IMDb > The Day (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Dark Day

Author: kosmasp
6 May 2012

Up to this point the first three reviewers were raving about this and added a very positive vibe out for this movie. While I won't disagree with them (it's a decent movie), I cannot fully share their enthusiasm. The movie is excellently shot (moody if you want to call it that) and has a stellar cast. But I never felt that it went places (no pun intended) or had the upper hand on other, similar movies.

One of them being "The Divide", which I thought had some interesting ideas and was also confined in an area, but was also more compact and more suspenseful overall. The movie on hand is good too and if you like your end of the world thriller to have some drama and action mixed in, this won't disappoint you. Just don't expect it to be more than meets the eye (characters are well drawn, but nothing pushes this over the edge for me)

Pretty Awful

Author: Mike Boyd from New York
25 October 2012

Typical blood splattering nonsense where people do stuff that nobody would.

Silly tricks to make you jump like having someone scared in the woods, looking around for people chasing her and a figure passes really close to the camera at the same time a loud high pitched noise is generated. Just tricks to make you jump, but not because the plot or story is scary.

A girl in the middle of a field hears a noise and crouches down in the middle of the empty field as the camera zooms in and then magically someone grabs her. Now, where the heck did he come from? Answer: it was impossible, it was just another silly trick to make you jump.

Combine that with totally unnecessary blood splattering torture and that's about it. Not worth the time really.

Sorry this review is not well structured... I just finished watching the film and don't want to waste any more time on it.

Bloody Terrible

Author: Grace Chan from Ireland
11 November 2012

The Day has enough craft and care in the beginning to think, this might be an indie winner. It's tense and brooding and has a decent premise. But as soon as the plot and the characters really come into play, you just think, "Silly me for having high hopes."

The real draw of a post apocalyptic movie is character development in tough survival situations. The characters in The Day are as flat as a pancake and flip on their 2D character traits at the drop of a hat when it serves the script.

This movie is very very cliché, and throws in gore for gore's sake. Also in the fighting apparently only the 'goodies' are capable of one hit kills where as the 'baddies' must fight in a fog of war and can only target and engage in battle with one person at a time.

The CG smoke and fire is pretty bad and the sound track is woeful. As soon as you hear a heavy rock number to indicate 'badass action moment' it just smacks of "I've a friend in a band" syndrome.

If you watch this with some friends who like ripping into movies, this could be a good one, but otherwise, stay away.

Nothing really Oscar worthy but acting is good. Fans of "Book Of Eli" type movies will like this. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I say B

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
26 November 2012

"You have fortification and you know they're on their way and you have me...I'll kill them all." After the apocalypse the world is a wasteland. What started off as a large group has now become 5 and the 5 are looking for food and supplies. While on their a road they spot a farmhouse and decide to check it out and think they have a place where they can rest, get dry and regroup. Things change quickly. Going in I was expecting this to be along the lines of "The Divide" where a group is locked in somewhere and they have to band together to get out alive. This is more along the lines of "The Book Of Eli" where it's a group against another. The movie is pretty graphic and gory in parts but it's nothing really over the top and most people should be able to handle it OK. For a movie like this the cast is pretty well known and while the acting isn't amazing it is very good and fits the movie. This is nothing that is Oscar worthy but for a movie of this subject it is actually pretty entertaining and better then I expected. I liked it more then I thought I would. If you are into movies like this then you will really enjoy this surprise. I give it a B.

A great post-apocalyptic horror/thriller.

Author: Michael 'Hallows Eve' Smillie from New Zealand
23 October 2012

This movie was a great surprise for me as I wasn't holding high hopes for it. I'd heard a little about it and I had read a few things about it but I'm glad it wasn't over-hyped (not here in New Zealand any way). Although this kind of storyline has been done before the director has utilized it well here. I was in to the film from the start, and the characters were actually likable - apart from one, not going to give too much away but you'll know who I mean when you watch it. As for the action and blood, let's just say this film doesn't let you down. There are some good scenes in this movie and it was a pleasant surprise after some of the rubbish coming out of Hollywood lately. So I give it a solid 8 out of 10. A good watch.

This was awesome!!

Author: cdhayes-165-295338 from United States
21 September 2011

Saw this movie in Toronto and loved it! It's not your typical post-apocalyptic thriller. There is a lot of action - as the previous reviewer said it picks up after about half an hour and the adrenaline is pumping from there on out. But it also has pretty deep character development and some emotionally intense scenes. The cast has some recognizable faces (Sossamon, Monaghan, etc.) but no huge stars or clichéd action heroes that detract from the characters. I thought the tension and emotion seemed really authentic. It was also shot in a really cool way. All in, it had everything I was looking for in an action film but was more unique and memorable than I was expecting. Can't wait to see it again on the big screen!

Well done

Author: mukrotten from Canada
24 January 2013

I had high hopes for this movie with the cast involved. And to be honest, I loved it. It's not the best movie I have ever seen, but I have recommended this to people, and will definitely watch it again.

It seems a bit low budget at first, but you truly forget about it as it was shot very well. The acting is perfect for the type of film it is and if you have seen it you can see how some of the actors put their bodies to the limit. It makes me as the movie watcher happy to see actors give it their all for a 'smaller' film like this.

Acting was great, plot was good, all around a good flick. Pay no attention to those who bashed it, apparently remakes and big budget crap is what they were looking for. This is a solid movie!

Total mess ,sanity alert...

Author: CATAHA OXEPEHHAR from Israel
27 October 2012

Lets say at least its still watchable...BUT... It has good picture ,nice acting ,but the script is a total stupidity. Writer and director must commit suicide. Idiotism begins from the start - ppl are walking down the road and first what i think ,wtf there is all there possessions. The rain is going and they got chills ,1 of them even sick but they don't have no rain protection ,even piece of plastic bag or something. And then comes EPIC : "We need to get to the mountains. Whats there? Mb there we can find water..." Hell, in that scene they are standing with HUGE puddle of water (swamp or even river) on back ground and it is RAIN right from above ,just OMG. Further its just getting more and more idiotic pace. Logic and sanity means nothing for director and script writer ,but its still watchable... So if you want to laugh and have nothing to do with an hour of your life ,go on watch it ,'cause its lil bit better when TV series or news block on TV.

boring

Author: mikki-lee-cooper from Australia
31 August 2013

This is one of the most dull and uneventful movies I have ever seen. Rarely I feel tempted to turn movies off without even watching the ending and I felt this way whilst watching 'The Day'. The film seems well made in some aspects (eg. the actual filming is good). However, the characters and plot are not entertaining in the slightest. What the group are running from is unclear, it seems like they are just running from normal people. It only hints as to what they may be running from when the young girl licks blood from her hand. I also don't like the colouring in the film, it is so dark it almost seems black and white. I feel that this effect does nothing but add to the dullness of the film.

The kids aren't alright

Author: m-a-elsewhere
6 March 2013

Bleak and fairly effective low-budget survivalism in the post-apocalyptic hellscape. Set ten years after the no-need-to-explain end of world (one character notes: "it's been two years since we heard a bird chirp)and with, in the first half of the movie, a cinéma vérité feel, what remains of humanity seems to be running on fumes. Whereupon, events take a turn for the worse.

Produced by and featuring Dominic Monaghan, the script initially appears to tread the conventions of a zombie movie, until it becomes clear that the five main characters face opponents far worse than the undead.

Well considered use of color-bleached cinematography keep the protagonists trapped in a NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD milieu even as the enemy enjoys blue-eyed, blue-sky color.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]