IMDb > 7 Aum Arivu (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Expectation always hurts----7 aum arivu

Author: ruganblue from India
27 October 2011

I went in with loads of expectations.Only to be disappointed after the first half an hour.Making a big budget movie(in terms of Tamil film industry) with big actors is really a huge burden.Murgadoss clearly succumbed to such a huge pressure.

It takes immense talent,hard work and more importantly the knack of creating what we really wanted to,rather than what others wanted to present a wholesome entertainer.I rate Shankar way above every Tamil director to give a humongous entertaining movie.Many have attempted it and I don't find anyone even coming close to him.

Now let us come to the movie.What did the director really wanted to convey?

-> The life history of Bodhidharma? -> To praise Tamil as a language and Culture?

Had he tried this whole-heartedly, I bet, the outcome would have been excellent and the viewers would have loved it.

I understand the time and efforts put by the director&co for the research on Bodhidharma and Tamil culture,genetic engineering,Bio war,China's intrusion and their motive.Every bit of this is true and the director can be lauded only for trying to bring all these within 160 odd minutes.Hard work only pays if it meets intelligence.

In spite of all these efforts,what the film viewer got was,

-> A normal commercial movie,leaving the first half an hour. -> Usual romance though the director tried trimming it as much as possible. -> Five..sorry four really unnecessary songs.The songs were really irritating.(yemma yemma was the worst of all.) -> A usual smart hero who plays with everyone,suddenly out of nowhere becomes patriotic and clever. -> Usual heroine,strictly with a non-tamil looks and accent,but glorifies tamil throughout the movie.(tolerable???) -> A suave anti-hero, less spoken, trying to speak with eyes!!! but tortures with his facial expressions.

The director has underestimated the film viewers which is a big disappointment for a normal film goer like me.Every second scene there is dialogue glorifying tamil.And every third scene there is a reference to Bodhidharma.It makes me wonder what such directors think of film viwers?

In short let us see the positives and negatives.

Positives: ->Bold try. ->Surya's efforts. ->Camera,editing

Negatives: ->Screenplay ->Songs && BGM ->Graphics(Car stunt sequence) ->Director's under estimation

Suggestion: -> Could have made the movie in two parts.It requires immense guts though,which no one has in Tamil industry. -> Never try to cheat film viewers in the name of culture,language etc etc.However intelligent you might be!!!!!

Wonderful Tamil History wasted by a poor screenplay

Author: bull_dog006
28 October 2011

First thing: I don't know why Harris was paid for this movie, He has copy pasted major of songs and his BGM is actually playing against the movie.

Murugadoss trying to share a lost part of Tamil history is commendable. But it is heartbreaking that he has tried to do it through a rehashed plot beaten to death in Hollywood movies. Nothing great about the much hyped action sequence. Only good part of the movie is the first 20 minutes portraying the story in 520 AD and Shruti's outburst in the scene where the scientists try to mock her for using a book written in Tamil as the reference for her research. Every Tamilian should share the spirit. Shruthi has a better role than Surya in the movie. Only role for Surya is the one u see in posters

Thanks to ARM for sharing the wonderful Tamil History, but this beautiful concept is spoiled by the annoying BGM and a poor screenplay. Btr luck next time Doss....

Its all about Surya!

Author: nanda-ramesh from India
27 October 2011

Saw the movie on the 1st day (26th Oct), noon show. It was fun to hear the whistles when "the man" appeared first time. Mind you this is in Bangalore. Interestingly, Director Murgadoss also got similar response when his name appeared.

The story, I think all of you know by now having probably read the summary or one of the many detailed reviews out there. It is a science fiction story based loosely on the various legends of Bodhi Dharma with a plot similar to many recent movies/books like Outbreak, James Rollins "Doomsday Key", etc. The story ties those 1500 yr old legends to modern day issues and eventually becomes the usual masala(potboiler) movie. The script is still very much an original one(I thought) tailored to showcase Surya and Shruthi Hassan.

Now for my critique.

The good things first:

- I thought Surya's acting was fantastic. He is truly head and shoulders above everybody else resulting in them looking bad by comparison. Future casters for Suryas movies have to be smarter and put actors around him, even for smaller roles, who are up for the challenge.

- The plot is quite good and I commend the group for experimenting and taking risks. The presentation of the 500AD scenes were quite believable.

- Songs were good. I was looking forward to the Ringa Ringa one. It was again a good try. However, I was disappointed with the fast camera panning and lack of more crowd screen time, that is the non-planted ones. It seemed to me that they had too many actors mingled in the crowd and in effect missed out capturing the true surprise shown by the normal crowd on suddenly seeing Surya dancing.

