IMDb > Resident Evil: Damnation (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Biohazard: Damnation

Resident Evil: Damnation More at IMDbPro »Biohazard: Damnation (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Fun to watch

Author: Bruce Wayne from United States
18 September 2012

Of note, this is a movie. It will not scare the pants off of you like the games can. Understanding that it is not the game makes the film easily enjoyable.

The CGI is VERY well done and the English voice acting leaves little if anything to be desired. The storyline is simple and recurring characters are portrayed faithfully. The fight scenes are choreographed very well.

Leon seems to have more quips in this film, but those are forgiven in the light of everything else. Thankfully, he is starting to show a bit of weariness in his plight. JD steals the show for a short bit without detracting from the mood of the film. Ada is ruthless and manipulative as ever. All in all, a fun ride.

You do not need to have seen Resident Evil: Degeneration to enjoy this film, though I would suggest you see it anyway as it is a great film in its own right.

For fans of the video games, there is a treat to be had that is not on the cover.

This film, as well as Degenerations, are considered to be canon whereas the travesty known as the live action films are not.

Best resident evil movie yet!!!

Author: Greeny Amber Smith from vietnam
22 September 2012

I can't say anything more! it's amazing to me that Capcom and Sony have brought the best movie of the series to all of us, and importantly the fans of the video game. Resident Evil Damnation was a spectacular breakthrough, more interesting and better than RE: Degeneration. The Effect and CG was great to me, it showed the monsters extremely vividly, beautiful slow-motions. You must keep your eyes open all almost 2hrs because of the very-fast rhythm and nice action of Leon and Ada. The noteworthy thing is about the Lickers- fast,many and even they were the good assistants (know while watching!!!???). Dramatic has been pushed up to the climax when Leon and Buddy against 2 giant Tyrans. And that was the 2nd anniversary of Leon when he was getting on the brink of death to save someone (1st in RE Degeneration)!!! Will you have a good day off? So let's buy the DVD or Bluray from 25 Sep. and enjoy it, maybe you'll agree with my reviews. My rating: 9/10

Author: Jaymz Smith from Canada
22 September 2012

I'm gonna keep this short and sweet.

Biohazard: Damnation ramps up the tension that Degeneration only started to create. This CG film is bigger, bolder and smarter in every aspect.

The voice acting is magnificent.

The characters have been improved and look more like their "game" selves.

The action is brutal and very fast paced. You'll be on the edge of your seat but at the same time pressed into it.

More of our favorite characters from the games are brought in to play. Without spoiling it, I'm gonna say that just about everyone who watches this film will gasp and laugh a few times at some of the reveals.

The plot is simple yet brilliant. It's suspenseful and very intense. It's just the right mix of action and horror.

Finally, the CGI is stunning. The first few opening scenes had me fooled into thinking it was live-action.

Overall, this is one that'll keep just about everyone - both fans of the games and fans of movies in general - happy.

Leon FTW!

Author: alex_aka_nostunna from Sweden
21 September 2012

I've been waiting like a fat kid who wants candy to watch this movie and the candy was good. Once again i watch Leon S. Kennedy fighting bad guys but this time not Umbrella, he's stuck in a civil war in Europe between government ops and rebels.

The Plot was a little more than "good" but not excellent, i liked the first movie more but this movie was a little bit different. The feeling that i had watching this movie was kind of a widespread feeling but it felt good. I highly recommend people who love the RE:Franchise to watch the animated movies because these movies are more like the games.

These animated movies really capture buildings and the beautiful environment really good that makes the movie more pleasant. All from graphics to the sounds was RE-style which made this movie a killer.

Good movie on its own

Author: mergatroid-1 from Canada
19 October 2012

I have not played any of the Resident Evil games, but am a fan of the movie series.

This movie apparently takes place in the game universe. I had purchased the first Resident Evil animation, but have not watched it in a while.

This movie stands quite well on its own. The plot is fairly straight forward. Mr cool guy spy had been ordered away from his vacation to check out a problem regarding prisoners of war in a war torn former soviet country. It turns out they were turned into BOWs (Bio Organic Weapons). These are basically humans that have been mutated by a weaponized virus into deadly creatures controlled by whoever has been infected with the master form of the virus.

The country is undergoing a revolution, and the rebels have resorted to using the BOWs against the army. Our hero tries to survive and fight until he can figure out who's controlling the BOWs, and discovers the rebels are not the only ones with BOWs, and there is in fact a much deadlier version right under his very nose.

Action packed all the way through. The animation is better than the first animated movie and the story and acting are great. I enjoyed every minute of it, and I think animation, horror and/or zombie fans will enjoy it too.

