IMDb > The Collapsed (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Collapsed

The Collapsed More at IMDbPro »

Something different, despite it's low budget....

Author: Derek Halloran from Canada
20 June 2011

Probably going to polarize critics and viewers, since I'm not sure that I have seen a flick with this kind of pacing and structure before. I'll admit now that I've known about this for a while, since I caught the director's last film (a documentary called WORKING CLASS ROCK STAR) a few years ago and check in from time to time.. was curious what he'd do with a narrative.

While the film is far from perfect, it's a good time and enjoyable. The camera-work and score are top notch, the lead is very good, and the rest of the cast does a serviceable job considering the budget. Most of all, I really liked the different take on the end of the world... I'm not so sure I fully understand what "it" was, but I definitely get what "it" does, so by the end it's clear what has happened. By the end, it all makes sense.

I've read a bunch of reviews online, and they seem split. Some really like it, some outright hate it... I'd have to say judge for yourself. It's a good movie if you're open-minded and don't go in expecting THE ROAD or something like that (considering this was made for a fraction of that flick's catering budget). I really liked the atmosphere most of all... some really great tense moments brought up because of it.

Check it out - you probably won't be disappointed.

Another Post-Apocalypse Film

Author: gavin6942 from United States
30 May 2012

In the wake of the end of the world, a family of four desperately tries to survive. Taking to the forest, they soon discover the other survivors may be the least of their worries.

My first question is, do we need another post-apocalyptic movie? For the most part, no. The genre has been done to death and very few actually excel. (The same could be said for zombie films.) Want to see a good post-apocalyptic film? Check out "Dead Weight".

If this film excels at anything, it is stretching a budget. The film could reasonably have been made for a very, very low sum. There are practically no special effects, no big-name actors and all outdoor settings. I suspect the equipment would be the most expensive part, and McConnell probably had some or most of that from previous films.

Where it falls short is dialogue delivery. Some of the lines are bad, but they are compounded by the poor delivery. It just does not seem to come out as very natural. In all fairness, the father and son interact rather well. It is the daughter and especially the mother who fall flat. I am a bit confused why the father has an accent and no one else does, but that is not unheard of.

Should you see this film? Probably not. It is not terrible, but is not really all that great, either. The best part is probably the soundtrack. Watch it to learn how to make low-budget film, if you wish, but as for entertainment -- it provides very little.

Great Film

Author: rogue807
16 May 2012

No it's not a Hollywood budget apocalypse film... but I started watching expecting to scan through and turn it off and return to my work in my home office and ended up leaning back and taking it all in. I thought it was great. There was the odd awkward line or scene that i think could have benefited from some visual fx, but with the tiny budget this film had I think they did phenomenal! I think the film was well written and didn't have an overload of dialogue that I have seen in many independent films. Visually the film looks great... shots are nice, I see too many that are way too wide or too tight when they should be wide. The shots captured the emotion and feeling of the scenes effectively. The cast did a great job and Peter was straight Gangster! Lastly I want to see what Justin could do with a multi-million dollar budget... somebody in Tinseltown get on the phone with him!

Slow, but with a nice creeping tension.

Author: perkin2000 from United Kingdom
16 May 2012

*Spoilers are very mild* Low budget Candian film (IMDB says $150,000. If that's Canadian dollars, that works out at about five shillings) that follows a family as they amble through a seemingly limitless countryside, trying to find somewhere safe after an unspecified apocalyptic event.

The slow reveal as to the nature of the event is where the film eventually concludes, in a somewhat less than cheery fashion.

It's well shot, well acted and well paced. The only flaw, and I'm willing to forgive it considering the budget, is the free-form sounding, trumpet-heavy soundtrack. Although I might just dislike trumpets.

I've decided, yup, trumpets are definitely bastards. So you should seek this out and give it a go. It's good.

8.5/10 Originally at: http://filmplop.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/160512-collapsed-2011.html

Crap movie Warning

Author: Peter Pluymers (peterp@cyberdude.com) from Kortessem, Belgium
7 May 2014

I had a sleepless night, so I thought, lets watch a movie my wife certainly doesn't want to see ... It would have been better if I stayed in bed. There's a beginning and an end, and that's it. Just one absurd moment in the movie I want to share : four members of a family are on the run for "I don't know what" because "I don't know what" has happened to the world. Anxiously they are running and stumbling through the woods. And then the daughter needs ... 10 minutes privacy TO SHAVE HER LEGS ... Go figure !

That was the straw that broke the camel's back. A worthless shitty movie of the year!

More reviews at http://opinion-as-a-moviefreak.blogspot.be/

Really bad acting

Author: kazi-k-ahsan
17 August 2012

The story line was not good really, even though there was some suspense it was obvious that the dad was loosing it.

In short my wife was irritated with the mother and son, I'm sure she would have beaten them both up.

The daughter takes off to go shave her legs? really! the world ended and you want to go shave your legs! lol what a freaking joke.

Then she walks far into the woods and gets all spooked out after she was told.

Guns just laying around everywhere, really?

Talk about some really stupid writing here.

She just seemed so annoying and the acting over all is just horrible.

