IMDb > This Is 40 (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
This Is 40

This Is 40 More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Fantastic!!!

Author: michelle5267 from United States
20 July 2015

Anyone who doesn't enjoy this movie needs a new sense of humor!!! One of the funniest movies ever! People need to relax and stop being so critical on everything. Today, people seem to be so negative on everything. If you can act, write or direct better, then go do it! The kids are fantastic! Seems like they are truly feeling what they are acting! I'm 48 and this is so similar to how I would feel. Fun times mixed with stress! That's what my forties have been like. Watch this movie with an open mind without thinking about what the "negative Nelly's" say! My family laughed til we cried! We have watched it so many times now we can almost play each part!!!😂😂😂

Must see!

Author: dagdapoo from United States
5 March 2015

This movie is magnificent! A must see movie for all true movie lovers around the wold! Judd Apatow is a genius! He should continue putting out these movies at least once or twice a year, forever! I feel sorry for people who don't realize the genius that is Judd Apatow! There must be something wrong with them, maybe retarded or something? All his movies should be winning all the Oscars, and those Grammys and all of the awards shows.THIS MOVIE ESPECIALLY! It wont disappoint. I recommended this movie to all of the people in my Pathfinder group and they all watched it.

In short, I just cant say too little about this movie. 10 stars!!!

Contains Spoilers For Knocked Up, Too!!

Author: superfunkyelf
7 February 2015

I usually like Judd Apatow's films, but This Is 40 was just terrible. Debbie was neurotic and shrill in Knocked Up, but that was fine as she was a supporting character and I thought her attitude was partly a reaction to her marriage, in that she was banging her head against a brick wall, trying to get Pete to understand her. Pete was quite funny in Knocked up, not nearly as borderline- suicidal as he is in this film and, in Knocked Up, he does realise that Debbie just wants to be more of a partnership (after Ben points out that Debbie is quite cool, in Vegas). Despite them both being quite p-d off in Knocked Up, they did make me laugh, and the 'I hate how my life's turned out' stuff wasn't too heavy. In This Is 40, they are both so depressed and it's depressing to watch! A lot of people comment on this film, pointing out their 'middle class problems', etc, but I just think they are really, really incompatible as a couple and that is the problem. They are clinging on to a horrible marriage by a thread and I just felt so frustrated, wanting to snip that thread so they could just be happy - apart! Personally, I don't like the idea of marriage at all and, if this is what people can relate to (as many people have said in threads), I definitely don't want any part of it!

Can be hard going at times

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
24 September 2014

'This is 40' is the - sort of - sequel to the highly-watchable 'Knocked Up.' Here some secondary characters get their own film about the perils and pitfalls of turning forty years old.

The first thing you need to know is that it's long - just over two hours. This might not be that special for a drama or big budget action film, but for a comedy, you have to have a lot of jokes in the script to keep up the momentum. Sadly, This is 40 doesn't have enough of them.

There are a few funny moments, but there are more than a few long periods of time where you don't so much as raise a smile. It's like the actors weren't given a script and told to just improvise and see where it goes - it has a real 'hit and miss' kind of feel to it.

Plus there are simply some scenes which try too hard to be gross and outrageous, but simply end up being completely unfunny - I found it quite hard to continue watching after the scene which comes at around forty-five minutes where the wife walks in on her husband as he tries to take a photo of an 'intimate rear body part' to check it's okay. It just wasn't funny, not even in a gross way.

I stuck with it to the end and there were a few jokes which I was glad I saw. The problem is the whole structure of the film. It's about the husband and wife deciding they need to change to survive together and ending up deciding that actually they don't need to. Um, interesting character arc.

Then you have the relationship. Basically, 9/10 times the woman is completely right and the husband is a dumb, insensitive butt of all the jokes. This 'reverse sexism' does get a little old after a while.

It's a pity this film wasn't half an hour shorter as the jokes would have flowed into each other better, creating a much tighter comedy. It's not bad, but it's not that funny either.

.. makes sense only if you are actually ARE Judd Apatow

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
4 January 2014

You may recall a major hit a few years ago entitled KNOCKED UP by Director Judd Apatow. You may also remember the "other" couple in that film, the secondary characters, the characters that the main characters "played against" for dramatic exposition. Well, Director Apatow, for reasons that are less than clear, decided to not only do a follow=up film to that hit, but to base said film on the second couple, the couple most viewers who saw the first film have likely forgotten. Wait, it gets better. The actress who played the wife in the original film (ie, in the "second" couple) is Leslie Mann, who, by coincidence, is Apatow's wife in real life. And, ergo, the star of the current film. See? And -- if you like coincidences, you will love this -- Mann herself turned 40 years old the same year that this film was made. So -- let's sum up for those of you having trouble with all this, which should be most of you -- Apatow took the secondary characters from a hit film and made a brand new film about middle aged married people, casting his very own wife. In other words, he decided to do a film about his own marriage. The reviewers have so far been less than kind about his film -- one major reviewer suggesting that all the characters are so horrible he wanted to sell the bunch of them to white slavers -- but one suspects Apatow could care less. This is the film he wanted to make and he made it. Deal with it. Comments... * if you are married, you will "get" a lot of the set pieces in the film. If you are not, you won't. In fact if you are not married, this film may possibly damage you for actual marriage, and should be avoided simply on the grounds of public policy. * Leslie Mann is one of the most photogenic actresses in Hollywood and under different circumstances probably deserved an entire film of her own, just like this one. In fact, she steals entire scenes from Meghan Fox. However, all things considered, these are NOT those circumstances... * overall a forgettable film. Unless you actually are Judd Apatow

Wanted to like it

Author: Julie Reilly from UK
12 December 2013

I really wanted to like this film. My husband and I are both in our early 40s, and we have two girls of a similar age to those in this film. Even the hair colours were the same. i really thought we would like it.

I am a fiction writer and teach a novel-writing course at our local sixth form. We have been doing a lot of work on the importance of a good strong plot-line, and keeping the story going with lots of conflict and tension.

There was lots of conflict and tension. There were a lot of funny moments. But there was no actual story and that just killed it for me. The only thing remotely resembling a plot was some intrigue about who was stealing money from the wife's shop. And that was dealt with in about five minutes. They could have taken this idea, put a lot of the funny stuff in, and woven it around a really decent storyline. 5/10 - could have done better.

This is 40. Judd stubs his Apatow

Author: Ck dexterhaven from United States
15 October 2013

Pete (Paul Rudd) and Debbie (Leslie Mann) are both turning 40. Pete owns a record label, named Retro records, a label that specializes in classic rock. Pete has signed Graham Parker, but the record isn't selling and the label is suffering. Debbie is the owner of a boutique, and she thinks one of her workers has stolen 12,000 dollars from the boutique. Jodi (Charlene Yi) accuses Desi (Megan Fox) of taking the money and Desi accuses Jodi of taking the money. Making the money difficulties worse, Pete has lent his dad Larry (Albert Brooks) 80,000. Pete and Debbie's girls, Sadie (Maude Apatow) and Charlotte (Iris Apatow) don't like each other, and Debbie's got a secret for Pete, she's expecting another child. Does Pete's record company get out of financial trouble? Does Debbie find out who stole the money from her boutique? Does Pete tell Debbie that he lent his father a boatload of money? Does Debbie tell Pete that she's pregnant?

This is 40 has a few funny scenes and jokes, but for the most part, it's a very conventional, clichéd comedy. A middle-aged married couple is growing apart as they grow older, so they decide to change the way they're living to see if that helps their floundering marriage. They have two daughters, one precocious pre-teen, one obnoxious teen who hates her parents and the world. What's more, it doesn't add any insight about being married at middle age. It has a lot of crude language about sex,it's a Judd Apatow production after all. The length of this movie is inexcusable, 2 hours and 15 minutes, for a comedy. There are very few movies that I would watch for 2 hours and 15 minutes, this is definitely not one of them. This movie just drags on and on, for no good reason. And when it turns serious and the characters are screaming at each other, I asked myself why I was watching this movie.

The acting is OK, I'm kind of hot and cold on Paul Rudd movies, he can be great like in I Love You Man, or he can be not-so great. He has funny moments in this movie, but after a while his character grates on me. Leslie Mann is less funny, and more grating than Rudd's character. The girls who play the kids are Apatow and Mann's own kids, so they are probably just playing themselves, and interacting the way they do at home, but why would Apatow allow them to play such clichéd roles, the teen is a horror, she whines about everything and thinks everything is the end of the world. The younger daughter is smart beyond her years (typical) but gets no love from her sibling. Jason Segal is funny, but only in a few scenes. Everyone knows why Megan Fox is in the movie, for the men to ogle at. There's even a scene with Fox that's reminiscent of Phoebe Cates in Fast Times At Ridgemont High. Albert Brooks and John Lithgow are oddly unfunny. Melissa McCarthy has a cameo, but she's essentially ad-libbing and playing the same role as she did in Bridesmaids, so watch that instead, it's much funnier.

If this is two hours and fifteen minutes of Apatow's life, I pity him.

Judd-ge for yourself, read my reviews at my blog. Reviewswithatude.com.wordpress.com

Created an IMDb account just to warn people

Author: markkayko from Canada
31 August 2013

How anyone rates this beyond a 4 is amazing. Total waste of time (and too much time at that).

I have read reviews that warned me about movies before, and still went and saw them. It was hit and miss, but mostly I shouldn't have bothered. I only do this if I have time to kill.

For this movie, I didn't read the reviews, and even if I had, I probably would have seen it. I really like Judd and Paul. I am astounded the they put out such a horrible movie. I am still wondering what the point of it was.

Long story short, even if you have time to kill, watching paint dry is a better use of time. This ranks as the second worst movie I have ever seen. I can't get those 130 minutes back.

(And I feel the acting was pretty good (except for the daughters)). It was just a bad movie.

One of those films that didn't need to be made

Author: Jafar Iqbal from United Kingdom
31 August 2013

Married couple Pete (Paul Rudd) and Debbie (Leslie Mann) are just about to turn forty. Their children hate each other, their businesses are failing, they're on the verge of losing their house and, most worryingly, they're starting to fall out of love with each other.

Spin-off films are always an interesting prospect; to put faith in previously secondary characters can be quite risky, but the rewards are obviously great if it's pulled off. Problem is, though, that they've never worked. And 'This is 40'? Not even bloody close to working! For those that don't know, the leads characters of Pete and Debbie are from 'Knocked Up', another movie I actually haven't seen. I don't know how good they are in that, but 'This Is 40' is just crap. It is boring, long, and full of unfunny characters that I don't care about. I don't care very much about the trials and tribulations that they and the family go through, because they're all so unsympathetic and overbearing.

It's a shame too, because the cast is actually quite good. It's a cavalcade of Apatow regulars, plus some seasoned comedy veterans. A lot of the movie's scenes are improvised (as is the Apatow way), which is all well and good, but improvising rubbish characters is, well, rubbish.

The one exception is Leslie Mann. Mrs Apatow is absolutely fantastic in this movie, really funny and a character that is easy to warm to. Her story is one that I found myself actually engaged in, bu only just. Somehow, Paul Rudd has gone from an always likable actor, to a really annoying one. Megan Fox is pretty awful, and don't get me started on the kids (who are actually Apatow's own kids).

I'm always keen to see Judd Apatow films, because he does have the talent and potential to make very good and very funny films. This is neither very good nor very funny, though; it's uninteresting and not worth the time.

That's right. I didn't like it.

This is pretty much Apatow's most personal film to date, not his best though

Author: RainDogJr from Mexico City
2 May 2013

The "sort-of sequel" of KNOCKED UP completely forgets the main characters of that 2007 movie, the couple of Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl. The characters of Jonah Hill and Jay Baruchel don't appear as well and aren't even mentioned; these guys now perform for Tarantino and Scorsese (Hill) or for Cronenberg (Baruchel was in COSMOPOLIS).

So, they are all replaced with Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann (Pete and Debbie) – the unhappy married couple that was a complement for the fantasy main story of the first movie, about the geek-stoner-slacker that ends with the sexy blonde (that aspired for more). In THIS IS 40,the fourth feature film from the godfather of modern American comedy Judd Apatow, everything seems to be closer to real life, or at least the stress that a married couple with two daughters lives is very well represented.

It's an extension of some scenes we saw in KNOCKED UP, with the woman that suffers because she's not a 20-year-old girl anymore and the man who's feeling suffocated and (now) stressed since his labor/financial situation is getting worse and worse. Plus, their daughters are at complicated ages (the teenager who's fan of technology and LOST, and who doesn't tolerate her 7-year-old sister) – the drama is totally convincing. Do you remember that THE SIMPSONS episode when Maggie is about to born? THIS IS 40 feels pretty similar, with a real issue that always keeps the characters worried, and at the same time with a dose of absurd humor that mostly works really good.

On one hand, Rudd is definitely a very funny protagonist. His character is compared, in a bad sense, with Ross from the sit-com FRIENDS but certainly is difficult to picture Ross exploring himself (in the search of a hemorrhoid) or going nuts with "Debaser" by the Pixies and defending Layne Staley. Equally, Albert Brooks (who leads the supporting cast as the father of Pete) is just hilarious. Once again the situation with this character is real, the father that needs economic support and so becomes a charge, but the result is quite cartoonish (in a good way).

On the other hand, Apatow had some excesses and used too obvious comedy. The cameos of people like Graham Parker and Billy Joe Armstrong, as themselves, are really irrelevant unless you're a huge fan of them. And Megan Fox gets involved in the most obvious thing of the film; everyone treats her right while her less attractive colleague is basically ignored – it's pretty much like seeing her appearance in TWO AND A HALF MEN.

So, THIS IS 40 never stops being a funny cartoon with actors since Apatow didn't lose his characteristics; lots of gags, scatological humor, tons of references to the pop culture (the names of Tom Petty and Justin Bieber are said in a same scene – the audience, by the way, only reacted with the Bieber joke!), citing his favorite movies, cameos or personalities, and doing all in more than 2 hours. There will be people who say that Apatow is just doing the same movie over and over again, but you have to recognize THIS IS 40 as his most personal yet and consequently the one more people will feel identified with.

*Watched it on 11 April, 2013