The BEST Resident Evil Movie to Date

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
28 September 2012

I am not kidding, you name any one of the movies - This one reigns above them all as superior. One thing that makes these anime's reign above the Paul WS Anderson movies (which are good for stupid action movies) is that these ones have DEPTH to characters. I truly cared about whether Leon and Buddy were going to stop these things as opposed to the Live action ones where I'm like "Another cool action sequence." I did like the imagination and thought put into some of the concepts here used in the film. The idea of somebody having the ability to control the monsters is a very good idea that (lets be honest) evens out the odds when the protagonists are facing something like Nemesis.

I am going to say something right now to clear things up - I think this is not only the best RE movie to date but the best video game adaptation. However, aside from these movies nothing too good or memorable has been done, The only other one I have seen in recent memory is Max Payne and that was truly awful (and offensive to a fan of the games like myself).

Resident Evil Retribution is one I will see but it has A LOT to surpass if they're EVEN THINKING about surpassing this one.

More Faithful and entertaining than the live action films

Author: johnboyjunior from United Kingdom
27 September 2012

Being a big Resident Evil fan who is constantly disappointed with the Mila Jovovich Resident Evil movies I was awesomely pleased with this movie.

The plot is simple, Leon Kennedy is sent to an European country to investigate the use of B.O.W.s in a civil war. Shortly after arriving he ''meets'' some local freedom fighters and things escalate from there.

There are quite a few nods to Resident Evil 2 (The game), the best of which was very unexpected but makes the climax of the movie pretty damn exciting. The movie itself feels very much like Resident Evil 4, which is no bad thing.

**MILD SPOILER** The characters from the games leon, Hunnigan and Ada act just the way they should. Ada turns up to antagonize Leon as usual, and their innuendo ridden to-ing and fro-ing continues.

It really says something about a CGI movie when it outclasses its live action counter part and Resident Evil Damnation does this in every way.

If you enjoyed the Paul W. S. Anderson directed Resident Evils...and I use the term ''Directed'' very...very loosely then you will love this movie. A Resident Evil movie...that Actually feels like a Resident Evil Game, Brilliant

Keeping Resident Evil's tradition of excellent graphic and poor storytelling alive.

Author: quincytheodore from Indonesia
7 January 2014

Never heard of Resident Evil: Damnation before? Can't remember which movie it is since most Resident Evil movies have one spectacular word in the title but ultimately fails to deliver? Worry not, Resident Evil: Damnation is a 3D animation Blu-Ray/DVD spin-off which didn't air in cinema, so at least you won't regret paying for ticket. Using full CGI, the movie has excellent visual and wicked action scenes, although the usual problem of campy one-liner and some plot issue linger like bad does of T-Virus.

Graphic is top-notch, it's on par with some of the best CG of this gen. Facial structure and body motion have been polished greatly, and props to Capcom for making hair look quite realistic. The shiniest part is how it cleverly manipulates the lighting, every light source has different ambiance. Tone of atmosphere looks differently under many shades, be it from moonlight, sunrise, tiny light from bullet holes or even simple flashlight. Shadow dances about delicately, making the contrast of light and dark even more featured.

Monsters are eerie down to its gruesome details, especially noted in occasional switch to first person view. While there are not many kinds, the movie highlighted its monsters with dynamic speedy movement and imposing physique. The movie succeeds in capturing the intense essence of older Resident Evil games, while not as consistently as it could've been, it's certainly better than what its predecessors had to offer. Action is swift and neatly done, some are melee hand to hand combat, and silly it may be, Ada Wong fighting against female president is quite the spectacle.

At latter part, the action intensifies with remarkable pace. There are not many sequences that can rival the movie in its climatic moment, even amongst today's adventure movie or game. However, these bits are rather short compared to the dull slow build up, its graphic is not without fault either. In some larger scale scenes, motion and details aren't as smooth as the rest. The constant slow-mo might get old and it becomes very apparent from the number of stuffs thrown, it caters to 3D viewing.

Story is expectedly confusing, despite the social and political back story it tries to present. It's a shame, since the plot could've been more solid if only there's more explanation than stupid quips. Resident Evil is infamous in its regurgitation of B-movie humor attempt, it thinks that it's clever, it's most definitely not. I find it hard to believe anyone would have the time to produce corny remarks when running from homicidal nightmarish creatures.

The bad dialogue also hurts characterization, even though the movie barely has any character development to speak of. In several scenes, it tries to draw some sort of emotion, but the ludicrous script contradicts the effort. This is not some self-deprecating jokes that can be funny, it is just bad. Story severely needs more clarity, things just sort of happen, little to none explanation is given as it pushes more dramatic moments with frivolous lines.

Somber chirping tracks accompanies the movies; it's pretty good, obviously bringing more reminiscence and some tension. Dubbing is decent, there's a lip-sync awkwardness, but it is expected in multilingual film. Ending song is simply atrocious, bad marketing decision since the credit also serves as teaser for Resident Evil 6.

It's undeniably the film has some production value as quality of the visual and action are high. Capcom commendably elevates the graphic, but the use of flimsy screenplay and inane catchphrase should be things of the past. The franchise is trapped in the limbo of advancing technology and mundane writing. As it stands now, Resident Evil: Damnation is a decent DVD spin-off plagued with tiresome plot.

