IMDb > Sabotage (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sabotage

Sabotage More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

If you want mindless action, don't see it.

Author: clintsheley from Hashbeast
26 June 2014

First off i've always been a huge Arnold fan. I believe his (not so much his early) acting is more realistic compared to how most actors always over-act everything they do. Some say this movie has no action and too much story and some say it has no story and too much action. Don't listen to the critics, they were just sad they didn't get enough explosions or that there was too little narrative with too much story. A movie is supposed to be a story. Just because everyone's lines don't constantly and literally explain everything that is going on in the movie does NOT mean that the story wasn't there. It was actually supposed to be a mystery/thriller, but got edited into an action. First of all don't expect anything from a movie. Take it for what it is. Sabotage is a pretty deep movie and very adult. People say it was ridiculous with the blood and gore. I thought the gore was more realistic than most movies. People don't just mist and then pool on the ground, people actually make a very big mess when they are ripped open. If you want Expendables, then watch Expendables (Which i love). If you want a movie with great actors (except Howard) and a real story that isn't saturated with the "typical" Hollywood crap, you should give Sabotage a fair watch.

Entertaining, brutal action-thriller

Author: Finfrosk86 from Norway
6 June 2015

Why did this flop, and why is it rated to low!? I don't quite get that. No, it is not the only movie you ever need to see, but it is pretty darn entertaining, I'll tell ya.

Yeah, it totally overdoes the we-are-such-a-tight-group-of-bros-(and-a- sis)-and-we-joke-in-a-rough-way, but it doesn't really get too annoying. Arnold is good, this is not his usual role, and that's pretty neat. Olivia Williams is also pretty good.

Now, the action. This has some intense action sequences, and it is bru-tal! I mean, this is an R-rating if I ever saw one! Blood is flowing. I saw a you-tube review of this, he though it was to violent, it's not. I like me a really brutal movie now and then!

It has a couple twists and turns, action is good, acting is decent, (I dare you to recognize Sam Worthington!) it is, *drumroll* entertaining!

People saying this is a bad movie, well, they obviously haven't seen The legend of Hercules. Sabotage is one of several Arnold comeback-movies, and it is definitely a good one.

As I've said, it isn't a classic, it tries to be a little better than it really is, but it does not make it that bad at all.

This is NOT a one-star movie

Author: rey_tutiver
29 November 2014

I've never posted on IMDb before. But after seeing all the ratings of one star, I feel that I had to speak up. If you're looking for an intense police drama/action flick, then this is a great one. If you're not a fan of Arnie, then you might want to skip it, as he (obviously) dominates screen time.

It's not an "Arnie Vehicle" as the entire cast matters; and Ayer's direction is ballsy - but it works. The violence is nothing more than you'd catch on AMC or HBO.

I don't understand the hate this film gets.

Give it a try if you like gritty cop dramas.

Story lacks but give it a shot!

Author: JohnnyRoyce
27 November 2014

If you are a David Ayer fan (Training Day, Harsh Times, Street Kings) then you will not be disappointed. Also, if you love guns and a bit of street violence, then this is for you.

Amazing cast (though they could have been used a bit better, story lacks). as a Veteran, the team look very accurate in my eyes. The way everyone in the team carries themselves reminds me of my days in the Army.

Yes it has harsh language, yes it has meat-head/testosterone/dumb humor and yes there are some VERY graphic scenes, but it is rated R. There is great firearm action for you gun guys out there.

I've been an Arnie fan growing up and honestly his role in this movie is great, and he's still able to pull off a "leader" role. Give Sabotage a shot, I'm disappointed at all the negative reviews for such a great cast, but I understand where most reviews users come from: The weakened story.

I'm very glad I watched this

Author: jedi-1 from Cleveland
26 November 2014

I'm a huge fan of Arnold but the reviews prepared me for very bad. Once again I have found the you cannot believe what you read. This was WAY better than I was led to believe. I really liked the Last Stand and in some ways liked this even more. Yeah, lots of blood and guts but that doesn't phase me if it adds to the story. There was never one minute where I wasn't enthralled with what was going on. I started out giving this about a 5 because of preconceived notions but as it went on kept racketing up that rating. I gave it an 8 but really liked it better than that. I've only seen two of Arnold's movies since he came back and plan on seeing all of them. I read his book and just love this guy. What I really really like in these two movies is that he for once seems real! I love how he looks old, how he has those short shots with no dialog where he just has that look of WTF. This was a really good movie. Keep them coming for as long as you can!

Better result thanks to good character actors

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia
22 July 2014

Aging and post-politics Schwarzenegger has returned to his roots, to movies where betrayal and chases play significant role; proper action in the last century style, when man overrules technology and teamwork is equally important. Luckily, unlike Richard Gere and some others, Schwarzenegger has never focused on womanizing, thus he does seem ridiculous in his movies in spite of his 60+ age. And it is also important that he is not afraid of making fun of himself, but his fame and name allow to attract good character actors, here, for example, Sam Worthington, Olivia Williams, Terrence Howard, whose performances provide additional value to the not-so-special script. True, the latter had several twists and unexpected moments, good-guys-die-too, etc, and viewers can ponder on and over what really happened during the events depicted in the beginning. Car chases are also catchy, the thrill is up there, perhaps the plot could have been more assembled and so the movie some 10 minutes shorter.

Well, it is no True Lies or Terminator 2, being still the best movies with Arnie's participation - and I am afraid they won't be beaten - but if you do not hate him, then Sabotage is an okay watch.

Why?

