IMDb > My Future Boyfriend (2011) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

My Future Boyfriend (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Good Made-for-TV Movie

Author: dgcrow from Kelso, WA
10 April 2011

I really liked this movie. I thought Sara Rue was just fine, as usual. (I've been a fan of hers ever since "Less Than Perfect".) Barry Watson was appealing and his scenes with Rue were quite entertaining and believable. The whole production was enjoyable, light entertainment. And I had no problem with the little twist at the end. I have always enjoyed stories involving time travel if done reasonably well, and this one certainly was. In addition, it did have a few good things to say about love, relationships, and what is really important in life. Great to see Valerie Harper again, and there were a few brief but nice location shots in Savannah, Georgia. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Better than expected

Author: gee-15 from United States
21 April 2011

I didn't have very high hopes for this movie as I sat down to watch it. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself viewing a very appealing film. An anthropologist (Watson) from 1000 years in the future comes back to 2011 to investigate the idea of "love" after finding a well-preserved romance novel written by Sara Rue's character. He is perplexed and intrigued to find himself attracted to Rue who thinks he's completely nuts.

Sara Rue is, as always, a pleasure to watch and Barry Watson had a commitment to his character that really came through. I have to think it takes some skill to be both weird and charming. The two actors had nice chemistry and the screenplay, while not exactly innovative, did display some intelligence. The only criticism I have is that Valerie Harper is WOEFULLY underutilized. She looked great though and definitely held her own with her younger co-stars. All in all, a good viewing experience.

A near-perfect TV romcom

Author: HallmarkMovieBuff from United States
11 April 2011

It's hard to find anything wrong with this movie. It's a fun fantasy...joyful, endearing, and *short* (clocking into a two-hour time slot at one hour and fifty minutes, *including* commercials).

Sara Rue is delightful, as usual, and looking great, as usual. (I thought she looked great even before her weight loss.) Her presence has never failed to brighten any production in which I've seen her.

Barry Watson plays "future boyfriend" Pax ("peace" in Latin) to perfection, with just the right amount of out-of-time awe. (In his time, the 32nd century, Earth has "evolved" into a "perfect" world without anger or strife, but also without passion or love.)

Set in New Orleans, the locale enables Pax to experience its renowned jazz music, giving rise to unknown feelings and leaving him less robotic in behavior.

Fred Willard, too, whose roles too often demand an over-the-top performance, comes in with just the right level of comedic inflection.

I even laughed at the wee bit of slapstick herein, a form which usually passes by me unappreciated.

All in all, watching this is a mood-lifter and time well-spent.

A Wacky But Entertaining and Surprising Experience Underneath

Author: tabuno from utah
10 February 2012

The movie begins with a credible, time-skewing cultural tilt while it quickly presenting some overly stylized acting and perhaps an overly simplified beginning. Surprisingly Elizabth, the female protagonist, that might not be not the most appealing character, though for some she might grow on them. The main male lead, Pax, on the other hand, is presented with a bland flair which works very in the story. The basic set up is mostly standard fare and presented in the same way (though without it being terrible or awful).

Yet even with these off putting elements, there is an attractive way that "Pax" presents himself to Elizabeth and there is a strong emotive feeling that comes off the screen that actually moves with fascinating tension with irony, with loss, with hope, and even longing connectivity revealing the struggle and implicit obstacles to reach the end. Along the way, the future and past dichotomies are both intriguing and yet at time slightly over-done and irritating as "Pax" continues his script dialogue. Somehow the gender relational dialogue remains uneven, unlike the smoother flow found in Kate and Leopold (2001) another time-travel romantic comedy, or even the time displacement light black-comedy action thriller Demolition Man (1993). The use of futuristic linguistics is quite in-depth though its use may be overly intrusion when compared to Sandra Bullock's more selective and more effective use in Demolition Man, unless like anything odd or new, one gets used to it.

The drunk scenes are typical, but have a subtle, quality comedy to them, a dramatic enhancement infused into the time travel genre that has some genuine insight included with the dialogue that is simple but enlightening and wasn't actually overdone in the loopy comedic fashion. There is a tender moment of irony with the future and the present and varying cultural values, attachments in the making of reparations not usually taken with as much time travel consistency as most movies of this genre. The presentation of the script, acting remains un-full featured movie theatrical with its simplified and semi-predictable seemingly superficial scenes as definitely better presented by the serious substantive drama of 12 Monkeys (1995) or even Timecrimes (2007) of Idaho Transfer (1973). Yet this movie holds its own television charm. The use of the television dialogue when captured in this time travel genre also seems to enhance the simple, perhaps romantic love dribble and transforms the experience into a singularly more pure form of emotive and genuine feeling. Yet overall the dialogue may seem to be pervasive to the point of self-serving attempt to show off a writer's brilliance, as the balance in this movie is tricky. The naïveté and the innocence of Pax's behavior and the supposedly unintended comic consequences can be both manipulatively nauseating, or Elizabeth the apparent dim witted female can frustrating and still if taken in a prolonged and maybe authentic disbelief and world-paradigm shifting way, the movie's portrayal of the plot is some ways is true to life. One nice touch is how the usually bitchy, arrogant male character is played in the movie offering a more balanced-theme script than the more traditional romantic comedy style. As for a romantic comedy, My Future Boyfriends has elements from Enchanted (2007) and even the animated American Tail (1986) with the Oscar nominated song "Somewhere Out There." The government angle is tacky but intriguing in order to add the additional, needed extended movie length, including wacky escapes and chases. Even then, the script writer keeps a certain element of balance in the affairs of state, its emotional tenderness and its consistent credibility, character integrity without stereotyping and thus avoiding the typical negative vibes that usually occur in movies of this nature (often seen in such paradoxical scenes found in such television series Star Trek (original series).

