IMDb > The River Murders (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The River Murders

The River Murders More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

This must have went straight to video

Author: Ed-Shullivan
7 January 2014

Ray Liotta has starred in many a fine picture(s), but I did not think this was one of his better films. His acting was certainly up to par but the movie was thin on content. Ray Liotta plays Detective Jack Verdon, a married man with a very active sex life with many, many partners before he got married several years ago.

Somehow, someone has been murdering the women Jack has previously slept with, and as any good serial killer will tell you, the killer has to have a modus operandi. So Jack is first accused of being the possible serial killer as he cannot account how anyone else would know the women he has previously taken on as one time lovers, so his badge and gun are temporarily confiscated. As more murders of Jacks former lovers are turning up, Jack is eventually cleared to go back on duty.

Supporting cast members include Ving Rhames as Jack's Captain, and Christian Slater as a pesky FBI agent. I enjoy a good serial killer movie but this film left me with little to be too intrigued about. A THRILLER it was not. Yes, it is worth a watch for a late night movie when you cannot sleep but it is not an "edge on your seat THRILLER", nor does it have a unique or surprise ending. Somewhat disappointing overall.

I rated it a 4 out of 10. Sorry Ray, but maybe your next suspense film will result in a better IMDb score.

Pathetic

Author: Kirsten Holmes from Cape Town South Africa
11 January 2012

When the cover says 'not since Seven has a deadly sin been this terrifying,' what I expect is Seven, only much worse, because no respectable movie director attempts to make a movie with any similarity whatsoever to such a legend of a movie unless he's a really shocking director or a really cocky brilliant one paying respect, and the latter are rare.

It's got the bible themed killings, except without the gore or the fear or the creativity or originality. And then, lo and behold, at the end the wife is taken captive by the killer, who calls for the husband-cop and Oh My God I never expected it...the cop kills the killer. Seven it is not. But it tries really, really hard to copy it exactly down to the 'shocking' final twist.

I have never rolled my eyes as often in a movie as I did in this one. The most entertaining thing about Ray Liotta in this film is the enormity of his beer gut, which proceeds him everywhere he goes.

The River Murders is the most predictable movie I've ever seen, with the worst script, cast, and directing in the history of my film watching career. The plot holes are so large you could fall through them from a mile high. And in the background, Christian Slater grabs desperate hold of the only role he could manage to land in what? The last decade? Oh well, he tries his best. There's your regular typecast cop actors as virtual extras.

I can't believe they had the nerve to include a 'making of' featurette on the DVD. Needless to say, I didn't watch that just like I shouldn't have watched this film.

Interesting Cop Drama

Author: Bob_the_Hobo
2 May 2012

Ray Liotta plays Jack Verdon, a Seattle cop investigating a string of brutal murders, with all the targets being women he's slept with in the past. Immediately a suspect, Jack has to tangle with FBI Agent Vuckovitch (Slater) work outside his job to catch the killer.

The script seems fairly straight-forward but it has a very compelling religious aspect that comes in when we meet the killer. I'm not spoiling anything by saying that we meet the killer fairly early on. His character is written in a way that kept me interested as to his intentions. I had a hard time believing Liotta's character would remember all the "100's" of women he'd slept with, but whatever. Verdon and the killer are definitely the strongest characters, though, with the Vuckovitch character being a constant strain.

Liotta, Slater, and Ving Rhames are the bankable stars advertised on the cover, but all three men could have switched roles and you would have had the same movie. For instance, if Slater played Verdon, Liotta the Police Captain, and Rhames the FBI Agent, or so on. All three do an adeqaute job, though Slater served more as comic relief than anything else. Liotta's wife is played by the gorgeous Giselle Fraga, whose beauty just about saves her flat acting. Michael Rodrick shows some real potential as the killer, his cold performance stood out from the supporting cast.

Cinematography caught the drizzly Washington weather perfectly, though as someone not a Seattle native, I was confused as why it was never really brought to light which river the title alluded to.

"The River Murders" makes for a nice day off or rainy day mystery movie to watch with some popcorn. I'd recommend it.

