IMDb > The River Murders (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The River Murders

The River Murders More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Did you catch the criminal?

Author: ratcat0 from Australia
29 August 2016

A film is meant to engage. Is this not true? So based on this observation one would be hard pressed to find this film anything but. The plot is something that is new and quite disturbing when you consider that the prime suspects own mother becomes part of the endless list of his past dalliances. The acting is great but not exceptional but this can be forgiven because of the amazing twists and turns this movie makes. If not for the obvious predictability of much of this movie it would have made the full 10. But alas this is not the case. Worth watching? definitely! Worth watching again... Well that is all up to the individual. Ray Liotta lends his usual flare to the assorted actors and Vhing Rhames makes for a considerate cohort. Tension is lacking for the most part but like a worn reality show its a matter of lets just see what happens next. Worth a watch!

Off to a good start, but ...

Author: kosmasp
30 September 2012

I have to admit, I have no idea why the movie is called River Murders. Obviously there is something connected to it, but it makes it sound ... well different from what it is. Or I didn't get the connection between the title and the motive. That could be the case too of course. But what starts of nice, maybe even something that might upset you in the sense that you wonder what you'd do, does derail a bit towards the end, which is a shame.

Performances are stellar throughout (except Christian Slater, who's doing his "crazy thing" again, but is more annoying than anything else), but not exceptional. There is a supposed punch at the end, which doesn't work so well. If you want real badness, watch "Sleep Tight". Now that's mad bad. Even before that final moment, there is another scene reminiscent of "Seven". Close, but no cigar then!

WrItTeN By SoMeOnE WiTh DeLuSiOnS Of GrAnDeUr AnD QuEsTiOnAbLe MoRaLs!!!

Author: samuel_dennis786 from India
28 December 2011

One of my all-time favorite films is Martin Scorcese's "Goodfellas", that film made me a life-long Ray Liotta fan. He has had a bit of a rocky career, even sometimes going WAY over the top or being WAY out of place, he is still one of those guys that when he does hit his mark, you can't take your eyes off him. I always liked Ray Liotta's acting, no matter the movie he stars in. He's always good, always electrifying and enjoyable. In "The River Murders" he's in good company, acting alongside Ving Rhames (plays Captain Langley) and Christian Slater (plays FBI agent Vuckovich).

In this little thriller, Ray Liotta plays Jack Verdon, a homicide detective, who is on a strange case – he's investigating a series of murders that all seem to have a connection with him. Verdon ends up becoming the prime suspect, when FBI uncovers his close personal ties to all the victims. So, naturally, now Verdon has to find the real killer, clear his name, and try to save some people on the way, the whole film circles around these sexual relationships of Liotta's character with other women he had in the past. By the looks Liotta has in this movie (he's not really in shape anymore), it's hard to imagine this "detective, who slept with over 100 women", but who knows right? everyone has his/her taste.

The killer in the movie is revealed rather early (he actually turns out to be a religious fanatic), and the rest of the film is filled with Liotta's desperate attempts to catch this guy, get along with his wife(who has also been cheating on him), and engage into these bitter talks with Christian Slater's character.

To sum it up, this is definitely not Liotta's best movie, and overall just a passable, forgettable pathetic thriller. Ving Rhames looks out of place here, and Christian Slater doesn't get enough of screen time and portrays a rather blank FBI agent character. I'd recommend this only to really die-hard Liotta and Slater fans, Otherwise, you might as well skip this film.

My RaTiNg- 2/10!!!

The Worst Movie I Have Ever Seen!

Author: davidjskeen
9 June 2012

Without a doubt this is the worst movie I have ever seen, amateur acting from all parties involved, directing and production are terrible. Do yourself a favor take a nap and leave this where it should be placed, in the garbage. How this EVER got a release is beyond me a child could have done a better job. The actors must have cringed whilst watching themselves in there roles and yes it really is that bad. I may only be filling in the lines now but the old terrible horror tales from growing up are more enjoyable. One thing that does bring a smile to your face is Ray Liotta saying he is going to take a jog, really he should wear a panty girdle his paunch is that pronounced. Watch anything but this!

Smart & refreshing

Author: buddybhupender from New Delhi
13 September 2011

well i saw the plot and decided to watch simply because i don't remember watching any serial murder movies lately...

i was not expecting anything from the movie because i knew in the first place that it is a low budget project but since the plot was appealing i went ahead and to my surprise i liked this movie in many ways. first the story itself. technically no loopholes in the script. second,characters were totally convincing and it didn't occurred at any point of time that they are unknown or never been in the lime light many times which usually happens in a small budget productions that everything is fine but star cast with poor performance brings the house down. so hats off to the stars of this movie. Third, even without showing much violence the director was able to portray the right scenario of crime scenes. so one dimension of the direction where you don't need a chainsaw or a shotgun to paint the walls with blood and body parts to make it a gore fest. You can look over the present resources and develop a plan to use them in a best possible manner. that's what the director has been able to pulled off. And last but not the least the characters in this movie don't behave in the typical way which we always make fun while watching such movies when we felt that this is the most stupidest thing to do in such a situation like even the most famous movies franchise SAW forced us to think that many times. so showing some things out of league was refreshing to me simply because it makes sense. There is this scene where the female partner of Lotta meets a guy and she refuses to date him simply because his partner is in trouble and she suspects that it is not a coincident that suddenly a guy turns up who seems nice and why he is interested in dating a cop which seems out of ordinary and she suspects that he might be dangerous but it would not have happened in the SAW or any other serial killer movies. so credit goes to director who applied logic with his characters thinking making it more of a thinking character's movie than merely simple performance where character is repeating his lines without bringing feel about his character.

Overall it is a small budget DVD release so i don't want you fellows to expect anything great from this movie but I'd say this technically it is decent film who does OK and has nice performance by stars, also the pace of the story is good so if is a good way to kill time at home and most of you might feel good about it. so given the limitations of the director & producers i would say that it is a nice attempt though screenplay could have been more tight but anyway it is refreshing. upcoming directors might learn something from this movie. My rating 7/10 simply because their hard work entertained me.

Adequate. Nothing special.

Author: NateWatchesCoolMovies from Canada
11 July 2016

The River Murders is a fairly entertaining thriller vehicle for Ray Liotta that tries hard to be in the same grisly territory as stuff like Sev7n, and winds up looking pretty silly in its efforts. It takes place on a rural community in the Midwest, where a serial killer is leaving bodies for authorities to find. Detective Jack Verdon (Liotta) does some digging and finds that that himself and the killer may have met before in the past, making it personal. This causes unrest for both the department and Verdon's mental state, prompting the arrival of an overzealous Federal agent (Christian Slater, annoying as hell here), and the concern of his captain (Ving Rhames). It's fun watching Liotta spin out of control, and the film climaxes with reasonable intensity, but showcases nothing unique or noteworthy. Raymond J. Barry has a nice bit as Liotta's father too.

Religious thriller with well acted notable cast

Author: djmidnite1 from new york
5 February 2014

This low budget, straight to DVD flick, actually, surprised. It seemed well written and it displayed an original plot line with interesting twists and climax. The cast acted all characters well, as it should have. There were some well respected actors, and it showed all of the experience that they have. Ray Liotta, the lead, doesn't portray a character as dynamic as Henry Hill, but has a firm grasp on realness, and does a wonderful job as his character develops throughout the film. Slater, who plays a rude FBI agent, also does a good job in a supporting role although his character isn't well-liked. The movie brings up interesting spins on cultural and domestic issues, as well as having a good thrill towards the end. I would like to congratulate the writer for telling a full, realistic story that comes off very genuine. Good job to all! It could have went to theaters...

Worthy effort from Liotta/Rhames

Author: Greg ( from Oakville, Ontario
10 October 2011

Homicide detective Jack Verdon's (Ray Liotta) sex life has been robust over the past 40 years. Unmarried until just recently, Jack played the field and enjoyed every minute of his promiscuous adventures. That is until his former female partners start showing up murdered thus leaving Jack as the prime suspect of an F.B.I. investigation.

This is the central plot line for The River Murders, a new direct to VOD and DVD title staring Liotta, Ving Rhames and Christian Slater that is much better than is should be for reasons that we won't be able to fully scope to any reasonable conclusion.

The movie begins sharply with the discovery of a female victim that has been found in a local river. Jack arrives at the scene and immediately identifies the girl as someone to which he had prior relations. When the body is taken back to the morgue, a ring is discovered in the dead woman's vagina. Before Jack can come to grips with his connection to the victim, he receives word that his mother has died mysteriously. And then, another murder of a former female acquaintance is found with the same M.O. as the first girl.

This prompts an F.B.I. investigation lead by Agent Vuckovitch (Slater) who is an obnoxious and not entirely believable agent who spends more time trying to provoke detective Verdon than he does on the exploration of the killer.

The River Murders soon slides into conventional thriller mode and more bodies are found while we are introduced to the killer and we get the two destined story lines of Verdon's confusion and struggles with the F.B.I. and the killer's relentless mission to continue a personal vendetta against jack that will be revealed before the final credits roll.

The River Murders is not overly graphic, it's not particularly believable and it has a killer whose motivations are something that can only come out of the Hollywood machine. Yet, we liked it. Maybe it was the always reliable acting by Rhames (who plays Jack's boss) and Liotta. Maybe it was the no nonsense direction by Rich Cowan (Shadow of Fear) that kept things moving without convoluting the plot line or stretching the brisk 92-minute runtime with unnecessary subplots or dialogue traps. Whatever the reason, we thought The River Murders worked and was far better than the average made-for-television fare that the story would suggest suited.

The heavy weight of the broad motive of the killer is the only thing that keeps The River Murders away from a better grade and acceptance. But that shouldn't deter you from giving this VOD effort a shot. It is better than most and hardly deserving of a complete ignore.

A truly laughable piece of film making

Author: owen-691-380910 from Hungary
7 September 2011

This is probably the worst movie I've seen all year and I have seen some rubbish films this year so that is saying something. The acting is terrible, the actors had no chemistry and most had been terribly mis-cast. The script is atrocious and the plot is not only unbelievable but also ridiculous, also the editing and camera work seem amateur. During this movie we found ourselves laughing out loud several times mainly because of Ray Liotta's emotional reactions (I cannot believe the performance Scorcese got from him in Goodfellas, having seen several of his films since).

There were only 2 enjoyable things about this movie; Christian Slater (basically playing Christian Slater the FBI agent) as his character was amusing and the 2nd thing was the end credits. I gave the film 2/10: 1 for Christian Slater and 1 for comedy value. Straight to the bottom of the DVD bargain bin (or the river) wit this please...

Engaging, atmospheric mystery

Author: adoraburl from United States
27 September 2011

Good cast, and especially atmospheric cinematography capturing a true Pacific Northwest ambiance -- if you have ever been in Portland in the rain, you know what I'm talking about. The plot is interesting, and although aspects were predictable, the underlying solution to the mystery wasn't obvious (at least to me, and I write mysteries). Disturbing to be sure, but that's the idea -- acting is good all around. Ray Liota is one of those actors who makes you wonder if he's gone as deep as he can go, or if he is about to go deeper than you thought possible of him. He continually surprises me, and that's a compliment. Christian Slater plays an ass of an FBI agent, and does it well.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]