The movie manages to hold together in a fun way. My Future Boyfriend retains its emotional intensity with its simple poignant message as found in Frequency (2000) and physically compelling or drama as say Timecop (1994) or as delightfully more subtle The Lake House (2006) in involving a relationship via letters through time. Though the ending for a somewhat more serious, darker comedic drama that would have had the ending shortened to the scene before the last would probably had a more powerful impact. The best representative relational time travel movie to this movie might be The Time Traveler's Wife (2009) or some similar to the tone of My Future Boyfriend would be Time After Time (1979) but which has the past coming into the future.

464th Review: For TV this is excellent and worth your time

Author: intelearts from the big screen
14 November 2011

This is a very appealing and nicely judged movie with a likable story, likable characters, and likable actors. It has something of that innocence that Mork and Mindy had (without too much of the zany) and all in all it is deeply romantic and charming. It reminded this reviewer of a one-off production from the BBC from Mike Leigh in 1980 called The Flipside of Dominick Hide, that even now gets 8.2 on IMDb. That too is not high production film, but rather simple and romantic, combined with strong story-telling. This won't be to everyone's taste as it emphasizes innocence but for this reviewer it has some of that elusive magic that no about of production or money can bottle.

An anthropologist from the 32nd century travels backs a thousand years to seek out the author of a romantic novel that he discovers. As love is a word unknown to his society he is intrigued. He arrives in New Orleans and the fun begins. What follows is a nice tale of discovery and romance. Of course, we get the fun of a future traveller perplexed by our world etc;

All in all this goes to show that conviction, a good plot, and good acting doesn't need a huge budget or masses of effect: a simple tale, simply told, and it is both heart-warming and charming.

Perfect Movie for Romance Scifi Lovers!

Author: Rohail Ali from Pakistan
12 November 2011

Well,It's my proud to write a Review of this perfect Movie that i just watched, Even it's my Second review here on IMDb, I was not expecting to enjoy that much when i sat to watch this movie on my weekend night, but this movie is just more than perfect! An Excellent mixture of Romance, Sci-fi, Drama, Comedy, Romance. The whole story is properly balanced, full of suspense & UN-expected morals, Specially the end of the movie is totally opposite to your guess or imagination! The only thing disappoint me is that when i was finding this movie here on IMDb i was expecting thousands of votes & reviews but they are very few, I guess not so many peoples knew about this movie when it was released there must be mismanagement in it's publicity, other wise it was a super hit master piece! Will highly recommend this movie to Romance, Drama, Comedy, Sci-fi lovers!

Cheesy

Author: valentin ispas from Constanta, Romania
30 March 2014

Yes, I know, it's cheesy, but sometimes we need that. Another love story and with future involved, maybe it seems too much. But they make it to be sold on. It's funny and cute. And sometimes we are in the mood for that, especially when the actors are not bad taste as you expect it. Michael Lange wrote it well, the lines are good and involving the future is not bad as you may think at the beginning. He keep it simple and most of the times simple is good, right? I know reason vs. love is a packed topic, but you don't think of that during the movie, you just go with the flow. Sara Rue and Barry Watson are good, the others maybe they lack more lines, but I have to remember Valerie Harper also. She is that woman archetype who's good just by being. In movie and in life.

Such a cute movie!

Author: tiapet7 from Maryville, Missouri
10 April 2012

This movie surprised for a couple of reasons. The first being that when I saw the previews I thought it was a new TV show not a movie, so after sitting and watching it about half-way through I was afraid it was a failed TV series and was a little sad for it. This was just too cute to be anything but a hit. The acting and story line were so good that they drew me into the story instead of having me criticize every aspect of the film. There was the perfect amount of romance, I was beginning to wish I was Sarah Rue's character and that hasn't happened to me in a long time! Barry Watson's portrayal of PAX was exactly as someone from another time would be. I almost felt like I was reading a book instead of watching a movie because books tend to be more into the details.

Time enough for love

Author: the_bernie (bernie4444@att.net)
17 July 2011

This made for "abc" family movie is better than most Hallmark productions. It is actually form Crawfish Productions, LLC which should give you a clue to its content.

An anthropologist Pax (Barry Watson) discovers money and a book on forbidden love in and old ship. He is intrigued to find out about this forbidden subject. So with the help of his mentor and friend Bob (Fred Willard) he goes back in time to inquire the meaning of love and other mysteries form the book's author Elizabeth Barrett (Sara Rue.)

Will he find the answers? Will Elizabeth find a few answers of her own? Will we find a few answers in the process?

A Great Movie

Author: This_Is_War000 from United States
10 April 2011

Usually movies on ABC Family are a bit too dramatic for me and I usually avoid them at all costs but I really enjoyed this movie. I'm a sucker for time-traveling movies. Not only is it a time-traveling/sci-fi movie it also has just the right amount of romance in it. Not too much and not enough, a perfect balance! As a teenage tom-boy I'm not usually much for "romantic movies" but this one just won me over completely. I don't really want to say anymore because it's such a great TV movie and I'm afraid I might say too much (it happens all the time). Anywho, if you're in the mood for a good, funny yet romantic movie I'd recommend this one most defiantly.