Now the bad things:

- Other than Surya, and the villain John Nguyen(?), rest of the action was sub-par. Shruthi Hassan, her friends, Professor, Chinese plotters, Police etc..etc..all looked to be from a C grade movie. I sincerely feel, Shruthi is better off going back to music. She looked stiff and overwhelmed in her role. Her dialog delivery was as bad as it can get. I thought also she lacked the Glamour feel for the Heroine role and worst of all... no chemistry with Surya! Oh well....but she has good looks and who knows...with her pedigree she might still make it.

- Too much violence. But thats just me. The Tamil-makkal(people) may like it. But I and my wife thought there was too much gore and killing, a lot of which could have been avoided. Dong lee forced one too many hypnotic "harakiris" leaving the audience exhausted by the end.

- The plot ended quite amateurishly after starting out well. I can take stretching the possibilities quite a bit given this is a science fiction movie...but to do genetic modification using scriptures from 500 AD? Well, I have to draw the line somewhere! :) Also, what happened to China after it was exposed to have perpetrated a massive terror strike on India? The script conveniently forgot all about it.

- unnecessary Tamil pride lines all through with a totally weird final rah-rah speech by Surya. Just tell the story and let the audience figure it out...when it is force-fed...the message becomes a bit rancid.

Overall, in spite of the original exciting script handled by great talent all around, the movie became an usual run-of-the-mill masala. Too bad! But I do hope the same group will venture further and do a better one next time and make sure they have enough screen time to end it well.

An assault on all of your senses

Author: mahenicecold from India
26 October 2011

This was a very much hyped movie.Seriously the makers of this movie took marketing it to the extremes.But the question is does it live upto the hype.And the answer sadly is no.

And the biggest disappointment is that it promises a lot but is not able to deliver as it is let down by some shoddy screenplay.And the director seems to have made no effort with the movie's characterization.None of the characters are well etched.The plot is a bit far fetched but the concept is digestible.

The actors Suriya and Shruti Haasan don't produce any brilliant acting to write home about and the heroine seems to be just going through the motions in a lot of scenes.

The plus points of the films are the well choreographed action sequences involving the villain Johnny Nguyen.The action sequences make the movie worthwhile.The songs should please the audience. But they are not enough to keep the movie from disappointing.

Over Rated

Author: kannan_fifa from Singapore
28 October 2011

7aam Arivu - 6.5/10 - 7aam Arivu as promised managed to deliver a strong message weaved with a sturdy historic story. Certainly any 'Tamilan' who watches this film, can feel the pride of knowing about an ancestor like Bodhidharman. A.R.Murugadoss have caught such a solid premise and the initial 20 minutes of the film really sets the tone really big.

However, what makes it fall apart is the weak and unfocused screenplay which often slips out of the main objective of the story. Badly placed songs and redundant love track (which comes immediately after the epic 20 minutes start), are some of the examples of the wandering screenplay. The vision of the director and what he wanted to tell the world is very clear by just seeing the visuals and the central plot itself, therefore some of the preachy dialogues could be avoided. In addition, Harris Jeyaraj - Murgadoss combination is surprisingly missing in this film.

On the brighter side, 7aam Arivu boasts with good use of technicality. Be it Ravi Varman's subtle yet epic cinematography or Rajeevan's grand art direction, they impress to the core, enhancing the story. All the actors score well in their given role but the real scene stealer is Johnny Tri Nguyen who casually cake-walks his role with such a majestically menacing posture. However the over use of 'Nokku Varmam' by the character rips the whole genuine feel of the art.

As expected by many, 7aam Arivu might not be a next Ghajini but really scores in the originality and the patriotic feel towards the Tamil. In overall 7aam Arivu is not a disappointing fare but not a remarkable one either.

Not a Great one but yes its good...

Author: nanaashwin from India
26 October 2011

First of all, the director has started the film in a good old age sequence. The Bodhidharma, pallava culture, travel to Chinese land, Fight sequence in the china etc... was good. The hero could apt for 70% of the character(my suggestion of hero who is apt for the character is Kamal Hasan.Any ways he cant act though). Then the plot moves to Chennai where the decedent of Bodhidharma Dharma is now working in a circus- second Suriya. Sruthi hasan gets acquainted with him and those scenes are good indeed, but rather getting us away from the main theme. then hero comes to know about sruthi-suba who is a genetic engineering student and was following a ancient book script left by Bodhidharma dharma himself to excite the DNA to bring out hereditary skills or abilities. Dong lee - Johnny Nguyen a shaolin student, one of the best, who is hired by some Chinese goons to carryout an operation in India comes and tends to kill sruthi hasan and suriya. sruthi can bring the Bodhidharma dharma back to present by exciting Surya's DNA. so this was to be stopped by dong lee, if not his whole operation would be a failure, because the operation is a bio war, in which certain deadly virus is set out which happened in the period of bodhidharma(in china) and he is the one who cured it. so bringing him back would cure India of the virus again. so is Surya's DNA excited? did he turn to Bodhidharma dharma? did dong lee successfully complete his mission? Answers to this is the climax.

this film truly portrays the Tamilan's power and also strictly portrays their mind set which never accepts their ability....

