IMDb > "Mad" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Mad" More at IMDbPro »

When I was your age, MAD was still a magazine and we watched real TV.

Author: badstrong31 from United States
19 June 2011

Don't believe me??? Just read my review.

Okay, first of all, i know that this is a kid's show, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have to be funny. Now, I'm a child of the 90's, so I grew up with Nickolodeon before it became a sellout channel. We had "All That," "Kenan and Kel," "Invader Zim," etc. We also had "Beavis and Butthead," "Daria," "Futurama," "Greg the Bunny," and "King of the Hill." Now, I realize that this is a show aimed towards 7 to ten year old kids with the intent of being a more kid friendly version of one of my favorite shows: Robot Chicken. Only problem is, it's not funny. It's pretty much nothing but bad puns and lowbrow crude humor. I mean, the puns are REALLY bad. I mean, come on CSiCarly?! That's just pathetic by my standards. Now, for the toilet humor, I mentioned Beavis and Butthead, who were actually quite funny. But most of the humor came from their stupidity and their love of heavy metal, nachos, and chicks. 60% of the jokes in MAD involve zits, farts, poop, burps, blood, vomit etc. Crude humor can occasionally be funny, but if not properly executed it just makes you feel sick and disgusted, instead of making you laugh. Also, the voice acting is so freaking annoying. I mean, with Family Guy and Robot Chicken and the Simpsons, the voice actors are great and can do several voices. With MAD, the male announcer is basically a pompous sounding, annoying moron. The female lead is real annoying because, while she only has one voice which isn't really that remarkable, has done some pretty good stuff for some other shows such as Futurama and Family Guy (She was Brian's girlfriend) it's nothing new. It's the same voice and it gets real old real fast! With Seth McFarlane, Alex Borstein, and Nancy Cartwright, Mike Judge and Seth Green, they have such a repertoire of great voices. Now I've . I understand that this is kid's humor, but if you really want the truth, I think if I had a twelve year old son, I would much rather let him watch robot chicken than MAD, because dark comedy is better than toilet humor in my opinion, whether it's appropriate or not.

Painfully unfunny

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
3 September 2012

"Mad" is a painfully unfunny series which fails at making any kind of decent parody of even the easiest targets. In fact, this show fails at every single level, being one of the worst television series that I've seen in my entire life, being ugly, obnoxious, dumb and poorly made, having any single flaw that any program could have.

All the "parodies" done by this series are idiotic: Most of them consist in doing a stupid crossover without sense, or making one incredibly lame pun about two franchises with similar names, either way, the result is always something dire and completely unwatchable.

The animation of this series is terrible: Each chapter of Mad features different art styles, having all of them in common an almost unbelievable level of ugliness, with awful and unappealing designs and a horrible use of colors.

The most pathetic thing from "Mad" is the lame use of Internet memes, all of them which have been used to death in forums and image boards many years before the start of this series.

Honestly, there are many YouTube videos that are cleverer and make a better use of Internet memes than this atrocious show.

"Mad" is one of the worst programs that I've seen in my entire life. I would rate it with a negative score if I could.

Author: chaoman45 from United States
5 October 2011

I remember on Cartoon Network back in the late 90s that TV-Y7 was the norm. Sometimes PG, but only movies. Why does CN feel the need to shove out so many TV-PG shows out recently, especially if THIS is what happens?

Well, I watched an episode. Actually, I TRIED to watch MOST of the episode. Didn't happen. Maybe kids who appreciate the fact that they get to watch big boy stuff will enjoy the crudeness, but how this aired more than one episode is beyond me. Seriously, I bet the worst Teletubbies episode can outdo the best Mad episode.

Because of this, I'm going to rip off other shows like Robot Chicken and try to make it suitable enough for kids. Then, I'm going to replace any possible profound comedy with shock value actions like puking or turds blowing up or whatever the hell happens on a regular basis. Sounds lame? Because it is lame.

Ridiculously Unfunny Attempt at Parodies

Author: dylanmd
21 April 2011

This show reminds me a lot of Robot Chicken. Only difference: Robot Chicken is funny. Some might say that's because this show has to limit it's humor in order to be appropriate for kids, but seriously, it's not funny to anyone who is sane and over the age of five months. It's jokes consist of poorly made parodies with titles that are horrid, unfunny puns, pop-culture references, and low-brow humor about vomit, puke, saliva, and mucus. Now I'm not saying that it's bad for kids to be exposed to this humor, but shouldn't the humor be a little less childish? I think it would be much better if the target demographic was exposed to humor that isn't so ridiculous.

