IMDb > Apollo 18 (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Apollo 18

Apollo 18 More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 33: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

much better then thought it was going be

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
2 October 2012

Seen this now, i don't know why, I have been avoiding this one over the year. I was expecting it to be really dull and boring movie..

It was not as boring as I thought it was going to be, well start of slow like all the other found footage movies then gets going before the half hour mark.

I found really enjoyable for most of part of the movie, there was decent amount of Jumps scene in this movie. some jumps scene worked and some missed the mark a little.

The acting was really good from small cast crew, the ending was really predicable.

As I had low expectation of this movie, I found it much better then thought it was going be, not one of best Found footage movies, Decent movie for this genre 5 out of 10

here's what you need to know

Author: wolfhorse from United States
31 December 2011

Okay here is what u need to know about this movie. Not worth paying for at the movies. If I had to sit in a theater for this I'd be mad but at home OK. BUT worth it for Pay per view or to rent. If you liked Blair witch and like science fiction, you will like, not love, this. If you're older and hate Blair witch, the nostalgia of the moon landings will carry you thru. pretty good movie tho not great.

my goal is to give reviews that let u know what your in for, not nitpick and discuss film techniques,directors, or show my "expertise" in film making. just tell ya if it's a stinker or not.

and to make my minimum ten lines it's good not great. time killer but worth watching.

Interesting Sci-Fi movie

Author: risteen59 from United States
12 November 2011

Decades-old found footage from NASA's abandoned Apollo 18 mission.

Where two American astronauts were sent on a secret expedition.

Reveals the reason the U.S. has never returned to the moon.

The film is as close as you can get to a NASA film Good acting by all actors.

Sets & designs are excellent.

Special effects are good.

The movie plays more on the unknown of space with the mood of the actors.

The ending is expected.

Pretty good actually

Author: mcgregor34 from France
6 December 2011

I watched the movie yesterday. It's Blair witch in space mixed with Alien and Paranormal Activity for the view angle. All in all, it isn't so bad. I kinda enjoyed it, but I LOVE space related movies, so maybe I'm not objective. The acting is OK, even if unshaved astronauts in the 70's are unlikely. A little bit too many poor FX : mainly fake static on camera. Fake static is OK if not used too often, but in this movie it's like every ten seconds, I mean, come on. One of my favorite movies are the star treks and 2001.

tl;dr : It's neither really frightening, nor gruesome. Not boring. Worth watching it.

An interesting and entertaining movie

Author: Cristiantel from Romania
10 November 2011

Well... I really enjoyed watching Apollo 13, especially knowing the history of the real mission, so I've been very happy to see that they made another Apollo mission movie.

Although is more a sci-fi than a history-based movie, the way they mixed real footage with actually filmed ones for Apollo 18 and the effort to keep the movie decent as far as the used technology concerns, is very clever and the result was much appreciated by me. Those few inaccuracies relating the moon gravity and the sound in the vacuum didn't spoil my pleasure watching the movie.

As a conclusion, is a realistic and very interesting movie.

A decent horror experience

Author: BastiaanKnol from Netherlands
20 September 2011

When the first teaser of Apollo 18 was released it immediately got my attention. And for those who can't but seem to ask the question: "Is this real or not", judge by watching it yourself. This is not the kind of movie you need to see when you've already made up your mind on it's remarkable style of film, in a bad way that is. That said, Apollo 18 introduces the 'based on a true' story of three astronauts on a top secret mission, which was said to be cancelled in 1974.

The 86 minutes that follow will have you wandering what the hell is going on, even though you can fill in some of the details beforehand. The addition of the 1.33 : 1 aspect ratio (the film suggested that everything was filmed with 16mm cameras from that time) had me scratching my head after a while, especially watching it on the big screen, but it managed to add some authenticity to the already obvious studio environment. It also helped that I didn't really see other work from Warren Christie (Ben) and Lloyd Owen (Nathan), so I couldn't really place them in any other roles.

In short, Apollo 18 is a one-of-a-kind sci-fi horror flick that fails to deliver what it's meant to deliver in the first place: a convincing story. Some of the scenes just seem so far-fetched and overacted that about halfway the movie you'll be able to look through its fake appearance of presenting supposedly real events. What remains is up for you to decide.

In my opinion Apollo 18 is a good way of showing how NOT to make a documentary type of film. The only thing they truly succeed in is giving the feeling of isolation and loneliness in space that real astronauts have to endure. I can imagine it can be a true test to some claustrophobic viewers out there, as some of the scenes really put you right in front of the action happening within the boundaries of a space pod for example.

If you're a horror fan interested in something new and got the time for it, it's worth the shot. Unfortunately there's not much sci-fi going on besides the moon setting and some of the 'surprises' you'll see at the end of the movie. Those looking for more of a sci-fi experience should definitely skip it.

A Retro Period Piece, Sci-Fi, Horror Film. The Direction Gets A Ten But The Story Is A Eight.

