IMDb > "Dallas" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dallas"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dallas" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The Ewings, a new generation

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
13 June 2012

A premiere that was ballyhooed since last year finally arrived on TNT tonight. The feuding and backbiting Ewings of Dallas have come back with a pair of feuding cousins who are both looking to prove something to their fathers.

Bobby is ill with cancer and is looking to sell the family homestead of Southfork Ranch. He wants to preserve it's scenic beauty as a park and he still honors the promise made to his mother from the original series that they'll be no oil drilling on Southfork.

His nephew John Ross Ewing wants to make his mark as his legendary father JR Ewing did, he's found oil, a lot of it that will make him independently wealthy of all concerned.

And JR is in nursing home, but how many steps he's lost is something only he knows and I suspect not too many. As usual he's proving to be a master puppeteer.

That's the barebones outline of all the new premises established for the revived Dallas series. The Ewings were an interesting family to watch back in the day. Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, and Larry Hagman are all back and in real time as well as these folks have aged in real life as well as their characters.

Jesse Metcalfe and Josh Henderson are Bobby and JR's sons and these two cousins are already feuding over business and women. And the issues of the day as Metcalfe as Christopher Ewing is into alternative energy and Henderson as John Ross Ewing wants to put Ewing oil back on the top of the energy heap.

Looks like Dallas is back in business. Whether the TV public is interested, time will tell. I'm interested.

Dallas

Author: Kyle Hickey from Canada
17 June 2012

As the "oringial" Dallas was before my time, I watched the reruns faithfully and truly fell in love with the show. The characters of the Ewing Family were one of a kind and in my opinion can never be duplicated by any other show. When word came that Dallas was going to be continued I was overjoyed and even more so when the premiere date was announced. I watched every single second of the "2012" Dallas and was simply amazed that after over 20 years they were able to create a way to continue the show and it's story without ruining the legacy of the original. I give this show 10 out of 10 and look forward to many more episodes of Dallas.

Dallas is back with a LOT of Backstabbing

Author: Josh Broudy from United States
14 June 2012

My parents bought the old Dallas DVDs years ago. I was hooked pretty much from the get go.

I was worried that this new series, Dallas: The Next Generation, wouldn't be as good. It isn't as good. It's better.

Good ole boy Bobby Ewing (Patrick Duffy) has gotten diagnosed with cancer. Christopher Ewing (Jesse Metcalfe), his adopted son, is doing his best to make a name for himself using alternative energy overseas. But Bobby doesn't trust Christopher run Southfork up to his standards if Bobby dies from this cancer. So, Bobby decides to sell Southfork. And John Ross (Josh Henderson), JR's son, is not too happy about it, as he wants to drill oil on Southfork. Oh, and JR's (Larry Hagman) not to thrilled with the prospect either.

We find JR in a retirement home. Not for long, though. Not when there's oil to drill and Texans to deceive. JR is once again played masterfully by Larry Hagman. The 80 year is as good as he was 30 years ago.

Patrick Duffy was also excellent as nice guy Bobby. He has excellent chemistry with his new wife Ann (Brenda Strong). Rounding out the quartet is Sue Ellen (Linda Gray), a much more refined character than she was 25 years ago.

The cousins John Ross and Christopher take after their fathers. They're involved with Elena Ramos, the daughter of a maid, and the former lover of Christopher.

That's about as far as I'll go into the plot. This show was and is going to be people's guilty pleasures. Our economy obviously is doing spectacularly right now. So why should we watch a show about a rich Texas family?

Well, it's the same reason people love George Clooney. He lives the life we all want to have. He has it. Many shows and movies have beautiful women and fast cars, but that's not what makes Dallas unique. Dallas has the IT factor. It's a guilty pleasure because 99% don't live that life. We don't have enough money to even consider being that greedy.

Money fuels almost everything in life. and when you have it, you have power. And that's why JR is such a compelling character. He's successful because he doesn't think with his heart, unlike Bobby. Probably, because he doesn't have one. You can call him a terrible husband, an awful parent, or even a soulless son. But that doesn't matter in business.

Because ultimately, blood may be thicker than water, but oil is thicker than both.

It's Back

Author: aefrench from United States
13 June 2012

Being a fan of the original show, (and recently completed watching the entire series on DVD) I have waited a while to see what TNT was going to offer. After watching the two hour and fifteen minute premiere, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. This is pretty good, and you have to remember that this is a continuation of the original. This is not a reboot.

