IMDb > "Kickin' It" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Kickin' It"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Kickin' It" More at IMDbPro »

Best Show ever! and one of my favorites on Disney!

Author: OneDirection Lover from United States
5 February 2013

When I was flipping through channels, I saw Kickin It. I starting watching, and it is hilarious!! Mateo Arias who plays Jerry is one of the funniest characters ever. I really like Leo Howard since he is a black belt in real life, so he does all the karate in the show. And he is a great actor and not to mention good looking.Olivia Holt who plays Kim works really well with Leo Howard. Thanks to Leo Howard I watch the show, because of him its amazing.One of my favorite episodes is A Slip Down Memory Lane and the Karate Games.Overall I really like the different plots for each episode, it's very creative and I can't wait for the third season! From the perspective of a 14 year old (which I am) it's very funny and you all should watch it!

I Never Miss an Episode!

Author: B T
17 September 2012

IMO, Kickin' it is one of Disney's best TV shows! It is clean, hilarious, and has a great story plot. My sister and I enjoy all the characters, they are realistic and fun to watch! Our two favorites are Jack and Phil. They are super funny! Also, we really like watching all of Jack's stunts and karate moves. Very cool! My favorite episode is Boo Gi Nights. Seeing everyone in their costumes is a hoot! Holiday episodes always seem to be the best, especially on Disney! Very family-oriented. We haven't missed an episode yet, and look forward to keeping up with this series. Please keep the episodes coming Disney. Great job! :)

Disney XD's best live action show.

Author: MsMovie from United States
1 November 2012

We are a family who loves karate and Disney, so this show was made for us really, but we also like the story lines and the kids are fun and there is a lot of humor in the show. It seems that Disney XD is aimed at boys OR kids who like Karate, cartoons, etc and the regular Disney channel is aimed at more general family programming, so we are really enjoying this newer show.

The fact that some of the kids featured really do know karate just makes it a lot more fun to watch the fight scenes, and we love that the brother from Hannah Montana gets to play his real age finally instead of pretending to be just out of high school.

We highly recommend this for all families to watch - good clean fun!

I like it

Author: SanteeFats from United States
7 May 2013

I don't know who the individuals who gave this series a 1 and a 2 saw. Yes this show is a little juvenile but it is rated TV 7 for goodness sakes. While I am not close to that age, I do find this to be a pretty well done show. I also find that the fact that Leo Howard actually does martial arts makes his actions on screen a bit easier to accept as real. I do believe that a lot of the hard stuff that is shown is just special effects and prepared props. Over all though this is a fun, decently done show. Olivia Holt does not have a martial arts background that I could find but does have an extensive dance and gym history which would allow her to appear as if she knew karate with descent props. There is a good blend of types in this show-Jerry the punk, Milton the nerd, Rudy the dork sensei. The real message in the show is that friends are friends and don't give up or abandon each other. I think that is a nice, positive message to send out. 3/4/2014- Okay this update is because I am not watching this program anymore. I gave it a chance after Olivia Holt left for another show and the whole plot line changed. It definitely deserves the TV 7 rating now and I think if there is a lower one they should get it. It is just way too stupid and not funny now.

don't want canceled

Author: wwkimberly13 from ct, usa
5 January 2014

my now 9 year old daughter & I have been watching since the show started & love the show! Just read Olivia is leaving- soooo sad! Love that she & Jack finally got together! Added more to show! the kids that are writing reviews don't really seem to be the target audience- I know A lot of preteens that love the show! it's too bad that the show is ending or changing so much!That will surely make kids stop watching! & did they say boy meets world for Olivia? If that's what Im thinking , are they REALLY remaking that- as an adult , much rather watch Kickin It with my daughter! Funny & plot line & LOVE the characters- yes her & I both! Sorry to see it change or go!

This is a review of the show Kickin It. This review is mainly about the characters of the show.

Author: jaxjax from United States
23 December 2011

I personally think that 'Kickin It' has lots of potential. First of, I can't imagine better people to play the parts of Jack, Kim, Rudy, Milton, Jerry and Eddie (and I guess Philafle Phil too). Jack is personally my favorite. I love his flips and stunts. He such a guys guy and so sweet at the same time. I like that. That's how I see him, anyway. I also love Kim. She is one of the guys without being a total jock. I love having friends of mine who are girls that are like that. I'm like that. Milton is funny (sorta) and sophisticated. he reminds me of Cole Sprouse. Jerry is so funny! He reminds me of Moises Arias, which makes sense since Moises is his brother. Eddies okay. The show could deal without him, but he's a nice touch. I personally don't think the show could make it without both Jack and Kim. And am I the only one who sees it, or can everybody see them definitely getting together one day? In personally think that'd be a perfect add on to the series. Anyway, 'Kickin it' is an awesome show, that I think most people would like. Check it out.

Pretty Entertaining

Author: movieguy592 from United States
8 February 2013

Apparently I'm still trying to hang on to my youth. The days of watch Saved By The Bell, Boy Meets World, All That, Keenan and Kel, etc. Well Kickin' It really has very little in common with those shows, but the reason I bring it up is one day while I was kind of under the weather I wanted a movie or TV show I could just kind of chill and watch and found Kickin' It.

