IMDb > Donovan's Echo (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Donovan's Echo More at IMDbPro »

A retired nuclear physicist involved in the Manhattan project searches for meaning surrounding a personal tragedy that altered the direction of his life.

Author: David Carlson from Canada
2 October 2011

Outstanding performances by Danny Glover and Bruce Greenwood ground this interesting introspective investigation into déjà vu., time, and personal loss.

Well directed by Jim Cliffe, we see Glover's character Donovan slowly emerge from the fog of alcoholism, fighting to solve a mystery surrounding haunting déjà vu experiences. The viewer is drawn through this well constructed story at a very comfortable pace, with a sprinkle of humour that makes this drama extremely entertaining.

Donovan's Echo is multi-layered yet suitable for family viewing. It is bound to stimulate some interesting discussion afterwards.

Special mention must also be made of the very strong performance by Natasha Calis who plays Maggie.

With elements of an art-house film, Donovan's Echo will be remembered as THE sleeper indie success of 2011.

Impressive Canadian feature for such a low budget. Danny Glover is excellent.

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
24 September 2013

(Plot) Donovan (Danny Glover) is a man with a haunted past, who lost his wife and child in a tragic accident. He moves back into his old neighborhood with the help of his old friend. (Bruce Greenwood) He keeps getting visions that might mean something in the long run

I saw this one a few months ago. I didn't expect a whole lot, but I gladly picked it up for a rental because I love Danny Glover. It turns out I made a wise choice, because I found an underrated gem. Donovan's Echo has an eerie atmosphere throughout the film. I was fully involved in Donovan's plight, and what was going to happen to him. I give a lot of credit to the writers for making Donovan such a sympathetic character, and of course Danny Glover himself for such a fantastic performance. Danny has been one of Hollywood's most underrated actors for some time if you ask me. The mystery is also very well developed. I was fully engrossed in it, and was eagerly anticipating for what was to come next. I also dug some of the characters Donovan encounters along the way. Maggie (Natasha Calis) was absolutely adorable as the curious child, which Donovan ends up befriending. Their chemistry was great. The only carp I have with this movie is this. I felt the finale could have been done a bit better.

Final Thoughts: This is quite a suspenseful gem for a low budget Canadian feature. You don't have to be Canadian like I am to enjoy this movie. If you can find it, please seek it out. You might be pleasantly surprised like I was

Mad or Clairvoyant

Author: jrschulz-1 from Canada
23 September 2011

This film made its world premiere today as the Opening Gala presentation at the Calgary International Film Festival. Starring Danny Glover as Donovan Matheson, a dyslexic nuclear physicist who gave up his career upon the death of his family thirty years prior, and Canadian Bruce Greenwood as an RCMP Staff Sergeant and friend of Donovan's it is essentially a character study into deja vu as Donovan flashes in and out the present and past.

It draw parallels between the tragic death of his wife and daughter and current catastrophes that are too closely similar for comfort, almost as if Donovan was predicting them. Everyone Donovan interacts with throughout the entire film appears to have a connection, what we never quite know until the last five minutes, to the loss of his family.

This suspense film never reveals even a hint of the possibilities of its conclusion until the last ten minutes. The viewer is left with many unanswered questions but with enough closure to be comfortable with the outcome. A good production worth viewing but I would not call it a great production. The problem being it was disjointed for too long a period at the beginning even though it picks up rapidly mid film. Regardless, this atypical role for Glover should bring him honourable mention as he held the viewers' attention throughout and essentially was the only true star of the film, all others being supporting only. This was a great performance by Glover.

On the edge of my seat until the end

Author: mkooistra from Canada
24 October 2011

This movie definitely has something for everyone; a brilliant story containing lots of very fascinating "what-if" scenarios, built around some unique and complex concepts. The main character's struggle with his personal demons keeps you sympathizing with his desire to right his perceived wrongs from his past.

While the character portrayals by the two veteran actors (Danny Glover and Bruce Greenwood) were as exceptional as you would expect, it is the sharp-witted character of Maggie (Natasha Calis) who instantly captured my heart.

Wonderfully written and beautifully shot, the twists and turns within the movie keep you on the edge of your seat until the end.

masterpiece

Author: sherif ahmed from Egypt
13 October 2012

Donovan's Echo (2011) is one of those movies that will have you sitting in the theater after the lights come up so you can talk to everyone else about what they thought of the movie.

