IMDb > BKO: Bangkok Knockout (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

BKO: Bangkok Knockout More at IMDbPro »

Bad film, amazing action

Author: Simon Booth from UK
18 December 2010

A group of fighters are selected, via competition, to go to Hollywood for a project... or that's what they believe. In fact, after winning they are drugged and kidnapped, and forced to fight for their lives in a contest staged for the benefit of some extremely wealthy gamblers.

Bangkok Knockout is a terrible film by most standards - i.e. the story is dumb and the acting is terrible. It does, however, have some of the most extraordinary action scenes ever filmed. The cast are mostly stuntmen and fighters, and the film showcases a range of different styles and techniques going head to head. The level of physical virtuosity on display is amazing, and the scenes are brutal - fights are full contact, and stunts are outrageously dangerous.

For lovers of action cinema it's a must-see... everybody else should probably skip it.

Awesome 'foot to face'-action, but terrible acting

Author: Smart_Bakman from Netherlands
20 December 2010

The trailer promises great action and realistic fighting. Well, the final movie delivers. The fight-scenes in Bangkok Knockout blew me away. They look so real. No wait, they are real. Kicks to the face look awesome, you can even see the dust created by the foot to face impact.

Too bad some of the actors could use a foot to the face. I'm not talking about the fighters - there acting is okay - but the foreign-characters. There is one Russian guy, his lines are so horrible it's just sad... And funny.

I went to see the movie in Korat, Thailand. It had English subtitles. Not a must - foot to face actions works in all languages - but it came in handy.

You should go and watch this movie. Just for the action. And dream about the day Hollywood hires these guys to make a movie, with decent actors for the side-story.

Knockout Action Makes you Forget About the Acting

Author: Christian from Canada
1 August 2011

The story is dubious although it has a twist or two. The acting is horrible from beginning to end. Yet, the action is jaw-dropping like a dropped kick that connects.

I actually saw this movie by mistake at the FantAsia Film Festival. Apparently the usher did not care to verify the name of the movie on my ticket. I think she was too busy eyeing me, or at least that is what I tell myself. So as the movie opened, I thought maybe this is a short film before the feature. When I realized I was in the wrong movie and that this one seemed to be shallow and pointless, I almost left, but my girlfriend said that we already missed the other movie's beginning and that we should tough it out with this Bangkok Knockout.

As painful as the beginning of the movie is, once the action got started, we were both glad we stayed. The scenes kept displaying some of the most stunning stunts and choreography in the industry. Then, there is a bit of comedy, some good editing, hot girls who can do a few moves too and a fitting ending. By that time, we were cheering with the enthused FantAsia crowd and easily put the poor plot and bad acting in the back of our mind.

There are some amazing scenes with cage fighting, blunt or sharp weapons, car, spectacular falls, masked assailants, Terminator-style superhuman, martial arts mastery and then... just when you thought you had seen it all, they bring the fight to the real world and bring in guns, motorcycles, trucks for the grand finale.

This is the martial arts Matrix in a warehouse with no story. Wachowski brothers, watch out. Less guns, more skills, guts and glory.

Cool Fighting . . . The other thing are not so promising

Author: ariocool from Indonesia
4 July 2011

Before, i rarely watch Thai Movies, but since Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong, i became interested in some. Tony Jaa is a man of a new way of martial art in movies for me. Different than American typical fighting movies, or even Asian Kung Fu Movies, the Thai 'modern' martial art movies are fresher on the eyes.

Bangkok Knockout is surely a promising martial art movie if you watched the trailer. The moves and the arts are amazing for me. But...after I watch the whole movie (no skipping or fast-forwarding) I was kinda disappointed. The idea of the story is not so bad, but it's brought kinda poorly. Well, maybe it's intended just for domestic (not international), so there might only be limited budget on it.

The actors, i think, are some martial artists, with little to no acting experience, since it's not an easy task to find people which experts on both. Even the main star is not good at acting, and also not so good looking (sometimes I think the main star doesn't have to be handsome, but has to bee good looking, at least for the good-view for the audience). Luckily, there are two cute and pretty awesome girls. They are good-looking and can do some moves.

