IMDb > Robotropolis (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Robotropolis

Robotropolis More at IMDbPro »

The CGI robots were more sincere than the characters...

Author: aelthric from United Kingdom
18 September 2011

Where to begin?

This film is nothing but annoying on so many levels, it lacks suspense, it lacks a coherent storyline, it lacks any semblance of grittiness or of the most basic realistic emotional responses from the actors (Even the most whacky Sci-Fi premises are generally redeemed by applicable emotional acting).

It was almost as if this film was created by a group of media studies drop outs, at all levels it fails from the talentless actors to the clueless direction to the ludicrous scripting and storyline to the terrible CGI...

I have seen better acting, direction and story lines in home movies on youtube...

The most annoying aspect is the insincerity of the acting...

I recommend you avoid this film like the plague...

PS According to Copyright protection agencies we are expected to waste our hard earned money on garbage like this before we have had a good opportunity to see what we are buying, this garbage movie is the perfect example of why the file sharing revolution is gathering momentum...

ADDENDUM : It appears that there are a tiny minority for whom such terrible acting, terrible scripting, terrible plot etc are an attraction, these people seem to be able to suspend their disbelief at such scenes as the saving of a child in one scene and in the next scene the child has disappeared without explanation (I can only assume that the child actor decided that this garbage was beneath her already meagre acting abilities and quit during production)....

These people are easily identified by their attention to criticising other reviewers who gave honest reviews of this garbage, to these people I simply say "If you enjoyed this garbage so much and disagree with honest reviews so much then I am sure you will not mind refunding the rest of us the hard earned cash we paid to either watch or buy this cretinous tripe"...

When your anti-virus stops working.

Author: davidfurlotte from Canada
18 September 2011

Even before reading the synopsis of this movie you already know that it is going to be about machines going crazy and people being in danger.

Some of the things in this movie were taken right out of I, Robot, like how the colour of the visible light on the robot changed from nice blue or green to ominous red.

*****Serious Spoilers Here***** The acting in this went from VERY VERY bad to mediocre and a good part of that I blame on the director and the writer.

So, here's the premise, you're playing a nice game of soccer or football as our Brit friends would say, with a robot on one of the teams and the robot shoots and kills one of your friends, what do you do? You don't panic but you immediately check on your friend to see if he's alive and maybe someone pulls out his cell and calls for help, right? WRONG, at least according to the script for this movie. Everybody stands around looking at the robot and down at their dead friend and then they just walk away. Can almost hear them saying, "Damn, Frank was such a nice guy, too. Too bad about him dying like that. Anyone think that perhaps his wife might be annoyed with us?" Oh, and let's not forget the main actors for this movie. The "news crew" also just stands around looking at the scene. They keep the cameras rolling of course but do they bother to try and do anything? NOPE. The robot eventually walks away from the situation and the main news reporter (who just graduated from medical school) gets a little closer to the man that's down and stays cool, calm and collected as she pronounces him DEAD. Check for a pulse? Nah, why would you want to do that, might get some blood on you or wreck the nail job you got yesterday.

Seriously, did anyone even bother to THINK before they put some of these scenes together? It goes downhill from there. If you do NOT pass on this one, you can't say I didn't warn you.

What a waste of time.

Author: Asilee from United States
21 September 2011

I'm not going to really get into depth about this movie, nor make this a long review.

Just know that, it lacks creativity. It really, really sucks. The acting is horrible, the storyline is pointless. Whoever decided to direct this movie didn't try hard enough; whoever came up with this movie should have went back to the drawing board. I made a movie in high-school back in 2004 and it was better than this piece of work. The animations they used were very obvious, not believe able at all. The effects looked sloppy and it look like there was no effort at all. The only believable effects about this whole movie was the camera moving.

The end.

Really really awful. Seriously!

Author: eodhasa from Dublin, Ireland
21 November 2011

I do love all things sci-fi, and I've been known to tolerate some fairly bad sci-fi B movies, but this was well and truly awful. No plot to speak of or character development, badly written and some pretty terrible acting to boot. It was almost as if someone stumbled upon a child's short story and decided to run with it as a script.

It opens with a rescue/recovery type scene which piqued my curiosity and promised something perhaps more interesting and in-depth to come. Unfortunately the opening scene is arguably the high point of the movie. What came after was just a jumble of badly acted live reporting scenes & interviews with a few chases thrown in later on, but overall nothing anyone will not have seen done better in other movies. Trying to write a summary of this movie is actually incredibly difficult as nothing of note actually happened in it.

I honestly don't know how or why I sat thru this until the end.

You have been warned!!!

Quite adequate robot rampage B movie.

Author: (nenslo@yahoo.com) from Portland Oregon USA
22 September 2011

I guess I am not critic enough to slam a movie I haven't even watched like other "reviewers" of this film, so I can tell you I watched all of Robotropolis; not to look for things to gripe about but to take it on its own merits and just have some fun. It's about robots going berserk and killing people - and that is what happens. The CG design and integration into the live action was pretty good, the locations were unusual and interesting, the action kept up a good pace, and it didn't get excessively grisly, though there is some moderately graphic unpleasantness. There were occasional flashes of wit in the dialog and a little inventive camera-work in the chase scenes, but in the end it's a robot rampage movie. Sometimes it's going to be kind of silly. If that's not what you want in a movie, don't watch it. I found it adequately entertaining, it kept my interest and I don't feel I was cheated of my time as I sometimes have with flashier, more expensive movies. Just a decent B movie. Comparisons, they say, are odious and taking it for what it is, not what I think it should have been instead, I think everyone involved did a pretty good job. Some things are just for fun and I liked this fine.

