IMDb > Between Notes (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Between Notes More at IMDbPro »

Compelling Film

Author: seekinghelp
25 May 2012

So from the preview, I really couldn't wait to see this moving. I could tell it wasn't going to be a stand-out movie with outstanding acting, but rather simple, basic, and from the heart. And since I prefer sincere over production overkill, this was a clear choice to watch.

However, it didn't totally meet my expectations. The editing was sloppy, the audio was all over the place, and the story was shoddily pieced together. They had a wonderful story to tell, but really failed to put it together in a clean way that any audience could enjoy. A little more thought on how to string all the scenes together and a little more attention to detail (especially the audio) would have saved this film and made it an instant winner.

That being said, for anyone who loves watching new, creative stories lines, and more so for anyone who is a music lover, this is a must see. The story line itself is great, it just wasn't "told" very well. The acting is adequate (it isn't so bad to call attention to itself, which actually is perfect for this kind of film). But above all, the music is fantastic.

In the end, this is a great watch if your into music and scripts, but it's flaws will probably be overpowering for the average person (which is a shame, because the music and the story really could have provided the backbone to make this an indie classic).

Amazing Soundtrack

Author: thomaswpickering from London
16 June 2015

The other person who reviewed this obviously doesn't get hipster culture. A lot of people live in rundown buildings but have nice, modern things.

& who cares if they're "unattractive"? Most people don't look like David Beckham, or whatever. This is raw & relatable for most people who may well feel down on their life wanting to find love.

But the music. Oh the music. It's gritty, easy listening, passionate.... It's everything that a song should be, but what so many aren't.

From, An attractive musicians point of view, anyway.

Loved it!!

Author: tjtysl from United States
12 October 2011

Great Movie!! Love it is from guys that did it for the love of making Movies!!

Nice to watch a movie that isn't trashy!! Great Job BFM!! Hope to see more of your Movies soon! David and Summer's music was also great too!! Fairy tales and Tea's is one of my Fav's from the Movie! All the music being original made the movie! I thought I had figured the end out but was wrong! Not your typical love story but was leaving you wanting more! We need more movies like Between Notes that we can take our Kids to and not be afraid what is going to be said. Can't wait to see the success of this Movie!

Highly Recommended

Author: david_jez from Canada
13 October 2011

If you like films similar to Once, with great music and story, this is the one for you! David Ramirez has an honesty and fragility in his character that is compelling.

Brandi Price is also lovely and the romance between the two is wonderful to see. I'm looking forward to watching it again once it's released in November.

It will be nice for the world to have access to this film. I hope they release the soundtrack on Vinyl!

Please support independent film-makers like this. There are too many Hollywood films out there that, after awhile, are quite predictable. Let's get our budding film-makers a boost and making more films like this!

Awful

Author: michaeljayallen from United States
3 November 2012

This is perhaps the worst indie ever made. Fortunately, I didn't pay to see it. It's on my local NYC PBS station right now. I would email them about their lack of critical judgment if their website was actually working. It's blank. Maybe they are justifiably embarrassed.

Two very unattractive young but balding guys are roommates in an actual industrial loft building that has been expensively turned into lofts with designer kitchen appliances. The space above them has a young woman with a 20 thousand dollar grand piano she pretends to play and a $300 KitchenAid mixer. Maybe they all have trust funds.

A new woman roommate quirkily moves in with all her stuff in a quirky red wagon. She is a pretend singer songwriter and pretend pianist. And she quirkily writes fiction or something in the park where she met one of the unattractive guys, whose friend brings him ice cream with a plastic spoon inexplicably stuck to a pen, which the quirky red wagon girl happens to say she needs, even though she is already writing with another pen. The ice cream guy with a horrible beard also brought a quirky bicycle built for two. The roommate gives away his pen/spoon, even though there is no way for him to eat his ice cream cup except letting it melt and drinking it or something. They inexplicably ride across the grass while with the ice cream cups in their hands instead of eating it first. Maybe they had to wait for it to melt. (This is only the first couple of scenes, so I'm not giving much away.)

The dialog is terrible. Everything is contrived, or just doesn't really make sense, or both. The acting is mediocre. There's lots of singer songwriter music.

Digital filmmaking made this possible. No one would spend the money to film this when you had to buy actual film, unless the filmmaker had a trust fund too.