IMDb > Ender's Game (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ender's Game

Ender's Game More at IMDbPro »

Page 16 of 58: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [Next]

Enders game is a great movie but with some problems

Author: ddifrancesco-10076 from United States
11 March 2016

Even though Ender's Game only had two battles, it was a good movie.

Despite the boring parts all the other scenes were good. All the scenes were in the future and I felt like that was good because of all the technology It was very creative to think of putting the movie in the future but the question is why? I think that is because the director wanted it in the future because in nearly every alien or space movie it's set in the future. How the battle scenes were set out. The set was amazing it would've taken a lot of mathematical brains to figure out every part that needs math. It's really cool how they made it look like they were actually in space.

Special effects were astonishing. I don't know how they made a man in green push them around and make it look like they're flying but that was really good. The aliens looked so realistic and I thought that was outstanding. All the stuff they used like the guns and cars were cool because it made you think if that's what the cars and guns would look like in the future. I really like how they made the alien's face with the special effects. It was awesome. The way they made the battle room was creative.

The roles of the characters were alright. I don't think Abigail Breslin played a good role for Valentine. It was just boring every time she was in it. Harrison Ford played a good role because he was good at playing the head of the battle school. Asa Butterfield played a good role because he acted like a leader. Hailee Steinfeld acted well as Petra because she really acted like a good friend and a leader. I thought the main character (Ender) played a good role because he acted like a leader and really took pride in what he does. I don't think anyone else should of played his role because I think he's really a good actor in ender's game.

It was strange how the fifteen-year-old children including Ender are that intelligent that they are smarter than Colonel Graff. Out of ten stars I would rate the movie 8.5 because of all the boring scenes. The second reason is they only showed two battles in the whole time when he was in battle school, not including the battles with the aliens. In the movie they left out some characters like Shen and more I don't know why? They left out some parts in the book meaning some chapters and I think that's a bit silly.

Despite leaving out some people and chapters in the book, I would recommend the movie. If you like movies that are action and adventures I would guarantee this movie

Worst Adaptation Ever

Author: tompolhaus from Novi, Michigan
10 February 2015

This movie fails on so many levels it is a tragedy give how great the Book is. The only successful thing in this movie is the Battle Room. The acting sucks, the casting sucked, the screenplay sucked, the editing sucked, the soundtrack sucked. Whoever cast Harrison Ford should be fired and never allowed to work again. Not only is the adaptation bad, but the Movie is not capable of standing on its own. A complete an utter disappointment. Didn't have to be that way. While the scope and scale of the book present challenges, they could have been overcome by a good screen play and better editing. The cast should not have been cast. Whoever did the casting clearly did not even read the book. The casting is probably the biggest problem with the movie.

Starship Troopers Teen Training Academy with heart and Han Solo

Author: Sonny Wright SunKing from USA / AUSTRALIA
17 January 2015

I was pleasantly surprised. I recall the previews and thinking that is was driven by a grumpy Han Solo. Harrison Ford actually did bring the right type of surly father figure action. Asa Butterfield the little pom who plays Ender was quite good. Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine) was a good support and only had one crying scene. The effects and overall look was very "military space" which I love. Starship Troopers and Aliens have these similar looks. Obviously Aliens being a bit darker. Without giving anything away. It is a great look at how responsibility is given to a younger generation based on their unique and fresh way of approaching war strategy. In the end their brilliance is also countered by the innocent outlook on life...all life. Even alien life that is always looked upon as hostile or evil in these type of movies. Of course there is a twist. I won't say. But it will make you all warm and fuzzy. Okay one spoiler...."Watch out it's Ben Kingsley in your room !!! 7 out of 10. Crank up the surround sound and watch it at night. Good Stuff.

Children Acting As Soldiers

Author: Desertman84 from United States
14 September 2014

Ender's Game is an epic adventure based on the novel of the same title by Orson Scott Card.It is a science fiction that tells that story of an unusually gifted child that is sent to an advanced military academy in outer space to prepare for defense against an alien invasion that is about to happen in the future.It stars Asa Butterfield and Harrison Ford together with Hailee Steinfeld,Viola Davis,Abigail Breslin and Ben Kingsley.

