IMDb > "Switched at Birth" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Switched at Birth"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Switched at Birth" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Beautifully Acted and Written

Author: Julianne McFey
25 June 2011

I rarely begin to follow a television show while it is in its first season for fear that it will be canceled. Yet this one drew me in and I cannot get enough of it. The idea of being switched at birth is so bizarre, and the dynamics of both families are so real. The raw emotion and feelings portrayed by these characters makes me feel sorry for and sometimes resent them all at the same time. The drama always keeps me eager to see what will happen on the next episode. The writers may have struck gold with this one.

Katie(Daphne)and Vanessa(Bay) play two very different girls that are connected by this event that happened to them so many years ago. Even though they have nothing in common, they have more in common than they realize. Constance(Regina)is stubborn yet likable and plays it beautifully, as do the two actors who play the other set of parents. Each character has a way of making you care about them, a way of making you root for them to make the right decision. Great job ABC Family, keep up the good work and I'll be coming back for more every Monday night.

A promising start

Author: thereflex from San Francisco, California
14 June 2011

This TV series shows promise. The actors are fine and the character development and premise of the story is quite involving. If the writers consistently produce solid scripts and story arcs, this show should do well. The idea of the switched at birth formula mixed with the prince and the pauper fable (and the deaf girl embellishment) makes for a rather refreshing plot backdrop. With this set up, they can go anywhere and everywhere with it. Also, there are many details that can make for interesting plot situations, ethnic and cultural diversity, economic class disparity, family situations (one doesn't have a father, the other has a grandmother), so many different things that the writers can play off of. It's good that neither of the two girls are super famous actresses. It would take away attention from the story. The writers have also avoided falling into the stereotypical cliché of everything involved with race and economic diversity. It would be great if the show concentrates on the human drama and that it stays away from politically correct preaching. On the whole, the show does indeed show promise.

Better than most ABCFamily shows

Author: specklescit from United States
23 June 2011

When I saw the first commercial for this show, my interest was piqued. I admit it, I've always been interested in this type of storyline. not exactly "feel good" subjects, but fascinating nonetheless. But then I remembered the network this show is on. It's not bad in and of itself, but when I look at The Secret Life of the American Teenager -- another show I thought had an intriguing plot but was ruined quickly with horrible acting and unrealistic story lines -- and I got a little bit leery.

I was mistaken, and I'm glad I was.

This series shows promise, like a previous reviewer said. The cast is great (I love Vanessa Marano and Lea Thompson, so right there I was sold). The premise is fascinating, and the acting is GOOD. I'm actually really surprised this wasn't pitched at a network/that a network didn't pick it up, because it has a lot of potential. I hope it stays this good.

Currently the best family show out there in a long time!

Author: Starlitelet
11 November 2011

Not only is Switched at Birth (one of) the best family show out there right now, but it's also easily one of the best standalone shows. The concept of the hearing world clashing with the deaf/non-hearing world is truly original and riveting. After the premise, I knew the show had great potential to captivate/hook viewers, but then again it could be disappointing if they wasted such a great concept by taking wrong turns. And fortunately enough, I was taken by surprise.

I have not seen an ABC family show or let alone an American TV show that discusses the values of family and the purity of relationships since Gilmore Girls. Though, I'll admit that I rarely watch American shows anymore, simply because most of the series nowadays are atrocious. Shows like, Gossip Girls and Sweet Life are only about teens yearning to satisfy their hormonal/whiny needs. Their characters are two-dimensional cardboards and the story lines are abysmal or they fall flat overall. Even though Pretty Little Liars doesn't fall under the same category as the two shows mentioned above, the main plot line is extremely unrealistic. The characters are stagnant or they develop in ways where you don't feel emotionally invested in them. They're just actors glamoured up with pretty/trendy clothes. I'm tired of the unnecessary suspense and how unrealistically they react to certain dilemmas.

