Train Wrecks

Author: Gretta from United States
21 January 2011

I watched two episodes and gave it a chance but it was just too unbearable to keep watching. Like most reality TV, all of the characters seem shallow and to have no substance. One of the episodes I viewed was an entire evening spent yelling at each other. I really feel sorry for them. Occasionally you see the actions of a real person shine through, but it's rare. I don't understand why anyone would want to watch a bunch of sad people with low self-esteems be cruel to each other all day. I think all of those women need to go on a spiritual retreat, leaving their designer bags and make-up behind before they spend their last day on Earth thinking, "What did I do with my life?"

Professional Wrestling for the Soul?

Author: sciacca1 from United States
26 November 2013

Watching last night's episode it hit me why I watch these aging women back stab, gossip, and ridicule one another like Gloria Steinem squeezed into her playboy bunny costume and tight heals that pinch toes until they bleed. They are in pain, I mean real pain. Like Gloria, part of me wants to save them, but the bigger stronger part of me knows it is just too late for these old broads. Their fierce anger is palpable. It must be excruciating to try to look and dress like an 18 year old when 50! It is all down hill from here for these girls. This show reminds me of professional wrestling. (Although this might be an insult to professional wrestling). With all the over the top outfits and fake fighting. I mean come on! These petty snipes and self centered bickering cannot be real. Right? I would love to see a spoof on one the networks just go for it. Over the top drag queens yearning for their youth. Queens who never matured emotionally, striking a chord in the archetypal collective heart, longing for youth and empathy; yet just cannot give any empathy to anyone and I mean ever! Wishing, if only I could just be 18 again. I could really get into that show. This one, I do not think I can stomach anymore. This show is achingly bad!

Nothing admirable or memorable about these phony woman and cohorts

Author: damepdx from Palm Springs ca
5 February 2014

This show and especially Carlton need to be put in the trash! Enough already! The women are offensive and do nothing but bicker and spend money shamelessly . Their husbands are worse as they stand by and watch the insanity. Brandi should be locked up and her mouth sewed shut! David Foster - SHAME ON YOU ! You should be smarter than this . Bravo has THE BEST SHOW in TOP CHEF . Why pollute the channel with RHBH and Van Der Plump Rules ( an even WORSE travesty) when you can have quality shows such as Top Chef? I don't get it? The show is bordering on disgusting this year . Will not be watching as it is too offensive and boring.

Obvious Formula & One Trick Ponies

Author: Vlad_the_Reviewer from Netherlands
23 April 2014

INTRODUCTION

The real housewives of Beverly Hills is a 'Reality Show'. Some major events occurred such as the suicide of the spouse of one of the actresses and the divorce of Adrienne Maloof. Other than that, most drama wasn't that spontaneous although not everything is scripted in detail. Some real life friendships were broken in most unpleasant ways as well.

CASTING/SELECTION

It becomes apparent how the casting works. Basically all stars of this show know each other. Kyle Richards knows some of the ladies because they were clients of her husband, a real estate agent. Kim Richards is a sister of Kyle Richards. Dana Wilkey, a former guest star, is a real life friend of Taylor Armstrong. And so forth. They are all connected.

SCRIPTING

I've read that the stars have only a few hours per episode to prepare. So not everything is scripted in detail. However, it has been implied that the actresses have to make their own storyline. Because of the absence of Dana Wilkey I searched for an explanation. Turns out she wasn't asked to return because she didn't make her own (interesting) storyline. That's a major hint on how things work. For a bigger part the stars have to invent their own character and keep it interesting.

PERSONAL INTEREST

Another thing that revealed itself gradually is the motivation for the actresses to participate. Money seems to be the obvious answer, but that's not all. This show serves as a platform for the women to launch their own products, shops, programs, books and restaurants or to re-launch their acting career. Yolanda Forster used the show as a platform to raise awareness for Lyme disease, which she suffers from. Later it becomes a platform to promote her two daughters' modeling career.

MODUS OPERANDI: ONE TRICK PONIES

To create drama, things were escalated often out of nowhere, so it seems. More on that later. For example Brandi calling Joyce constantly 'Jacqueline', Kyle who pretends not to see the difference between a Witch Pentagram and a Star of David and when Carlton (the Witch) complained about it she got accused of anti-Semitism. During a dinner party, somebody calls somebody a fat pig out of nowhere. Brandi Glanville's (evil) ways is legendary by now.