A hostile alien race known as the Formic have attacked the earth.International Fleet Commander Mazer Rackham and his troops led the successful defense against it.In preparation for a future,Colonel Hyrum Graff and the International Military prepares the best young children in preparation for its defense.A boy named Ender Wiggin is pulled out from his school to join the training and impressed everyone due to his ingenuity and brilliance.He was assigned to become the children's leader in an epic battle that will once again save the planet and the human race.

This is a watchable science fiction film that offers interesting themes such as genocide,children acting as soldiers,pro-war and desire for power.It also presents grand visuals that will surprise and impress the viewer.While it has some flaws like having a slow pace and being boring at some parts,it still manages to be entertaining as well as compelling for the viewer especially with the themes in it.

Read all the books and movie did a good job

Author: Michael Davies from manchester
13 July 2014

As far as movies go, this is a great movie. Yes it's not as good as the book but what films are?

The film could have been longer and missed out lots of details about enders relationship with his brother and how bad that really is. I would have liked to see a bit more of ender background before he goes off, more of his family life and more about his brother and sister and his emotional relationships with them. Peter does play a big part in the ender books.

I feel the film has been adapted well though, it was just a bit too short, and lacked a lot of the depth that the book has. It still has some great battle scenes and I enjoyed the battle raining scenes.

Got to say as well the casting of this movie was great, the guy who plays ender is spot on and exactly how i envisaged him.

YES it's not as good as the book but it doesn't take away the fact this is a good sci-fi movie and I hope they re-make the whole series.

Excellent portrayal. Compares well to the original novelette

Author: Some Dude
10 July 2014

People who are complaining that this doesn't compare well to the book need to remember that the book was expanded from the earlier 1978 Hugo-nominated novelette of the same name. The movie appears to quite closely follow the original work -- as best as I can remember.

It is never a good idea to compare a lengthy book to a movie as there is simply no way that you can ever cover the same details. The book is 384 pages and would take the average reader over 6 hours to read. It is simply common sense that no 2-hour movie can cover the same material.

I found the overall feeling of the movie to be very good with just the right amount of desperation to the storyline. Ideas are presented without the director feeling the need to pound them into our heads. The SciFi purist will be offended by the seemingly unavoidable desire of directors to have noise in space, but we seem to be stuck with that despite the success of "2001: A Space Odyssey." The music is, unfortunately, overdone and intrusive and keeps me from rating it higher.

Ender's in school

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
26 June 2014

Okay, so I'll admit I didn't like this film as much as I wanted to. I'm a fan of big-budget sci-fi and alien invasion movies in general, so was hoping for an 'us versus them' kind of vibe.

I haven't read the book, so perhaps anyone who has will already know what I found out… namely that the film is basically all about Ender who's training to fight a second (alleged) alien attack on Earth. And train he does. About 75% of the film is about him in a sort of space school/boot camp. He doesn't do that much fighting of aliens.

Apparently we (Earth) need kids to fight for us. This is because… er… we just do, okay? Moving on… And, while these wonderkids are preparing to take on every last intergalactic nasty, they spend their time being bullied. Ender gets bullied at his school on Earth. Then he goes home to his family to be bullied by his older brother. Finally, when he makes it to boot camp he's bullied there, too. And, when he shines out among his peers he's then elevated to a squad of cadets including the biggest (or should I say 'smallest?') bully ever to grace the screen.

This film is rated '12' here in the UK and I reckon that if I was still a twelve-year-old boy then I would have loved it. Sadly, I'm an adult now and found it all a little boring.

But, it's not all so bad. This boy who plays Ender does a really good job and will doubtless grow up to become a pretty big name in Hollywood. Plus you have Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley – both of which turn in typically excellent performances.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure it'll find an audience somewhere. Now… I just need to know where I can play 'zero gravity Quasar' – I may not be twelve any more, but that looks like serious fun!

An attempt, but falls flat

Author: wolfeE-leet from Canada
19 March 2014

Warning, Spoilers ahead! I remember being bought Ender's Game (the book) when I was around 12 years old in the early 2000s. I thoroughly enjoyed it although it isn't really my "preferred" style of sci-fi I thought the book was slightly above average.

I remember the bulk of the book is Ender at battle school. It's interesting to note that Napoleon Bonaparte was an outcast while in the revered French Military Academy, and earned peoples respect by being the best. The same is true for Ender in the book. In the book, Bean becomes Ender's sort of second in command go-to guy. Think of Commander William T Riker and Jean-Luc Picard, they work great together and share a deep connection and understanding, but you wouldn't quite call it "Friends".

