IMDb > I Don't Know How She Does It (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Dire

Author: prylands from London
25 September 2011

This drivel masquerades as a comedy but offers little more than a misplaced feminist rant. I am sure they expected women to say 'oh it's so true - we DO make lists and we Do multitask!' but please - who exactly was this aimed at - zombie life forms? Maybe they think that women are so tired that they wouldn't notice how cliché-ridden and pathetically hackneyed this offering is? It was not amusing. It was not interesting. It was not original. It did not have a single redeeming quality and I suggest you do not waste your time nor your money on this rubbish.

Indeed I shall waste no more time reviewing it.

I don't know how you could like it...

Author: kevin-corcoran-130-494057 from Ireland
22 October 2011

This movie was so bad it gave me heart burn. The only reason i gave this film one was because it ended, as i honestly thought that i was entering one of the many levels hell where i would be destined to spend eternity listening to a bunch middle aged hens moan about life.

Sadly IMDb is telling me i have to write ten lines of text to describe this film. Which is more than the story of this film consisted of to begin with. I am honestly astounded that this "film" was actually made. People had to work and make this.. there was huge amounts of money involved.. deadlines, effort and hundreds of people working that ultimately ended in this.. nothing more than a waste of space, internet and time...

Now that i have reached the minimum ten lines for a review i will stop writing and scour the memory of this film from my mind.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!

I don't care how she does it

Author: dierregi from Belgium
6 November 2011

The paper-thin plot of this movie revolves around working mother Kate, juggling her way through life. It sounds dull and more appropriate for a sit-com – and definitely would be. I read that the script is based on a novel, which I am determined to ignore, especially after having seen the movie.

Kate is played by SJP, an actress who could easily be described as the female Tom Hanks – albeit slightly less talented. Her likability is enormous, but unfortunately her choice of roles very limited; in her repertoire there are only comedies, most of them remarkable failures at the box office. Her sidekicks in this movie are Greg Kinnear and Pierce Brosnan, two good actors with a wider range, who play respectively her husband and a business associate. One wishes there was more of them on screen. Unfortunately we get plenty of SJP and of her friend played by Christina Hendricks. It could have been any other actress playing second fiddle to SJP, as poor Christina is used only to enunciate a string of questionable statements.

For a comedy there are very few laughers. Actually, none at all from me. The punch lines sounded tired and unfunny and the "real life" situations abused and stale: what about an envious colleague who would like to steal your glory? Or a supportive best friend with a lousy love life? Not to mention the neglected husband. All seen in a million other comedies, most of them better than this one.

The problem with this, and an increasingly larger number of movies, is that they are targeted to a very restricted public. This one is targeted strictly to 1) working mothers with young children, and 2) die-hard fans of SJP. I doubt anybody else will find it even mildly amusing, as it does not work at all as a comedy. Indeed, in the cinema where I saw it, even if the audience was mostly female, only a woman in her mid-thirties laughed out loud.

What was the point of this movie?

Author: neenahhh from Philippines
29 November 2011

Kate Reddy lives a busy life. She is a high-rising finance executive and a mother of two young children. She is often away from home, causing family strains and whatnot. What happens when Kate suddenly gets a big assignment, that requires her to stay away from home for more than two months?

To be honest, I was at a struggle to write a summary for this movie. I couldn't think. Words couldn't come to me. This movie didn't do anything for me. The movie played for 80+ minutes, but there was no real progression in its story line. Nothing happened.. Really. After the movie ended, I wondered what exactly was it that the directors wanted to show to its audience.

I don't recommend watching this movie, unless you're looking for a time waster.. If that's the case, go ahead and rent this movie.

Viewed on: November 29, 2011

Worst Movie EVER

Author: ann amith from United States
19 September 2011

Let me start by saying I LOVE SJP in SATC. She has flopped in most of her major motion pictures, but this is by far, one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. Thank goodness my friend had free passes for us, because I can not imagine wasting any amount of money on this garbage. The plot, acting, and entire movie was horrible. It was honestly painful to sit through and I would not recommend this movie to anyone. I love watching movies, and I have seen some bad ones in my time, but this one honestly takes the cake! I do not understand why she continues to be casted in anything because she should have ended her career on a high note with SATC because I don't think she will ever redeem herself as a quality actress.

89 minutes of my life I want back!

