IMDb > Atrocious (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Atrocious

Atrocious More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Nauseous for all the wrong reasons

Author: cookie666 from Estonia
6 May 2011

The film has a very promising premise for any horror fan - a story with paranormal elements, a small cast and filmed with a hand-held camera (think of the suspense!). This immediately sets the expectations high - I was expecting a Spanish Blair Witch Project or perhaps a successful spin-off of Rec.

In reality, the friends I went to the movies with got nauseous because of the constant shaking of the camera and I did not flinch once. It must be said, though, that Atrocious does a good job of misleading the viewer - something I rather enjoyed, but some others might find disappointing.

The biggest flaw, however, was that the movie got lost in itself. The producers were clearly so caught up with the whole amateur-footage-spooky-places-run-and-scream theme that it engulfed the whole movie, making everything else that happened inbetween seem like one long filler. And then combined with the completely unexpected ending, Atrocious might just leave you feeling a little indifferent about the whole thing - and nauseous, if you're like one of my friends.

Overall, it's a decent little horror flick, but nothing that would keep you up at night.

Screw the haters this was great, Spain proves they're strong with hand-camera horrors

Author: Chaosmetal69 from Canada
26 September 2011

First off to the reviewer complaining that it was too long the whole thing was an hour and 10 minutes! Have some patience It's one of the shortest movies i've ever watched!

This movie is about a family that owns a house out in the countryside of Spain. There is a legend involving the maze that is attached to their house. However the kids who are curious types are forbidden from their father from going in there.

Being a huge fan of hand camera horrors I was eager to discover this little gem. It's short and to the point before you know it. I have seen various ones such as Noroi, rec, etc, i am a veteran in this vein so take it from me it's good!

The thing I liked the most about it was it was very realistic feeling and very intense and creepy and at one point when they're in the woods I checked how much time was left on the movie cause i was anticipating a scare in one scene and I rarely do that with movies unless they're scary

Bottom line is, if you like hand camera horrors, realistic scenes and tense feelings with goose bumps watch this now and enjoy it! you won't be disappointed.

People on IMDb tend to rate hand camera horrors really low for some reason but I think most people that review and hate on them don't actually like that "genre"

To create a great environment for this type of movie: turn the lights out, watch on a big screen, and by yourself its only 70 minutes who cares if you're alone. I guarantee you if you set that formula up for yourself you'll be wide awake after like I am.

One of the big surprises of the year for me

Author: Feyn Mai from stuttgart
12 February 2013

At first I didn't really know if I should even watch it, since we have seen so many found footage movies already, and he only got 4.8 points here. But then a friend told me I have to watch this, and he was right! I have no idea why this movie got so few points (except perhaps because the end was such a let down), it has deserved more!!! This movie has a very thick atmosphere,especially SPOILER

SPOILER all the parts done in this labyrinth are awesome. During the days you already get an eerie atmosphere, but during the night shots it is simply amazing !!! SPOILER END

Another big plus for me is that at no point I asked myself why the hell are they still filming ??? SPOILER

SPOILER Fernando Barreda Luna found a pretty clever solution for that, they needed the night view of their cameras to see something in the dark. They couldn't use their flashlights or who ever was after them could have easily found them. SPOILER END

I must give it to him, that was a clever idea, and it fitted in really natural. You don't get the feeling OK, he had a clever idea here, no, it is just a part of the plot that I didn't even really realize during the movie. Only after it I suddenly thought "Hey, that was clever, since usually that's exactly the point where found footage films mess up" Usually EVERY found footage film has this weak point that you ask yourself why are they filming this, but he managed to find a good way to explain it, that felt in no way artificial or anything like that.I also really liked how he build up the suspension really slow but steady. Often you think that now something really bad will happen SPOILER

SPOILER for example when the camera observes the dog at night, but nothing big happened,and yet you are left with a really unsettling feeling. SPOILER END

Towards the end the suspension is so tight it is almost unbearable

SPOILER for example when he is sitting on his bed after he fled to his room and barricades himself in. That scene is pure genius, you wait and wait that the axe is coming through that door, and the suspension was already near the limit before already,and then he just sits there. NOTHING happens for well over 2mins, yet this is one of the most unnerving scenes in the whole movie ! That one scene really shows the quality of Fernando Barreda Luna. In those 2 minutes your head is spinning like a roller-coaster, despite the fact nothing happens. This is so hard to do, but he pulls if of like a boss ! RESPECT !!!

