IMDb > The Expendables 2 (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Expendables 2

The Expendables 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 46: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Surprisingly... boring?

Author: TheEtherWalk from Canada
4 February 2013

Okay now I didn't expect this movie to have an Oscar-winning script or performances but I enjoyed the first film for what it was, a no-holds barred, fun action blockbuster. Expendables 2 is devoid of fun, and all the action is completely by-the-numbers and listless. Sylvester Stallone is a great action director. Simon West (Con Air, Tomb Raider) is not. I have no idea why Stallone decided not to direct this one but it was a huge mistake. The whole movie is pretty much just hundreds of braindead bad guys getting shot in repetitive fashion for 100 minutes. The first film had energy but this one just drags on and on. Even cameos by Willis, Schwarzenegger and Chuck Norris are pretty much wasted. The climax of the film involves the team shooting up an airport and Statham and some second-in-command bad guy duking it out next to a plane with a giant propeller blade spinning right behind them. Hmm I wonder if someone is going to get chopped up in those blades? Predictable, predictable, predictable. And the final fight between Stallone and Van Damme is pointless and clichéd, but not enough to even be humorous. The movie actually takes itself too seriously sometimes. And something weird happens at the end. The team is all sitting around the aircraft celebrating, everyone except Yin Yang. Jet Li mysteriously vanishes halfway through the movie and never returns. Did he realize how pointless his involvement with this series was and just walked off the set? I mean he beats up people with frying pans in one scene. That's about the extent of his role. He's Jet Li, not freaking Samwise Gamgee. This whole movie is a huge waste of time.

Expendable 2 is way better than the first one

Author: bluetanker_07
15 August 2012

The Expendables 2 was amazingly good. It advances the movie a whole lot better. This movie has better plot, much more funnier, and much great action than the first one.

I can honestly say this is not a 'Stallone' movie anymore, cause everybody got their screen time right, though I hate to say I wanted more Jet Li, Chuck Norris, and Statham. Also, I hate it that they had to kill Hemsworth's character so fast; I think he has the potential to be on the mercenaries.

Sorry I can't help of those spoilers (LOL). As I was saying, this movie has really kept the good old guns shiny and kicking. These action stars has proved that they can still kick some ass and draw more blood.

I am now ready to accept another sequel of this series. If Stallone says they're going Sci-Fi, I will be willing to watch it, as long as they keep the action more exciting and more hilarious than this one.

This is really the best expendable movie yet.

P.S. I love the Chuck Norris meme jokes.

Good fun

Author: trevperks from kidderminster uk
10 July 2013

This film was a real blast from the past. Having watched these actors in the 80s -90s I enjoyed the one liners and the over the top action they have been associated with in the past.If you are after an action film with a good story then this is not the film for you.If you want to immerse yourself in larger than life characters, with lots of guns and impossible situations then you will get on just fine. I'm not sure if the younger audiences will fully appreciate this film with out understanding what these actors did in the past.I have given this film 8 out of 10 because if I rated it any lower *Chuck Norris* said he would kick my ass.

At Least It Doesn't Take Itself Seriously!

Author: msprouse-7-431049 from United States
30 June 2013

Due to nostalgia this film is greater than the sum of its parts. If you are looking for a realistic action flick, this isn't it. Expendables 2 is even less realistic than the original Expendables. This movie doesn't even take itself seriously, which is a good thing. Part of the effort and energy of the film, particularly the writing, seemed to be to get all the great actors into the film including their "signature" lines. For example, you'll hear Arnold say "I'll be bock". That's really the main enjoyment is the nostalgia of those action stars and my there are so many! So this is a recommendation if you are a real fan of these action stars and their of the last thirty plus years.

If you didn't like, well what did you expect?

Author: adam evans from United Kingdom
4 May 2013

So with the release of the Expendables we witnessed a film that possibly can't be repeated in terms of scale. The reason lies with the over the top preoccupation with 'the action flick' in the 80's. So in bringing all these iconic figures of the action genre together the expendables evokes nostalgia among the older audiences while the ignorant can claim they want to see the new Jason Statham film.

Indeed my study of film on an academic level has led me to be called a snob somewhat. But, i'm the first to admit i enjoy a tongue in cheek film if it claims not to be anything other. When watching the film I know for a fact that it's written purely for entertainment purposes and nothing else. A popcorn movie. Any critical acclaim would be ludicrous. The films (both this and the first one) openly mock the ridiculousness of the 80's action flicks with outrageous shootouts and a collection of more testosterone than a sperm bank. If Stallone had sat down and claimed the expendables was the best script he's collaborated on one could only assume he's been taking the Spielberg tablets of Indy 4 (note; why i hate films like Indy 4 and Die Hard 4....they're supposed to be more serious whereas expendables you have to take it with a pinch of salt for what it is).

One thing that did get on my nerves though was perhaps the scenes involving Arnie. The references to Terminator with the uttering of 'i'll be back' brought a smile at best the first time; but to murder it time and time again at every opportunity got a bit annoying, and ultimately i ended up wishing he'd get shot for it. Considering Arnie was possibly the most famous of the action hero's of the 80's (along with Stallone...take your pick, it's between them two no doubt) i'd have liked to have seen him involved in the film properly and not just for comedic purposes.

