IMDb > Friends with Kids (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Friends with Kids

Friends with Kids More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

A nice effort but it kind of caves in on itself.

Author: Rockwell_Cronenberg from United States
12 December 2011

I hate when comedies try to be "real". For some reason a writer will feel that they know the secret to human beings that will totally connect with audiences and make them say, "Finally, someone gets it." Of course this never works and it always comes off as artificial and forced from the actors. Thankfully this doesn't happen so much here with Jennifer Westfeldt's directorial debut (she also wrote it). There are a few moments where this can slightly creep in, but for the most part it actually tackles things in a refreshing, honest way and I was surprised by that.

Of course the premise (two thirtysomething best friends decide to stop waiting and have a kid together) is straight from the rom-com horsecrap handbook, but there are some turns along the way that I thought were surprisingly dark and genuine for something with such a cheap, hokey idea. There are some scenes that key into the stupidity of it all and I was impressed with how Westfeldt's script delved into that. Then again the film does end up being a pretty standard rom-com at the end of it all, so it kind of takes a jab at itself in the end.

Westfeldt assembled a nice group of her actor friends to play out the parts, but unfortunately she didn't have the smarts to cast someone other than herself in the lead. Her co-lead Adam Scott and the supporting cast are all fantastic here, in particular Jon Hamm who steals the entire movie as far as I'm concerned, but the director herself is a very cold and robotic actor. It was hard to feel anything for her or her dynamic with Scott when I couldn't even buy her as a real person. Overall though, this is a solid film of it's type with slightly better writing, a great cast for the most part and unfortunately one god awful ending.

A new genre, the anti-romantic comedy. Funny, and a frank antidote to romance

Author: smacarte from United States
15 March 2012

Pickings are slim for grown-up movies and that's what this is. So bought my ticket and was not disappointed. It's a movie for grown-ups, sharp and funny. The thing is, there's barely a whisper of romance or spark of chemistry in the whole set-up. Much focus is on women's bodies, their breasts, their pelvic muscles, their kegel exercises. This kind of frankness is extended to the marital experience of the shared bathroom, frustration of shared chores, mom's post-pregnancy body and baby poo. Funny? Actually, yes. Light or romantic, not for a moment.

The story didn't head in the direction I expected, given the title. It's not a sly comedy or satire of parenthood or how the experience changes a person or a couple. It's more like a story of Friends with Benefits. But the cast is great and it's not formulaic. On the whole, worthwhile. A number of scenes are quite good.

Boring, predictable, and with main characters you'll hate

Author: sinisterene
15 July 2012

Funny moments are sparse, while opportunities for the director/screenwriter to remind you that the leads are better liberals than you (regardless of your political persuasion) are bountiful (and exist for no apparent reason).

All in all, the plot was boring, the ending predictable and the supporting actors used (Jon Hamm, Maya Rudolph, Kristen Wiig) had their talents wasted on a trivial plot that barely manages to make anyone laugh or care.

The only real spoiler for this movie is that it's neither funny nor good.

Marriage and family life as Hollywood imagines it

Author: rogerdob from United States
20 March 2012

Friends With Kids is marriage life as imagined by the Hollywood Elite. After seeing this film, if one didn't live in the real world, one might think that marriage is an awful state to be in, kids are nothing more than annoying pets, crude talk is completely commonplace, and that love is the same as sex.

It feels that this movie was written by someone who was never married...and, it turns out, it was! Hollywood has become so distanced from the real world of middle class people that they think their world is mainstream. The average family loves their kids, cannot afford nannies, believes in the commitment of marriage, and understands that real love between two people is not just an expression that can be only conveyed in the act of sex.

Adam Scott as the lead actor only has a few expressions which he uses over and over again. Jennifer Westfeldt, as the annoying lead female, is far too in love with herself...she wrote the movie, directed the movie, and gives herself the majority of screen time

Not great at all

Author: Paul Stokes from United Kingdom
13 July 2012

*WARNING!! MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS* I just couldn't buy into this film at all. I really wanted to enjoy it because I like Adam Scott and I'm one of Chris O'Dowd's biggest fans. However, the script is weak and it all ends rather suddenly. I knew where it was going after about 20 minutes and I wasn't wrong.

Despite liking Adam Scott as an actor, I really didn't like his character. There was something about him which made me want to punch him in the face. Jennifer Westfeldt is average in it and I had no urge at any point to punch her. The comedic talents of Chris O'Dowd are wasted which is a shame because he could have brought a lot more to the film. The same goes for Kristen Wiig; we never get to see her at her hilarious best. Megan Fox is beautiful as ever but rather irritating.

The plot is thin and just lacked realism. It was also far too predictable and I spent most of the time guessing (usually correctly) what was about to happen.

All in all, this film is poor but it could have been so much better if the actors had been put to better use.

So good until the final fifteen minutes falls into RomCom cliché hell.

Author: DJRMewzique from Canada
10 March 2012

"Friends With Kids" starts off as a wonderfully entertaining, very funny and truly smart film about two close friends who do the unconventional and decide to have a baby together...as friends. Unfortunately what starts off as a great, strong, original comedy soon downward spirals into the unfortunate abyss of RomCom hell.

What sparks this decision? The fact that they watched their four closest friends, two couples, go through relationship hell due to the onset of...children. The couple who used to have sex in bathrooms hardly talk to each other and the happy-go-lucky couple do nothing but bicker.

So Julie and Jason figure they might as well have a kid together, skipping the affect this has on a relationship, as they can simply continue to date others. In other words, they skipped marriage and went right to the divorce.

