IMDb > Last Kind Words (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Last Kind Words More at IMDbPro »

Enjoyable tale.

Author: MrAlfa from Italy
14 June 2013

I do not understand the low rating. The film is enjoyable and valuable in several respects. The photo is very beautiful and the actors recite their part in proper way, through a history that goes smoothly until the end. Perhaps it is not a masterpiece of cinema, but it deserves more than 4 stars. It 'a nice love story, with a good pinch of mystery with a remarkable soundtrack. Come on! There are many other films out there that deserve 4 stars or less, yet exceeding the sufficiency according to the reviews here. Maybe nothing new or surprising, but certainly a nice movie, worth to be enjoyed. Just do not expect a horror movie that makes you scream and squirm, or a breathtaking thriller, although it has some interesting moments for those who does not disdain a chill: relax, put on the DVD, enjoy the tale and judge for yourself.

Very Beautiful Photography, But Never Quite Hits the Mark

Author: gavin6942 from United States
16 May 2013

Eli (Spencer Daniels) and his father move to the farm of childhood friend Waylon (Brad Dourif). Eli is seemingly all alone, at least until he meets Amanda -- who is not all that she appears to be.

The biggest complaint I have on this title is the cover art on the DVD. While the poster is beautiful, for whatever reason the cover is instead a cheap image of a woman who looks like she is being kidnapped and tortured. Yet, despite the cover, this is not a horror film or anything involving torture. It is a sort of love story.

Not that horror fans will not enjoy it -- cult favorite Brad Dourif has a sizable role, and there are a few skeletons and some blood, so they might get that sinister grin at the corners of their lips. I entered into it expecting a horror film -- and while that was not what I saw, it is still a solid film.

The photography is excellent, and the story is for the most part your standard boy meets girl tale. There are some twists, and some interesting family tension. There is drama, there is mystery... I did not care for the actress playing Amanda (her voice seemed too childish), but overall everyone had that "everyman" quality that I feel is important in crafting an empathetic story.

I cannot get into it much more without spoilers, and I refuse to spoiler this film. Despite my rather low rating, it is not a bad film and worth checking out. I just wish they had used a different cover.

Refreashingly good

Author: j-a-hartmanbaker from United States
22 July 2013

At first I thought the movie seemed silly, but it quickly proved otherwise. It is a very haunting love story. Very well done. Alexia Fast has a great handle on the accent. The progression is slow. It isn't chock full of action, but it doesn't need to be. It's a walk through the supernatural, not running from explosions and jumping through glass. It's nothing like the Blair witch clones or the paranormal activity clones. It's no slasher.

I won't go into any details, but I was pleased to see a film that was more haunting, less gore and fright. This film is actually believable, akin to many family or campfire tales of the past. It's a wonderful expression of how history can haunt a land. I'm from Kentucky, and stories like this are spot-on. It is really difficult to discuss without completely spoiling the plot. Excellent watch. I will no doubt recommend to friends and family, and certainly watch again.

A Beautifully Haunting Drama

Author: MissOceanB from Canada
28 June 2013

I find there are elements in this film which would strike a chord somewhere within with each viewer. The story, the scenery, the actors were all excellent. A few parts reminded me of Elvis & Annabelle, but aside from that, the films are very different. It is quite a daunting task to review this film without giving away too much (which is why I recommend viewing it!). Imagery and symbolism are well used which made the film that much more interesting and beautiful. Yes, there are some moments that may cause some to shudder or "jump", but they are few and far between. The film does well in exploring life and death and even modern history. There is a great melodic/ballad song that plays at times which also really made the film. Worth watching!

