IMDb > The Tunnel Movie (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Tunnel

The Tunnel Movie More at IMDbPro »The Tunnel (original title)

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Incomplete

Author: bikey1277 from Slovenia
15 January 2012

Quick synopsis of the plot; a TV crew decides to investigate the abandoned tunnels under Sydney because of what they believe to be a government cover-up. They are absolutely right. It is a cover-up.

First of all this is one of those first person footage shaky cam movies. To make it more documentary-like they include interviews with two survivors of this trip. I have nothing against movies shot this way. It can be very effective if used properly. Cloverfield is an example. And REC is an excellent horror movie. One of my favorites of all time. I read some reviews where the reviewers complained about the lack of mystery about who survives and who doesn't. Honestly, I can watch about 10 to 15 minutes of any mindless slasher movie and predict which character is survival material and which ones are 100 % cannon fodder. It does takes a long time for the movie to really get going but I thought the long intro makes the plot and characters more believable. The acting is OK and the characters aren't just props and one dimensional buckets of blood running around screaming until they get killed. Don't get me wrong, this is not exactly Oscar material here but its better than your average low budget horror movie.

I give it a 3. The plot is decent. At least it wasn't an insult to my intelligence. The characters are believable. I didn't find it boring, despite the slow build-up. BUT the problem is the ending. The last third of the movie is set in the tunnels with some jumps to the fake interviews with the survivors. The writers did a good job with building the tension but they really screwed up the ending. The last sequence of REC is a really good example of how effective the first person view combined with a night vision camera can be. Sadly The Tunnel exposes all of its flaws. There is a mildly creepy scene involving a policeman and the monster or whatever is hunting them in the tunnels. It is followed by a lot of running around the tunnels and screaming. And jerky camera movement. But if you are a horror nut like me, you're going to tough it out because you want to see the conclusion. Basically you want to see what exactly is chasing them around the tunnels. You would hope for some kind of an explanation. What is it? How did it get there? Where did it come from? None of those questions are answered. We really don't even get a hint. In a nutshell, this movie has no ending. Its like a murder mystery movie or book that ends without revealing who is the murderer. Incomplete and thus flawed.

Good effort, but a couple of major flaws

Author: scootmandutoo from Long Island, New York
8 June 2011

I respect the film-makers for putting out a well-crafted film. The acting was uniformly competent and, outside of a setup that took a little too long, was directed fairly well.

If there had been no "Blair Witch Project" and the other, similarly 'real' movies, than this would have been rated higher. But all this pseudo-reality stuff has been done before, so there is no novelty to the approach.

Add to that, the fact that the actors are all credited at the end of the movie and one of the primary intentions for this film (to make you believe it actually happened)goes out the window.

After showing at least one actual murder, that this should not have launched some sort of official investigation is just absurd. It may be implied that the government has covered this up, yet it still is highly implausible.

The biggest flaw, for me, is the storytelling device of showing the 2 survivors from the beginning. Also, when one includes the emergency call played at the start, it is very clear early on who the dying person is. Why do something that will telegraph who will live and who will die? It just saps a big chunk of suspense from the movie.

So, again, nice effort and creative marketing, but...ultimately...not something I would watch twice.

An Amazing Heartstopping and Compelling Experience

Author: luke-eberhardt from Australia
17 February 2012

Among Australian Cinema There's always an impressive horror movie. But its on some rare occasion that you get one that actually feels special. To me "The Tunnel" ranks as a film that has to be seen!!!

Filmed in a Documentary Style it follows a journalist and a TV Crew, who go an investigate a tunnel network under Sydney. The Tunnels were once railway lines and proposed to be used for recycled water under the state government. However after dangerous incidents occur below with people missing, the TV Crew find themselves faced with the horror of the story they were going to investigate.

Its amazing what indie films can do. The Tunnels is just another great way of convincing film makers to just go out there and make what you want in just anyway you can. The films funding cam online with 135k Project to sell frames for $1 each. It fascinating to hear how these type of projects come together. I would of liked to see a cinema release for this, but with its online distribution and DVD sales, Its a strong Horror film that deserves Cult Status!!! The Story is simple and easy to follow with some relatable characters, accompanied by th survivor interviews. The rest of the film is shot with authentic camera footage as if it were a hidden archive film. Acting talents are top notch! What drives the film is the claustrophobic sense of an uncharted caverns/sewers and the thrilling and compelling sequences of being lost and whats truly lurking in the dark (no need for me to say what it is). I can really say this film is Pure Genius!!! Watch it and chances are you won't be disappointed.