A surprisingly good movie about a detective finding all of his ex's murdered. Good but not really original. I say B

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
13 September 2011

"Twelve years ago I dated Sarah for four months, the last time we had sex was right down there. That makes me a suspect." After finding an old girlfriend murdered Detective Jack Verdon (Liotta) is suspended from the force. After more and more women from his past end up dead he starts his own investigation. This is a movie that really surprised me. I do like Liotta and Slater but lately their movies have not been that impressive to watch. This is a huge exception. While it had all the makings of a bad TV movie this became something more. I'm not saying this is amazing or anything new, it has the same plot of many of the CSI-type shows but seemed better then those to me. While this movie was not as tense as it wanted to be it still kept me watching and I enjoyed this very much. It may have been because of no expectations but I would recommend this. Overall, a very entertaining murder mystery movie that is better then expected. I give it a B.

Would I watch again? - I don't know if I will or not

*Also try - In Her Skin & Untraceable

Don't waste your time..

Author: ismail barackilic from Turkey
24 February 2013

There are some people who think this is a remake from Bruce Willis' film "Striking Distance". I remember when "Srtriking Distance" came first in theaters the reviews were really bad. First of all "The River Murders" has really NOTHİNG to do with "Striking Distance". Okay, there is a killer, who murders the old girl friends from Ray Liotta. But that's all. "Striking Distance" had a lot of action and (little) thrill. The lines were much better than in this one. Like I said, the reviews of "Striking Distance" were bad at time but if "Striking Distance" is really so bad this is garbage. Don't waste your time....There are some people who think this is a remake from Bruce Willis' film "Striking Distance". I remember when "Srtriking Distance" came first in theaters the reviews were really bad. First of all "The River Murders" has really NOTHİNG to do with "Striking Distance". Okay, there is a killer, who murders the old girl friends from Ray Liotta. But that's all. "Striking Distance" had a lot of action and (little) thrill. The lines were much better than in this one. Like I said, the reviews of "Striking Distance" were bad at time but if "Striking Distance" is really so bad this is garbage. Don't waste your time....

Step aside Resurrection .....for the worst serial killer move ever

Author: cmoyton from United Kingdom
3 June 2012

..and if you haven't seen Resurrection please do. It rips off Seven almost scene for scene and also casts Leland Orser in a major role. Is that homage or irony. Where Resurrection dovetails into The River Murders is in the religious theme to the killings while name checking Seven on the DVD cover. And that ladies and gents is as good as it gets.

Yet again i lament the fact that IMDb does not have a no stars option because this film has no redeeming features whatsoever bar a comedic hamming it up big time performance from a wise cracking Christian Slater as an FBI agent. Every cliché in the book is flogged to death. Credability is non existent. The rubber snaps (no pun intended) when Liottas ex bed notch cop friend takes a lift from the shifty looking serial killer because she could not be bothered furthering her feeble attempt to hail a taxi. Even when an opportunity is presented to spin something else the script then goes out of its way to reinforce the fact that Liottas character was a heterosexual stud.

Liotta should be ashamed for taking the pay cheque as his performance is so lame it is at times unintentionally funny. Watch him and his jelly belly jogging - hope they had paramedics ready. As for the "actress" who played his wife - jeepers enough said. I only watched to the ahem -climax- to see what the motive for the killer was after making several wide of the mark guesses. Now i'm feeling double dumbness by also actually paying to rent this trash and all. But then i excuse myself by checking the real age of the actor who played the killer on IMDb - he is in his 40's and looks every day of it. They pass him off as being 30 year old in the movie which is why i would never fathom him as the son of the Liotta character who is portrayed as 48 year old in the movie.

A detective works a case that gets very personal.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
24 November 2011

Ray Liotta plays veteran Seattle detective Jack Verdon, who by chance becomes a suspect in a murder case. Actually Verdon becomes the prime suspect when it is discovered this murder is connected to a string of unsolved murders up and down the Pacific Northwest. Verdon has been very personal with all the victims...strange as it may seem. And each found in or close to the river where he was intimate with them. Captain Langley(Ving Rhames)is eager to clear Jack, but filthy minded FBI agent Vuckovich(Christian Slater)is insistent Verdon is the serial killer. Jack's own wife Ana(Gisele Fraga)starts having her own doubts about his innocence. The killer is revealed too early and brings a strange dynamic to the story line. This is one of those movies that you wish was a good as its description. Filling out the cast: Sarah Ann Schultz, Melora Walters, Serena Caryl and Raymond J. Barry.

