IMDb > Day and Night (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Day and Night More at IMDbPro »Tag und Nacht (original title)

Not much there besides emptiness

Author: keenast from Los Angeles
27 March 2016

A story done a a thousand times, 2 young women moonlighting as prostitutes. That happens a lot in real life and it is also a common fantasy. Unfortunately though our 2 heroes in this film don't bring much to the game. It's not the actors faults (well it is too) it's mostly a fault of the script that is amazingly empty, one might call it a quickie: no emotions involved, let's get over it.

But then, something like that doesn't work as a movie. Making a film, any film, is a laborious thing to do that takes many months and sometimes years out of one's life. Doing that on the premise of a bland and uninteresting script and story line is wasting everybody's time.

So we're having two 'students' - and calling them 'students' one would at least expect some kind of intelligence, some thoughtfulness, but that doesn't happen. The one girl (Anna Rot) constantly giggles no matter what, the other one (Magdalena Kronschläger) seems to be a slightly deeper character but there's only hints of a more complex inner life, not enough by far to make anything out of it.

There is another character in this film, the 'pimp', written and acted so colorless that he is forgotten the second he is off screen. He shall rename nameless.

Then we have the 'clients' of our wannabe prostitues. Again lifeless people with no real personality - cheesy and full of (movie) cliché.

In the end this film is not worth watching. It's all empty calories.

Two woman, different like day and night, tangle themselves up in a dangerous game of sex, money and the false assumption that they are able to control the game.

Author: Silke Brase from Germany
15 February 2012

Lea (Anna Rot) and Hanna (Magdalena Kronschläger) are students in Wien, Austria. They decide to try prostitution to make some easy money. The pact between the two of them says, that they will stop with it as soon as one of them wants to stop selling her body.

While Hanna is shy, serious and reserved, Lea is open, sexy and always smoking. For Lea, everything is just a game. She takes life, sex and money easily. You soon get the feeling that Lea is the strong one in their friendship, she makes the decisions and has a little power over Hanna. It is no surprise, that the first impression is not always the right one.

For a while, it seems like the plan of making money in an easy way is working out. But only for a while. What started as a funny game, gets serious and ends in a disaster for everyone.

The movie cannot hold, what it promises in the beginning. The story is too predictable and too shallow for me. It does not get under the surface. Only scratches on it a little.

The whole atmosphere is cold. All the human abysses you sense are presented in a cool way. It is hard for me to find a person to feel with, because I do not like all of them very much. The characters are strangely plain and I can't find much of myself in them.