Also he really looks long in the tooth compared with Stallone who's anti ageing cream could probably rake in more than the gross of Rocky. He's a tank and fair play to him, he looks amazingly good for his age.

Should they make an expendables 3? Probably not. I think people would get a bit bored of the chedderness of it, and besides the charm of nostalgia will have worn off by then. However if they did go ahead, i certainly won't protest and it would be interesting to have the full set with the inclusion of Steven Seagal. All in all, if you like dumb action flicks, this will do nicely. But don't tune in expecting an ambiguous and thought provoking film, and be disappointed when you don't get one. If you are then for shame.

Questionable Acting, Empty Plot, But Brings the Action and Stars

Author: Film Watchin Fool from United States
21 April 2013

Watch this if....an action movie on steroids sounds fun. The acting is suspect and the storyline is as basic as it gets.

Acting/Casting: 6* - Outstanding casting and astounding they were able to get all these former/current action stars together. However, the acting isn't what I expected and that brings down the score a bit.

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: 7* - Great action and the movie is really entertaining. Some real nice action, explosions, and fights scenes throughout the film.

Plot/Characters: 4* - I was hoping for more of a plot and I felt like everyone thought if we can get all of these stars it doesn't really matter what they do as long as it revolves around action. A better storyline could have taken this movie to another level, but it really suffers in this aspect.

Entertainment Value: 7* - Plenty of action, but very little substance. It still makes for a fun watch, but not much in replay value.

My Score: 6+7+4+7 = 23/4 = 6

Email your thoughts to filmwatchinfool@gmail.com

this is the movie to watch people blow stuff up

Author: MLDinTN from TN
8 April 2013

For such a cheesy, straight forward action flick, this is actually pretty good. If you are a fan of 80 and 90s action flicks, then you gotta love this. Stallone is back with his gang plus Liam Hemsworth and we get a great rescue mission in the first 15 minutes of the film. They save someone pretty interesting. There's lots of guns, bombs, people getting their head shot off. Then Bruce Willis gives them a new mission, and the young guy gets killed, by the bad guy, conventialy named Villain, played by Van Damme. There's some silly plot about mines and plutonium, but that's not why you are watching. You want to see the "old guys" kick some booty and fire guns and bombs.

FINAL VERDICT: It's entertaining. If you like action, check it out.

Great action movie for the fans of the legend actors

Author: tarun-rajput-engineer from India
5 April 2013

If you are a fan of realistic action movies, I guess this will be one perfect movie to watch.

I think the smartest decision of the movie maker is to include many legend actors in one single movie and inside a single team called "The Expandables".

All the legend actors more or less will keep you attached with the movie screen by their tremendous acting skills and some action scenes.

Some fans of these legend actors may expect more from the movie, because the movie story and screen play don't utilize the skills of the great actors completely.

But still a great fun to watch this movie!

Thanks to the whole team of the movie!!

From my side: 8/10.

Keep up the good work...

Mumbo Jumboy Boombo

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
16 January 2013

I wasn't expecting a great script, great acting or even great direction and I didn't get any of those from watching 'The Expendables' (although the direction wasn't terribly bad and Jean Claude Van Damme was actually quite good). Roarke's absence was quite evident (him being the best thing in the previous film). However, the over the top action sequences were entertaining to watch and well choreographed. That's one of the main reasons why such films were popular in the 80s and 90s and director Simon West and Sylvester Stallone know this. This is a homage to those films. The highlight is the final action sequence that's set in an airport where you've got former action film icons fighting alongside and against each other. Chuck Norris's cameo expectedly makes one cringe and there was too little of Jet Li. This is by no means a classic and I hardly would've have missed anything had I chosen not to see it but fans of action flicks (particularly of the 80s and 90s 'era') might consider this a worthy watch

Retrospective Reviews- The Expendables 2 (2012)

Author: Tyree Webster (tyreeewebster@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
2 January 2013

After 3 films in his 'rebooted' career', Actor/Writer/Director Sylvester Stallone reassembles with the Earth's Mightiest Anti heroes for the best worst movie of 2012... 'The Expendables 2!

PROS: To start us off, thankfully, the entire cast are back (with the exception of Jet Li) but we also get a host of new characters who just add onto the fun of the movie. The content in the film is less dark than the previous film, but it makes up for it with spectacular action and a fantastic villain named Jean Villain, played brilliantly by Jean- Claude Van Damme. The dialogue in the film is, yes, extremely cheesy, but that is exactly what to expect when you have a film featuring every 1980's action heroes! The film is mostly the team driving from one location to another, fighting people and blowing stuff up. I can't say that there's much of a story but I'll get to that later. The performances from the cast are over- the- top, except for Stallone himself, who plays the whole thing out completely serious, and so he should. We get a small bit of character development but you don't really care, you just can't wait for the characters to mention a movie they were in.

CONS: The villains goal is the most unclear goal I've ever sat through in a movie. But, the basic story is 'VILLAIN KILLS TEAM MEMBER. THEY GO TO KILL HIM.' Done.

Overall, not as emotionally gripping as the first film, but turn your brain off and enjoy!

Directed by: Simon West

Written by: Richard Wenk & Sylvester Stallone

Starring: Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Chuck Norris, Terry Crews, Randy Couture, Liam Hemsworth, Yu Nan, Jean- Claude Van Damme, Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger