IMDb > "Suburgatory" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Suburgatory"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Suburgatory" More at IMDbPro »

Funny and clever, with just enough heart

Author: cfduffy16 from United States
14 December 2011

This show is well-written and really funny. It's silly and campy but also has just enough heart. The lead, Jane Levy, a relative unknown is totally natural and absolutely charming. Jeremy Sisto, an unlikely casting choice for a comedy, grounds the show and is realistic as the "cool city dad." But for me, Cheryl Hines is the one to watch. She hits it out of the ballpark as Dallas Royce.

I love the heightened reality and the way the show pokes fun at the suburbs while also envying those who live there. The stories explore the differences between people raised in different ways but also shows, no matter where you grow up, there are certain universal truths that connect us.

The supporting cast is terrific. I've always loved Alan Tudyk and Carly Chaiken is scene- stealingly hilarious as Dalia. I laugh at these characters while also caring about them which to me is the sign of a really great show.

Why all the hate?

Author: malloryefron from United States
25 November 2011

This show is amazing! It's got all the things you look for in a comedy like funny situations, laugh out loud lines, and moments that make you crack up a smile. I don't get all the negative reviews here because this show isn't terrible. The actors play their parts really well, the best person that plays her part well is Lisa Shay played by Allie Grant. Allie Grant plays Lisa so well as the teenager with the weird awkward family and how she try's to survive them. This is also a really good family show to watch with your kids, but be careful because some of the things they do in this show are not for kids between the age of 5-9. I fell in love with this show since the pilot.

I love how the show puts all the mom's as dumb blondes and trying to act cool for their kids because I do suppose some mom's do that in reailty. The men are so stupid in this show, but their also hilarious. The men in the show don't get the women code so they just get them handbags, clothes, shoes, and lets not forget money. The women in this show are so crazy. They take control over their daughters and sons and try to make them do things they hate like wearing outfits to school that will make them get teased. The main reason I watch this show is because of the main character Tesa Altman played by Jane Levy. Teasa Altman hates her life because she to move her fabulous life in New York City and to move to the stinky life in the suburbs. Tesa had to move here because her father George Altman played by Jeremy Sisto found condoms in her drawers and decided to move to the best place to raise kids which is the suburbs.

The popular girls at Tesa's school are so dumb that you might think that blonde is the true dumb color. They play their parts well, that you might think they act like that in reality. This is so far the best new comdey of the fall besides New Girl. The script is also decent, it's not the best but it goes along with the plot. I love how this show makes fun of the suburbs by showing women always watering their lawn and planting their beautiful flowers, it makes me crack up every time they show it. So far this show is amazing, the Thanksgiving epiosde was laugh out loud and I hope they countine the amazing story lines because Suburgatory has done an awesome job making me laugh and hopefully it's making other people laugh. Watch this show!

Tessa: The New Jesus of Suburbia

Author: songbirdn from United States
16 June 2012

This show may not be perfect, but it is funny. Also, it's very relatable, especially to a kid growing up in an obnoxiously fake suburb like the one on the show.

The actors are funny, sweet, quirky, and bring good-natured comedy to the screen. Tessa, Dalia, and Dallas are my favorites on the show. Tessa is witty and clever, a jaded foil to the naive and plastic Dalia and over-the-top yet lovable Dallas.

Also, the script is, for the most part, well written and the situations that Tessa finds herself in are hilarious.

As every sitcom, it's not perfect, and not all the jokes are funny, but for the most part, I am enjoying it and I'm looking forward to next season.

Two Thumbs up

Author: msveloso from Westcoast BC Canada
4 December 2011

I enjoy this show. It has a lot of interesting characters. It's a bit of Desperate Housewives meets Mean Girls.

I can relate to this as I am a city gal myself who moved to the burbs with my single dad in high school. Just him and I. So I get this situation completely. I think its refreshing to do a comedy about it.

Jeremy Sisto is wonderful. (as always!) The young lady that plays his daughter is a great little actress as well. The "fake mom" becomes a lovable character and has more heart than you expect. The dentist friend is hilarious....

The only negative thing i can say about this show is that the daughter is so mature for her age that if you do not watch this regularly you might think they are husband and wife. I did not notice this as much as my husband did. When I reminisce about my own situation I do recall that in high school people who did not know me would assume that my dad, who was a handsome man as well, was my boyfriend. I know, yuck. He would drop me off at high school in the burbs in his nice car and some mean girls would tease, don't you think he's a bit old for you and my standard come back was, ya, he's old enough to be my dad. This would make their mouths drop and I had to have fun with that.

Eventually they would find out the truth and when they did it actually made me quite popular. The rumour mill in the burbs.

Good but ironic

Author: thor2062 from United States
25 July 2012

I like this show -- it's entertaining, interesting, sometimes funny. The premise relates to this hip urban girl who comes to an upper-class suburban area and thinks she's too cool for it all and notices all its flaws. To be sure, she certainly has a point about them being over-privileged and out of touch with the surrounding world's harsher realities, to mention a couple.

Here's what took me longer to notice: the girl herself isn't much better than they are. She's a little smarter, a little more insightful, but she has a lot of the same flaws they do. She acts like the smallest inconveniences are the weight of the world on her -- e.g., a girl pays her a hundred bucks to drive her around the block a few times and she she moans, "I hate my job". She's sort of disrespectful to her father, who she calls George,and lives a lifestyle only slightly less entitled than those around her. In short, we're supposed to side with her against the rich snobs and not notice that she's a lot like they are. Sure, that community thinks they're better than others, but she thinks she's better than they are, so how's that any better? Despite this, I like the show.

Suburgatory: Where Quirk is Cool

Author: atlasmb from United States
27 March 2014

"Suburgatory" is quirky. If you can't get past that statement, then you might not like the show.

But if you can, check it out, because "Suburgatory" is an excellent show featuring lots of talent.

The central theme--as you can tell from the title--is a critical view of suburbia. In the land where consumerism is the primary goal and people are themselves consumed by appearances there lives a high-schooler named Tessa (Jane Levy) who moved from New York to the land of weedless lawns and designer labels with her single father George (Jeremy Sisto). This is no "Who's The Boss". In "Suburgatory" Tessa and George are a complete family in themselves.

Although suburbia is a target of the humor, the show lovingly lampoons all aspects of society, including the central characters, who enter into some questionable relationships. They are far from perfect and the writers allow us to laugh at them and with them.

The rest of the cast is AMAZING. Three or four of them you will probably recognize, but they all rock. Comedy never had a larger cast of funny people.

As for the quirk factor, "The New Girl" wishes it could be "Suburgatory". It is quirky, but it may be too far out there, often substituting silly for insightful. "Glee" revels in the quirkiness of its characters and their actions, but it often feels like it is doing quirk just for its own sake. I only hope that "Suburgatory" keeps its edge. The best episodes have something to say and remind us of the things that are truly valuable, e.g. caring and self-realization.

It is a Comedy and this one is actually Funny

Author: sean0888 from United States
13 January 2013

Having seen the pilot I purchased the Season 1 DVD and have seen most of the episodes. It is great seeing 5 or 6 episodes of short shows like this one in succession without advertisements and the like breaking it all up.

Heck some people over analyse things though. It's just a little TV show.

This is a simple basic comedy with some extreme characters some of which are funny and some not so, some endearing and others much less so. In fact a few of the characters (very few fortunately) are just ridiculous but this is Hollywood fiction so they create the extreme at times.

The writers set out to send up Americans and some aspects of its culture and they obviously had a lot of fun doing so. Why they went too far over the top at times I do not know because the show would work better without some of the occasional stupidity that has been allowed to creep in now and then. Obviously some episodes are better and funnier than others.

Overall this is a cute, second tier, light hearted comedy show which will really make you laugh. After all that is what a comedy is for.(It is not quite up in the same league as some of the very high rated Chuck Lorre comedies though). For the most part it is quite well acted and the 3 principal characters are quite endearing.

If you don't like a good laugh then you probably won't like it that much. Some of it is hilarious but I am sure some of the slick lines they have dropped in there will go right over the heads of some.

As far as ratings go, some of the episodes I have seen from Season 1 are so funny I would give them a 9 or 10 rating.

