IMDb > The Collapsed (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Don't waste your time

Author: Movie Man from United States
2 September 2012

Take the other negative reviews to heart. I wish I had read them before getting this through Netflix. I watched the first 10 minutes or so and the bad acting was already apparent. Started flipping forward chapter by chapter and then did 4x to 8x speed on the DVD player until my suspicions were confirmed. Even with all that it was a waste of time. Not a quality flick at all like "The Happening". It was a waste of their time and money to make it. Unbelievable...I have to write 4 more lines of text to make this acceptable by the website. Can we possibly waste any MORE time with this movie? OK,one more line; maybe that will do it. Bye end of world movie.

Its really low budget...

Author: silverkelt from Maine, USA
13 July 2015

Considering how much they spent on this, I guess you would have to give the crew and cast some credence to their work. Its not overally terrible , not the worst of the low budgets you might see, but not really as good as many others.

It was probably minimal takes as well, shot in a short duration.

Overall, the people posting more then 5 stars on this is just ridiculous, its really poor production by today standards (not even TV quality) it has some poor acting in places. Its plodding, conceptually slow with minimal payoffs.

If reduced down to a hour, it wouldn't be a half bad episode of something akin to Twilight Zone etc.

There isn't much reason to watch this, if you have others on your list, just skip it.

Nothing to see here

Author: shtldr from Czech Republic
1 July 2012

The movie is obviously a very low budget one. That does not mean it has to be a bad movie... if it at least made up for it in other areas.

Unfortunately, it doesn't.

The result is 4 people trying to survive some unexplained cataclysmic situation, running about in a forest and getting killed by some invisible force controlling people's minds.

The actors in the movie do some really stupid things. For example, shortly after running for their lives, away from 2 fat guys with machine guns (AKMS was a weapon of choice for US citizens?) and gas masks (makes for a good DVD cover, right?), a young lady has nothing better to do than wander away to... shave her legs?!! The people split all the time, for silly reasons (well, in the end it becomes apparent that if they stuck together, the movie would end within 30 minutes). Despite being deep into an unknown forest, they always miraculously find their way around.

The conclusion is disappointing, there's no explanation about the background of the events.

There's no point in watching this movie, waste of time.

Do we really need any more running around in the woods with a camera movies?

Author: eah51 from United States
11 December 2015

Ugh, here we go, in no particular order, is my list of problems with this movie. (may or may not contain spoilers, how do you spoil something that's already bad?)

Strange whispering voices & sounds in the wind, rustling tree branches, no explanations for anything that happens, characters you learn to hate so quickly that you are happy when they get killed, horrible dialog, wooden acting, way too many POV jerky camera movements, a harsh & jarring soundtrack that's dubbed too loudly, drowning out the voices of the annoying actors (maybe this was a blessing?)

I still have no idea what this movie was supposed to be about? dysfunctional families? survival? some deep philosophical commentary on modern society? a low budget monster movie who's budget was so small, they couldn't even afford any monsters? annoying sisters who stop to shave their legs in the woods?

Watch it if you like bad movies, just don't have high expectations and you'll enjoy the jaunt through the woods

The Happening (2008) meets Stephen King. Good story, a rather original post-apocalyptic film. Far from being a masterpiece.

Author: Nitzan Havoc from Israel
9 June 2013

As a devout Horror fan, I've seen my share of post-apocalyptic end of the world films. And prior to discussing the quality (or lack thereof) of The Collapsed, I must pay due respect to author Kevin Hutchinson and screenwriter/director Justin McConnell for originality. No zombies, no cannibals, and none of the cheap shots (unnecessary nudity, death due to car not starting etc). Instead, whatever evil the protagonists face (whether man or thing is unclear until the end) is mysterious and unnerving like the killers in the famous Slasher films.

I guess I've seen too many similar films, as I've guessed the plot twist from the start, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. Story and screenplay were good, though the script slightly lacked. Acting was also quite impressive, especially considering the fact that I've never heard of any of the cast before. Soundtrack was also nice, sort of a Kill Bill/Friday the 13th hybrid. As for cinematography, I found it to be slightly too ordinary, meaning that it wasn't used as a hint towards the twist and the end (not a clear spoiler hint, but a subtle one that could only be recognized upon the realization and conclusion of the ending).