Now so far the movie was an absolutely brilliantly done film, but as soon as that door opens he suddenly messes up completely !!! It starts with the first time that he is filming where I thought why the hell is he filming this. So far the filming was always a logical part of the plot, and now this,and it is only downhill from now on ! This sudden introduction of a new character, the crazy axe killer, feels completely artificial, like he had some footage left from another movie and needed a few more minutes of film, so he used what he had lying around ^^

You also get the feeling he had no idea how to end the movie,and suddenly they started shooting and he had to come up with something in a hurry. I mean the introduction of that crazy chick at the end could have been a good idea, if the film would have been at least 20 minutes longer, so he has time to really tell her story, but like this ? You also don't get to see how the 2 older siblings end. etc.etc. it is all just a big mess in the end SPOILER END

aptly named

Author: Colossusrocks from United States
7 August 2013

(I don't think I included any spoilers, but just in case I marked it as such.)

I love horror movies, and have a particular weakness for found footage or hand-held camera shot movies. That said, i enjoyed the premise of this movie at the beginning, and thought they were going in an alright direction with it. By the end however I was fairly disappointed with the movie and felt that felt that the movie lacked a great deal of substance. For a good deal of the movie, especially towards the end, you cant see a damn thing, as the screen almost if not entirely black. Now I gave them some credit for taking the realism thing as far as humanly possible, but it ended up ruining the movie. There really wasn't any "story" to it at all.

The other thing that bothered me were the long stretches of the kid running through the woods in the dark. I felt that they lasted way too long and didn't really accomplish anything. they lasted so long that they destroyed any tension they may have been trying to create. The twists were about the only interesting thing about the movie, and the only bits that didn't seem to be about bushes. The girl in the movie aptly says early on, "There is nothing to tape, but trees." and she is right. I felt that the ending twist was a bit weak and uncalled for, especially since nothing pointed to such a conclusion. In fact the ending raised quite a few questions that the writers don't seem to realize exist.

All grievances aside, this was not the worst movie I have ever watched. It comfortably fits into the found footage genre, but doesn't really add much of anything to it. I would not however recommend this film to anyone, even a fellow found footage junkie.

A really bad horror film

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
22 June 2012

We have reached the bottom. The "hand-held" technique has brought some good movies (such as REC, Cloverfield, Paranormal Activity and Chronicle), some mediocre ones (such as The Last Exorcism, The Devil Inside, Apollo 18 and Paranormal Activity 3) and some bad ones (such as REC², Paranormal Activity: Tokyo Night, Grave Encounters and Paranormal Entity), but none of them was as poor and tedious as Atrocious. This means that, from now on, things can only get better whenever I watch another "hand-held" movie in the future. Or that's what I would like to believe as a pathetic consolation after having wasted my time and my money in this piece of junk.

There's very few material in Atrocious in order to sustain a whole film, so screenwriter Fernando Barreda Luna (who was also the director) makes us to spend uncountable minutes walking through the woods in a useless attempt to create suspense or impulse the narrative to a more interesting direction...we will never find. And if that weren't enough, we are accompanied by the main character's redundant narration the whole time, which ended up irritating me with his insipid comments and extremely limited vocabulary of 15 words (at most), ten of which are profanity while the other ones are Spanish idioms I didn't understand (even though that was definitely my fault). Speaking about not understanding, the "horror" moments are so badly filmed that I could never notice what terrified the characters so much.

And then, we have a twist in the end from Atrocious, which pretends to surprise us, even though I found it so arbitrary and gratuitous that it doesn't satisfy, and it looks like an obligatory goop to bring some posthumous sense to the story. The poor dog could have been the guilty one of the whole thing, and it would have been exactly the same. Anyway...Spanish cinema has brought us some excellent horror films (such as El Día de la Bestia, The Others and the previously mentioned REC). Unfortunately, Atrocious doesn't belong to that group, and I can't recommend it, because I found it a deplorable film in which the only suspense came from hoping the movie not to extend itself too much.

Could have been great if it was cut down to half the time...

Author: ZombieSteak .com from Canada
25 August 2011

This movie would have been awesome if it was cut down to about 30 min. I was excited about this movie hoping it would give me the same chills that "The Blair Witch" gave me when I first saw it and to its credit it did… to an extent. I found that this movie spend the majority of the time running around aimlessly in the woods breathing overly heavily with absolutely nothing happening. These scenes got very boring, very fast.