The dad showed no real feeling or suffering.

I would not rent this video again nor would I ever spend the money to buy it.

A taut, harsh, and riveting end-of-the-world sci-fi/horror winner

7 June 2012

A family of four led by the rugged and resourceful Scott (a stand-out performance by John Fantasia) struggle to survive after civilization collapses and degenerates into total savagery. As the family venture deep into the forest, they discover that fending off threats from fellow survivors might just be the least of their problems. Writer/director Justin McConnell relates the gripping story at a brisk pace, creates and sustains a substantial amount of tension, puts a welcome and refreshing emphasis on the characters over cheap gore and stock scares, and delivers one startling doozy of a devastating surprise twist at the shocking conclusion. Moreover, McConnell earns extra kudos for not only maintaining a strong mood of dread, despair, and hopelessness throughout, but also for giving the picture a hard'n'gritty no-nonsense tone that doesn't pull any punches and becomes progressively more dark and bleak as the narrative unfolds towards a powerfully downbeat conclusion. The excellent acting from the capable non-star cast keeps the movie humming: While Fantasia dominates the proceedings with his bravura portrayal of a two-fisted patriarch, he nonetheless receives sound support from Steve Vieira as Scott's laid-back son Aaron, Anna Ross as brash daughter Rebecca, and Lise Moule as worried mother Emily. The outbursts of raw violence pack a ferocious punch. Pasha Patriki's accomplished cinematography provides an additional jolt of energy and urgency, with especially dynamic and exciting use of a prowling Steadicam. Rob Kleiner's nerve-ratting score further amps up the heart-pounding suspense. A real sleeper.

I was rooting for this one ...

Author: mecheart from United States
27 June 2013

'The Collapsed' is movie where nothing of very interesting substance occurs for the first seventy or so minutes out of an eighty-two minute run time. That is truly a shame because I enjoyed John Fantasia's performance as a father and husband who seemed to be more than he appeared. I also (mistakenly) thought that the slow burn - indeed never ending burn - was some kind of intelligent setup design for a powerful payoff at the end.

Essentially, a family of four must survive the collapse of society - that is the gist of the plot. In order to do that, Fantasia's character leads his wife, daughter and son out of their native city on a journey to reach his second son's home in a place the movie makes you suspect is a remote rural location.

The four main actors get somewhere, experience hardships, there are deaths and tragedies, but the plot/director treats each loss or speed bump as such a minor affair that the viewer can only nod at a character's demise and assume something more interesting is waiting to be seen in a later act. For a relatively short film, 'The Collapsed' is very slow paced making it seem like a two hour time investment.

Again, very little happens and as a consequence, very little tension is built and what suspense does arise is quickly expended by highly annoying music and scenes that end in nonsensical dead ends.

The viewer of this film must be patient - willing to watch an actor run around with a bolt action rifle, pointing it at nothing, cleaning it and charging it again and again - for over an hour. Simply nothing happens that hints or eludes to what the film is really about until the last few minutes. By that point I was both bored, mentally numb, and my leg had fallen asleep.

Truly I did want to positively review this one, I was rooting for it to become something interesting throughout my viewing of the film. If nothing else, perhaps John Fantasia's performance will catch the eye of someone at a large studio and he'll get a shot in front of a wider audience.

I cannot recommend 'The Collapsed' to anyone really - unless you're a fan of Mr. Fantasia - and even then it'd be a hard sell. The plot ends up being a common enough one and in an attempt to make it work, the film lies to you with scenes that did not really happen. I've never liked nor approved of such devices in books and movies, they feel too much like a sucker punch in the reader or viewer's gut.

Steer clear of this one, unless you're incredibly bored or patient or you're scouting for undiscovered talent.

movie is garbage on film

Author: jasonbd20 from United States
4 August 2012

This is by far the worst movie I've watched in 20 yrs. This movie has ZERO entertainment value. The only thing worse than the acting is the barely there storyline. The dialog was full of unnecessary F*bombs in a desperate attempt to hold the audience's (I use the word audience loosely as I'm sure that no more than 3 people have ever viewed this movie at the same time) attention. I wanted to turn it off after 10 min but fast forwarded through much of it (don't worry, you won't miss anything if you do) to find out what they were running from. I wasted an hour of my life on this piece of crap and would've had more enjoyment out of burning the $3 I used to rent this poor excuse for a movie. I've watched home movies of my grandparents on the beach that had more depth and intrigue than this debacle. Hope I saved someone, anyone, from wasting time watching The Collapsed.

Its really low budget...

Author: silverkelt from Maine, USA
13 July 2015

Considering how much they spent on this, I guess you would have to give the crew and cast some credence to their work. Its not overally terrible , not the worst of the low budgets you might see, but not really as good as many others.

It was probably minimal takes as well, shot in a short duration.

Overall, the people posting more then 5 stars on this is just ridiculous, its really poor production by today standards (not even TV quality) it has some poor acting in places. Its plodding, conceptually slow with minimal payoffs.

If reduced down to a hour, it wouldn't be a half bad episode of something akin to Twilight Zone etc.

There isn't much reason to watch this, if you have others on your list, just skip it.