The first thing I will talk about is the voice acting. It's annoying and is a pain to everyone's ears. They use the same male voice actor and female voice actor ALL THE TIME. Robot Chicken does this, but at least their voice actors can do their job right and sound better. The male voice actor is, most of the time, a smug-sounding TV announcer that haunts me forever and the female voice actor does a wide range of voices, but she CANNOT pronounce her S's. She puts what to much emphasis on her S's. Whenever she says "what's up" it sounds more like "what'ssssssssssss up".

I will talk about the parodies now. They are extremely bad. First off, the "artwork" is TERRIBLE. It's mainly just the heads of the original actors with their eyes and mouths replaced with really ugly cartoon drawings and their bodies are also really ugly cartoon drawings. Plus, the creators are terrible at making lyrics for remixes of songs from the movies/shows they are parodying.

To finish up, I will talk about the other types of humor. They constantly add Spy vs Spy to every episode, but none of the Spy vs Spy skits are any good. It's all humor stolen directly from Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry, only it's made to be much worse. Then you have fart, poop, boogers, vomit, and spit jokes. The worst jokes of them all. Almost every single "reject (blahblahblah)" skit involves making a character/toy/food that involves pooping/peeing/vomiting/boogers.

Basically: Don't watch this show unless you enjoy torturing yourself.

TILLY! Did you make this show? CAUSE ITS GARBAGE!

Author: Ameph from Cleveland
10 November 2011

Ah, so Cartoon Network has shows that have been very successful lately. We have Regular Show and Adventure Time and the Friday Night Line-up is also strong.

Then, we have this...A show that's similar to Robot Chicken that jumps from skit to skit with its basis on humor. It uses a mix of animation with celebrity heads on cartoon figures, fully drawn cartoon skits and the occasional CGI or puppet. The animation is lazy but its still good to look at. However, a show is only as good as its writing. Surely, a show that's similar to Robot Chicken and comes on after Adventure Time and Regular Show should have good writing.

It does not.

Most of the skits in this show consist of taking another TV show or movie and combining it with something else so it rhymes. Then they attempt to combine the characters to make jokes about both shows. However, they tend to lean one direction in terms of the jokes and they simply are not funny. In between some of the skits, they have these 10 second skits which are also not funny at all. Its just a play on words or a poorly done visual gag. Even Spy vs. Spy has no luster with the spies only making one or two twists rather than the 4 or 5 twists in the magazine.

Now, I know you're thinking ''re a 25 year old guy watching cartoons. What do you know about cartoons?' which I reply, 'I've watched cartoons for 25 years of my life. I know what makes a cartoon good.' and frankly, there is absolutely nothing good about this show. There is the occasional rare skit that turned out to be funny or clever (Namely, the Halloween special had the Nightmare Kitchen before Christmas and Veggie Tales from the Crypt) but given that the show's target age group is about 12 and under, would they really know anything about Nightmare Before Christmas, Veggie Tales or Tales from the Crypt? Those are well before their time...

In the end, this show is downright terrible. The jokes are terrible and aren't funny, the animation is sloppy and lazy and the voices are forgettable. Why its still on the air is a true mystery. They should put Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated in that slot so they can solve that one.

Just like the magazine, you gotta be a kid to like it.

Author: dookie43 from United States
4 September 2011

I don't know what most of the negative reviewers were expecting. I saw the same things they saw: juvenile, silly, and shallow humor...just like the magazine. It's so very like the magazine that I keep expecting to fold the inside back cover to get the last joke. My only regret is not being 12 yrs old again to truly appreciate it.

It's never going to be mature enough to be on adult swim, but that's fine. There has to be something in the middle for the early teens to laugh at. That's how Mad Magazine found an audience in the first place. If you're over 15 and watching this, go watch the onion or some monty python. This isn't for you.

Robot Chicken if it was an aborted fetus

Author: basato92 from Canada
10 September 2011

Just when you thought Cartoon Network, oh excuse me, CN couldn't get any worse, they air this pile of monkey feces. You wouldn't believe how awful this show is unless you watched it yourself, I watched a couple of them and my brain felt numb after seeing just one.

The parodies consist of mashing up two or more pieces of pop culture with an idiotic, lazily thought up puns for titles like Mouse MD or Naru210 or Jersey Thor. Barely any of these made me laugh, truthfully the scenarios and jokes could work if it was done by people who had an actual sense of humor. These skits are reminiscent of the disastrous travesties made by Seltzer & Friedberg; same lazily inspired parodies where they barely know nothing about what they're parodying, we're expected to laugh simply because they're there and because they mash these references together. Actual jokes? References to the subject being satirized? Who needs that when you could just come up with lame, nonsensical drivel and pass it off as satire.

