IMDb > The Tunnel (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Object or creature unexplained

Author: Ramachandra Rao Mylavarapu from Hyderabad, India
21 March 2012

The Tunnel movie though claims to be based on true events it failed to explain what is the object or creature that is stalking the humans. Is it an alien? Why the crew did not carry any weapon? Why the Security Guard is reluctant to help them and later found to be dragged by the creature and removed his eye balls? Was it a flesh eating animal. Why suddenly the creature disappeared? No logical answers to these events? I am not against the attempt of the persons attempted to record those ghastly events. But they choose to do even after noticing lot of violence. Not very convincing. There is no attempt by them to abandon it midway. Why?No answers again. Only thing is that for an hour you will get the kick of watching some intense horror stuff.

Is it just me?

Author: petermartin-01913
20 October 2015

Or was this just awful? Derivative to the point of parody but not self aware enough to play it for laughs. The lack of any spark of originality would be alright if it weren't also utterly unconvincing at almost every step. Add to that a framing device that sucks all the tension out of the drama and you're left wondering what the writers were thinking. It's hard to blame the actors as there's not much to work with, but they manage to either barely register or irritate. What frustrated most is that the setting is genuinely creepy and they even manage one good scene, but it's way too little, way too late. A few seconds of atmosphere in a seemingly endless ninety minutes of dreary exposition and aimless, hysterical panic is not enough. God only knows why the average rating is so high on here. Are people accidentally rating the TV series of the same name? Or have they been threatened with a sequel if they don't inflate their grade? Please don't make a follow up ... this was already a massive number two.

It's been done before, but still effective

Author: tulstot4 from United Kingdom
12 September 2013

Yes, this is a standard 'hand-held camera' type film but it is done much better than some other examples.

I couldn't really believe that a free film could be any good at all, and I was very pleasantly surprised. The acting is very credible, the plot acceptable, and the sound design very excellent indeed. Obviously in the post Blair Witch Project world no one is going to really believe that this is indeed a true story, but it does have a ring of authenticity about it: the characters and their reactions seem to be what you would expect from actual people.

The main point of this film is that is DAMN SCARY. The dark and cramped setting really helps in this respect, and the oppressive silence is unsettling. I jumped like a wimp at many points in this film, and I would consider myself a prolific horror watcher, and a major fan of Asian horror. But it's not just a 'jumpy' horror film - this film is of better quality than that. The tension it builds is really quite stunning, and the big jumps never quite seem to come at the moment you expect them!

In summary: it's not going to win any points for originality, but still a scary film. Definitely worth watching, especially for free and at only around 80 minutes long, if you don't like it you didn't really waste much time on it!

So What Do Want For Free?

Author: (deletewindowson) from United States
5 January 2013

Faulty, yes, very faulty. But I like the concept.. a free movie right from the get-go. Terrific idea. Sort of an "open source" idea. Kind of. And as usual I use a binary review method: All or None. In this case All even though as I said there's plenty of faulty available for the haters to focus on. Okay fine. The thing about these consumer-cam flicks is that the makers are cutting all the studio crap right out of the picture. Anybody with an idea can go down to Costco and buy a cam and get to it. That means the door is open for any and all creative individuals to get into the movie game without being subject to the inherent nepotism and narcissism of the structured movie establishment with it's endless layers of greedy ten-percenters trying to pound the maker's concept into some formulaic mold of previous success. Big Studio Flicks are enormously expensive. And frequently brainless and wholly predictable. The movie establishment is now making flicks exclusively for dumb children only which is why they're all based on comic books now. The movie establishment is consuming itself with stupidity. So, being in favor of DIY consumer-level movie making I say it's a good idea to support little flicks like this, yes? Like, what do want for free? LOTR? Or what?

better than expected

Author: toddg-473-289818
23 September 2012

A few observations about this movie:

1. In the tradition of "The Blair Witch Project", there is a lot of use of a hand-held camera in this movie. Some call these types of films "found footage" films. Fortunately, movies that have come out since TBWP have matured with their use of hand-held cameras, reducing the quantity of jittery shots feel that render some movies almost unwatchable. I found this movie to have just the right amount necessary to tell its story and convey the creepy feeling to the audience.