Just like J.R. and Bobby before them, John Ross and Christopher are rivals, except they are not fighting over Ewing Oil. John Ross is a wildcatter, trying to strike it rich much like his grandfather Jock did roughly eighty years ago. Christopher is not a part of the oil business, devoting his time to alternative energy. Bobby is married and running Southfork, Sue Ellen is involved in the political scene, and J.R. is continuing to use his tricks to get what he wants.

This really is like watching the show thirty years ago. And I like the fact that they keep mentioning the past. There are mentions of Jock, Miss Ellie, the fact that Miss Ellie's family have owned Southfork for around 150 years, and there is even a brief mention of Pam, Bobby's first wife (albeit not a flattering one by J.R.). And it is great to see Southfork all over again.

If the first two episodes tonight are any indication of what the series holds, then we are in for a ride. I recommend it.

Riveting! Larry Hagman rocks!

Author: Quicksilver1900 from Paris, France
15 June 2012

Having loved the original Dallas, I watched this with interest and an open mind. After watching the pilot and first episode, I am hooked, if for no other reason than Larry Hagman as JR is better than ever. Old age has only added to his charm and personal power, and every line is a delight. It's not clear how he ended up in a posh nursing home for clinical depression - I think it's unlikely someone like JR would ever be thus afflicted, but he's back in business by the end of the first episode, fighting off the attempts of his loving family to do him in. Everyone in the cast has their own agenda - as usual, money and power - and I am very much hoping that JR will come out on top. Anyone who enjoyed the original Dallas will not be disappointed in the new series, because of Larry Hagman's finely nuanced performance alone. Old age reaches all of us, if we're lucky, but seeing the added dimension it gives to a man who is singularly ruthless and cunning as JR is absolutely fascinating. The camera focuses closely on his facial expressions - his satanic eyebrows alone deserve an Emmy - and you are always wondering whether he is sincere or faking sincerity to achieve his ends. It's a shame that they didn't bring this series back 10 years ago, as Larry Hagman is now over 80. Enjoy him while you can!

Edited to add - Having watched four episodes now, I can say that Dallas 2012 is actually better than the original, mostly due to Larry Hagman's performance. Now, at the age of nearly 81, having suffered numerous health problems through the years including recent cancer, there is a LOT more depth to Larry Hagman which comes across in his face, his voice and delivery. As one critic said, he is less like a character than a force, like the villains in the Lord of the Rings.

Further edited - Larry Hagman died yesterday. He had a peaceful, quick end, from what I read. I really hope he read this review and others, and knew how much he was loved and valued. Rest in peace, JR. You will be sadly missed.

Further edited - JR has been gone for awhile now and the show has had to find a new direction. I can say that this has occurred, thanks to two of the secondary characters, Mitch Pileggi as Harris Ryland and Judith Light as his mother, Judith. Judith is a stand-out, the true successor of JR. Her performance will make your hair stand on end!

A Good Comeback for Dallas

Author: afijamesy2k from Fort Lauderdale, Florida
16 June 2012

Finally after years of god awful reality TV shows, bad remakes of classic shows and other stuff, we finally have a real popcorn television show with Dallas, a continuation based on the 1978-91 prime time soap opera about a wealthy family in oil and cattle ranch in Dallas Texas, this time it's main focus will be on john Ross (scheming son of the man everybody loves to hate J.R. Ewing) played by Josh Henderson and bobby's son Christopher played by former passions star Jesse metcalfe and of course the three legends played by Larry hagman, Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray, although they are some flaws in this one, but the rest are just so good, including the emotional scene featuring bobby talking to J.R. at a nursing home about the Ewing legacy and how john Ross and Christopher should not follow the same mistakes that they made in the past, Jordana Brewster is also good as john Ross's love interest and Julie Gonzalo is also pretty good as Christopher's now wife Rebecca, and Larry hagman's back in top form as the man everybody loves to hate J.R. Ewing and so is Patrick Duffy as bobby, Brenda Strong (who was so good in the discontinued desperate housewives) is very strong in her role as bobby's new wife Ann.

Although I Have problems with the southfork ranch though, the HD is beautiful and the kitchen is nice, but it needs a feel to be home, still despite that, this is a very good version of a classic, something most TV shows lack today.

and I'm giving it a B+

"Dallas," Is Back!