While barely following the book, the feature film Ender's Game reminded me that even the book is meant for someone in their teens. The whole premise is simply impractical.

Young children go through an intense psychological and mental test, and if they are found to possess aptitude for military leadership they are in essence forced from their parents and sent to training centers to become super-generals.

Except for one factor: This movie made me realize all the older, adult commanders during Ender's Game are complete buffoons.

At the end when Ender surrounds the Laser Weapon (I refuse to call it by its ridiculous name "Little Doctor", a painfully obvious throwback to "Fat Man") with drone ships in order to pierce through and destroy the homeworld, I just lost all hope for the movie.

I have no experience with military command whatsoever, but have read The Art of War, studied Alexander the Greats campaigns, Napoleon's Campaigns, Hannibal Barca's campaigns, the US Revolutionary War Strategy and countless other prime examples of excellence in military leadership. It is simply so irreversibly impractical to think nobody at the top brass of the military leadership of ALL OF HUMANS didn't think to use the Laser Weapon on the homeworld. Someone, at some meeting, would have suggested it and devised a plan to make it happen. Using the drones as a shield is not surprising or a revolutionary idea.

Given the same resources and weeks to ponder on it, I'm sure I could have come up with the same thing.

Don't even get me started on the other unbelievable parts.. such as: -How was Ender able to leave a top secret military installation right next to the Alien homeworld without encountering any guards, resistance or even spotted by security camera? -After taking the queen egg, by that time base authorities would have noticed Petra and questioned her. She would have told them Ender ran off. How did Ender sneak the Egg into the base without being searched or even questioned? -Ender blasts off into space to find a new home planet. He leaves in a small shuttlecraft. How will he survive? I guess in 50 years humanity went from fighter jets to galaxy-faring shuttles traveling at light speed free from the need of fuel.

Besides the command staff at the end behind the glass, the military installations of the future are surprisingly bare. I could have sworn I thought throughout most of the movie that the entire military of earth's leadership was Harrison Ford & Big Black Guy.

Anyways I'm just ranting now. Movie barely follows the book except for the main plot twist. Book or not the whole premise of the movie is made for the naive person or the very young. I consider myself a realist so when presented with something so unreal I find hard to enjoy it as entertainment.

Disappointing! 4/10

Author: leonblackwood from United Kingdom
15 March 2014

Review: I really didn't like this movie. The director wasted so much time on the kids training. I struggled to stay awake because I didn't find the storyline that interesting and the kid was quite annoying. Near the end it gets pretty ridiculous and the kid ends up getting over confident and cocky. If the director would have got on with the core of the storyline except of watching kids battling against each other, it might have been a better movie. Harrison Ford didn't get used to his full ability, like Ben Kingsley who plays a strange Australian pilot. Anyway, in all I didn't enjoy this movie at all and I won't be watching the sequel, unless the kid becomes an adult. Disappointing!

Round-Up: I had big hopes for this movie, but once again I was thoroughly let down. The CGI wasn't bad and I did enjoy watching Harrison Ford being cold as ice, but the storyline was appalling, along with the whole of the dull tone of the movie. Harrison Ford is the best thing in the movie and in some ways, it did remind me of Star Wars when they were watching over the little kid who eventually becomes Anakin Skywalker. I'm sure that there is going to be a sequel, judging by the ridiculous ending, but it was a waste of a big budget. I haven't heard anything good about this movie from the critics, so I don't stand alone when I say that it could have been much better.

Budget: $110million Worldwide Gross: $112million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there zero to hero space movies about a kid saving the world. 4/10

Good looking, but lacks emotions and reasons

Author: Zetinja Tresor from Riga
20 January 2014

I have read the books and really enjoyed them, also watched the movie together with a friend who has not read them and he also felt that the movie is lacking.

Should have gone even further from the book and include less details (while focusing on explaining the ones that are included) or made a sequel that is closer to the original story. It's just not good the way it is now.

There are too many things left hanging. Like "what and why is this third kid policy?" "Alais Salaam - what does that mean?", his relationship with his sister Valentina, the way Ender gained acceptance and friends, etc. The training and evolution of dragon army is completely left out, like what made them special and different from other armies, what did they do differently? it's all mentioned, but not explained. As I said - either do not mention half of this stuff, or explain, why.