Rate 6/10

Weak script yet manages to wrap it

Author: buddybhupender from New Delhi
20 September 2012

I was fortunate enough to watch this movie before it is releasing on mass media. The RE franchise is here with one more release and like its previous gaming storyline we also see Leon S. Kennedy (Fans might recall him in the Bio hazard installment)as the lead character.

Here he once again is on a mission in one of the fictional country named as East Slav Republic which was a part of former USSR and now is suffering in a domestic war with socialistic rebels and whole country is on a verge of destruction as CIA and Kremlin suspects that more radical methods (here Bio Organic Weapons B.O.W.S in short)of tactics are being employed by either of the side to win this war but which side they are not sure. Hence Leon is send here to seek and neutralize any such threats found. As he infiltrates the country he is informed that US govt. has ordered all the American citizens in the Slav Republic to return at once so as military of Slav is ready to destroy the rebels once and for all and the country was not secure for civilians.

But Leon witnesses something strange and decides to disobey the direct order of US govt. so that he himself will investigate further one if any conclusive evidence is found he will neutralize it and only then he will return but he is captured by rebels after a slave mutant creature attacks him in an abandoned parking lot and after that it is cat and mouse game for both the parties involved and Leon finds himself in between both of them but who is real threat he yet has to figure out.

Well as the movie progressed i was amazed at the graphics and animation is lot better then previous installments yet the creatures were not given proper style and most of the time they felt like a bubble floating on screen..they were looking more like a video game scenario rather to be a part of a movie. so i was not pleased here but overall the sound and visual effects were pretty good and storyline was somehow similar like you are surrounded with creatures in a remote area and no help is around you have ammo and you gotta find your way out.

Though storyline is still in the sync with the theme of this RE franchise the one thing i liked was that the way movie ended it also kept the suspense going for me and we might see the sequel for this in the coming year or so. The dark elements of the movie were more heavy here like dark corridors, underground tunnels, sound effects and off course violence every thing you are familiar in this series is showcased little bit here which was a surprise as i did not witnessed any thing more twisted and disfigured as i was hoping and was disappointed as after playing so many parts and encountering dozens of freaky creatures my appetite for entertainment fell short but still the director used the thematics to kept the story going and i would say he did an OK job.

So a weak story line might prove a disadvantage for this movie because the whole theme of the movie demands more twist, action, madness and freaky monsters which was in shortage here.

Still movie reign ahead due to better entertainer then latest Resident evil installment starring Mila Jovovich which has no story at all.

This movie has decent action scenes which keep the interest going and does not disappoint in the end as the smart climax does not disclose the whole story and a lots of questions are left unanswered.

Final verdict- Go watch it; as it still manages to entertain thought people might find the game-play stories of RE franchise more capturing and exciting but it is a decent effort as there is not any formula for making a hit movie. The Director and technicians have made good efforts and and as a fan i still love whatever this franchise can offer.

And don't worry you can recommend it to friends despite its weak story line.

My rating 7.5/10

Another pretty good movie based on a popular video game

Author: Angels_Review from United States
27 December 2013

This reminded me of Resident Evil 4 slightly. Leon goes in alone and gets captured by the people he came there to stop. I guess the only thing real different is that they found something that controls the creatures to a point. We have all of the characters from Leon's side of the storyline like the 'bombshell' Ada Wong to Leon Kennedy and Ingrid Hunnigan. And even in all of this, they have new characters that actually are lovable even if they don't stay for very long.

The problems I have with the show are actually rather minimal but the ending feels as though it was extremely predictable. We have a large fight going with a 'new' form of strong bio-weapon, and a facility that is about to go through genetic cleansing. Then we have the 'boss' fight with multiple stages to him.

It's interesting that they used images of Resident Evil 6 in the ending theme but if you haven't played the game, your left wondering what the reasoning was for it. I know I may be reviewing these shows out of order but a good movie normally has something that helps even new watchers understand what's going on.

Wow, the animation actually looks so much better then what they had in Degeneration. It's much more fluid and the characters look much more realistic without going over the boundaries of the game style. We even get the exploding heads of the zombie people that I bet those who have played the games hate. One of my favorite points is when they go into first person view because it looks so much like the real thing (When I mean real thing, I mean both game and real life horror shows). The points I do hate is that they actually show someone getting forced into one of the zombies. Whenever I see someone forcing those… things… into someone's mouth, I always end up gagging a bit. I also hate the slow motion times they use although it's used quite sparingly in this one. The textures are good except the fact that all the men seem to have lip-gloss or lip stick on their lips.

The English voices are pretty good and you can most of the time tell who is American and who is from the Soviet Union. Characters actually sound close to what they were in the games and I believe its because they are the same voice actors but could be wrong. The music was also rather well done and worked to the movies advantage.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]