IMDb > The Tunnel Movie (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Tunnel

The Tunnel Movie More at IMDbPro »The Tunnel (original title)

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Holy crap...

Author: thehomicidal from Australia
20 May 2011

I'm not going to lie... I downloaded this movie as soon as it was released (legally, look it up) and before watching it I didn't have high hopes for it. A *free* horror movie? How much effort could possibly have gone in to it?

Apparently a lot.

While the actors were fantastic and the set was amazing, what truly blew me away was the sound. Just the oppressive silence broken only by drips or footsteps. Sound can really make or break a horror film and in this case I can honestly say it worked!

As a general rule, if you hate "found footage" movies such as Paranormal Activity, The Blair Witch Project and Quarantine then give this one a miss. Otherwise by all means have a look! It's free! I know for a fact that I will be buying the DVD as soon as possible.

Very Intense.....

Author: TylerMW1984 from Liverpool UK
22 May 2011

WOAH..... really wanted to switch this movie off as I was practically on the floor I was that much on the edge of my seat! I'm not really into he shaky camera/found footage movies as the majority of them lack creativity and seem to copy off one another and end up relying on cheap scares or the same old jump out of your seat scenes..

This was something else, I was shaking at one point and was finding myself wanting to turn it off, making excuses to walk out the room just so I could compose myself.....as wimpy as I sound, i'm a massive horror fan, but this movie had me quite a nervous wreck!!!!! I can't praise this movie enough and would definitely recommend to horror fans alike!

Paranormal Activity, Blair Witch & Rec ...

Author: nessundorma-1 from Ireland
23 May 2011

First thing first... Turn OFF the lights, put your headphones on and send everyone from the room away and ONLY then ... click PLAY!

I can tell your right now, that if you are fan of all mentioned movies, you will most probably like this one too. There is everything you would expect from "real" horror movie.

I was tensed when I was watching & I can say it is interesting and probably the most realistic of all similar movies. Not because of the quality of the movie, but because of this can REALLY be true. Don't take me wrong, I am not saying that I actually believe in this, but it is more likely to happen than all of the "predecessors"

I don't want to and I will not spoil you experience from the movie, so I will not tell you what is really going on or what will they discover down there, but I will say, that you will be scared. If I would imagine myself in situation like that ... oh my god!

The movie has great scene and it has stupid moments. As the title suggest, there will be dark. Every good movie shows just a glimpse, this one is not different. Maze underground, only feint of light, creepy sounds, strange movements, loud breathing and ...

You will see... but I can recommend this movie if you are a horror fan. I was expecting less from this one. Despite the fact, that there are some elements, like "randomly" places cameras on the ground, always shooting the important thing or running and screaming and still shooting the right direction and things like these, pretty decent movie.

There is only one thing from holding me give more points ...When I first saw Blair Witch I was thrilled and really scared! Most of all I BELIEVED in what I have seen that time, I BELIEVED that I was watching a "REAL FOOTAGE". After couple of months I have found out, that it was a fake and nothing of it happened. This time I don't believe... maybe it is based of true story maybe not, I don't know and I don't care. Couple of years ago it would be 9/10.

The most important thing for me in this case is ... Really good movie! To believe or not, it is purely up to YOU!

"It's not our job to question it"

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
9 June 2011

"The Tunnel" is a low-budget Australian Indie horror feature that goes about the novel path of these found footage / interviews narratives which sets-up the incident as if it's actually occurred and looks at the aftermath during the same time. It might be unremarkable in its developments (virtually from the beginning we know who survived) and have its flaws, but still it's effectively uneasy (especially when the investigative news' team search for a story under Sydney's underground train network becomes a brutal fight for survival) and the characters are given enough depth (mainly with reflective / afterthought interviews) to build upon a real genuine sense of believability.