I felt that these overly long scenes killed it for me. At times I felt chills at the back of my neck and that paranoid feeling I get when I'm scared watching a movie and then quickly that would fade away to boredom and annoyance due to a scene that was ridiculously long.

To the movies credit, if they cut those horribly boring long scenes this would have been a great movie. I loved the relationship between the Brother and Sister and how they would go out and explore together even though they were not allowed. It reminded me of my Sister and I when we were younger.

I also loved the whole storyline with a really awesome twist at the end. I loved the creepy maze, creepy house, creepy basement, creepy ghost stories and Etc. There was so much amazing about this movie but when you add overly long scenes of someone annoyingly breathing super close into a mic and a camera shaking and running so much you cant even see what's going on it absolutely kills anything good and creepy about the movie.

Zombiesteak.com - Discover a new world of horror films, designed just for you.

Terror on the loose closer than you think

Author: mdnobles19 from United States
28 October 2011

Despite that it treads very familiar territory and doesn't really bring anything that fresh to the found footage genre it still remains as formidable than ever. The film starts off pretty much like The Blair Witch Project introducing us to ordinary people who are documenting their research on figuring out an old legend but soon get attacked by an unknown force or being and things turn from normal to terrifying. This film is uber creepy with an fantastic atmospheric setting that will send chills to your bones and intense suspense that will have you grabbing you seat as well as believable performances from the likable leads that makes the whole ordeal that more effective and downright disturbing. It was scary but doesn't have a lot of nonstop jolts like the Paranormal Activity series but the intensity is their and the fear of the unknown and the big reveal at the end was clever and shocking and gave it an even more sinister tone that will get under your skin but still expected something bigger and different but liked the direction it took which was a different change of pace. The violence in this film though basically off screen is brutal and twisted once revealed after the fact and is the things of nightmares. Overall I wouldn't say it's with the top dogs of the found footage genre but I liked it a little bit more than the very disappointing Paranormal Activity 3 and I liked the direction it took more and this one was just more unsettling and better executed and a more disturbing story. Worth a look just don't expect something with tons of jump scares just more shock value. 6.3 out of 10

Despite all the bad reviews, it was actually good.

Author: Ka from mclennon's love cloud
12 August 2011

The flick was shot in a first person view, so it is not for everyone. The dialogue is well constructed, the relationships between relatives are believable, the scene change is very fluent and modern - you might see the resemblances to other movies such as Paranormal Activity and REC. It starts with a slow pace and with a supernatural theme but it has a very nice twist in the end.

Being a fan of this type of movies myself, I was satisfied with the final result. Do not expect gore, sex or mutilations - that is another type of horror. Instead, this movie (like so many others) provides suspense and dread.

I'll give 7/10 because of how well it was produced and put together.

One shot of Blair Witch 1 is 10x more suspenseful than this entire sorry flick.

Author: Michael_Erlyn from Earth
13 September 2014

I got the recommendation for Atrocious from a list of an IMDb user who has watched over 500 found-footage/POV horror films, according to his list, so I assumed that his praise for it must mean something.

It doesn't. REC or Blair Witch or Resolution or Borderlands or even the first Paranormal Activity this is not. This is in the lower echelon of the sub-genre. It's similar to Banshee Chapter or the Tunnel in terms of pathetically derivative, trite script, but it's even weaker than those shoddy titles in terms of suspense and scares. Atrocious has zero of those latter two elements. ZERO. Can you believe that? I condemn it, therefore, not as much on the flaws that it has, but rather on the lack of content which it is expected to have in at least TRACE AMOUNTS. C'mon people, make an effort!!!

There is a twist in the end. You see the twist coming half an hour away, and it's as hackneyed as the rest of this tedious tripe.

Steer clear.

Atrocious

Author: reallyevilboy from Melbourne
11 September 2014

I was slightly looking forward to this and was greatly disappointed.

Firstly, don't call a movie "Atrocious" and then make a terrible movie. I don't really see the point of the title aside from being a description of the actual movie quality.

This is a "found footage" movie, some movies in this new category can be good and some can be terrible.

This movie seemed to be composed of mostly 40 minutes of quiet footage, setting up for the eventual crisis point. The crisis point is the remaining 35 minutes of running around with the camera from an unknown assailant while screaming.

No real scares, no real excitement, nothing but Atrocious.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]