Author: johnstonjames from United States
25 March 2012

i'm surprised at how many people reviewing this didn't really get this movie. but those types are usually brain washed by the BS hype and hyper story telling of trash like 'Avatar'. unless it's hopelessly pretentious, cost almost 200 million to produce, and has more action in it than a serial matinée or a cartoon, people usually don't take to it or get it. people don't like things to sincerely intellectualize, they just like all the hocus bogus of big time Hollywood blockbusters. it's a known fact that most of the popular cult films or even films that are serious classics today, weren't even well liked by a lot of the unwashed masses. everyone knows that just because you act like you know everything it doesn't mean you do or aren't just another ignoramus.

i'd give this film a ten star rating for it's efficiency in presenting believable enough sci-fi, but i thought the story and plot were somewhat predictable. it was really the look of the film, and what it is was, that rated more, so i only gave it a nine rating. even though i did find it impressive science reality and at times, startlingly convincing.

what i think that viewers don't get about 'Apollo 18', is that it is a period piece of sorts. it's not happening in the future, it's happening in the past. it's a kind of retro recreation. like George Lucas's 'American Graffitti'. Lucas chose to film 'Graffitti' in cheaper film stock to duplicate the feel of older, low budget drive in movie films from the sixties. this film plays out it's retro look to similar effect.

basically the storyline is predictable enough sci fi. it's a lot like the original 'Alien' film, only 'Alien' was about the future and this film is about the past in 1972. also, it's whole 'guinea pig' plot point is so familiar.

you could also say the scariest part was actually the film's statement about government betrayal, redaction, and falsification of events for secrecy. now THAT'S scary hairy.

even though this film portrayed a fairly realistic old time space mission, i can't say it was exactly as impressive as 'Apollo 13'. or as well done.

sometimes i think the most amusing thing here was how the film was marketed. now that was something straight out of 'Capricorn One'. and just as funny.

One of the best NASA Apollo Era Film-work imitations ever seen!

Author: olszewski_2007 from Encino, California
11 September 2011

Growing up NASA in Houston, Texas gave me access to much vintage film footage and awareness of the huge archives of the Mercury, Gemini & Apollo space programs. This film had numerous challenges to overcome to even come close to appearing authentic. Having seen every Hollywood NASA film through the years, it was easy to spot a fake. Original celluloid in color had it's native appearance that was unmistakable, as well as live and re-broadcasted television adaptations of both color and black and white. The imitation of the authentic Apollo era film work for this film is quite worthy of viewing and recognition by professional film boards for achievement. The sound voice overs were the best evidence that this feature film was an imitation, because of the differences in the audio fidelity. There is a technical explanation quite noteworthy-in space, the missions were sustaining the astronauts in 4.3 psi environments, compared to 14.7 psi on earth. The microphones simply had less air/gas to operate them and gave different distinctive sounds. The old analog radio transmissions also permitted external interference. In this film, radio interference was well simulated.

The acting in this film was about average, but is was easy to spot 2010 mannerisms present in two of the three actors trying to behave like 1972 cold war era males. The NASA of the 1970's definitely had mannerisms and persona that Hollywood often overlooks. The Right Stuff was probably the best feature film to address and overcome that.

If sound voice-overs were downgraded to simulate space fidelity, this film rating would have been upgraded to an 8. If the director had pulled 2010 mannerisms and replaced all of them with 1970 cold war persona, this film would have been upgraded to a 9.

The story script was an excellent fiction. Horror was easy to create in an inherently dangerous space environment.

The spoiler warning was issued only to overcome the popularity of being based on a true story. Anyone can google the Russian Lunakod vehicles and learn that none of them had human life-support systems.

Above Par Found Footage Horror

Author: kerithion from United Kingdom
4 September 2011

Reading the negative reviews for this film, it seems to me that the majority of reviewers who thought this was a poor movie didn't actually follow the plot very closely. There are no major flaws in the story that I could detect, and while the movie does require attention on the part of the viewer to follow what's unfolding, it's hardly rocket science.

The cinematography was fantastic, evoking a real sense of a moon mission, and as such, this is one of the few "found-footage" films (along with "REC") that provides the principles with a believable reason to document what occurs out-with the questionable "I-must-film-this-for-posterity" nonsense served up by the likes of "Cloverfield".

The small cast do a sterling job, and I don't quite follow how some other reviewers found the characters "unlikeable". The performances in the film evoked my interest. I found myself sympathising with their plight from the outset, and my involvement increased as the film continued. Much of this came from the terse script which was pleasantly free from filler and the baggage of back-story.

I thought the pacing of "Apollo 18" was excellent, creating an edge-of-the-seat uneasy tension building to absolute horror. I think fans of "Paranormal Activity" will enjoy this film. Those who didn't enjoy "Paranormal Activity" will most likely not like "Apollo 18". In the end, I guess it all depends on what scares you. "Apollo 18" scared me. That makes it a successful horror movie in my opinion. But horror, like so much else, is a relative concept.

I have friends who didn't enjoy "Paranormal Activity", and I can understand why: it simply didn't poke them in their scary-bone. Me, I ended up sleeping with the light on after watching it. "Apollo 18" is one of those films - if it's going to scare you, it'll really scare you; but if gradually-rising terror isn't your thing, it'll probably disappoint.

Despite being a low budget production, there's nothing amateur about the delivery. I think "Apollo 18" is a taut and disturbing horror story that puts bigger budget disappointments like the cliché-filled "Cloverfield" to shame. Think "Moon" meets "Paranormal Activity". If that sounds like your type of movie, then don't let this one slip under your radar.

A truly stupid film

Author: andy-hart15 from United States
5 September 2011

OK. So i can see why they would make a movie that has an interesting premise like it does, but the "big twist" in the film is so incredibly stupid. They show it in the preview! And they SHAMELESSLY copy from Paranormal Activity when one of the astronauts stands up and stares at the other while he sleeps. This movie had NO originality. Thank God I only paid $5 for it, but it was $5 too many. And then the film makers have the gall to make you think it's real by putting a web address at the end. I know they tried to make it look older (the film takes place in 1972 i believe) but they went a little overboard with the cameras. The cameras were like modern day cameras with after affects put on to make the film look older. It REALLY didn't seem like they were trying. The ending makes you say to yourself, "Are you F**cking kidding me". My friends and I were hoping that if the movie had been bad, it would at least be the kind of bad movie that we can laugh at, but it wasn't. It was just terrible. This has been the worst movie I've seen all year.