IMDb > Painless (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Painless More at IMDbPro »Insensibles (original title)

Insensibles (Painless Review)

Author: Alex Mart from London
11 May 2013

Since there was no relevant review about this movie I decided to watch it and do it myself.

"Painless", this is a 2012 film directed by Juan Carlos Medina, this is the type of movie that tells two different stories in two different times and ultimately everything is related (such as Vantage Point).

The first part tells the story of children who cannot feel any pain, especially one called "Benigno", who is a child that stands out from others for having "something very special" and focuses on the years of the 1,930's at the height of the Spanish Civil war, though the trailer may give the impression that this is a movie where there are rituals, Satan and witchcraft (at least that was my impression), after seeing the movie you realizes that the title has a deeper meaning.

And the other part it tells the story of "David" a man suffering from leukemia and needs a transplant of... "something" that only his parents can give him, and when he does he start to revealing the dark past of his family, this part focuses more or less in the year ... 2012?

I gotta admit that there were parts where I was "lost" because this movie is ... well not completely but there are parts where they speak 3 languages​​: Spanish, German and I think Catalan. And although I have no problem with it, because as any fan of the movies I see movies in their original language (even if I do not understand a freaking thing), you can always activate subtitles. Overall the film is filmed very well there is suspense, and there are moments of "what's gonna happen?". I liked to film, though I "shut down" almost at the end of the movie, but I gained strength at the end when "Berkano" appeared, if you want to know what's that you gotta see the movie. I am surprised that it doesn't appeared in Wikipedia or Rotten Tomatoes. This movie reminded me of Guillermo del Toro's "The Devil's Backbone".

Without feeling

Author: kosmasp
13 September 2013

The movie is not so much a horror flick, than it is a thriller. Many filmmakers say that, because they don't want to be associated with horror, but in this case I haven't seen any interview with the director, so it's my statement to the movie. You could also call it mystery I suppose.

Of course the movie has two time-lines and you will be able to figure out quickly, which is playing at the moment. It might not be clear from the get go (the connection that is), but you might be able to figure out where this is going way before the final conclusion/confrontation comes knocking. I was expecting a bit more, but the film is still able to reach to you if you let it. And once again, kids can be creepy too ...

Disappointing

Author: mario_c from Porto, Portugal
3 March 2013

I was expecting a lot from this film, as the premise is very good: Back to the 30's, in a small town in Catalonia, a group of children are not sensible to pain. This strong premise is very promising but from the start we understand that a mixed and confusing story is coming... It begins with two plots which are continually crossing each other during the film: the one referred about the kids, initially set in the 30's, and other one set nowadays about a medical doctor which loses his wife and at the same time discovers he has a cancer. It's clear these two plots are related but the way they constantly cross along the movie is a bit confusing and boring.

(spoiler) But the worst for me was to discover that this nice and promising theme (of the insensible children) was just a pretext to a (banal!) story of a son searching his own past to find his unknown mother and father… A good thematic was completely spoiled here in my perspective! (end spoiler)

However not everything is bad here! The dark atmosphere created is very good and the monastery chosen as setting is really creepy! But generally this movie defrauded my expectation, mostly because of the plot's disclosures and its ending…

Weak and emotionless narrative

Author: theskykidcom from United States
17 May 2013

The trailer was excellent and the first 20 or so minutes .

Yet the storytelling is far from being perfect - no emotional connection can be established with any of the personages and the only good acting performances were the ones of the children.

Although the cinematography was not bad the film would potentially bore its viewers .

The film is extremely slow paced as well and since the character development is pretty much not existent one could hardly appreciate the story.

The cover art is very misleading as well - as one may come to the conclusion that the film would offer a coming-of-age narrative .