The story follows that of a TV journalist and her crew looking into the state's government initial idea of using the abandon train tunnels under Sydney as water recycle plant. However the homeless use the tunnels as shelter, although officials released reports otherwise. But for some reason the plans were scrapped, as now the government doesn't want to acknowledge it and this might be due to the constant disappearances of the homeless. With these cover-ups the crew decides to check out the tunnels themselves, especially after a somewhat frightening interview with a homeless man who once lived in them.

All build up; but it does a very good job in its structure by balancing out the intrigue with suspense, fear and the occasional jolt. Sure there are some questionable details in the plot, but never did it bother me. When the hectic nature erupts (after it's progressively slow groundwork), the story becomes a little shapeless and we are never quite sure to what's actually going on… never does it go into explaining all that much (especially the crew's encounter with something quite scary) and by the end its still rather ambiguous. However the experience does leave you with a chill, other than confusion. I don't know what to make of this underground dweller. Its stays pretty much hidden. The movements are purposely jerky and quick. Sometimes its towering outline figure shows and of course the glowing eyes… they just stare you down. Something is kind of hinted when the crew come across its lair, but little if nothing is explained about this dweller who stalks the underground tunnels. There's one scene; the only death scene we see is truly an eerie rattler. The dank setting is unique as the vast underground tunnel system makes for a windy labyrinth of darkness and claustrophobia, but other than the pitch black what creeps up on you is the unsettling echoing sound FX or simply a lack of it. Cinematography is important to infusing atmosphere; as expected hand-held camera-work which can be fuzzy or unfocused and this is demonstrated in many angles as numerous sequences have characters running about. Nothing all that distracting or nauseating, but well executed to say the least. Then there are the interviews, which do have a sincere quality to them. Performances have a nice grounded edge to them, never overplaying it but still rather involving in their illustrations of the ever-changing moods. Impressive turns by Bel Delia, Andy Rodoreda, Steve Davis and Luke Arnold. Director Carlo Ledesma uses many customary devices, but these are resourcefully pulled off with such precision and a real eye for detail in the horror stakes.

A familiarly solid, chilling and crafty little horror Indie feature.

Had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised.

Author: antfarm9 from United States
2 July 2011

I was really not expecting much from this film probably because I was under the impression that it would be more of the same ol' same ol'. I'm happy to report that this film was INTENSE !!! It was creepy in a Blair Witch sort of way but a lot more frightening. While watching it, you can't help but feel this could happen to you. Feels very real - a very visceral intense experience that will definitely stay with you the next time you are taking a train. A treat for urban explorers+ horror fans too. I think it's even cooler that it was a low budget film supported by film fans on the Interwebs! I'm glad it turned out this good. Let this be a lesson to Hollywood. Definitely recommended.

Serious Chills

Author: peter-shoobridge from United States
21 July 2011

In watching this movie it helps to forget Blair Witch et al. While structured as a pseudo-documentary and using various forms of "found footage", The Tunnel has more than enough individuality to lift it beyond the merely derivative. The plot contours become increasing plausible as the film develops - the movie does a fine job of drawing in the audience and creating the suspension of disbelief essential in the thriller/horror genre. The tunnel setting is inherently disturbing and disorientating. Think of it as a "ghost hunter" episode gone horribly wrong. Watch it alone at night and tell me you don't have to look away occasionally...

Another small masterpiece from Down Under

Author: Maleplatypus from Croatia
23 August 2011

Now, I'm really not into this type of "horror" movies (especially not Blair Witch or similar) but this one really looks so real and documentary that almost makes you forget what it's all about. Excellent production for almost no money at all: perfect acting, subtle editing, those details that make you believe... No, it wasn't scary at all (at least not for me). It is just what it would be if somebody really tried to do what these people did. Of course, Americans would send an army of armed & packed up kids and annihilate everything probably, but that's not the point. This is (only) a movie. The art of deception and make-believe. And it does so in every moment. Highly recommended even to the people not horror-fans. Just see what you could do when you lack budget but not artistic experience, know- how and proficiency. Go for it.