Atmospheric Southern Gothic

Author: timothymayer from United States
14 August 2013

First-time filmmaker Kevin Barker has managed to create an atmospheric ghost story with Last Kind Words (2012). The title, taken from an old folk song, where the "Kind" refers to something taken "in kind". It's not a bad little movie, just confusing as to the plot. You can tell Barker had all the right influences in his direction and loved the place where he was filming. However, the plot has trouble hanging together and key points are whisked out of thin air. Still, a good little film. Right now it's streaming on Netflix. There's even a dedicated Facebook page for it. The movie begins with Eli (Spencer Daniels) moving to rural Kentucky with his parents. You never know why they've decided to leave "the city" and return to the farm life, other than there's some mention of Eli's dad Bud having lost his job at a factory. They move into a mobile home on the land of Waylon (Brad Dourf), who lives in a picture-perfect big house. Eli instantly meets the mysterious red-haired Amanda (Alexia Fast) the moment he tries to take an apple from a tree. Bud, who proves to be an abusive father, scolds him for grabbing the apple, but Eli doesn't tell his father about Amanda. When Eli asks Waylon about Amanda, the older man warns him to stay away from her, claiming she's dangerous.

Much of the film consists of Eli wandering around the farm. You rarely see anything else, save the occasion trip to the store. While the land is beautifully photographed, the actor playing Eli just doesn't generate enough presence to make these scenes memorable. The actress playing Amanda, however, lights up the screen every time she steps into the frame. She has the right amount of ethereal personality to create a supernatural effect.

The other actors are all capable veterans. Brad Dourf, a character actor who sold the character of Piter De Vries in Dune, is amazing as Waylon. The man simply cannot give a bad performance. His name is in front and is the reason I watched Last Kind Words in the first place. I'd like to see more of Sarah Steele in the future; her brief appearances as Eli's city girl friend are memorable.

There's plenty of scares. All of which involve bodies hanging from a tree. The opening sequence involving a hunting tragedy is creepy and mysterious. You have to wait to the end of the movie to have it resolved. It's not the most satisfying of explanations, but works within the context of the film.

Supernatural love story, beautifully shot but a bit of a messy script

Author: The_Dead_See from Wisconsin
31 August 2013

A glance at the DVD cover and blurb of "Last Kind Words" would have anyone believing they were about to watch a sort of generic teen horror movie full of gore and jump scares but that's a long way from the truth. This is a slow-burn coming of age drama and a supernatural love story. It has a haunting, almost hypnotizing southern-Gothic sensibility that's really quite beautiful.

Eli, a 17 year old boy, finds himself moving with his abusive father and meek mother to the remote farmstead of family friend Waylon - played by the ever entertaining Brad Dourif - when the father loses his job. Eli ventures into the woods that surround the farm and meets a strange, alluring young girl called Amanda. As he begins to fall for Amanda he gradually uncovers a story of past tragic events on the farmstead and a rather sad haunting in the woods that goes all the way back to the days of the Underground Railroad.

The only real downfall of this otherwise beautiful movie is a script that's a little unsure of itself and ends up feeling a tad messy and confusing in parts. The pace might bore some - it really is a slow one - but personally I think it just added to the feels. I enjoyed it a lot and for an indie, it's a very strong piece of work.

"Last Kind Words" combines a coming-of-age tale with the thrills and chills of an old-fashioned Southern Gothic ghost story

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
11 July 2013

Image Entertainment always gives independent filmmakers an outlet to get their projects out to the masses. Many of these movies fall into the extremely competitive genre of horror and suffer from collapsing into the realm of cliché. "Last Kind Words" is one of the rare exceptions to this unfortunate trend.

17-year-old Eli (Spencer Daniels) and his family move to the Kentucky backwoods after the father (Clay Wilcox) loses his job. He decides to work on the secluded farm of a childhood friend and recluse (Brad Dourif). Upon exploring the woods near his new home, he meets a girl named Amanda (Alexia Fast) and feels an instant connection to her. His journeys also expose him to a dark secret the dead want restitution for from beyond the grave.