2. Being a big fan of scary movies, I classify some as scary (suspense over gore), and horror (gore over everything else). I would classify "The Tunnel" as scary, since there is limited gore but lots of building suspense.

3. Being in the USA and watching movies mostly made in North America, I have found movies from Australia to be hit or miss. Many Aussie made movies seem to move very slowly and take forever for plot and characters to develop, and can lose their audience that isn't accustomed to that flavor of film making. Fortunately for "The Tunnel", that was not the case. I found its pacing to work well, and I was kept interested and in suspense for the length of the movie.

Blair Witch meets The Descent in this fantastic horror flick

Author: Blalace from United Kingdom
16 July 2012

A government cover up, a lone news crew, and a labyrinth of dark, foreboding underground tunnels - the basic premise of low budget Australian horror film "The Tunnel".

Following in the footsteps of other hand-held camera/found footage films, The Tunnel follows a small team of reporters as they secretly travel into a disused underground tunnel system to investigate a potential conspiracy. The story is told using both the footage from the crew's cameras, as well as interviews with the surviving members of the incident. As they descend deeper into the network, the situation turns from eerie to terrifying as they slowly realise they are being stalked by something with not-so-pleasant intentions.

Without giving away too much - The Tunnel takes a familiar concept and executes it near perfectly. The tunnels look genuinely terrifying, to the point where you wonder why on earth anyone would think of going down there. The creepy, mysterious sounds are fantastic, helping build the tension as the situation goes from bad to worse. The actors are also surprisingly good, at some points you almost forget that it's just a mockumentary and not actually real footage.

But what the film does best, is provide the perfect balance between mystery/fear of the unknown, and straight up in-your-face terror. Whilst the Blair Witch was excellent at scaring you purely through imagination, you do still end up feeling a bit disappointed when you aren't even given a slight glance at whatever might be hunting the protagonists. And on the other hand, films such as the Descent end up turning into too much of a monster movie, which sort of kills all the suspense/tension which was painfully built up over the first half or so. The Tunnel hits the sweet-spot perfectly - Throughout the film, you'll see glimpses and flashes, but nothing which gives away too much. Everything comes together brilliantly to provide some pretty terrifying moments at several points in the film.

Perhaps my main gripe with the movie was the overly long introduction - It goes into a little too much detail regarding the whole government issues/politics surrounding the incident. Its good to have some back story - but it does drag on a little and you sort of start wondering when the hell they're actually going to get into the tunnel itself. But its worth sitting through - cause once they do get down there, the film is brilliantly executed, relentless ride of eerie suspense combined with outright scares. Most definitely worth watching. 8/10

Terrifying.. not at all for subway goers..!!

Author: Maverick Wayne from India
2 July 2012

This movie is absolutely chilling and make you squirm in your seat. I've always wondered what it would be like wandering around in subways at night.. and this movie is all about subways and beyond..

Although the plot has few holes, all those are forgotten once you come to the last 40 minutes of the movie. The camera work is super effective and those jerky shots make your life miserable..

In some scenes, it reminds me of Auschwitz and its haunting camps at night. I should laud the directors attempt in keeping the terror source minimal and guessing to the very end. I also liked the fact that this flick does not overdose you with blood and gore, it just knocks you unconscious. All in all its a sincere attempt in terrorizing the viewers to the core. So far i have gotten terrified with Exorcist, Shining, Insidious, Session 9 and this one for sure..!!

A decent effort - looking forward to part 2

Author: Tysoncarter from United Kingdom
9 June 2012

An investigation into a government cover-up leads to a network of abandoned train tunnels deep beneath the heart of Sydney. As a journalist and her crew hunt for the story it quickly becomes clear the story is hunting them.

I went into this film knowing next to nothing about it. All I knew was that is was released online to download for free and was an Australian found footage film. Well, I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw and I think the less you know about the film the better.