Another Shaky Camera Movie

Author: westsideschl from United States
4 January 2012

Let's try facts instead of paid positive reviewers. (1.) Over 50% of the movie is composed of "talking heads". You don't know what talking heads are? It's a cheap production technique where all you see is someone's head talking to the camera; often in a monotonic pseudo-documentary style to save a money, cover a lack of the following: acting, sets, props, plot and to lend a deceiving sense of credibility to a story. (2.) The Blair copycat formula of poorly lit places with shaky cameras e.g. Quarantine, (Rec), Poughkeepsie Tapes, Wicksboro Incident. (3.) Storyline is of the usual investigators of a make believe or highly exaggerated haunted "whatever" story. This one's a subway. (4.) Over 40% is the isolated claustrophobic running nowhere as seen from the point of view of a camera (or two). In this case, as is usual, we have normal lighting which seems to randomly switch off followed by viewing through a low light camera. If watching the walls of a subway tunnel is exciting then this is time well spent. (5.) Scary part is always very brief, in this case, just seconds. A very blurry figure that likes to make groaning sounds (how creative) and snatches someone so quickly it is also just a blur. (6.) Ends with usual talking heads' actors telling us how frightening it all was followed by few lines in credits telling us who lives on and who just disappeared.

Waste of time

Author: Ana Claudia Arins from Brasil
15 November 2011

You're not gonna see nothing new here, this movie is a bad mix of the Blair Witch, Cloverfield and countless other movies. But that's not what makes the movie bad, there's tons of good movies around that are not exactly original.

The acting is very bad, not convincing at all; the two main actors are boring to death and for me they just don't seem to be your usual horror movie type, which makes the movie seem too fake.

But for me the lowest point was the interviews the characters are giving through the movie that makes you already know who died and who didn't, maybe they thought it could be a original idea but it sucks completely. You don't want to know who survived, it's boring to watch a movie already knowing what happens. Plus the interviews are so not believable, they tell the story like they're talking about something like the stock marketing.

I could go on and on about how bad this movie. If you're looking for an awful movie, here it is! Otherwise, don't waste your precious time.

Incomplete

Author: bikey1277 from Slovenia
15 January 2012

Quick synopsis of the plot; a TV crew decides to investigate the abandoned tunnels under Sydney because of what they believe to be a government cover-up. They are absolutely right. It is a cover-up.

First of all this is one of those first person footage shaky cam movies. To make it more documentary-like they include interviews with two survivors of this trip. I have nothing against movies shot this way. It can be very effective if used properly. Cloverfield is an example. And REC is an excellent horror movie. One of my favorites of all time. I read some reviews where the reviewers complained about the lack of mystery about who survives and who doesn't. Honestly, I can watch about 10 to 15 minutes of any mindless slasher movie and predict which character is survival material and which ones are 100 % cannon fodder. It does takes a long time for the movie to really get going but I thought the long intro makes the plot and characters more believable. The acting is OK and the characters aren't just props and one dimensional buckets of blood running around screaming until they get killed. Don't get me wrong, this is not exactly Oscar material here but its better than your average low budget horror movie.

I give it a 3. The plot is decent. At least it wasn't an insult to my intelligence. The characters are believable. I didn't find it boring, despite the slow build-up. BUT the problem is the ending. The last third of the movie is set in the tunnels with some jumps to the fake interviews with the survivors. The writers did a good job with building the tension but they really screwed up the ending. The last sequence of REC is a really good example of how effective the first person view combined with a night vision camera can be. Sadly The Tunnel exposes all of its flaws. There is a mildly creepy scene involving a policeman and the monster or whatever is hunting them in the tunnels. It is followed by a lot of running around the tunnels and screaming. And jerky camera movement. But if you are a horror nut like me, you're going to tough it out because you want to see the conclusion. Basically you want to see what exactly is chasing them around the tunnels. You would hope for some kind of an explanation. What is it? How did it get there? Where did it come from? None of those questions are answered. We really don't even get a hint. In a nutshell, this movie has no ending. Its like a murder mystery movie or book that ends without revealing who is the murderer. Incomplete and thus flawed.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]