Author: filmguy1976 from United States
13 June 2012

This is a new generation of South Fork lies, backstabbing, deceit and greed. For the older generation who enjoyed the original series, there is enough continuity and history in the show to keep you intrigued. However, it is the new generation of Ewing's that have history repeating, and with delight! In my opinion, it is certainly the aged cast that intrigues me the most, and know that the show will heavily rely on the new blood. That doesn't mean that J.R., Bobbie and Sue Ellen won't have their moments to shine. John Ross, and Christopher Ewing are at the forefront of this new series, and there is much to say about the sibling rivalry of the past, coming forth into this cousin rivalry. I think the writing was well done, the opening sequence was similar enough to the original for the die hard fans, and the new cast certainly has a lot to live up to, and I think they will soar! I look forward to many more episodes, and perhaps some other cameos.....

Welcome Back..JR & BOBBY I actually missed you..

Author: twalloee from Norway.oslo
14 June 2012

Almost 20 years since last time i saw Dallas. John Ross & Christofer kicks off where Bobby & Jr left back in 1991. I really liked the new Dallas, John Ross & Christofer fits their role. Nice to see Jr & Bobby again. I was a huge Dallas fan back in the days. And I really looks forward to see more. They are older but so I'm I.. But feel that Dallas 2012 will focus on John Ross battle with Christofer and SF ranch rights. John Ross has secretly drilling for oil on SF, and struck huge finding. But as miss Ellie claimed, NO drilling on SF. There's the twist. There is also some back feuds coming up to the surface regarding John Ross & Christofer. Hell, like father like son.

Cant wait to see more..

This has a potential of being better than the original

Author: Bob-45 from Savannah, GA
16 June 2012

I started watching "Dallas" in the fall of 1978; frankly, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to watch Victoria Principal rise up out of the pool, practically bursting out of a black swimsuit. I quit watching "Dallas" the season after the death of "Jock Ewing" (the late, great Jim Davis). The show was never the same after Davis' death and the scripts began repeating themselves; only the characters involved changed ("JR" and "Bobby" nearly die in a plane crash; "Dusty Farlow" is crippled in a plane crash; "Pam's mother" dies in a plane crash. Give me a break.) However, I couldn't keep myself away from watching the "Dallas" reunion a few years back; I was pretty shocked how bad Victoria Principal looked, though she still had that heart-stopping figure. Anyway, I was curious to see how the updated version would be; and I have to admit, I am pleased. While the epic dramatic tension and warmth has not yet appeared (and none of the women can hold a candle to the young VP), the plot machinations are, if anything, better than the original show. Clearly, "John Ross" and "Christopher are MUCH more complex characters than "JR" and "Bobby," and "Elena" (Jordana Brewster) promises to essay a much stronger woman than "Pam Barnes (Victoria Principal)and clearly won't be saddled with the "Goody Two-Shoes" passivity which, I am sure frustrated Principal and led to her dramatic departure from the show. It is clear much of the dramatic conflict of future episodes will revolve around the "lover's triangle" of "Elena," "John Ross" and "Christopher," and that is a good thing. This trio promise to become compelling enough to eventually carry the show as "Bobby," "Sue Ellen" and "JR" leave by attrition. After all, Larry Hagman is 80 years old and has been in poor health.

On a less positive note, I am really disheartened that David Jacobs, who created "Dallas," has been, reportedly, very badly treated by the new show's producers. I believe that is a mistake, as I read Jacob's book, "Dallas," which was published shortly after the premiere of the original show, and he is a VERY good writer. The book was much too raunchy for the 70s or 80s, but would past muster on any cable network now; though, even now, Jacobs' "Dallas," would probably feel much more at home on FX than TNT. No bother; the raunchy elements were not what made "Dallas" compelling; Jacobs ability to create memorable characters and situations was. I'm sure he could still teach these new producers a thing or two about creating compelling television. That being said, "Dallas" 2012 shows great promise and is off to a very good start. I give it a "7".

~Guilty Pleasure~

Author: blueeyes071011 from Arizona
16 June 2012

I would assume, at this point that, every one knows, at least a little of what Dallas (2012) is all about. I remember being a little girl, in Tennessee, and watching the original Dallas, with my mama. I loved it then, although,I didn't understand as much in the 80's as I do know. I have recently watched the older episodes, for nostalgic purposes, and loved them! The 2012 version is just as good!I am hooked! It is as dramatic, and beautiful, if not more, than the original! It is a "DRAMA"! I don't know what anyone excepted, when they turned on the T.V., but it delivers ALL desired and I am sure there is much MORE to come! :) I already know what my Wednesday nights will be. No comparison to some of the newer shows they have put on air. Dallas is my new guilty pleasure!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]