Perhaps the worst thing about this show is the animation, Oh my Lord this makes Adventure Time look like Paprika. If you watched these you'd swear it was one of those awful youtube animations. How did these people even get into the animation industry? The designs for celebrity live action characters look like Saddam & Mel Gibson from South Park, only badly done and unfunny.

Here's my proposal to those in charge of CN because obviously they're gonna read this review, hire people who actually have a brain, a sense of humor and respect for the audience. Stop hiring fresh out of college rookies to be in charge of shows and please do not hire stoners. Watch some of your classic programming that put your channel on the map, see what they did and try to follow their example by coming up with creative concepts, lovable characters and material that people of all ages can enjoy. While Adventure Time & Regular Show are mediocre, they're a step in the right direction, but MAD is ten steps back.

I Love "MAD"

Author: paulnuti from Wyckoff NJ
15 August 2015

Hey Guys It's me RegaulrShow1 here again and today I'm going to review Cartoon Network's "MAD". "MAD" is a sketch comedy that aired on Cartoon Network from September 6,2010 to December 2,2013. The first episode is called "Avaturd/CSicarly which aired on Cartoon Network on Labor Day 2010 at 8:30PMET/7:30PMCT. I really love "MAD" it's very funny but a lot of people say it a Robot Chicken rip off but it's really isn't a rip off guys is has one of the same writes from "Robot Chicken". Anyway my favorite sketch is "Gross and Beyond Gross" and "Celebrities without Their Make Up". I also love the "MAD" News Guy who usually starts the episode. BOTTOM LINE: I Love "MAD" and I'm giving it a 10 out 10 stars. Anyway Guys I'm RegularShow1 and have nice day. BYE.

Mad always will be one of the best shows!

Author: fatemodder121 from United States
19 February 2015

Please don't listen to all of the haters on this site, MAD is one of the funniest, wittiest, and most creative kid shows I've ever seen. I remember being very sad when Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends got cancelled. I thought the Golden Age of Cartoon Network was over, but along came this show called Mad, which made me realize that Cartoon Network can still make hilarious shows no matter what. For those who don't know, Mad is a 15-minute sketch comedy that parodies things like movies, TV shows, celebrities, and current events. Every episode is made up of many 5-second to 1-minute segments. A lot of people have been calling it a "rip-off of Robot Chicken", but the truth is Mad and Robot Chicken are not the same thing. It's like comparing apples to oranges, they're both fruit, but they have different tastes and textures. Mad is far different from Robot Chicken (depsite the creator being a former writer), it is based off of Mad magazine and is like if the magazine came to life on your screen. Mad used every kind of animation, including traditional animation, stop-motion, claymation, CGI, even occasional puppets. I've seen every episode of Mad, and even though I don't get a few of the references, I can find humor in all of them. The voice acting is also very good because the voice actors often sound like the people they're spoofing, for example Kevin Shinick, the creator and main voice actor, can sound like many different celebrities and fictional characters from Nicholas Cage to Fred Flintstone. People also say that Mad uses too much toilet humor, but remember, Mad is a KID'S show, kid shows are known for using toilet humor and the magazine also uses plenty of it as well. I haven't read one Mad magazine without a fart joke in it, and by the way, certain "adult" cartoons like Family Guy overuse toilet humor a lot more than Mad does. I also really like the Spy vs. Spy segments, because they remind me of the magazine, which I also really like. I think the funniest thing about Mad is the parodies, I could seriously go on all day listing every Mad sketch I find funny. Most vintage and modern day Cartoon Network shows only have occasional funny moments. I also remember being very upset when I found out Mad got cancelled, I loved the show so much and was very disappointed to see it go. It just saddens me to think that Cartoon Network gave Annoying Orange another season, but cancelled this hilarious show. Don't you think that orange has overstayed his welcome?! I know I do. All in all, Mad was one of the best shows to ever hit the channel, and I will make sure to watch reruns on days I am feeling down, because this show always cheers me up.

This was awesome!

Author: Nick-165-80721 from United States
16 December 2014

This was possibly the most hated show on Cartoon Network, but I'm not on those haters side because it was funny! I can't believe Cartoon Network ended this and brought in some junky shows like "Clarence". The parodies and everything were neat and hilarious, like example, there was one episode where the Green Lantern becomes the Green Care bear! And there was another one where Garfield invents a no Monday calender! There was also one where they parody "Move like Jagger" into Move like Jabba! There's also one where instead of "The adventures of Tin-Tin", The adventures of Taun-Taun. If only Cartoon Network can bring shows like this back because now a days, there's the awful show "Uncle Grandpa" and the even worse show "Clarence". I'm not listening to haters of this show it's Awesome, funny, and pretty epic.