Switched at Birth has so much more heart and soul then all of those shows combined. Nonetheless, I admit that those were my once upon a time guilty pleasure. After viewing Switched at Birth, I feel shameful for even admitting that.

The Switched at Birth's pilot episode was engaging and refreshing. It got me hooked from the get to, but the first episode can easily work that kind of magic on me. However, this unique show gets better and better with every passing episode. I must applaud the people who have created this show because the pacing of the branching story lines is almost perfect (aside from all the love interests coming and going so quickly). There are also moments where you fear that certain situations will unfold only resolve in preachy manners. But no, that never happens. The resolutions of dramatic problems are heart-warming and endearing to the point where you can forget that you're watching an ABC family show.

The storyline is simple, but the emotional impact that is tossed at you is what makes this drama addicting. The storyline never goes in loops or stretch for too long. You grow to care for these fictional characters that feel real. What I admire about these characters is that they make understandable/close to realistic decisions that don't make viewers mad.

Every single character that ARE STILL ON THE SHOW has remained interesting thus far! I usually get bored from subplots like the parents' storyline for example, but no, I enjoy them just as much as Bay and Daphne's stories.

The characters are well developed so far. Their personalities don't change 180 degrees like a lot of teenage shows do. They stay true to who they are or at least when they change/adjust, it's believable. Each character is important because they all link to each other in some way. I enjoy how friendships/relationships form because they don't feel forced, but instead they seem genuine.

On the other hand, they have literally picked amazing actors to portray these well written roles because every single actor seamlessly fit into the role that you forget they're even entertainers at times. It is obvious that the real life deaf actors are the main reason why this show shines. If it weren't for them, I don't think the show would have been as amazing. Katie Lerclerc, Sean Berdy and Marlee Matlin are the ones who bring the scenes to life. You get to see their perspectives and how they feel/view the hearing world. I am no expert on the deaf world, but after watching just 10 episodes, I definitely want to learn more. They make me feel ignorant for lacking knowledge and missing out on this beautiful culture. If a show is able to get you to this level, then it must be a very, VERY good show.

Daphne, who is played by Katie Leclerc, is my favourite character. Sometimes I forget that Katie is not completely deaf because she seems so natural. Her voice/accent change is incredible. Moreover, when the deaf people interact with one another, they steal the screen. I adore Sean and Marlee's characters' bonding.

I especially love Regina out of all the hearing characters. Constance Marie, the actress who plays Regina, is doing a phenomenal job of being the only character standing on the edge of both worlds. I really feel for her character's struggle. Lea Thompson and D.W Moffett who plays Vanessa Marano's parents on the show can be quite stereotypical American parents. Needless to say, they are essential to the development of other characters. They're just not the hardest roles to play. I still enjoy them a lot. Bay and Toby who are played by Vanessa Marano and Lucas Grabeel are also solid actors. I've seen Vanessa on Gilmore Girls before. Vanessa still acts the same way, except less annoying. I don't see a huge improvement, but she definitely got better in conveying her emotions. Nevertheless, her character grows on you by every episode. I've never seen Lucas in previous projects, but he's one the characters on the show that can deliver witty one-liners. He can change the mood of the scene quite quickly.

Overall, I love this drama to bits despite some minor flaws. You may as well call me obsessed (and I'm proud to admit it). I mean what's there not to like? Original plot, interesting script, inspiring characters, wide range of talented actors and so much more to offer. This series has it all! This show deserves to be much more popular!

Finally..a storyline about the Deaf

Author: rebecca-johnson-298-109713 from Canada
20 February 2012

As a Deaf woman who rarely watches any television shows, because CC is not always accurate, and it gets tiring trying to figure out what is being said in English, I have to applaud the writers and producers of this show. Thank you for *finally* bringing a show to television that incorporates the 3rd largest language in Canada (behind English and French) and 3rd largest language in America (behind English and Spanish) into a television show.