It's not really a kids show per se, because from what I've gathered Disney XD is a channel for boys and male teenagers, so that appears to be it's target audience.

The Show centers around a group of misfit kids that go to the same school and all hang out at the same Bobby Wasabi Dojo and practice and compete in Karate. The Dojo is run by a 30-something shorty Rudy, played by Jason Earles. Leo Howard stars as the main character and best student of the Dojo, with the one girl on the show, Kim who isn't far behind in being Jack's equal.

The best way to review the show is to give pros and cons. So here it goes:

Pros: - It's entertaining and has enough action to keep you interest. In addition it's not overly cheezy with relationship, though this is not to be confused with over-acting or what some may call over-the-top. Some Disney Channel shows use this because of it's target audience, Kickin' It uses it for comedy effect, and mostly it's Jason Earles' Rudy that gets brunt of it, and it's more physical comedy than anything. Some will think this is hilarious, while others will run screaming for the hills.

-The choreography and stories can get a bit repetitive, for example Jack typically has to save the day or at least be one to initiate the finale battle, except for a few episodes. The martial arts are entertaining to watch and seem to try and blend as much authenticity along with physical comedy.

- One of the few shows I've seen that seems to really rely on the studio audience. If a joke works, you'll know it, if it doesn't you'll know it. Not a whole lot filler laughs or added laughter, if any.

-A growing and changing relationship between two characters is actually handled well and is a bit more believable than most teen shows. There are a few awkward moments, which is expected but it's usually not done with over-cheezing.

Cons:

-The show is formulaic in a sense you know where everything is going, though there are a few twists that may surprise people.

-Some of the intended jokes might be seen as potentially offensive and/or racist. This is in part due to the owner of the Bobby Wasabi DoJo, but it really depends on each individual and their viewpoints. Some martial art students may be able to point on inaccuracies and other issues.

If have boys and/or girls between ages 10-14 they might enjoy this series. I think 15 and above might like some aspects but get kind of bored with it. But who knows everyone is different. I'm a bit older than the targeted age range, but find some aspects, especially the martial arts very entertaining, and Jason Earles' physical comedy is pretty funny.

Favorite XD Show

Author: pwynton from United States
4 June 2013

Sure, there are a ton of clichés...but my tweens think it's hilarious, and my hubby and I enjoy Rudy's (Jason Earles) comedy. He is close to our ages, so a lot of the adult humor that goes over our kids' heads cracks us up. He has a lot of flashbacks from the 80s/90s, and some of the more subtle humor is intentionally geared toward adults.

As silly and unrealistic some of the story lines can be, it is pretty clear it is all about the humor with some pretty impressive fighting scenes occasionally thrown in. When you consider you are watching a teenager, who at this date is only 15 years old, it is easy to admire the lead character, Jack (Leo Howard). Are we seeing a future action star at work? Yet I tend to look at each character, hoping they don't end up going down the same paths actresses like Lohan, Cyrus, and Spears have gone.

Anyway, we really enjoy watching the show with all of its frivolity and goofiness. It makes us laugh, and laughter is a good thing.

Okay

Author: jasminejax from Nigeria
27 September 2016

I think Kickin it is okay but what bugs me is Jack's sense of entitlement.He obviously thinks he is the best and looks down on people. My favorite is Jerry, he's cool, dances and a dork. When Jerry wanted to win the dance competition, they didn't take it seriously so I didn't get why there were mad when he ditched them. When they wanted to win a go kart and they thought Jerry wouldn't win it because he was broke, He ended up buying it and they were mad at him for buying it. They called it their go kart like they didn't buy it with their money. I hate Kim, she's too bossy and a know it all. Eddy is okay. Milton is okay too. Jack and Kim's relationship was overrated. Phil is awesome and so is Rudy. Jack's catchphrase is corny and he isn't perfect like the gang thinks he is. But overall Kickin it is quite good despite the laugh track and boring jokes.

A favorite

Author: mischievouslyradiant from Texas, United States
9 March 2016

I started watching this a few days ago, and I love it! I love all the characters too, especially Jack! Seriously, what's wrong with some of you? Being very skilled doesn't make a person flawless, and there's nothing wrong with being very skilled. It doesn't make Rudy look like a joke, either. Sure, it's not like Rudy taught all that Jack can do from before moving to Seaford, but look at what Rudy has done for him (and the rest of his students) throughout the show. Rudy has made Jack better!

I love Kim! On a personal note, I'll say this, though: for someone who likes to look good, she certainly doesn't think about taking dancing lessons. Anyway, she's an amazing character.

Milton is nerdy, but sweet and smart and can fight if he gets in the zone. Same with the others. They CAN fight and they love karate, but I think they like being in the comfort zone a little more.

They should make a movie. Lizzie McGuire got one, Even Stevens got one, Hannah Montana got one, Wizards of Waverly Place got one and also has a special, Good Luck Charlie got a movie too...

Disney did karate, and now they're doing a spy show (KC Undercover). I can't believe I never gave those a try a long time ago. I love Kickin It and KC Undercover, among others, now. People! Give a show a chance, because letting others stop you by putting something down is letting them make up your mind for you. You might love it, and you might not, but that applies to everything else too.