IMDb > The Day (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Very good

Author: edfanjoy from United States
31 March 2014

Fun, engaging. 'nuf said. The villain is amazingly sophisticated and debonair for a cannibal, which is a nice switch. The women are hot warriors. Instead of the usually zombies, they had the countryside overrun with more believable cannibals. An unnamed catastrophe has wiped out all life except humans. No plants, no animals, nothing to eat. The head bad guy sums the situation up nicely: "We're all dying. You're just going faster." These bad guys don't shuffle. The water runs deep.

I enjoyed this so much, I'm writing this review before the movie's over. This is a parallel plot to The Road. Each scene raises the bar. Almost biblical in its message.

i loved this Movie!!!!

Author: jimanuel12 from United States
17 February 2014

Well, what can i say? If you like the movie "The Road" - you will love this one as well. it is along the same story line as the road, but allot more shooting and killing the bad guys in this one. the acting was top notch, the special effects were really good and the movie was just overall a great one. The one thing i liked was the mood, it was almost like in black and white but the special effects were great and the acting was better than expected. but i love these types of apocalyptic type movies anyway, so i was really wanting to see it. had never heard of the movie until i saw a preview and i was hooked big time. as i said, if you liked "The Road" - you will love "The Day".

Thankfully No Zombies

Author: CJ Max from United Kingdom
25 January 2014

I really enjoyed this film. It's bleak look. The weary survivors, lacking food and much ammo taking shelter out of the rain. It reminded me of Night Of The Living Dead, but this time not mindless wandering corpses banging on doors and windows, but a thinking 'enemy' determined to get into the building. The action was very good and well filmed. End of the world type films should all have the look of this film, as with the other film The Road, as the very locations, characters and feeling of real survival, lets us know that life after an apocalyptic event is far from pretty and living is only managed by the strongest and/or smartest survivors/groups. I'm just so glad it wasn't another zombie film !

Ashley Bell: Dark Samurai for the New Dark Age

Author: gulag from Alaska
14 January 2014

The Day is quite impressive. From its drained color to its standoff in the house the film creates its own space in a post-apocalyptic world that seems like another story from same future as The Road. (No animals, dead flora, cannibals.) All of the actors give strong performances but Ashley Bell is a real standout in a performance even better than The Last Exorcist films. She is an actress that creeps up on you... literally both in this film and in the Last Exorcist she seems mousy, almost dismissible to begin with. Then she does something and you can't take your eyes off of her. I don't think she's everyone's cup of tea. But by the time she walks off into the distance at the end she is a dark samurai in the New Dark Age. I, for one, wanted to see where she would go next and whether she could fully recover her humanity. The Day seemed like introduction to her story.

Not bad - I liked it - Some new ideas

Author: gsh999 from Subcrust Base 955 - Venus
25 November 2012

In the beginning of this movie, you are not given any information on what happened to the world, but it becomes clear that humans have survived - some as cannibalistic, predatory tribes and some as non-cannibals who apparently want everybody just to get along.

The protagonists find themselves in an abandoned farmhouse, which is a trap - a cool plot idea - but this incredibly annoying bell rings for so long after the trap is sprung that I almost fast-forwarded the movie. The entire movie is set in the farmhouse, where a group of friends defend the house from a cannibal attack.

There is a lot of wasted potential here. The attack and defense of the house is very unrealistic. The friends are armed with rifles, but attackers are allowed to stand in the open - as if safe - just 100 yards away. It seems nobody gets shot until they are next to the house - and first by a defender who has departed the cover and concealment of the house! These folks need to go back to tactics school.

Incredibly gorgeous actresses make this movie better - but I did not like the dark and dreary filmography. Overall, definitely worth a look for horror fans.

Great movie ,dark and exciting had a real feel to it.

Author: jackburrton from United States
2 June 2013

This is one o the best movies i have seen in a long time.The filming and the actors and actress made it feel real and drew me in as if it could really happen.the darkness in the filming was great the lack of color and the fact that not everyones hair and clothes were perfect and new,Oh and the guys were not superhuman and did not take fifty bullets and live.the fact that they were gaunt and really looked like they were starving gave even more realness to the movie.Also it was not filled with a lot of gore but got the point across and you knew what was implied and still gave fear and despair into the plot.i have watched this ten times and could watch it ten more.I think it will be along time before another movie will come close.

A b-class zombie movie for those who fantasize tough manlike bitches

Author: AlbusMilitis from Finland
28 August 2014

Uhh, what a crapfest of a movie. OK, it had some positive thinks like the black and white filter they used gave the movie a nice apocalyptic mood and it had that guy from Lost (for short while). I generally like post apocalyptic zombie movies but this one is quite poor and has nothing new to give to the staled genre. If this type of movie has non- existing and generic plot, irrelevant actors and bad guys that are lame as hell I can't help but giving this film low score.