The story kept me at the edge of my seat It was original.

After few thousand movies i saw just wonder why this movie has rating 5.5/10 This is really good film . deserve at least 6/10 probably due to its mediocre production budget.

(Danny Glover is a legend)

It was a little fun piecing the story together.

This is a smart movie for smart people who like smart movies.

Donovan's Echo (2011) is Underrated beauty

I would suggest everyone who likes movies to watch it you will not be disappointed.

Fairly Intriguing Indie

Author: Larry Silverstein from United States
27 February 2014

I had never heard of this movie before, but when I saw it in redbox with the screen notables Danny Glover and Bruce Greenwood, I decided to give it a try.I wasn't expecting it to be a great film, which it wasn't, but I found it rather intriguing as it kept my interest throughout.

Set in 1994, Danny Glover stars as Donovan Matheson, who's returning to his family home after a 30 year absence, Thirty years ago, he had lost his wife and young daughter in a tragic auto accident, when an underage driver, who had stolen a truck, crossed the median and instantly killed his family. Donovan is still racked with guilt, as instead of joining them that day on an outing to celebrate his birthday, he chose to stay home and work on his low energy (cold fusion) theory. Having worked on the Manhattan Project (A-Bomb), at Los Alamos during WW2, the cold fusion theory was his way of trying to make amends to the world he thought.

Bruce Greenwood co-stars as Sargeant Finnley Boyd, the local police officer and, I believe, Donovan's brother-in-law (although this is not made totally clear in the film). He has kept Donovan's home rented at times and maintained it while he was gone.

When an 11 year-old girl named Maggie (the same name as Donovan's daughter), ably portrayed by Natasha Calis, comes to his home asking if he wants any help with the lawn, Donovan senses a connection to the girl, and even tells Finn that he believes he's there to somehow save her.

Donovan finds an old journal from 30 years before where he made entries about predictions and premonitions that he had at the time that never happened. However, he slowly begins to realize, since he's always had trouble interposing 6's and 9's that these premonitions may in fact be coming true now. When he tries to alert Finn to this, Finn thinks he's becoming more and more mentally unbalanced, with not resolving his grief issues over the loss of his family. However, when he sees for himself what's happening, he has to re-assess this.

OK, so when we actually get the payoff here, it's rather ridiculous and far-fetched, in my opinion, but, as noted, there was enough intrigue throughout that I was quite interested in how the pieces of the puzzle would all come together. I wasn't expecting much, and felt overall it certainly was worth the $1.27 I paid to see it.

Somewhat Disjointed

Author: (bob-rutzel-1) from United States
30 May 2013

Donovan (Danny Glover) returns to his home after 30-years of roaming (which was never really explained) due to the deaths of his wife and child in a vehicle accident. He was a nuclear physicist and blames himself for paying more attention to his work rather than his family. He was also a member of the Manhattan Project back in the day and later became obsessed with Cold Fusion. Now that he is back he has visions of the future that correspond to the date he lost his family.

Remember the saying or slogan "we are all connected" from other movies: CRASH and CLOUD ATLAS? Apparently the message didn't get through as we have this movie to drill it into us again.

Donovan sees visions of what will happen in the future and Finn (Bruce Greenwood) the local Canadian policeman and Donovan's best friend doesn't believe him; and Finn thinks Donovan is becoming dangerous. Donovan believes there is a reason he came back - at this time - and he sees things and attaches the visions to the date of the death of his wife and child. We decide Donovan is not mental (hey, that would be another story) but he cannot seem to get thru to Finn, Maggie (the 11-year old who has the same name of his daughter who died in that accident), or to Maggie's mother Sarah (Sonja Bennett). We have dialogues in our heads that would help but our dialogues are never used. Bummer.

We try to connect the dots with Donovan. However, the way these dots are presented make it difficult to follow any logic and it is here the script confuses us. Sad to say much of this story is disjointed and we are on the verge of looking for the remote to end this because we find ourselves no longer caring.

I don't believe the connection message got thru this time. In the other movies mentioned above the connections are universal; but here the connections seemed to be relegated to Donovan and the immediate cast only. The drilling was not successful in my opinion. (4/10)

Violence: Yes. Sex: No. Nudity: No. Language: No.