IMDb > Odd Thomas (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Solid Movie

Author: Robin Thompson Duehring
22 June 2013

Odd Thomas was a solid movie and it was indeed an enjoyable watch. I'm a pretty big fan of the Odd Thomas books. As with any novel turned into a movie there was much of the finer details left out and a few that were never there added in. I feel they did a fair job of capturing Odd's character. I do feel the chemistry between Odd and Stormy was a bit off. I'm not sure if this was due to the casting ,acting or direction. Or the fact that so much about her character was left out. But it felt more juvenile rather than deep love of your life love. I can't help but wonder if they had given it a slightly bigger budget and focused more on some of the other characters and their stories, it would have been a great movie, instead of merely a good one.

In the book we get a lot more ghostly communication between Odd and a very diverse and interesting collection of ghosts, including Elvis. I would have loved to see more of this in the movie, as I feel it really helps the viewer/reader understand the world of the dead and how it impacts the living world and Odd himself. One of the most interesting characters in the books is his strange friend Little Ozzie and his cat, Ozzie has 6 fingers on his left hand, writes detective novels and knows about Odds unusual powers as does the Sheriff. Of course Stormy is the only one who knows everything about Odd.

I gave Odd Thomas a 7 out 10 - It's a good solid movie and a fun watch. I'd love to see it made into a T.V. series. I think that way you could get the in-depth character development and plot lines you have in the books.

Good Adaptation

Author: johnathan smith from United States
23 June 2013

Firstly, I am a huge Koontz fan and a huge Odd Thomas fan. I've been waiting years for this movie so my expectations were pretty high. I'm sure that figures into my analysis of the movie, as I have been largely let down by adaptations from novels in the past. That being said...

Overall, good movie, good adaptation. Moving a story from a book to a movie always presents problems; always there will be portions of the story and significant nuances left out. This is no exception. The casting of Odd was very good. Yelchin did a fantastic job capturing the strong albeit naive nature of Odd. I was skeptical about Timlin as Stormy, but she not only pulled it off but, in my mind, perfectly captured Stormy. I will no longer be able to think of Stormy without seeing her face. I wish we could have seen more interaction between Odd and Ozzie; in the books this is a very important relationship for Odd. Also, in the books, Ozzie is 350 or so pounds and Oswalt is considerably smaller. That being said, I think his size in the books is more of a testament to his larger-than-life character and less about his physical size, which I believe, given the chance, Oswalt would have perfectly captured. He is a largely underrated actor.

As for the story, it sticks to the book even though there are a few things left out. It would have been nice to know more of Odd's background but it would have unnecessarily stretched the movie out. Well told, with appropriate use of flashbacks, and good use (and not overuse) of narration, just as in the books. One thing I really enjoy about Odd Thomas books is the quick-paced, quick-whited dialogue. I've rarely read another author that could match Koontz in this aspect. This was transferred to the big screen very well.

As I said, I've been waiting for this movie for a while and whereas I wish they'd done it as an eight hour miniseries and captured every nuance of the book, this was a superb adaptation and an excellent movie. I really hope they make more because Odd's adventures keep getting better.

8 of 10

I recommend this one.

Author: crystal_gordon11 from Pasadena, CA
25 June 2013

So, much to my surprise, I enjoyed this one. I was skeptical before viewing because of the log line but it really took me on a ride. It was funny, sweet, sad, a bit scary, and had action. The mystery kept me engaged and the love story was so sweet but not sappy at the same time. The dialogue was great. I think Stephen Sommers did an outstanding job on the screenplay. Not to mention, he also directed and produced it. Kudos to him. I was shocked and impressed. I actually wasn't expecting the last plot twist. I didn't think so many elements could come together in one film and create harmony but it did. The genre says mystery/thriller but I think mystery/romance/comedy/thriller/action would be better suited. Go watch it.

A very Odd movie

Author: steventot from Slovakia
19 June 2013

I will start with a recommendation: "go watch it". This movie is definitely worth seeing. I did not red the book , and this movie truly surprised me. The movie unfolds very dynamically. It is not a slow paced movie for sure. The story is also very interesting containing just enough elements to surprise and entertain at the same time. The ending is also done very nicely. The effects are not the best ever seen , but sufficient. The acting was also very good. I admit some of the characters felt a bit dull , not really believable. In a nutshell , go watch it and be amazed how good a movie can turn out even if you never heard of it.