Jennifer Westfeldt plays Julie but also wrote and directed this film. You might recognize her from the fantastic-but-short-lived comedy "Notes from the Underbelly" or the eighth season of "24," but she also wrote the excellent film "Kissing Jessica Stein," this film somewhat proving that "Stein" was not a fluke.

Westfeldt could be a comedic force to be reckoned with. If she avoids any further Hollywood trappings.

FWK, as mentioned, does start off in an excellent fashion. An honest, funny, harsh, crude look at child rearing for Gen Y. And even though it has been getting some criticisms for making it look like children will ruin any relationship, that is not the point Westfeldt was trying to make in some sort of blanket statement. She was looking at just a specific group of friends, and what a great bunch they are! "Parks and Recreation" star Adam Scott takes the lead as Jason, Julie's platonic baby daddy. SNL-alum and "Bridesmaids" star Maya Rudolph is the highly stressed and easily irritated Leslie while "Bridesmaids"'s Chris O'Dowd plays her slacker husband. As for the other couple, it is just unfortunate they didn't get more screen time, both having been slightly under-utilized: the magnificent Kirsten Wiig (SNL) and Jon Hamm (Mad Men) as the once-over-sexed-and-now-over-drinking couple who are unravelling, both also having starred in that little film called...."Bridesmaids." Jon Hamm also has the distinction of being Jennifer Westfeldt's husband....in real life.

Sadly, what starts off as a hilarious and irreverent comedy about love, marriage and babies, culminating in a wonderfully executed stand-off between friends at a cabin in Vermont, suddenly takes an all-too familiar and completely unnecessary clichéd Hollywood turn as (SPOLIER ALERT!) what was once platonic suddenly changes to something not so platonic, completely ruining the wonderful flow of an otherwise excellent comedy.

If Westfeldt had only kept friends as friends, this may have been a far more memorable and original film, but she inexplicably decided to make one wrong turn, leaving this film with an ending equal to that of a huge stack of useless RomComs. An utterly disappointing predictable end to a film that was, up until the last fifteen minutes, a truly great comedy of higher-than-usual standard.

When Harry meet Sally and had a baby

Author: David Tuck from United Kingdom
7 December 2011

Okay,I wasn't going to say anything but I was so baffled by the other reviews I feel compelled.

This film isn't, just in case you were wondering,' untouched genius'. It's simply , okay. It's like watching people who are quite nice going through a storyline which is slightly familiar. No alarms and no surprises.

I don't wish to add spoilers but one crucial scene which for me explains all the films weaknesses is this; Jennifer Westfeldt looks at herself in the mirror wearing a pair of heels, she decides she doesn't like them , so takes them off and puts on a pair of boots which zip up the side. She sits down on a bed and puts them on, one at a time, then once again she looks at herself in the mirror. This time she is happy with her choice. This is shot in real time, and if memory serves correctly without an edit. Takes about 45 secs. When you write , direct and star [ especially when you haven't been in a movie for a while] ,screen time must be very exciting but filming yourself looking at yourself , pretty explains the whole movie for me.

There's a good reason Kristen Wigg features on the poster, Bridesmaids made millions, she's funny and has got game.

But imagine being in the marketing meeting where you had to explain to Jennifer why her face wouldn't be appearing in any of the advertisements for the film she wrote, directed and starred in. Ouch, that must have been a tough day for her.

Hitting the nail on the head - for me anyway

Author: obijazz from United Kingdom
23 December 2012

As with any film, we bring to it as much as we take away, so I'm guessing this is why I thought Friends with Kids was a beautifully written and executed tale of modern love, friendship and family, whereas many people (it seems), thought otherwise. To set the scene of my particular disposition, I'm in my late 30's, female, I don't want children, have many friends with them and see only stress and unhappiness when I'm around them. So the opening 45 minutes was pretty must grist to my particular mill. And then, three lovely moments were subtly conveyed in the remainder of the film, there were no fanfares, or big shiny signposts, which made it all the better. I'm not going to say what they are, dare you to find them for yourselves. All I can say is, for me, the film got love just right and actually made me slightly (very very slightly) broody. This is the kind of film which I think is rarely done well, and whilst there's always room for Sci-fi, thriller and horror (in my world at least), a well observed, funny and moving commentary on the human state that you can relate to is what I think filmmakers should be most proud to do. It makes you think, it makes you feel part of something more.

Had some good moments, but it's not enough

Author: bastian8021 from China
7 January 2012

I was really trying to get into the story and the characters, but the lack of chemistry between the main actors was too obvious and therefore destroying the atmosphere. Could have been much better... Megan Fox was a miscast on that one, too shallow and no chemistry with Adam Scott, they had some awkward scenes together. In Scenes, where all the cast members appear together are quite good, nice lines and the interaction between them was enough to sit it through but this moments where not many. Had some good moments, but it's not enough... So don't expect too much. Chris O'Dowd was quite funny as always. Also the part for Edward Burns as the perfect man was good written and he delivered it.

Decent attempt but falls short

Author: Pranay Mehrotra from India
5 October 2012

There isn't a plot really, the story is really predictable, even though it's different. But in fact, I did not really lose interest and rather felt my time passed by pretty well. The supporting stuff have given some wonderful performances, Edward Burns as the perfect man/potential-husband, and Megan Fox as the perfect girlfriend. But the lead pair could have done better.

One thing that is horrible about the movie is the ending. One of the most horrible endings there could have been, the director tries to be unconventional but fails miserably. MISERABLY. If only the scene went differently I would actually be recommending this movie to those tired of old stuff.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]