Okay, at first, the flow of the movie is kinda slow n little bit boring, there're almost no fighting or action scene, just some drama. But after, maybe about thirty minutes, the fighting begins. Since then, the fighting almost never stop till the end. And those fighting scenes are GREAT because of the choreography and also the skill of the actors performing jumping, kicking, punching, somersaulting, acrobats stunts and moves, and also in a matrix-bullet time-style. Sometimes, after one or two rounds of fighting, there's some stories we need to know about the background of some event etc, kinda lame for me because the foreign actors are also not good at acting, and even bad at speaking English. Btw, some scenes sometimes don't make sense, just enjoy it.

So, if you want to watch fighting a lot, with some new styles and moves and also in slow-mo, this is the right movie. But don't (ever) expect a good story and good acting.

Just my stupid review.... ^^

This movie doesn't deserve 10 but..

Author: Ninza Fury
17 November 2012

This movie doesn't deserve 10 but I gave it 10/10 to increase its IMDb rating.(IDK if it works) Because I wasn't seeing this movie only because of rating and reviews. --------------------------------

For first half an hour, No one would complain for bad acting. Actually I had no problem with acting. ---------------------------------

I didn't find any actor's wikipedia's page but actress. And I guess, all of them were either Athlete or stuntman. Because level of action was not less than Tony jaa's Tom-Yum-Goong and ONG-BAK. ---------------------------------

If they make another movie with these actors(Stunt man). I would watch that movie for sure. ---------------------------------

According to me, Movie is 6/10. (Actually I am little tightwad, when It comes to scoring, So Don't see rating, see movie.) ---------------------------------

An action-fest...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
29 December 2011

"Bangkok Knockout" is action from the start to the very end. And you would think that to fill a plot out like this with something meaningful to make it interesting, but that wasn't to be. There is a very weak storyline to this movie. Actually the story is so ridiculous that it is almost painful to witness. However, the lack of story is more than made up for in sheer action, well-choreographed fighting scenes and violence.

The story is about a group of friends being drugged and forced into a twisted game of survival sports to entertain a handful of rich gamblers. And that is basically it. Oh, and there is a little attempt at spicing up the story by someone being kidnapped and held hostage! "Bangkok Knockout" has a lot of really nice fighting scenes, and the Thai really do make nice movies in the fighting-action genre. The scenes are well-choreographed and you often see how the hands, feet, knees and elbows connect with the targets, so you sit there in sympathy pain, wondering just how bad that had to hurt the guy (or girl) getting hit.

Three things did amuse me in this movie. The first thing was how did that white guy, Mr. Snead, manage to make that video montage that was showing behind him on the screens? I mean, he drugged these people to get them into the game, but then how did he make them all walk on one line, looking happy about it? And how did he manage to get portraits of each competitor and show it on the screen as the random fights were starting? That was just lame.

The second thing that had me amused was the way the black car crumbled as people were punched and kicked against its surface. Come on, was the car made from cardboard? I have never seen metal buckle and cave that easily, especially not on a car made for stock-car racing. That was just epic fail!

And thirdly, the sheer amount of beating each person took in this movie was just beyond mortal comprehension. No one would be able to get on their feet after such a thrashing. The beating these people took put even Jean Claude Van Damme to shame. So seeing them walk or limp away from beating upon severe beating was a bit too much in the end.

"Bangkok Knockout" is the type of movie you would watch on a day where you have bad hang-overs, and just want to lay on the couch doing. There is nothing to think about in this movie at all, it is all just one big fight scene. "Bangkok Knockout" is well worth watching a single time for the action and fighting scenes itself, but I doubt that anyone will be making a second trip back to watching this movie.

Wonderful fighting overshadows its bad points

Author: littlespudder
14 January 2012

I've seen there seems to be a lot of hate for this film and I have no idea why. Its a martial arts films. When has the plot ever been the key element? If you watch martial arts movies then you must have an interest in martial arts. If this is the case then surely it is the fighting that is the key element to it being a good film. For that reason I am rating the story out of 4 and the fight sequences out of 6.

Story: 2/4 Firstly the story isn't as dire as everyone seems to make out. Having said that, it isn't good at all. It's a very weak plot indeed but to be honest with the amount of action there isn't really room for any form of developed plot. the acting is pretty awful especially from the more minor characters but the lead roles managed to come forth with at least passable performances.

Fighting: 6/6 Perfect, best i've seen in a long time. many would say the fights are unrealistic but i disagree. Sure they don't have the "realism" of mma or what ever but this is a FILM, the fighting is varied as hell and to be honest seems pretty convincing to me. I loved the mix of arts, it produced truly engaging and interesting fights. I feel that if the choreographers went to much for realism it'd make for a truly dull experience. The sheer variety and inventiveness of the choreography makes this a standout modern martial arts outing.