ALL of the thumbs down

Author: lindsayrenaecook from United States
9 October 2011

The dialogue was flat, the characters two-dimensional, and the directing sorely lacking.

Here on IMDb, this film is labeled a "thriller". It could have been, in the hands of a competent director.

On the rental box, this film was labeled "action". The only action i saw was Ray Liotta jogging (and looking like he was about to have a heart attack in the process).

The only decent acting in the entire movie came from a supporting actor - the husband of one of the victims attempting to murder Liotta - whose scene was cut short by the cops who showed up out of the blue with no explanation. How did they know what was happening? Shouldn't it have been the FBI instead of a couple anonymous cops? This barely scratches the surface of the awfulness that is The River Murders. At best, this could be labeled "movie of the week".

s.u.c.k.e.d.

Author: sking-235-737334 from United States
10 December 2011

A dog turd would be insulted by this flick. I can only blame myself for sitting through the entire movie... slowly developing a brain aneurysm from watching some of the worst acting I have ever seen. I can honestly say that I have never witnessed so many "known" celebrities tied to one giant ball of ass.

I could go into more specifics (the list is long)... but that would have me spending more time discussing this piece of garbage. And that's way more than it deserves. If I could get away with punching the kid who rented this to me I would.

You have been warned.

Pretty Lame & May Upset Some Sensitive Christian Types

Author: Jakealope from Albany, NY
3 October 2011

What was ironic was the night before I watched this movie. I was watching this Hollywood conservative give the stock "Hollywood is bad" spiel on some right wing "star"'s "News" show. He said that EVERY movie, TV show, play, even news story that comes out of Hollywood portrays Christians as psychotics. Of course that is a pathetic hysterical lie, from a pulp fiction novelist whose books were made into a few forgettable crime dramas. Fine, go make yourself into a victim & feel sorry.

Well this movie did seem to lend credence to him but at the same time destroy his central thesis. It was not made in Hollywood and for various reasons it went straight to DVD, mainly cause it really was lame & boring. I'm sure by now you got the gist of the film, and saw how the once promising Ray Liotta cannot carry a movie, even with Slater's mischievous energy.

Basically this kid, who the detective under suspicion had inadvertently sired years ago, decides to go on a killing rampage against all the women he ever slept with. See, John/Ray got this one woman pregnant, and instead of getting the abortion, she went to LA and gave birth to this little monster. So he grows up naturally angry & alienated and gets involved in Christianity & anti-abortion movement. Then he goes full psycho and tortures and kills his evil fallen mother. Before he kills one women, he finagles the other women who his absent father had slept with too. Since he was about thirty, he was killing women who hadn't seen his absent father in decades yet they seem to know the other women some one night stand of theirs slept with. So begins the chain reaction Since he is involved in the anti-abortion movement and has access to abortion clinic data, he matches Ray's lovers with abortions and goes after the abortion seeking ones with a glee. After he kills them, he shoves her wedding ring in her private place. Then he even kills Ray's mother, which made his sickness even more twisted since like what did she do wrong, even from some old testament biblical POV? Okay, as sick as it is, as well as unbelievable it was, the movie just plain sucked. Ving Rames was useless as the standard harried detective's boss. Some Gisele Brazilian type played his wife and in spite of her accent, her bad acting just showed through. There were a bunch of obligatory plot twists, most of them expected. Like the killer hits on the female detective friend of his, even comes to the office, yet bluffs them off when she was one his past sex partners. You think they would have grabbed him and sweated him out then, So the killer sneaks into her flat, etc The only scene that was half way interesting was the final scene when he confronts the bad guy. It was loaded with religious symbolism. It also sort of touched on the issue of promiscuous sex so it was not a total Christian bash. The worst part of it was that it was just plain dull and miserable and had no depth to it. The serial killer genre is so large and over worked, and only the ones that has some reality to it are any good.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]