Loved It

Author: johnstonlehane from United Kingdom
25 June 2013

Well I have read every book of Odd Thomas and I was worried about the movie adaptation , well I needn't of worried , it was fun great chemistry with the main actors , Willem Dafoe great as usual , the pacing was good , and the action scenes really good , OK so the ghost of Elvis is not in it , the sad thing is no cinema release that probably means no sequel and that's a damn shame as this was a great adaptation of Odd Thomas, I truly think this could have carried through a complete series of movies based on each book That said you never know the power of the fans , so fingers crossed there may be more Odd Thomas in the future

A much better movie than you'd expect.

Author: Trevor Miller from United States
25 June 2013

This is my first review i've done of a movie on IMDb, so maybe that alone shows how much I enjoyed this movie.

It was filled with action, adventure, romance, heart, even mild comedy when the character of Oz (Patton Oswalt) was introduced. This movie like most new movies is very fast paced, and witty with the word play and sarcastic tones that some characters had. The lead roles were chosen wonderfully. Anton Yelchin (Odd) in one of his maybe breakout rolls. I'd hope to see him play more lead roles very soon as he is a great actor, you can even tell by his large amount of upcoming movies in 2013 and 14. DaFoe was outstanding as he much always is, his character had bits and pieces it would seem from his role as the main Detective of The Boondock Saints. The supporting roles were great, and there's a twist at the end that caught me off guard.

Great movie!

Adorable, Action-Packed and Afflictive! A Wonderful Movie!

Author: Bruce Sommer from San Jose, CA, United States
26 June 2013

I've read a few of the "Odd Thomas" novels by Dean Koontz, but regrettably I have not kept myself up to date with this series. So, while I have the advantage of knowing the story behind the movie, as compared to those who haven't read the "Odd Thomas" novels, it has been some time since I've read them. With that in mind, I'm not about to go into any detail about whether the movie was faithful to the novel or not.

As far as the movie by itself, I really enjoyed Anton Yelchin's portrayal of Odd Thomas. Having enjoyed his performances in "Charlie Bartlett" and the remake of "Fright Night", I'm glad they chose him for this role.

The relationship between Odd Thomas and Stormy Llewellyn was ... ADORABLE! Seeing Odd in action at the Pico Mundo grill was as entertaining as any circus act. His naiveté around other women was cute.

The action of the movie kept me on the edge of my seat.

The parts of the movie that were meant to bring tears to your eyes, brought tears to mine. That is how involved with the characters I became.

I'm disappointed that the DVD has yet to see an American release. If and/or when it does get released, I encourage all those who are fans of Dean Koontz to purchase it -- vote with your wallet -- as this will put money in Dean's pocket and give you an opportunity to visualize what he has written in his novels on the big screen (your large screen television) as well as increase the probability of "Odd Thomas" sequels being produced in the future.

For me, this movie was well worth the time and I would gladly see it again.

MUCH better than I expected!

Author: minerva1961 from United Kingdom
28 June 2013

Watched this with my 16 and 14 yr old sons last night and we all throughly enjoyed it, the 14yr old hid behind a pillow for quite a lot but really it was all standard 'turns around and ghost inches from your face' fare, the CGI was not budget - was really good actually and lots of it. The story was really engaging, acting was great from Odd and Stormy and great chemistry between them, you felt like they really were lovers. Nice plot twists, it's not going to be a blockbuster and win academy awards, almost as many plot holes as World World Z but it was much better than I expected, very enjoyable, no dull moments and this will be joining my DVD collection when it comes out for sure. The ending was very good...

It's pretty obvious there's a telly series (or string of follow-up movies) wanting to be made :-)

Very well made adaptation for the screen - couldn't tell the difference from the book!

Author: Gargantua Pantagruel
25 June 2013

If you read Odd Thomas, which fortunately I did, you will hopefully find this movie quite truthful to the book which is really great. Superb job from the screen writers. Really, the characters are perfect in the movie and I think there would be no one better than Dafoe to play the Chief!

The book was a really fun read and the movie has exactly the same feel, too bad it's too short. I think books are the best because the thrill lasts longer but this movie is a go.

The rest of the acting is not Oscar material, but it is a very enjoyable movie and goes well with a soda and a bag of popcorn.

As for the end - get your tissues ready. Oh Lord, the humanityyyyyy!!!

Perfect Oddness

Author: breaandmelsteele from United States
24 June 2013

We love the Odd Thomas Books so finding the movie was a huge treat! The movie follows the book exactly! I am surprised this movie wasn't better advertised. Great find! Watch it, even if you have not read the books, it may inspire you to read the others. I really hope they make more movies. The movie does seem a bit lower budget. Like a made for TV movie, but it has a great cast, and as I said it follows the books. They picked the perfect actor to play Odd. They also did a great job of bringing Pico Mundo to life. It all feels so much like the places described in the books. The movie has as much comedy, romance, action and horror as the books!

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]