Overall however I feel with so little story and so many up and coming martial artists this seemed more like a showcase than an actual film. I personally am not bothered by this but if you are looking for anything with any depth, look else were. The perfect choreography made me completely overlook the weaknesses in the plot and acting and see this film as a triumpth.

My rating: 8/10

Poorly acted, no real plot, slow to get going but great action

Author: clubberlang786 from United Kingdom
12 November 2011

The first half an hour of this film is a bore. I know they are trying to introduce us to the cast and maybe flesh out the characters a bit but there are simply to many characters and it was a bit of a pointless exercise. I thought I'd carry on watching despite the really poor acting and lack of any real plot. All I can say is I'm glad I did because the martial arts action in this film is breathtaking. When it starts it is fast ferocious and continuous. Maybe because of the lack of any real character development you don't care about any of them. It is great watching some realistic looking punches and kicks landing with satisfying thuds. Even the women take kicks and punches and get up to fight back. Some of the stunts don't quite work like the guy in the car trying to run over people and crashing through the obvious to see paper thin wall. This is no IP Man or Ong Bak but still not a bad film.

A bit above your typical Thai Martial Arts movie

Author: Destroyer Wod from Quebec
13 October 2011

Since Ong Bak, i have started watching Thai Martial Arts movie. To be honest i think the Muay Thai is a great art to watch, and usually the Thais are going for hard hitting, like some people mentioned, you can see the hits connect, the dust created by it and such. On the action parts, this movie is an A+, great fighting scenes, and even if they showcase some obvious choreography, the way they are film really make them look more real than your traditional Chinese kung fu/American kickboxing movie.

But another thing that i realize watching Thai movies, its that usually the story is pretty bad. Most of them revolve around some little village traditional artifacts being stolen and our hero go get them back in the big city. Other times, they try something different but it always fail. Here they tried doing "The Running Man" kinda story. It could had worked, but it got a bit too goofy for me at some points, and lets say that you don't really get into the story that much. Anyway mostly this movie is a big fighting sequence past the first half hour and this is what you can expect from a Thai movie, not more, not less. If one day Thais come out with a very good story, i will be the first to applause. Maybe i identify myself more to American MA movies, being a Caucasian, but i got hooked a lot into Chinese or Japanese movies as well cause they had excellent stories. Im sure Thais can come out with one , one day.

The action ain't bad, but...

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
17 February 2012

Another all-action martial arts offering from Panna Rittikrai, the guy who's kept Thai action cinema alive for the past thirty years or so. Unfortunately, KNOCKOUT(they dropped the BANGKOK for the British release) is one of his lesser offerings. For those who complained about the paucity of the storyline in WARRIOR KING, you ain't seen nothing yet: the surrounding storyline in this film is amateurish in the extreme, a kind of riff on THE CONDEMNED which sees a bunch of characters thrown together in an old abandoned warehouse and forced to fight for their lives.

The film it's closest to in terms of scope is Rittikrai's original BORN TO FIGHT, made back in the '80s. All the requisite elements of Thai action cinema are present: masked, ninja-style assassins, goons on motorbikes flying through the air, scenery being broken and destroyed, people thrown from great heights. The fight scenes are enjoyable, although they lack the kind of finesse of the classic Tony Jaa outings: there seems to be no distinct beginning, middle and end to them, the film just depicts an ongoing melee situation and the bad guys are faceless and dull.

The use of multiple characters for the heroes was a bad idea. It worked in the BORN TO FIGHT remake, where each member of the athletics team had their own special skill clearly delineated. Here, though, the use of different styles wasn't clear; I didn't even realise they were being used until I watched the short making-of documentary afterwards. Mostly, the fights just consist of people running up walls, jumping and kicking people in the head. It's fun, but highly derivative.

The cast are pretty rubbish – these are the kinds of guys who make a good stunt team, but who are hopeless as characters we're supposed to get behind and root for. The melodrama scenes are overstated and, even worse, there's an obnoxious comic relief character we're stuck with for a long, long time. While there are a few familiar faces in minor parts, the only actor I really recognised was Rittikrai himself, playing another merciless fighter with a twist – this time, he's got asthma. You can guess the outcome.