Author: Alan Curley from Ireland
25 October 2011

I started watching this film with my wife as we looked to spend some quality time. It was OK at first, as you try to edge into the story. When you hear Kate's friend telling you how great Kate is and that it's so much harder for her being a woman in corporate America, it's a sign to switch off. They introduced the concept of the supermoms and how they are the enemy with everything so perfect but disappointingly never really developed it. She makes a list of things to do in her head but it doesn't go anywhere or really contribute to the film. It goes on and on about how she is holding this together being so hard for women in corporate America (I mention this again, it really is all this film is about) at which time, i found excuses to get up and go to the toilet, get up and get some popcorn, just to leave. Normally when I have to leave a film, I am all questions when I get back, "What did I miss?", "Did she tell him yet?", "Who's that guy?" (Typical man), but with this one I just didn't care. It's not a Rom Com as there's little romance and it ain't funny so i don't know what you would call it. At this time I thought this might be me but my wife also fell asleep watching it so yes, it really isn't me.

So, hardship for a woman in corporate America... What is to be gleaned from a movie like this? Do they tell you how to cope? Stay awake until 3 every morning making imaginary lists in your head for things to do... that's it, nothing more exciting. Do they expand on how hard it is for a woman? No, If you ask me, the character played by Greg Kinnear had just as hard a time and nothing really expanded. Is it romantic? An unrealistic, cheesy, made for TV, approach made by her coworker/superior/I don't know where he falls into this/Pierce Brosnan, and that's it. Lots of traveling? Welcome to corporate America!

So in short, nothing to take home but 89minutes of your life you'll never get back... Almost as depressing a thought as the film

This movie tries to act funny, rather than just be funny.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
19 September 2011

Kate(Sarah Jessica Parker), is happily married to her husband(Greg Kinnear), and has two great kids. And she also has a great job. But then her job increases to more hours, better pay, but less hours at home. How will Kate manage this all in one.

Sarah Jessica Parker is incredibly annoying, she just mugs for the camera,a good part of the film, I'll just say she was more amusing in Sex and the City. Greg Kinnear is so bland in his role, not that he was bad, he was just there. Pierce Brosnan is a scene stealer has Parkers partner in the film, he just is more charismatic than anybody else in the film. And Olivia Munn has Parkers assistant, is way funnier than Parker, cause she doesn't act like she ate a lot of sugar to get into her role, like the way Sarah Jessica Parker does.

461th Review: Decent enough script but miscast, the result is meh...

Author: intelearts from the big screen
21 October 2011

Honestly, we kind of enjoyed this but by the end we were both agreed that this was good for TV but not really up to film standards - our conclusion was that SJP just doesn't have the presence to pull this off - she's a good ensemble actress, but on her own, as a star, carrying a film? We just couldn't make that leap.

The script has some nice wry observations on marriage, career, and parenting but all-in-all this needs more wit and spark, more oomph. Most of the comedy came from the idea of sexual tension between SJP and Brosnan, and that's just cheap laughs.

This film is aimed firmly at women over 30 who either have to, want to, or who wish they didn't have to juggle children, career, and life. It is wryly amusing and observant occasionally, but there should be lots and lots more of that, the paucity of observation and the safe boundaries means it fails to create anything other than a very safe film that is mostly trite.

While it is admirable for having good strong female characterizations it fails really to go anywhere with it, and above all, SJP just does little to convince us that she's a star vehicle.

All in all, OK with a glass of chardonnay, pretty difficult without....

Fictitious scenarios

Author: HateCoworker from Vancouver
13 March 2012

A mother running a family and keeping a job, how groundbreaking. What's interesting is that Hollywood writers seem to think that working mothers really give a **** about competing with a bunch of Chanel wearing housewives at a stupid school bake sale. I always tell my husband if our child is so easily traumatized she's just not going to make it. Other than the fact that at work you get to meet good looking men who offer you a kind of escape from your daily headaches at home, this movie really isn't all that accurate. It's what I always thought a working mother's life would be...when I was 20 and in business school. Clearly Hollywood never graduated.

I could not finish this movie

Author: ThanksForMutton from United States
15 January 2012

Being a working mom and constantly evaluating my own choices, I thought this movie would speak to me. It was referred to me by another working mom. Though there was some truth to this movie, overall it was really unwatchable! It was way too clichéd and heavy handed. Sarah Jessica Parker needs a fork stuck in her - she's done. I enjoyed her as Carrie Bradshaw; her continuing to be Carrie in every movie is tedious. The script was so bad, however, that I doubt any lead actress could have salvaged this mess.

Had the movie been WAY less condescending, it might have made some great commentary. The supporting players are not bad. But the mother in law and token judgmental stay at home mom are just way too over the top to be effective. Also, the amount of work Parker's character juggles is unrealistic. I also found the notion that the working dad contributes nearly nothing to the home absurd. How offensive! This movie could have been interesting; instead, it sucks.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]