It's OK in a sense not telling the audience are we dealing with zombies, vampires, mentally crazy or what but in this movie it was kind of ridiculous. Apparently "they" wiped the mankind but that's all you get from them. Just give us a background story please. Any kind of short intro would have helped but no. We get to know absolutely nothing about the situation.

What about the baddies that pest our good ol' heroes then. The "bad guys" have some sort of tattoos in their arses that made them belong to specific "clan" and those clan people just need to other people for fun and for nourishment. That's reason enough for a film, huh? But the bad people were no zombies or cannibals. They have kids who they love and care, they can plan attack strategies, they talk like normal people etc. But apparently they are dumb as boots not using any weapons when attacking to the house full of people with firearms. They just run there bare handed to get themselves brutally killed. And oh boy they are easily killed and pose little or no threat to our heroes. Not so exciting is it?

And our small group of ragged heroes (Sorry, no plot description here because there wasn't any)? That tough renegade lady was almost cute when she had that sour and "tough" face throughout the movie. She's so tough she even cuts a head off from a cute little girl. A real miss Rambo for sure who can kill men double the size with ease using just knives, axes and similar medieval weaponry. She could take beating like no other and still come out barely having a scratch and in full strength. And in the end, I think she wasn't supposed to be superhuman. A tip for scriptwriters: If you want to make viewers get immersed to the situation, be afraid, and root for the so called good guys, don't make them superhuman OK. The others weren't much more likable either. Token black guy who is clearly ill but at some point the writers forgot about it and he becomes a real killing machine again with full strength. Perhaps the most likable character and actor who can act a bit dies stupidly at the very early stage. Yeah, that guy from Lost is the only actor worth mentioning. Rest of them are just some random bozos found from the street.

Oh well. A positive thing is that the movie is quite short. That is a good thing because I couldn't have bear it any longer.

This is the day...

Author: Tony Bush from United Kingdom
1 November 2012

Post apocalypse time again in this stark little number. Group of survivors wander the barren countryside looking for a place to settle and plant seeds. On their tail are the cannibalistic other survivors on the lookout for some fresh meat to scoff. First group wind up trapped in an abandoned farmhouse whilst the cannibals escalate a siege outside. That's about it.

It's very violent, very tense, and takes significant cues from NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 and STRAW DOGS. None of the characters are particularly nice or noble for the most part and the narrative becomes a process of character elimination whilst the audience hang on in there to see who's going to be left alive at the end.

Everyone here is shrill and aggressive, cynical and selfish to varying degrees, but the end sees some redemption for two characters. It carries echoes of STAKELAND in its depiction of a world reduced to nothing more than a survivalist amphitheatre and if you can weather the nihilism it's a reasonably thrilling viewing experience.

Useless Fodder

Author: complications123 from United States
12 May 2013

I can only guess that many of these quite similar and overwhelmingly positive reviews must have been made by those close to the cast or production or what have you. The Day would've been a pretty mundane affair were all else perfect, but as it stands its bad filmmaking on top of a worse story. We are never treated to things that make other films enjoyable, such as say, an explanation for anything that's happening. We don't know why this world exists, who the characters are aside from vague notions of a normal life turned savage, or what exactly drives the cannibals other than the idea "to survive."

It's impossible to determine the quality of the actors involved due to the drivel that these poor souls are expected to pass off as human speech. In the same vein, there isn't even the faint glimmer of a broken 40 watt light behind a brick wall on another continent of human emotion for the audience to identify with. Through illogical actions and plot contrivances the story progresses without attention to suspense or timing. Everything plods along to the uneventful and poorly thought-out climax. Most of the action takes place during this battle with the cannibals but there is never any urgency or clear goal or anybody really doing anything besides sticking their arms in and out of windows.

The Day is a failure to be sure but even worse its not even a magnificent failure; the entire project has been absolute trash since its inception. And I nearly forgot about the weird murky gray-scale filter that's supposed to be dead and dreary like this "new world." Nauseating and distracting. Don't bother with this one; there's not enough drama, horror, or action in this to be enjoyed by even the least demanding audiences.

terrible terrible movie.

Author: antmeans from United States
26 December 2012

#1 wow another apocalypse movie....really. this is just terrible. a bunch of film school techniques to add "suspense" poorly thought out scenes unrealistic and inconsistent characters. honestly this movie just sucked it's amazing that such a budget could be used on this. the only bright spot is the actual production good camera work and editing. the production crew must've been in absolute hell making this piece of crap. the writer and director should just find some jobs in warehouses or slinging some burgers. these last couple lines are just to make this long enough. it doesn't take ten lines to analyze the fiasco this film is.

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]