Give this show a go because when you get into it, for the most part, you will enjoy it. There is nothing like having a good laugh is there?

A familiar TV universe viewed from a slightly off-kilter angle

Author: WaxBellaAmours from The Great Northwest
16 April 2012

The well-off American suburbs have been the settings for countless American sitcoms, and it indeed seems highly unlikely that anything new can be gleaned from another show about uptight, over-concerned parents and their bored, over-privileged and frustrated offspring. "Suburgatory" however, manages to look at a well-worn setting and familiar situations with a modestly surprising and slightly warped view of suburban life.

While it has that hip quirkiness and cool, detached irony that's prevalent in many sitcoms these days, there's also a darker and even slightly somber edge to it's point-of-view that makes it, at least most of the time, stand out from it's many peers. Instead of starting out in gilded suburban hell, it starts out in downtown Manhattan, where George Altman (an unusually gentle Jeremy Sisto) "accidently" comes across a box of condoms in his daughter Tessa(Jane Levy, with a wide-eyed deadpan style that recalls a more demure Emma Stone)'s room, for which he decides that the city isn't the proper enviorment for her and moves her to the considerably less stimulating suburb of Chatswin. Tessa is understandably not thrilled by the idea.

So this time around, Suburban life is viewed from the mind of an outsider, instead of a lifelong setting for a bored and impetuous teen, where it's not part of her identity and it's pointedly mundane lifestyle looks plenty weird and just a bit formidable to her instead.

In turn this show is not so much a slice-of-life but instead a bit larger-than-life, where an Alice figure is entering a certain Wonderland that isn't particularly thrilling but where everything seems more than a bit off-kilter compared to what she's been used to, especially the overly-conformist citizens and where every possible chink in the town's armor just seems to be non-existent to all the status-obsessed adults who influence Chatswin just a bit too much.

While the show has had some early growing pains, it has way more potential, even though it's not certain it will ever get the chance to grow and improve. It's got an unusually level-headed and warm view of a modern single-father/daughter relationship, even if Jeremy Sisto does sometimes seem more like a big brother to Jane Levy than her parent. And yes, often the dialog that is spoken doesn't seem like something any real person would utter in normal settings, but "Suburgatory" isn't going for naturalism. It's going for satire, a black comedy that attempts to make all the banal situations we've come to expect in suburban-set shows seem all the more funny and just plain weird when it's viewed by somebody who's not used to them. Is it Condescending? A bit, but it remains unsparing when showing it's outsider hero and heroine's personal shortcomings as well.

Time will tell if this is given another shot, but at this point is has perhaps the greatest potential of any network show on the air.

pretty funny

Author: jmgmasse from Canada
11 May 2013

Okay, in all fairness, I was about to award the full 10 points, but that wouldn't be fair to the other great shows out there, so I settled for 8,5. In the comedy genre, it's certainly worth a 9 though. I don't remember exactly why I started watching this show, but I am so glad I did! Jane Levy is extremely funny and Cheryl Hines... can't go wrong there. I wondered how on earth Suburgatory would continue to entertain me after the first - rather stereotypical- episode, because I was sure the characters would be too flat for further interesting stories. Let me assure you, they are not. I don't know how the writers manage it, but it's still quirky (not in a 'new girl' kinda way) en original. I like this show a lot. I just hope they don't drag it out, because I do believe the concept is limited. Overdoing it would ruin the show, honestly. One tip: if you did not like episode 1, seriously try episode 2 because it is very funny. Penguins and all.

A genuinely funny show.

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
3 February 2014

Suburgatory has the perfect mix of sarcastic and stereotypical humour. As the show progresses I feel like it just keeps getting better and better. Although I do miss the absurdity and genius of the first two episodes the show would not be able to sustain itself if it didn't develop. Please don't let that deter you from enjoying this show though. I love the fact that it is so over the top and plays up to stereotypes but then again does it really. They may not live in your society but guess what they are definitely out there.

I hope this show lasts for a while as they still have so many areas that can be explored. I feel like they have only scratched the surface of what is a wonderfully colourful and insanely hilarious world.