Bad telling of a weak story

Author: naff-sound from Germany
16 June 2011

Another mockumentary..In my opinion this movie was hardly worth 5 minutes of the time I spent watching it. Very long build-up, which isn't actually building up a lot - certainly not tension or sympathy for the characters. I found it mildly amusing how desperate the movie tries to induce an understanding for the motivations of the protagonists - and utterly fails. The very poor action is spoiled by the jerky hand-cam, which is badly executed and definitely not adding to the credibility of the storytelling. Adding credibility may have also been the idea behind the constant use of annoying effects in the style of a malfunctioning digital camera -they are inauthentic and outright crappy. The viewer has a clear idea who will survive in this picture after he's watched the first 20 minutes .. and since this is literally the only content of the movie (four people going in the tunnel- two coming out) one has seen the whole thing at this point. This movie got a ridiculously high overall-rating & I actually have an apt theory about personal acquaintances of the filmcrew writing some of the reviews - don't get fooled.. I am a friend of horror movies. I am not here to bash a movie because it happens to be a genre I don't like and understand. I really dig indie movies with a shoestring budget: a well- told story doesn't need state-of-the-art effects to support it. I quite like the mockumentary- approach in more recent filmmaking - i have seen great flicks that work with it & I don't mean the trendsetters exclusively. The Tunnel is just an uninteresting, amateurishly executed movie, not because but in spite of being an Australian Indie.

A solid thriller

Author: garydingleberry
21 June 2011

There are flaws in this movie. Most movies have quite a few. However this movie, with some editing and a little more interaction with "them", could have been amazing.

The entire concept of the movie is somewhat derivative."Blair Witch", "The devils rejects","Sanctum". Its all been done before. But this movie actually has a more modern and polished feel than those. The camera work is spot on, the acting quite good, and the movie is very scary. With all that going for it, the movie is somewhat predictable and formulaic.

I gave this movie an 8 out of 10. The movie is flat out freaky. Definitely worth a watch, or like me during parts, worth looking away.

The movie that dared cry "Tangles" 233 times.

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
11 January 2013

Tangles!!!

Prologue: "The following film depicts (Tangles-related) events that occurred in October 2007 (to Tangles, among other people). It contains official police evidentiary material (including a lot of hand-held camera footage that will remind you of other very true stories such as "Blair Witch", "REC", and "Verynormal Activity"). Several person involved in these events declined to be interviewed. (They refused to be associated in any way shape or form with this B-movie.)"

The overly dramatic, corny prologue is the only "interesting" thing going on in the first 40 minutes. You can skip these 40 minutes of the movie, easy; you miss out on nothing - aside from some rather trivial details involving in-fighting and power struggles in the offices of an Aussie newspaper. Who the hell cares?!

Not only does TT take an eternity to get its ass out of the dull politically-based back-story and finally shift gear into horror-film territory, but we also have two people being interviewed, very much in a Woody Allen, Bergman or Christopher Guest vein. It didn't work for Bergman, so why should it work here? Nothing will take you out of a horror movie quicker than actors pretending to be real people in a quasi-documentary set-up while explaining the bleedin'-obvious. An action scene in a tunnel – followed by someone blabbing into the camera about what he thinks he/she saw or heard. Nothing will derail a movie's horror potential than this kind of trendy docu-bull.

Nothing – apart from Tangles, of course. After 40 minutes of dreariness, finally someone is attacked… Yes, people… it's… Tangles time! The ten minutes that follow this abduction are about a character running through the tunnels, shouting "Tangles". "Tangles!... Tangles!!!... Tangles!" I kid you not. And then: "Tangles!... Tangles!" And so on. I am surprised they didn't call him "Kermit" or perhaps "Popeye". What a dumb name. Shouting out "Tangles!" a thousand times would be considered total overkill in a comedy, let alone in a horror film in which this kind of silly repetitiousness is a full-blown kamikaze act perpetrated by the presumably alcoholic screenwriter. Didn't he want TT to be scary? Apparently not. Hence the whole Tangles Affair, which could have sunk a government, not to mention a little Aussie horror movie weighed down so heavily by its utter excess of tanglesiness.

Then again, why am I complaining about the name? It's not the movie's fault that the man is actually called that way. After all, this is "based on true events", right? Tangles: the man, the legend. Let's not desecrate the name of this boom-man who ended up in the belly of an actual, real tunnel zombie.

Why have the survivors describe the events in cheesy interviews? That only serves to dilute the mood, not to mention that it serves as a major spoiler: now we know who makes it out of the tunnel alive and who doesn't. Well done, movie: take away whatever little surprise elements you may have had in store for us.