Author: nicholls_les from United Kingdom
19 April 2016

It is going to be hard to find enough words to get this review published because this is one of those rare occasions that I turned off a film not long into it. The reason is that almost every other word was an F word. Why?

It seems to me that people use foul language in movies far more than they do in real life.

Sadly the younger generation now use foul language far more than anyone did when I was growing up. It seems a case of life following movies. Foul language is unnecessary and adds nothing to the story. I just think that it is lazy script writing and they think people like it.

There have been many good action movies that do not think it necessary to have several swear words in every sentence so why do they do it?

Anyway I am sure some people don't mind movies littered with foul language, I do and could not watch more than 20 minutes of this film.

Author: Bryan Kluger from Dallas, TX
17 August 2015

Arnold Schwarzenegger has been on quite a role since his political career in California. He has come back in full force to the movie world and has given us three films, including this one, with five more projects on the way. Needless to say, he has been busy. The first two films, since his time in the Governor's chair in California were 'The Last Stand' and 'Escape Plan', both of which were PG-13 action vehicles for Schwarzenegger that had a silly and highly entertaining premise, even though the plots of both films were ridiculous. But in both of those movies, we received Arnold's famous one-liners and his angry glare as he looks down upon his enemies with a giant machine gun in his hand, ever so ready to add to his impressive body count.

Writer/director David Ayer, who is known for directing the recent 'End of Watch' and writing 'U-571' and 'Training Day' amongst others is here to tell us that he has gloriously brought back Schwarzenegger to true form in 'Sabotage'. If you've been waiting to see Arnold back in an ultra violent movie with enough blood and gore to compete with an 'Evil Dead' film, then you are in luck. But be cautioned, for as the credits roll, your brain will try to make sense of what you just saw on screen and how it all tied in. If you try to do this for more than 30 seconds, you might have a breakdown, as you'll realize the plot is such a failure and the screenplay is completely laughable, that nothing seems to make sense on screen. At least Schwarzenegger got to smoke a cigar the size of a cucumber through the whole movie, so there's that.

The film opens up with Schwarzenegger watching a video of a woman being sadistically tortured as he seems to be related to the woman on screen (it's his wife). We cut to an undetermined time later where John 'Breacher' Wharton (Schwarzenegger) leads an elite undercover DEA team to take out the most dangerous drug cartels. The team consists idiotic nicknames of 'Grinder' (Joe Manganiello), 'Monster' (Sam Worthington), 'Sugar' (Terrence Howard), 'Neck' (Josh Holloway), 'Pyro' (Max Martini), Tripod (Kevin Vance), and Lizzy (Mireille Enos) , who for some reason doesn't get a nickname, but is one hell of a drug addict.

This team takes down a drug cartel and comes across a bunch of money in their basement. The team take ten million off the top of the stash to keep for themselves, which is a recurring theme in 'Training Day'. But when the day is over, the ten million dollars goes missing, leading Internal Affairs to grill each member of this undercover squad for several months. Once things settle down, Breacher tracks down his team again who seem to have be cracking dick and fart jokes and playing video games for the last six months, rather than training to take on another cartel.

However, each one of the team members are killed off in very gruesome ways, which has the remaining team members along with police detective Caroline Brentwood (Olivia Williams, whose character goes nowhere) looking for a certain cartel that might be responsible for this. But through this lazy and clunky screenplay and story telling, we can tell that one of the team members might be committing these horrendous murders against their own as they start to turn on each other.

With cheesy lines of dialogue throughout, gratuitous nudity, and a confusing and horrible story structure, this bloodbath of a film might leave you unsatisfied, despite the above mentioned traits. Schwarzenegger seems to be at home here as a leader of a group of macho people, but it never goes from that one note trait. The rest could be played by anyone, anywhere, at anytime, and are mostly indistinguishable characters. Are these guys heroes or villains? Well maybe that's for you to decide, but whatever you come up with, we can all agree that 'Sabotage' is still a killer Beastie Boy song and not a great movie. And no, they did not play the song in the film, which feels like a missed opportunity, like the entire movie was.

Good, Gritty, No Apologies

Author: Mark Maharaj
28 January 2015

THis move, Sabotage (2014), was fantastic.

It has grit and does not apologize for it.

It's violent, and does not apologize for it.

It's "hero," has an edge with a purpose and does not apologize for it, Women are killed, no apologize for it.

By standards are killed,....

This movie is a true gritty movie, where lines of right wrong, and good and bad are blurred. People are sacrificed, and friend betrays friend in a very realistic, gritty, NON-STYLIZED manner. If you like Dredd (2012) and the grit, you should love this.

Arnold's best movie since the 90's maybe and A REAL GUYS MOVIE! Arnold is DEA and leader of a group of specialists, and one by one people are killed off. Friend and foe die, and new allies are formed or are they? Is Arnold a good man or a bad man...must watch to find out.

It is violent and NEVER has to apologize for it. It's a modern day action movie.

Must see....10 out of 10!!!!

Better acting than normal for this type of film

Author: aocch3 from United States
11 August 2014

I've read lots of harsh criticism for this film in many reviews. I'm not sure what these guys were expecting when they sat down to watch an Arnold action film. This movie delivered what most people would expect from such a film. The acting was generally better than I've seen in many of this type. The plot was solid with a little "who done it" going on and a slight twist at the end. Overall I recommend this film to people that like action flicks. So for my overall rating of 8/10, understand this is 8/10 for an action type film. Not trying to compare this to all movies ever made. I don't even remember a catch phrase they were going for in this movie like they do in many of them. And not really any corny lines. I felt all the dialogue was realistic and helped the film.