IMDb > The Tunnel (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Tunnel

The Tunnel More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Low budget, low thrills movie

Author: Flavio Foglia from Italy
20 March 2014

Nothing new here in the horror genre. Actors are good, but the story is predictable and contains elements of a lot of previous horror POV shaky-camera films, so there's nothing new and exciting if you are familiar with the genre.

A movie made with such a low budget is excusable for some cheap stuff it's got, like always recurring to darkness to not allowing people to see what's happening, but why attempting at CGI with poor results rather then use a real actor with make-up?

Also, it is extremely predictable. You can understand who will manage to get out alive from the beginning, since it starts with an interview to the survivors. Want to talk about the main character? A yelling woman who does nothing but attracting the monster for the entire film with her moans.

My suggestion: see it just if you are bored and in the mood for a low-budget horror movie. Otherwise, watch some better alternative (The Descent, The Blair Witch Project, Rec, Cloverfield etc. etc. etc.).

Painfully slow and unimaginative

Author: Finfy from Germany
27 January 2016

I gave this movie a chance since most of the reviews were quite positive. Even though I am not really into the found footage genre that much I thought I could give it a shot.

Well I kind of regret it.

The movie felt like it needed almost an hour to build up the whole story about who and what these people were trying to film and just the whole thing didn't make a lot of sense.

Weird spooky things in some tunnels that kill (or eat) people or something? I did not quite get it. There was no explanation whatsoever. Only weird things messing with the protagonists and bad documentary styled footage in between action.

The acting was also cringeworthy and the German dub (maybe the English voices are good I do not know) made everything look like a cheap student project.

If you like stuff like The Blair Witch Project you might enjoy this but I certainly didn't.

Ruined by Bel Delia.

Author: DustinRahksi from Canada
27 January 2013

This going to be a quick review, and a few thoughts about this film.

If I had to compare this film to another, the closest match would be the descent, it has the same claustrophobic and dark atmosphere, even the creatures are alike. The setting in the underground tunnels was perfect, it looks great and has a eerie feeling to it. Once they enter the tunnels the film keeps a constant suspenseful mood throughout. It plays the part of the creature could be anywhere, in any shadow staring at you. It is actually a pretty good horror film, it doesn't rely on gore, unlike the descent. It has some genuinely terrifying moments.

But the one thing that ruined the film was Natasha(Bel Delia), she is by far the most annoying and utterly stupid female character I have ever seen in a horror movie. She went way over board with being hysterical. If there was anyone in the world that needed a slap in the face it was her, she over acted the part. She should have been thrown to the creatures. I may be being a little harsh, but she frustrated my to the point as yelling at my computer screen.

I say check it out, it's not bad. I recommend it.

Worst movie I've ever seen

Author: Commander Data from United States
26 February 2014

Wow, I don't know why I put myself through the pain of watching this all of the way through. Maybe it's because I was also playing Poker on-line and was able to look away from the movie some of the time. So much footage using a night-vision hand-held (and very shaky) camera, watching blurry walls and blurry bits of light completely ruined what may have been a 3 or 4 (out of 10) movie. I know it was made on a shoe-string budget - even less, but so much time spent using hand-held night camera when there was a real one right next to it really made it a 1 (awful). A few moments using that camera would have been fine - putting others in the setting. I like thrillers, and the idea here that started in the beginning seemed to be OK at first. But it quickly fell into the abyss and they spent too much time using documentary style (which would have been OK to begin, and end the movie with) and not enough acting & quality dialog.

The Tunnel to Nowhere

Author: Chandru Bhojwani (cultjones@yahoo.com) from United Kingdom
11 February 2013

A group of four journalists venture down in to abandoned train tunnels under the streets of Sydney only to lose themselves and each other to the horror that resides in the shadows beneath.

With the success of camcorder films such as Open Water, The Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity, it's no surprise that we've been inundated with a slew of similar, camcorder low-budget features. Sadly very few replicate the success of the movies mentioned. Carlo Ledesma attempts to recreate the fear similar to that of The Descent (2005) in this documentary style, economical feature except it falls short. The style and attempt are both admirable but like Chernobyl Diaries (2011) the movie beings to get tedious as the characters are chased by creatures you never really see.

The unrecognisable cast offer a decent effort and while Ledesma's attempt is valiant, it isn't enough to save The Tunnel and transform in to a movie worth watching. This is really one to miss.

Blair Witch meets Lake Mungo. No originality, no creativity, nothing remotely innovative. Not one of the good films I've seen.

Author: Nitzan Havoc from Israel
23 January 2013

As a Horror freak I watch many films from the genre, and like to try out films from all over the world and all sub-genres. The last film I watched before The Tunnel was V/H/S (2012), and in my review there I mentioned that so far my least favorite sub-genre is the "found footage"/"live footage" from the cameraman's POV. The Tunnel is not exactly "found footage", but more combination of "found footage" like the original Blair Witch Project and "fiction documentary" like Lake Mungo.

In my humble personal opinion, The Tunnel wasn't all that good. The "found footage"/"fiction documentary" cinematography offered us nothing remotely new or creative, the story has been done before (and better, see Creep) and the "monster" wasn't something special. The acting was good, and the cast isn't to blame for the director and screenwriter's lack of creativity or inspiration, but the final product simply failed to deliver anything remotely innovating or interesting...

This is, of course, just my opinion, and I'm not a fan of these sub- genres. Those of you who are might enjoy The Tunnel and should definitely give it a shot. I'm afraid I simply sat there and waited for the film to show me something worthwhile, and was still waiting when the end credits rolled.