Also the emotions are the same. Kyle's way of looking disgruntled is her trademark. Lisa V's attempts to cry (or to faint) is laughable. Eileen Davidson's level headed demeanor has become a bore to me. Cautious hustling Lisa Rina is a bit cowardly for my taste but she's popular, I get it. In general people perform their shtick so bad, it's sometimes toe cringing. But then again, the perfection is in the imperfection in reality shows.

But some things are real, such as the troublesome relationship between the sisters Kim and Kyle. I find this truly heartbreaking and feel Bravo should not pursue this angle ever (again). Nor would I encourage Bravo to pursue Kim's (lack of) sobriety again as well.

MORE ON THE DRAMA

Basically in every season and episode, the drama was setup quite structurally. For example the show involves us in the preparation of a nice party, get-together, boat trip, meeting, you name it. The second step is giving us hints what tensions could arise at said event. The third step is the event itself and the drama that unfolds.

CONCLUSION

I think RHOBH created a lot of winners: the actresses, the Botox companies, and it created a fan-base for each of the participants. Nevertheless, I rate the show a 4 out of 10. The modus operandi to create drama was the same. I didn't see enough of the 'Beverly Hills luxury life' and the actresses were too much of one-trick-ponies.

Having seen it up to and including season 5, I would welcome less negative vibes during the episodes. Sometimes it's a little bit too much. Less on the drama, more on the grand estates, awesome walk-in closets, man-caves, cars, foods, bling, fashion, nice restaurants, lifestyle, smiles.

"Real Housewives" escapism at its finest!

Author: Sue from United States
1 February 2011

I have followed every city's version of the Real Housewives franchise and believe this is the most intriguing and addicting of the franchise thus far.

"Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" accomplishes superbly what the initial location - Orange County - set out to show the public: a peek behind the gates and into the lives of the fabulously wealthy. While the initial season of Orange County's opening credits featured an opening gate and a theme song reminiscent of that of "The Twilight-zone", Beverly Hills opens with a theme song as light and bubbly as the pink Veuve Cliqot Brut Rose served at Lisa Vanderpump's restaurant "Villa Blanca." Somehow this seems to convey that peeking into the luxurious worlds of the housewives doesn't feel as voyeuristic as it did when the franchise began.

The Beverly Hills series takes viewers behind the lives of some of the most awesomely wealthy households in America. The extravagances of daily living in Beverly HIlls are incomprehensible to most Americans outside of the 90210 zip code . . . private jets, personal limos, houses full of servants, nannies, cross-continental flights on a whim, and world-renowned designer ateliers on speed dial are just some of the mind-boggling aspects of life in Beverly Hills that make the series deliriously irresistible to viewers. While all of the Housewives series' have showcased those with extraordinary lifestyles, the extravagance of the Beverly HIlls lifestyle is like F. Scott Fitzgerald's Jay Gatsby to the nth power.

Along with the fabulousness of the Beverly HIlls ueberlife is the ueber-drama that accompanies it. Viewers will also find themselves intrigued to see the social foibles of the Hills' women and how they play out over the course of the season, culminating in an explosive finale that involves drama with family members, close friends, and mere acquaintances. At times it is difficult to remember that this portrays the real lives of real people, as the show does such a skillful job of removing the viewer from everyday reality with its portrayals. Each installment of Beverly Hills promises to keep viewers on their toes and attuned to the nuances of every character's mannerisms, conversations and body language, and eagerly anticipating the next week's episode.

Is your interest piqued yet? If you want to find out more, just watch what happens :)

More money, power, glamor, and jewelry!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
25 October 2010

I have to say that I like the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Of course, they are plastic but they appear likable. Let's start off with Adrienne Maloof who is married to a plastic surgeon and her family owns the Sacramento Kings basketball team and the Palms Casino and Hotel in Las Vegas. Then there is her neighbor and friend, British Lisa Vanderpump, who is married and they are business owners and entrepreneurs as well. Lisa has a gay trainer who moved from London to be with the family. They have two grown children. Then there is the sisters, Kim Richards and Kyle Richards, who were both actresses in the seventies and eighties. They became mothers and housewives. Each one has four children. Kyle is married and younger than Kim but acts more like the big sister than Kim does. Kim and Kyle are also maternal aunts to Paris Hilton as well. Then there is Taylor and of course, Camille Grammar, who is Kelsey Grammar's soon to be ex-wife. They are in the process of divorce. We only see Kelsey in the first episode before he jets to New York City to star on Broadway in La Cages Aux Folles. I prefer this show to NJ of course even though I live in NJ. At least, these housewives have some class, more money, and look fabulous than the other shows. They have just as much drama and are appealing too.

