IMDb > The Commuter (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Commuter More at IMDbPro »

Pointless action mostly

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
19 December 2016

"The Commuter" is a British 7.5-minute live action short film from 2010, so this one is already over 5 years old and it came out the very same year that writers and directors Edward McHenry and Rory Mc Henry made their most known work "Jackboots on Whitehall". But back to this one here. The star is of course English/Indian actor Dev Patel that most people know from the Best Picture winning "Slumdog Millionaire". This year, in 2016, Patel has a good chance of scoring his first Oscar nomination for "Lion". Anyway, he is certainly not the only known face here. There's Pamela Anderson in here, even if only very briefly, and film and television buffs will see more known faces for sure. In terms of the story, there is nothing special to see here. The material is weak, Patel has little to work with and the comedy almost never works. The plot twist at the very end is nothing particularly new or creative, even if I somehow did not really expect it. It cannot make up for all the mediocrity from the previous 6 minutes. Finally, it is a solid achievement visually for a film shot on such a small device, but this should not really be a factor in how you rate this movie. I give it a thumbs-down. Not recommended.

Awesome free movie on YouTube!

Author: kwai-chi from United Kingdom
17 November 2010

I was on the NokiaUK YouTube channel and came across this awesome video! It's got so many famous stars in it and it's all just filmed on a little cell phone (Nokia N8). It's really amazing! It's got Dev Patel (the guy from Slumdog Millionaire), Pamela Anderson (Playboy), Ed Westwick (Breaking and entering) and Charles Dance (not sure what he's been in. It's a really clever little movie about a guy on a journey. I don't want to give anything away but I think it's safe to say that Dev Patel's character is the main one through the film and he goes through a hell of a commute! Without giving it all away he gets shot at, chased after, drives a very nice Lotus and he has a run in with a traffic warden.

The whole cast were really good at their role and very convincing. I wasn't sure about Pamela Anderson's acting the first time around but when I watched it again I think that what she did fitted with the whole film. Dev Patel was awesome as usual and the famous guy out of Gossip girl was pretty good too. I thought Charles Dance was pretty camp and I had no idea why until the end. All in all a great film and worth a watch. Because it's on Youtube it's all free to watch too which is even better. I watched it on my TV which has got internet on it.