IMDb > Meanwhile (2011/III) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Meanwhile More at IMDbPro »

A Return To The Style, He Does Best.

Author: hugosilenus from United Kingdom
14 November 2012

In 60 minutes, an hour, Hal Hartley gives his loyal fans precisely what they want.

A deceptively simple story about a man (Joseph), who has many projects on the go, but still has time to assist others, during his busy day.

I have watched it once to date, but it reminds me strongly of "Book Of Life", in attitude and style. (High praise.)

Outstanding performances, delivered deadpan, with his trademark humour.

From what I gather, it is unlikely to receive a theatrical release, any time soon. So, do as I did, and buy it direct from Hal; http://www.possiblefilms.com/2011/11/meanwhile/

"Trust" me. ;O)

A real gem

Author: rrogers-spain from Spain
13 November 2013

I found this film by accident, had it for a while and watched it today while I had a little time to myself. I was not sure what to expect, never having seen the trailer or reviews, so I guess I came to it with an open mind. I'm glad I did. This is an extremely well crafted piece of work. The low-key but brilliantly delivered acting, together with an intriguing lead character provides a delightful change from the mainstream Hollywood offerings. In a way I found myself thinking of another understated film I saw recently; Sparrows Dance. Both films are character, rather than plot- based. Both provide thoughtful and insightful engagement with the protagonists, and lead the viewer to empathise with their vicissitudes of life. At just an hour long, Meanwhile provides a challenge to other film makers; tell your story in the time it needs, not the time it takes. An excellent film - one of my favourites.

A Perfect Little Film

Author: endymion82 from San Francisco, CA
25 December 2014

I loved this film, and upon watching it, turned to my partner and said, "That just made me happier than anything I've seen all year." I've been a fan of Hartley's for years, (my favorite of his films is FLIRT) and this movie was a welcome return to form, the best aspects of his early work combined with the visually slick and fluid style of his later years. Excellent dialogue, gorgeous use of colors and camera angles, well paced and just the perfect mix of quirky humor, contemporary philosophy, and drama. Almost perfect in every way, with a truly excellent performance at the center, and as Hartley films go it is abnormally accessible to boot, though still entirely Hartley, and so perfect for fans and for folks looking for a door into the world of one of America's most talented but underrated modern film makers.

Is this meant to be a serious movie?!

Author: DeadDread from Serbia
28 October 2012

It is difficult to describe this movie, because there is really NOTHING good about it! Story is plot-less with bunch of unnecessary scenes, actors are painfully bad, and dialogues are even worse!

I like trashy movies, but this movie is unfortunately meant to be serious, so I couldn't even laugh that much, on the opposite - I was ashamed!

I watched this movie at the Viennale film festival, and wonder what the director had to do to get into program selection. Obviously it were not the beginners mistakes in directing, which are plenty!

I gave this movie 2 points only because it is not longer than one hour!