film that is gripping in its style and will draw you deeper into the unknown. The reality of what really happened is overshadowed by the immense possibility of what could have happened. This is what makes it so intriguing, the fact that there is no distinction between the what if and the what did.

Blair Witch in space

Author: farcpr from Cherry Hill, NJ
2 September 2011

*** This review contains lots of spoilers ***

Camera action right out of Blair witch. A boring story of three astronauts going on a secret mission that turns into a horror story with spiders. The spiders are more hinted at than actually shown. The camera problems were supposed to be '70s transmissions from space with lots of noise. Lots of noise that sounded like haunted house sounds. The noisy video actually ended up with several second of completely blank screen on more than one occasion. The spiders, who apparently morph into spiders from small rocks, managed to get under the skin (Alien like) of one of the astronauts. They find a Russian lunar lander and one dead Russian astronaut. They wonder out loud why there wasn't a second astronaut, but like most of the little mystery's in this movie they never tie that one up.

Perhaps there are those who like amateur (bad) camera work but it was used as a special effect in this movie to excess.

Skip this movie, go see Horrible Bosses again. Don't waste your money on this movie it will be available on DVD next week.

Waste of time and money

Author: Seany Exton from United Kingdom
10 July 2014

This has to be one of the worst science fiction movies i have ever seen!It has a plot line that is thinner than an old age pensioners skin,you can literally see every cliché coming at you from a mile away and then swallowed down by some disappointing not so special effects. You will wish you had spent the time learning something new or feeding the cat.Its terrible.I hope they didn't pay the unknown actors a lot of money because they certainly didn't earn it.The acting is rather dull and the characters are one dimensional.You feel nothing towards them and you simply don't care if they live or die.The directing is none existent and the production is the same.In conclusion this movie should be left in the blackness of space never to reach any human hand ever again!

Apollo 18.... I feel like I've just been Justin Beibered to death.

Author: ghostmachine000
10 April 2014

The movie catch phrase is "There's a reason we've never gone back to the moon." Know I know why..And the reason is this..... López-Gallego's first English-language movie and why we've never heard of him before. This guys movie making sucks sasquatch ass. It's a big hairy stink. There is nothing good or remotely scary about this film. Stupid, stupid, stupid. This movie is bad, really bad. If for no other reason than the lunar landing module, in most scenes, has ~~~~~~~Gravity~~~~~~~ Did the movie makers want us to believe that the laws of physics don't apply if your an idiot? This is one of those movies that some schmuck had an extra million dollars and said "Hey...I'll make a movie. It'll be a good tax write off.' Poor acting, poor script, poor production value, poor effects and computer graphics. There is not a low enough rating for this stinker. I give it a big BLACK HOLE. Let's hope it get's sucked into it and disappears.

Very very good

Author: Leif Barbre Knudsen from Copenhagen, Denmark
24 April 2012

This is a very thought provoking movie. The documentary format comes across fine and gives a good impression of something that could have happened. The creepy feeling of being stuck on the moon and the slow frustration seems very plausible and that is the pivoting point. If you don't buy into this feeling then this movie is not for you.

I am amazed how this film has called all the burping beer drinkers out of the woodwork. I grant it that the those expecting a Rambo Fights Alien or Starwars 117 is sorely disappointed. This movie is for those liking Kubricks 2001 or Stanislaw Lens Solaris. It is slow, downplayed and feels realistic - that's the genius of this movie gem. This is an intelligent movie and it apparently puts off the bulk audience/reviewer craving a Hollywood has-it-all an-explotion-every-5-seconds drivel. So be it. I loved it!

Yet another missed opportunity.

Author: mylucylumpkins
6 January 2012

I had mixed feelings of watching this film in the first place. On one hand, you have the concept of an alien invader in the classical John Carpenter's The Thing way, which leads one to believe that you might cough up the big bucks and see it in theater. Then, you sit back and try to think of when the last time you saw anything good in theater was, and it makes you change your mind. I did rent this one with low expectations, and I was not disappointed. I knew it was most likely not going to be a strong enough plot, nor cast, nor film making to be the least bit intriguing, and I was right. The film is another one of those that could have been a great film if the concept was put into the right hands, unfortunately it wasn't. The actors were a little over the top on more of a solider character kick instead of one which is science based. Not to mention that it took so long to get into anything remotely interesting that I felt that I was traveling the light-years. Also, I understand that it was supposed to be the 'lost footage,' but there was still room for improvement in the camera movement. Then, the big reveal... an aaallliiieeeennn.... spider? Really? What a waste of $1.07.