It's always a treat when you put in a movie expecting nothing more than a one-dimensional horror yarn but you get so much more. Looking at the cover of "Last Kind Words," you'd think it was just another typical angry ghost flick. Instead, Director / Screenwriter Kevin Barker and Storywriter Amy Riherd Miller fashioned a touching feature that takes a coming-of-age tale and gives it more depth by combining it with an old- fashioned Southern Gothic ghost story. It keeps the viewer's interest and slowly leads them to the answers to their own queries without losing any potency along the way.

The acting in independent or low-budget films can be questionable at times. That's not the case with "Last Kind Words." You can tell every actor in the movie was dedicated to the film and put their best foot forward. Brad Dourif completely embraces his role as the enigmatic hermit and landowner. Spencer Daniels commands every scene he's in. You can see the emotional depth he invested in the role in his eyes. Alexia Fast is passionate as the character of the mysterious and tragic Amanda.

I have a hard time using the term "horror movie" to describe "Last Kind Words." There's so much more to it than the usual jump scares we're used to getting these days. While the film does provide adequate thrills and chills, they're accompanied and spread throughout a grievous tale of isolationism, selfishness, loss, and the quest for closure.

A different haunting indeed...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
28 July 2013

"Last Kind Words" is a very unlikely and different movie about a haunting. And it was a nice change of scenery to have a story dealing with a haunting in this manner, instead of it being all CGI effects and attempts to scare the audience.

The story in "Last Kind Words" is about a family that moves out to work on Mr. Waylon's (played by Brad Dourif) estate. While roaming the lands, Eli (played by Spencer Daniels), come to meet the young and reclusive girl Amanda (played by Alexia Fast). As their friendship grows, Eli stumbles upon the secret that Amanda is carrying about.

The movie was really well carried by the performances put on by Alexia Fast, Brad Dourif and Spencer Daniels.

As a movie without a myriad of CGI effects and in-your-face-effects, then "Last Kind Words" managed to tell a good story with only a handful of effects and make-up.

And story-wise, then director Kevin Barker managed to put together an enjoyable and entertaining movie, as well as contributing something new to the ghost / haunting genre.

However, the movie doesn't really have enough value to support a second watching. You watch the movie once, and then never return to it. But still, it was an entertaining movie.

Much better than I expected.

Author: Ken Spiker (celr@mcn.org) from California
25 July 2013

I came on this by accident and was pleasantly surprised. I think it's a really excellent film, a "southern Gothic ghost story" for which the word 'haunting' seems just right to describe the mood it evoked in me when I saw it. I think it's the sort of film that not everybody will 'get'. It's about a young man who has to choose between life and death. It's subtle and literary with echoes of a half-remembered past. The story is poetic and unique, not at all like the usual haunted house tale, but more like a piece of folklore. It's a bit scary, but not that scary. It doesn't aim to frighten but stir something deeper in the audience. It has more to do with a meditation of life and love and death and the passage of time. This film uses music to great effect. I even had to look up some of the songs on iTunes. You might not like as much as I did, and I'm sorry about that, but it really got to me.

A much underrated film

Author: locharrow from Ireland
3 October 2014

This film deserves a much higher score than it has. It a well acted, beautifully shot film with great atmosphere and a slightly different storyline. It is not a run of the mill gorefest and if you like severed limbs with buckets of blood and a boringly predictable soundtrack then look elsewhere. The publicity picture that goes with this film is totally misleading but I can understand that as this film is quite hard to categorise, watch this film and see what you think. OK, from here onwards is just padding as it seems one needs ten lines of text to get a review published. Why is this I wonder? There is only a small cast but each actor performs flawlessly ( is that how flawlessly is spelt? ) and the location and sets are wonderful shot in the early fall I suspect as the foliage is taking on lovely autumnal hues. Jeez I am really beginning to struggle for words now, all I wanted to do was write a couple of lines in praise of this underrated film and I end up having to wear my fingers to stumps trying to get to the magical ten lines, ahh it seems we are have achieved the rquired number of words so goodbye and happy viewing.