Better Than Other Housewives Shows

Author: rmschmidt71 from United States
16 October 2010

Initially I liked this show when I first turned it on. The mix of characters is interesting, and finding out about their lives was fun. Once they got together, the usual snide comments surfaced, and they all seem to like and dislike each other in equal proportions. The big mansions pall after awhile, and there is nothing in these women's lives that anyone would be jealous of. Only two seemed to have a stable marriage. The others were either divorced, teetering, or in the process, and one candidly admitted that hers was in trouble. I'll take my little house and my family over theirs anytime. I liked most of them, and I am reserving judgment on the others for now. If this turns into another debacle like New York or Atlanta, count me out, and don't mention New Jersey. Just the commercials for that make me cringe. All in all, it's not a great show, but it's entertaining, and certainly the best of the Housewife franchises. If you want to see bad manners, lavish homes, jewelry, and appalling plastic surgery this is your show. The woman with the weird mouth and too many teeth,looks like a clown, and not in a good way. If you like junk TV, this is your show. Masterpiece Theater it isn't, but it never aspired to be that. Take it for what it is, and take it or leave it. This one will probably be my guilty pleasure. For all that's wrong with it, there is a lot right with it. Most of them are likable and/or entertaining. Will I watch it every week? No, but then I don't eat chocolate every week either!

is this show still on TV, I cannot believe this show is still on

Author: hamoshame from United States
15 July 2016

throw all the episodes of the dinosaurs of Beverly hills back into the in the labia tar pits throw all the episodes of the dinosaurs of Beverly hills back into the in the labia tar pits throw all the episodes of the dinosaurs of Beverly hills back into the in the labia tar pits throw all the episodes of the dinosaurs of Beverly hills back into the in the labia tar pits throw all the episodes of the dinosaurs of Beverly hills back into the in the labia tar pits throw all the episodes of the dinosaurs of Beverly hills back into the in the labia tar pits throw all the episodes of the dinosaurs of Beverly hills back into the in the labia tar pits throw all the episodes of the dinosaurs of Beverly hills back into the in the labia tar pits throw all the episodes of the dinosaurs of Beverly hills back into the in the labia tar pits throw all the episodes of the dinosaurs of Beverly hills back into the in the labia tar pits

What better Reality TV could there possibly be?

Author: richardmolenschot from Amsterdam
30 July 2012

I completely understand why this series scores so low on the IMDb rating: it's trashy, cheap and fake.

And that's why it is so great! Not only a lot of vulgar bitchfights exceed the classy catfightscenes between Alexis Colby and Kristel Carrington in Dynasty in many ways, but there is so much more: betrayal, jealousy, addiction, cunning plastic surgery (!), adultery, abuse and suicide. And it's all real!

Well, at least to some extend. Not only do you hate the grotesque characters, you are also going to love theme and care. Fascinating how people perform in front of a camera.

If there was an adjective of the noun dramaqueen, it would be the first adjective to describe this series. Of all the spin-offs, to me 'Beverly Hills' is top of the bill. Hear, hear! :)

The BEST Reality Show (especially the best Real Housewives)

Author: mr-darcy-w from Australia
23 September 2012

This is the best reality, docu-drama show on TV. The reason I say this is, it seems to actually be real. The women on this show have their petty fights and spend big money, but they also have real issues that make their characters more rounded out, and makes this reality show actually seem real. They don't just fight over a sour comment (although they do that too), they have issues such as divorce, suicide, bankruptcy, and so on that are included on the show.

This show is also the best of the Real Housewives franchise. The cast isn't clearly divided into two specific teams, like say Atlanta or Season 4 of New York City. The women all have relationships with one another that aren't always based on their relationship with yet another woman, if that makes sense. There are no teams, there are genuine relationships. Even with the advance of new cast members, they seem to already be in the world of the existing cast, but they're just being brought into the show.

Overall, this show is unique because it's actually REAL, and doesn't at all come across as producer-devised or contrived. If you just want to understand reality TV, this is perfect. It is the best reality show on TV.