Robot Plop

Author: t-dooley-69-386916 from London, United Kingdom
1 July 2012

This is billed as some sort of war zone robot versus human in a desperate fight to the death; a sort of 'Terminator' meets 'I Robot', the reality is so far removed. So where does it go wrong? Well the synopsis is that a group of investigative reporters are dispatched to do a piece from 'New Town', this is an oil mining facility somewhere in the South China Seas. It is owned and run by forward thinking Mega National Industries.

Once there the CEO tells them that this is basically 'the future' in that robots are now fully integrated. They do all the jobs we can't be arsed with, like routine maintenance, security and taking the kids to school. They are all alike except for some security markings and look like a poor version of the Storm troopers from Star Wars - only poorly done in CGI. Whilst the 'reporters' are doing a piece to camera, of an innocent game of 'soccer. One robot "catastrophically malfunctions"! Well it shoots one of the other players and this is live on the news feed. This then becomes a 'Killbot!!' and as the news is fed all around the less than interested world, the fortunes of Mega Naffall Industries start to wane.

What happens next is an exercise in how to save production costs. I once saw a film producer say that the best invention for film ever, was the telephone. He demonstrated by picking up his phone and screaming 'what you mean Godzilla has eaten New York!?!' This would apparently save three million dollars. Well director Christopher Hatton has come up with a newish way, he has the anchor man in the news room have the reporter tell him what is going on in New Town as the camera has been eaten by a killbot ; so we are told that thousands have died and even more are on the streets fighting the robots. The only news reel we can see shows six lack lustre fifth rate 'actors' doing a ropey pretence of running away from some killbots who are armed with everything from electric carving knives, to flame throwers. The anchor man says at one point 'for those of you that pray, this would be a good time'; well I started praying to the gods of decent acting, good continuity, plot development and production values - alas my prayers were left unanswered.

This third rate, badly acted guff continued for a bowel shatteringly, boring 81 minutes, it would have made a better comedy but in the end it is a big idea versus a small budget and I guess the budget just won. The ending is seen lumbering before it is even over the horizon and by the time it happens you will be looking forward to watching a local news bulletin rather than endure any more of this unctuous tripe. I tried to like it and even laughed at one point, but it was for all the wrong reasons - this will appeal to no -one do yourself a favour even if you are tempted, just watch a community cable channel it will be time better spent.

Yet another movie where they decide to cut to black without resolving anything.

Author: philip4579 from Canada
21 September 2011

Warning, minor spoilers follow. Nothing big, and certainly nothing you don't see coming.

It's predictable. It's anti-climatic. It's poorly thought out. Poorly acted (you know everyone is phoning it in). The CGI is really poor too, but there are so many elements of the movie that are so much worse you don't even notice. Everything bad you can say about a film, this has got it. The story goes exactly in the directions you expect it to, and right when you think the movie is about to have a creative reason for why this is happening, it get's shot down and replace with the tired "you took all the credit for our invention" hook. Aside from the fact that this came right out of nowhere, the inventor never claimed to be the sole inventor, he actually says outright that it was a group effort. There is just so much suck in this movie, but I'll skip to the worst part.

There is no ultimate resolution. At the end of the movie, it just cuts to black. We don't find out if the robots are stopped in time. We don't find out if the protagonists survive. We don't find out if the villain get's punished. It just cuts to black in a laughable attempt at depth.

Unless you really enjoy bad movies and robots, don't bother.

Had potential

Author: mergatroid-1 from Canada
18 February 2012

This movie was almost good. The acting was on and off, as some of the actors seemed pretty good while others should not quit their day jobs.

The robot effects were pretty good. They did not quite convince me they were really there but they came close. I have to give them points on the story. It wasn't bad and if given a bigger budget it could have been pretty decent.

Too bad about the script though. Again, one of the things that stick out most about bad movies for me is how bad the script is. I've seen some movies with pretty good actors, but the movie sucked because the script was so bad you could tell the actor didn't even want to say the lines.

So, not a bad story about robots running amok and killing everyone they come across, not bad effects (the effects company shows great promise IMO) but hit and miss acting and a poor script.

I watched it once, I doubt I'll watch it a second time.

No-Bot

Author: ohsokool from United States
22 September 2011

Easily one of the worst films made in the last decade. If you're able to get past the first 20 minutes of awful acting, you were probably high, drunk or both. I understand this is supposed to be a sci-fi film, but at the very least inject some touches of reality - which this film failed to do. (partial scene spoiler coming up)

I mean honestly, a robot playing soccer gets scolded and head-butt by a human, and the robot shoots him dead. This is all captured live during a broadcast about the robots interacting with humans. Not only do his friends run off, but no one bothers to call the ambulance. When the dead guys friends do come back, instead of calling for help, they start chanting "Nobot! Nobot".Really.

After that poor excuse for a scene in a movie, I just stopped watching. Avoid this garbage.

Nobots!

Author: Greg Thompson from United States
25 September 2011

Honestly... watching this film was a bad idea.

Bad writing.

A soccer player and a robot get into a fight. Why are all the people on the field not even paying attention to it? Then the robot kills him and they all leave. Why is the news crew just chilling like he won't do anything else? The robot just walks away and the news crew is minimally cautious as he does so. Why are they even approaching the killbot? Then the players come back and chant nobots nobots! Why has no one called for help or even checked on their buddy? The movie just goes downhill...

Do not waste your time, unless you find humor in watching terrible movies. Watch a real robot movie - iRobot or Terminator.