As if running through tunnels and shouting "Tangles" weren't stupid enough to already give TT high marks on the stupidometer, we then have two characters involved in ludicrous bickering; he shoves the camera into her face, blaming her for this and that (as if she could possibly know there was a flesh-eating zombie in the tunnels) and she responds to this badly-timed harassment by actually sulking. All of this in the midst of a monster attack. But at least there is a bit of realism inasmuch as the briefly sulking Natasha doesn't get all Lara-Crofty on us, but falls into hysterics at one point, which is how 99% of all women would react in such circumstances.

I love how they portray the tunnels in Las Vegas as some kind of bizarre, huge mazes impossible not to get lost in. Totally false piece of information.

Epilogue: "The whereabouts of Jim "Tangles" Williams remain unknown… (He is presumed unemployed, unable to find any new movie roles.) His family is still searching for answers… (They were told to start looking for them in the insides of the monster who ate him.)"

The Tunnel - A Disappointment

Author: Matt Ryan from United Kingdom
22 August 2011

OK, If you have seen Rec, Creep or The Blair Witch Project, then you have seen this!

I really don't get all the other reviews that are calling this movie original and entertaining! It's completely Cliché and very unsatisfying.

Four undercover journalists go on a mission to Sydney's underground to expose the truth about a government water cover-up and slowly but surely and very predictably they get picked off one by one!

The characters (all except the female role) were pretty believable and likable but that's about as far as the compliments go!

The Tunnel is an instantly forgettable and very flawed movie. The Acting and dialogue was acceptable but the story was just laughable and has been done so many times before.

I can't help think that a few friends were sitting around drinking one night somewhere in Australia and just decided to make a film about something that has been done to death and lost it's charm some 10 years ago!

The Blair Witch Project has a lot to answer for! Without it, this tripe wouldn't have been made!

Blair Witch meets Lake Mungo. No originality, no creativity, nothing remotely innovative. Not one of the good films I've seen.

Author: Nitzan Havoc from Israel
23 January 2013

As a Horror freak I watch many films from the genre, and like to try out films from all over the world and all sub-genres. The last film I watched before The Tunnel was V/H/S (2012), and in my review there I mentioned that so far my least favorite sub-genre is the "found footage"/"live footage" from the cameraman's POV. The Tunnel is not exactly "found footage", but more combination of "found footage" like the original Blair Witch Project and "fiction documentary" like Lake Mungo.

In my humble personal opinion, The Tunnel wasn't all that good. The "found footage"/"fiction documentary" cinematography offered us nothing remotely new or creative, the story has been done before (and better, see Creep) and the "monster" wasn't something special. The acting was good, and the cast isn't to blame for the director and screenwriter's lack of creativity or inspiration, but the final product simply failed to deliver anything remotely innovating or interesting...

This is, of course, just my opinion, and I'm not a fan of these sub- genres. Those of you who are might enjoy The Tunnel and should definitely give it a shot. I'm afraid I simply sat there and waited for the film to show me something worthwhile, and was still waiting when the end credits rolled.

What is the hype? Another Blair Witch? Cloverfield Sequel?

Author: utahman1971 from United States
30 November 2011

Geez this documentary is a docu-boring movie with the shakes. As another reviewer says it as good as REC, Blair Witch. What are you guys on when you watch these camera shake movies, because they are terrible even with the best actors, they are that bad.

It is like playing first person shooter game with the shakes. Dang, just can't stand that people think a shaky camera is great camera work. Just give the camera to an infant, and it will be better then this camera work. Steady hands with camera is better. If you want to not tell what is going on kind of movie then this is for you. If you are on something, then this movie is for you. If you want docu-boring movie this one is for you.

If you want to waste time with a free movie, this one is for you. I would not donate for this movie, even if I was the richest person in the world. This might as well be the Cloverfield sequel. Some people have no taste in movies. Rating this high like Blair Witch is something wrong with people. I say get your puke bucket next to you for all the shaking. Do not eat while watching.

What is funny is the previews hold out all the shaky camera, just to lure you in, and then BAM here we go, can you tell what you are watching? Even if you could does not make it good.

Worst movie I've ever seen

Author: Commander Data from United States
26 February 2014

Wow, I don't know why I put myself through the pain of watching this all of the way through. Maybe it's because I was also playing Poker on-line and was able to look away from the movie some of the time. So much footage using a night-vision hand-held (and very shaky) camera, watching blurry walls and blurry bits of light completely ruined what may have been a 3 or 4 (out of 10) movie. I know it was made on a shoe-string budget - even less, but so much time spent using hand-held night camera when there was a real one right next to it really made it a 1 (awful). A few moments using that camera would have been fine - putting others in the setting. I like thrillers, and the idea here that started in the beginning seemed to be OK at first. But it quickly fell into the abyss and they spent too much time using documentary style (which would have been OK to begin, and end the movie with) and not enough acting & quality dialog.

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]