A nice try, but a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT

Author: Karthick Natarajan from Chennai, India
28 October 2011

Pros: Good Story line, Tamil Pride and Steady Villain

Cons: Poor Screen play, Copied Music(Even the BGM), Sluggish dialogs, And some ridiculous scenes of vehicles flying, Sruthi's Tamil accent, terribly placed songs

* AR Murugadass - Failed to deliver a world class movie even with such an incredible crew. * Villain 'Dong Lee' - Welcome to Kollywood, u may get another Tamil film. * Harris Jeyaraj - (Sorry, could'not use bad language here). * Terrible scene - The sequence where a girl and a sanitary worker doing martial arts fight is terrible. And the vehicles flying like papers - A pure comedy.

Verdict: A Big disappointment (considering the big hype by Murugadoss)

Quotes:

Rediff: "Harris Jeyaraj's music usually adds pep to the proceedings; here, they are a severe let-down here, not to mention the fact that they hamper the proceedings and act as a stumbling-block. Removing them would have aided the movie a good deal"

Bollywoodlife: "What follows is a love story spanning an hour of screen time, including three songs, inter-cut with pointless and pedantic explanations of the DNA matching process. Haasan supposedly plays a native medicine doctor's daughter from Thanjavur, but her Tamil accent and diction sounds like she's just jetted in from another planet, struggling as she does with complicated polysyllabic words."

Tamilwire: "Also, the director has taken generous scientific liberties in constructing his script. Nothing wrong with that, science fiction is a welcome addition to Indian cinema. But, once a scientific track is adopted, it must be seen through to the end. Instead, the script abandons the scientific credibility towards the fag end to give way to a commercial climax action sequence"

-Karthick.

7th Sense (7 aum Arivu) with no sense

Author: gnsuitor from Reading PA
27 October 2011

Such a pathetic screen play even worst than his previous movies (excluding Ramana) all the valuable resources have been miserably wasted by the director.

Audiences don't expect great things always but at least there should be minimum guarantee that it will not irritate them. Disappointment will not be the right word where all the factors are worst.

Director offers 3 chances for the audience to escape from the cinema hall in the 1st half, counting from the Bodidharma's news reel, Shruti hassan's intelligent demo to Suriya on DNA match and Villain's entry to India respectively, if we missing all these 3 then its sad on us :(

Good example for a poor screenplay!!

7th sense. Sensible idea, Sensible message. But Senseless execution

Author: murali s from Bangalore, India
30 October 2011

I expected an 'epic period' movie with a 'difference'. And,into the first 20mins,I thought it was. The periodical take with some good action and acting, is the only 'great' part in the movie. From then on when it enters the current period, it started to disappoint.

Indian directors still feel 'safe' only when there is unnecessary romance, irritating songs and useless characterization. There is absolutely zero chemistry between Surya ans Shruthi. They are not to be blamed. It was not needed and it goes nowhere.

Harris attempts to kill the film with loud songs which irritates the viewer. And the BGM is freaky and too loud. It would have been better music-less. The screenplay could have been better with an understanding that the audience do have a sense of intelligence. Where's the need to show the arch reading "museum museum" every time they enter one. We will know by the look of it. The villain's hypnotizing looks are used too far,to point where it gets dumb. Some CGI scenes really lack quality.

There are a few good things to look out for. The message which is really novel and striking, Surya's and Nguyen's acting, the initial prelude and some fight sequences. But if you have watched decent movies, you will definitely cry for a proper editing in the movie. Even when I know nothing about it, I honestly thought I could have done the editing job better. It made me feel that way.

A lot of potential wasted because of the need to commercialize it.So sad to see an excellent plot being beaten-up like this.

7th sense makes no sense

Author: inigo from Bahrain
13 November 2011

I went in to the theater expecting a world class movie especially after the director and hero went out of their way to assure us that the movie will be a milestone in Tamil cinema. And the initial 15 minutes set the movie up nicely and it only increased my expectations but what followed was a horror show which will make you regret paying the price for your ticket. I seriously do not know what this movie was about? Was it about kung fu? or Bodhidharma? or china being wary of India as a competitor? or Shuthi's genetic memory research which will help cure children born with deadly diseases? or was it about today's generations' failure to embrace the Tamil culture? or was it about trying to stop a virus from spreading ? or was it just another Tamil movie where the good guy comes back from the dead to finish the bad guy? I have no idea why Surya signed up for this movie, and his chemistry with Shruthi hassan was as good as a diwali rainy day. The music will put you to sleep with the Chinese track being suspiciously similar to a nursery rhyme. The villain could have brought some well needed class to the table but was wasted. I mean why would anyone want to watch an hour of him staring at the camera when he had brilliant king fu moves up his arsenal. The ending will shock you with the hero claiming that all the "clever Tamils" have ditched Tamil nadu and I don't blame them with movies like this to watch I would rather take my chances abroad.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]