I applaud the writers for broaching many touchy subjects that are important in the Deaf Community. Just because we do not hear does not mean we need to be fixed. Nor does it mean we are 'retarded' or somehow less. Sign language is a beautiful dance of the hands and no 'cochlear implant' or 'hearing aide' can change that.

Thank you for bringing this show to Canada even though it is only showing the first season here. I look forward to the launch of 'Spark' so that I can continue to watch the season series as it unfolds, as it is in America.

A very proud Deaf woman from Canada is loving this show.

A surprisingly good show

Author: Paranoia_RockNRoller from United States
11 February 2012

I had a bias the Switched would be like the other ABCfam TV shows... dull and boring with reeeeaaally bad acting and unrealistic plot lines.

I ignored the first season and over the winter break I found myself with nothing to do. I saw an ad and remembered the series. I looked it up and watched ll of the episodes online.

It is a drama, but a really good one. Not overly dramatic. And the acting is refreshingly good.

Daphne is a quintessential good girl and Bay plays a rebel. And of course Daphne being deaf is a very interesting plot part. As a matter of fact I have started learning sign language because of it.

So I would recommend this series.

Beautiful heartwarming show!

Author: abovethestars
9 December 2011

This is one of the finest show I have ever seen. Really! It is heartwarming, funny, empathic, sweet and simply beautiful. I adore it, and I adore the people in it. The characters are great, the plot is great and the acting is even greater. You will get impressed!

A beautiful and genuine story about two girls who accidentally got switched at birth, and they just found out. With nothing more than the biological bonds between them and their unknown birth-parents the families have to get along with each other, for their daughters sake, and try to make the best of it. I can't wait for the new episodes to come out. This is really amazing, you won't get disappointed!

I love this show.

Author: mirandacrs from United States
10 July 2011

I liked this after the first five minutes. A very well executed, and very well played out series. Every one of the characters can act very well, and the emotions are so real, and I'm so drawn to the show. I make time to watch it every week. I will more than likely be a fan of the show for as long as it lasts. The actress who plays Daphne, is AMAZING. She is not really deaf in real life, but she is so convincing, and I actually forget that she is just an actress. Honestly, this is the most realistic show that ABC Family has ever made. It's funny, sweet, and really raises awareness to what deaf kids in America really go through. I really underestimated all of the abilities that deaf kids have. But, this show has opened my eyes, and it is pure, great entertainment, and I know I will always be a fan.

Surprisingly Charming

Author: eldestjay from London, England
6 August 2011

The thing that attracted me to this show was, of course, the title. "Pretty original" I thought. As far as I knew, no one else had ever tried to tackle such a profound subject. And yes, the subject is profound. Think about it. What if that happened to you? However, I was troubled when I heard the show was one of the many new shows that ABC Family was adding to their list. Why was I troubled? Because the day before, I had experienced the horror that is Cyberbully. But that's another story, and another review. But, I pushed through my doubts, and watched the pilot of Switched at Birth.

Although the show does not handle the extremity of the topic, it still manages to be a decent show. I enjoy it, I really do. And I think that the lightness which is used to deal with the premise of the show, actually works in its favor. If they tried to take it too seriously, ABC Family would most definitely ruin the entire spectrum of the show. Switched at Birth, while not genius in any way, shape, or form, is still a solid show. Although, for ABC Family, it's astounding.

11 stars out of 10

Author: Chanaka Hettige from Sri Lanka
15 October 2012

I'm not a fan of much family TV series. But this took me off the habit. It's one of the best series I have ever watched. Story is centered round two kids whose Switched at birth (Just as the Title suggest). One of them been Def take us all to a whole new society which we are yet to shed some light and discover. How they handle the hardships thrown on them by the "Hearing" - Society and so on. Whole story-line is so flawless and It will grab your interest from the 1st episode. It's really depressing that they take so much time to complete this season but it's really worth the wait. Hope I will see more of this in upcoming years and hope that it will never loose its present quality!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]