All in all, I almost as usual don't agree with the raters of this site. This film is far from being a masterpiece and isn't one of the best, but it isn't as bad as to be given a 3.5, not at all. While I wouldn't recommend going through any trouble to get it, I'd definitely say that if you come across it - give it a chance, as it's a fun watch.

Powerful and Poetic Science Fiction

Author: jlthornb51 from United States
24 June 2015

Writer/Director Justin McConnel has brought one of the most powerful post-apocalyptic films ever made to the screen with a stunning creativity and near poetry. This is a motion picture that takes cinema by the throat and shakes it senseless with its intensity. Haunting imagery and stunning cinematography enhance the sense of unease that permeates each scene. Beautifully filmed and magnificently scored, The Collapsed tells the moving and haunting story of a family fighting for survival after an apocalyptic event sends them on a journey in search of safety. John Fantasia is superb as the father responsible for his beloved wife and children and it is the performance of a lifetime, sure to catapult him to stardom. Ann Moule as his wife is also outstanding and gives her character depth and humanity. As the film progresses, the tension becomes almost unendurable, the intense, disturbing environment overwhelming. There is a surreal quality to the Canadian locations and this serves to make an unreal situation even more other worldly. The brilliant screenplay builds the horror until the ultimate in shattering motion picture climaxes. What this small film company has achieved on a minimal budget is astonishing and this films originality and creativity renews one's faith in independent cinema.

my god

Author: nightwatch4773 from Canada
11 January 2013

Well here we go again with another post apoc film to grace DVD. I just watched a German import the other day called Hell which was okay but brought nothing new to the table. The collapsed has to be the slowest film I've seen in years but for some odd reason I had to watch all of it. I guess I was thinking their was a lot more to it than meets the eye but NO it was exactly what I expected. About half way through I knew the ending, talk about Transparent. I believe if I had let my 4year ols son watch it instead of putting him to bed before the credits started, I think he would've figured this one out. The acting was lousy and you can't blame that on the budget. I've seen tons of films on a shoe-string budget have excellent acting....hello Cassandra Kane from Family Demons and I think that budget was under 10grand. This had a lot more to work with and we are dealt some of the worst cards on this side of poker. The sets were good and some tension thats it!!!!!

Not good but not rubbish either

Author: alex (doorsscorpywag) from United Kingdom
12 June 2012

It had a few decent ideas and might have been better with a budget. The acting was pretty ordinary and considering that the two guys had just come across the rest of their family wiped out they did not seem THAT upset. They must have missed the emotion class. Basically something happens and a family are trying to escape the city before it collapses into chaos. They find a car and set off for the country. They make a big mistake and stop at a petrol station for fuel and supplies. Some scary dudes pull up armed to the teeth and they head for the woods to escape.

Then things get a bit weird as we move into The Happening territory. We finally discover what is going on from some other characters who have fortified some farm buildings and the revelation that all is not as it seems.

Not a bad ending really and some smart ideas it has to be said. But the direction is lacklustre and the script a bit plodding as we have endless shots of trees and our heroes walking.

The usual fake reviews bull it up into something it isn't and overall it is poor but has it's moments and thankfully it contains no zombies which is a nice change. It probably could be made into something interesting with a bit of money behind it. Certainly not good but then not the usual rubbish either

Watch it without prejudice and judge for yourself, well worth it !

Author: uforia98 from United Kingdom
19 April 2013

I watched a German synchronisation and have to say, watch it without prejudice and judge for yourself. But if you are into that kind of genre (the world is ending), it is really good. OK, some scenes (like the daughter going off for shaving her legs) are kind of unrealistic, but then, the atmosphere, the tension, I think all of it made the movie well worth watching. Ignore the bad reviews, people admit they did not watch the whole movie so how can they reasonably judge it ? Respect to the director, producer and the actors for having made a good movie with little money. Even the soundtrack at times fits very well. Go watch it, and enjoy.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]