Ill keep it as spoiler free as possible to begin with. The basic premise revolves around the governments sudden u-turn in a plan to use the underground train tunnels to utilise the water. An investigative journalist named Natasha decides something is not quite right and decides to take matters into her own hands. So she leads a team down into the underground labyrinth determined to get a story. The film mixes the found footage from the expedition with interviews with the survivors.

It starts off quite slow and we get to meet the crew. If you're not into the whole found footage/shaky camera work then this film may not be for you. However, if you can look past that and enjoyed similar styled films such as Blair Witch and The Descent then there is a good story to be found. The crew are a likable group and I was genuinely interested in what their investigation would uncover. We are told that the tunnels are rumoured to be full of homeless people. We even see an interview with one former resident who was very frightened when discussing what he saw during his time living in the tunnel.

Once down in the tunnel the drama starts to unfold and mysterious things happen. Noises, objects moving, and eventually members of the crew start to disappear. The claustrophobic location and the fast movements of the hand-held cameras really works well here. Like any good horror movie, we don't see who or what is stalking the crew until pretty near the end, and even afterwards it is all very ambiguous as to what actually happened. The director did a great job of only showing us a glimpse of what was stalking them, basically you see some bright eyes, but a little more back story to what it actually was would of been nice. They are doing a sequel later this year so maybe we will get more of an explanation.

It's hard to go into any more detail really without ruining the film. It isn't particularly graphic or violent, there is a bit of blood shown but the main horror is of the unknown and the claustrophobic surroundings whilst being hunted. The main negatives for me were that by having a film with a survivors interview narrative running alongside the actual found footage, it ruins the suspense of who actually dies and makes it out alive. The film leaves lots of unanswered questions and has a few plot holes, but overall I'm glad I've seen it and I look forward to the bigger budgeted sequel which I hope goes some way to rectifying some of the questions from this film. It was a good solid effort and I like the fact it was partly funded by fans who were offered the chance to buy a digital frame of the film.

For more reviews please visit me at http://headinavice.wordpress.com/

Worst film ever!!!!

Author: Louise Ashley from United Kingdom
10 February 2012

I don't know what film everyone else watched but it certainly wasn't the same one I did. Awful acting, unoriginal plot and not one bit scary. I wasn't on the edge of my seat I was bored!! The fact that only two were interviewed revealed from the start who survived and who didn't. There have been comments comparing the film to The Blair Witch - that was an awful film too!! Camcorder films do not build suspense neither do they allow you to connect with the characters. The fact that the films are produced in a way that is supposed to make you think it is 'real' and unscripted just highlights the poor storyline. I would not recommend this film and would not class it as a horror - just a poor attempt with an unoriginal storyline.

Bells from the deep

Author: chaos-rampant from Greece
7 January 2012

Sometimes a film with no major gaffes is enough for the night. There is some assurance in encountering basic competence, that things can still work out pretty well without us being tasked to do any work at all. And any film that is decent is a film that is not bad or worse, again a plus when you weren't sure to begin with. This is why I watch a lot of genre films, mostly horror, they are comfortable to slip into and the craft is usually applied in quick, raw ways.

The genre here is 'found footage', a hot property right now for many reasons. The execution is formulaic but rigorous. It hits all the dark spots fairly well, and in fairly quick succession when it does. The web of underground tunnels is suitably dingy, the mounted light on our camera weak enough to keep shadows close by. Our characters are palatable to be around. One is predictably obsessed with getting the story, this being us, keen to watch in the face of danger. Others push to get back to the surface. There is menace that could be anywhere around us, and that we catch only a malformed glimpse of when the frame freezes.

Key inspirations: The Descent for the cavernous horror, Marebito for the subway as the monster's lair.

So the effort is not for innovation in any way but a jolly good time. The use of CCTV cameras spliced in with raw footage I consider a mistake, it jerks us back to an editing process being handled away from our field of action. I'm undecided on the use of interviews, they add as well as detract. What is always worth watching in these films however, is that one ghostly moment; here our film crew notices a camera left in the wrong place, picks it up, rewinds, only to find out that their unseen lurker had been filming them and they were starring in that movie we are lurking around to see.

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]