Not my cup of screee-screeee-screeee-screeeee

Author: Austin from United States
3 February 2013

I know, I know. So many positive reviews, and I've got to be the odd man out.

If the sound of a woman ridiculously bleating and gibbering in terror, over and over, causes you to react sympathetically, then you'll love this movie. You see the cover photo? That's the WHOLE MOVIE. She just wouldn't shut up, and no-one would slap her. Then they'd move on and she'd go and do it again. Four or five separate times. Every time someone says "Shhhh", she immediately starts up again. It would have been so satisfying to see her end up a smear of blood in some filthy, forgotten room, but as the movie reveals at the beginning, she's one of the survivors. It just kept breaking the spell for me over and over.

Some of the acting was also rather flat, despite so many other reviewers writing that they were brilliant. This was Blair Witch level schtick, folks.

Lastly, if you're hoping to freeze-frame this so you can get a better glimpse at... things, abandon hope. Every critical frame is blurry or obscured with fake glitch. But I think it's just a big, skinny dude that doesn't like people who carry lights.

A boring collection of recent horror movies!

Author: parham-babak from Sweden
27 February 2012

I watched this movie with some friends and judging by the reviews and the storyline, we were ready to watch a real life documentary looking horror movie (Which is actually popular these days, thanks to Paranormal activity!). It starts with a long introduction for Tunnel and why the Tunnel was made during the World war and then even longer and boring search of the characters in the tunnel which brings you nothing but feeling of waste! Time to time we see the main characters talking on the camera to remind us that they are alive after the search in tunnel and nothing will happen to them! Then also there is an enormous bright light following them which spoils even the Darkness of the tunnel which is a rare element of horror in this movie! This movie is an immature and bad copy of films Like "Rec". It lacks in many ways, It's Definitely boring (Which is a big negative point for a horror movie) and is too long for its kind. In many cases it looks so stupid (for instance showing the main characters as interviewees spoils the story...). In many many other ways this movie fails to give you a reason to continue watching it. It's just random running of some unbelievably stupid characters in a tunnel (Which by the way thanks to Director; you know they are alive in the end!). Don't waste your money and time, there is whole lot of watchable horror movies around that you can fill your time with!

Effective For What Is But Could Have Been Better

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
27 October 2012

There's something very disconcerting about derelict buildings . I do fondly recall as a teenager on the Isle Of Bute using a three storey hotel - The Kyles Hydro Hotel - with dozens of rooms as a drinking den for me and my mates . We'd even use the old mattresses from the rooms and pile them in to the reception area where we'd impress each other by jumping off the top floor and landing the mattresses . We were brave boys in those days but no one had the courage to go there after dark . In fact one of the bravest things I ever did involved me and a mate to play a prank one night where he'd take the gang up to the Hydro and I'd jump out of the bushes waving a torch and shout that everyone was under arrest for trespassing . My mate disappeared and I was left alone in the grounds getting more and more worried . When my mate eventually returned he told me everyone was too frightened to come and despite bad mouthing them for being uberwimps I could understand their fears . There's something disturbing and primeval about buildings that have been built and discarded by mankind

THE TUNNEL plays up to this fear along with the fear of the subterranean . I never could understand the idea of pot holing . Why do people find enjoyment in clambering around in a place that is dark or were they can get easily lost ? I also can't help thinking the bravest career one can have is as a miner where a the worst case scenario leads to a mine collapse which means spending your last days slowly suffocating as the oxygen in the air runs out

As has been mentioned THE TUNNEL uses the technique of the mockumentary to tell its story . We've seen this before in THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT , REC , CLOVERFIELD and to be honest it's been done to death . Did people seriously think it was a real documentary ? If so then is there an explanation why there is non diagetic music being played over the interviews of the two surviving characters ? By trying to make something realistic the makers of THE TUNNEL continually shoot themselves in the foot . Of course the makers might be trying to make people look stupid by believing this footage is entirely real but my own life experience tells me that stupidity is perhaps the most obvious trait of humanity

To be honest I would have preferred a much more conventional horror film , one starts with the protagonists arriving at the tunnel entrance and descending in to its dark forbidding depths since too much time is set up introducing the film crew and since the film is intercut with interviews with the two survivors the audience know who survives the ordeal and who won't . A conventional narrative would have made for a more effective film . As it stands THE TUNNEL is effective in places where the documentary makers are stalked but could have been much better film

What is the hype? Another Blair Witch? Cloverfield Sequel?

Author: utahman1971 from United States
30 November 2011

Geez this documentary is a docu-boring movie with the shakes. As another reviewer says it as good as REC, Blair Witch. What are you guys on when you watch these camera shake movies, because they are terrible even with the best actors, they are that bad.

It is like playing first person shooter game with the shakes. Dang, just can't stand that people think a shaky camera is great camera work. Just give the camera to an infant, and it will be better then this camera work. Steady hands with camera is better. If you want to not tell what is going on kind of movie then this is for you. If you are on something, then this movie is for you. If you want docu-boring movie this one is for you.

If you want to waste time with a free movie, this one is for you. I would not donate for this movie, even if I was the richest person in the world. This might as well be the Cloverfield sequel. Some people have no taste in movies. Rating this high like Blair Witch is something wrong with people. I say get your puke bucket next to you for all the shaking. Do not eat while watching.

What is funny is the previews hold out all the shaky camera, just to lure you in, and then BAM here we go, can you tell what you are watching? Even if you could does not make it good.

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]