IMDb > "Mad" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Mad" More at IMDbPro »

When I was your age, MAD was still a magazine and we watched real TV.

Author: badstrong31 from United States
19 June 2011

Don't believe me??? Just read my review.

Okay, first of all, i know that this is a kid's show, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have to be funny. Now, I'm a child of the 90's, so I grew up with Nickolodeon before it became a sellout channel. We had "All That," "Kenan and Kel," "Invader Zim," etc. We also had "Beavis and Butthead," "Daria," "Futurama," "Greg the Bunny," and "King of the Hill." Now, I realize that this is a show aimed towards 7 to ten year old kids with the intent of being a more kid friendly version of one of my favorite shows: Robot Chicken. Only problem is, it's not funny. It's pretty much nothing but bad puns and lowbrow crude humor. I mean, the puns are REALLY bad. I mean, come on CSiCarly?! That's just pathetic by my standards. Now, for the toilet humor, I mentioned Beavis and Butthead, who were actually quite funny. But most of the humor came from their stupidity and their love of heavy metal, nachos, and chicks. 60% of the jokes in MAD involve zits, farts, poop, burps, blood, vomit etc. Crude humor can occasionally be funny, but if not properly executed it just makes you feel sick and disgusted, instead of making you laugh. Also, the voice acting is so freaking annoying. I mean, with Family Guy and Robot Chicken and the Simpsons, the voice actors are great and can do several voices. With MAD, the male announcer is basically a pompous sounding, annoying moron. The female lead is real annoying because, while she only has one voice which isn't really that remarkable, has done some pretty good stuff for some other shows such as Futurama and Family Guy (She was Brian's girlfriend) it's nothing new. It's the same voice and it gets real old real fast! With Seth McFarlane, Alex Borstein, and Nancy Cartwright, Mike Judge and Seth Green, they have such a repertoire of great voices. Now I've . I understand that this is kid's humor, but if you really want the truth, I think if I had a twelve year old son, I would much rather let him watch robot chicken than MAD, because dark comedy is better than toilet humor in my opinion, whether it's appropriate or not.

Painfully unfunny

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
3 September 2012

"Mad" is a painfully unfunny series which fails at making any kind of decent parody of even the easiest targets. In fact, this show fails at every single level, being one of the worst television series that I've seen in my entire life, being ugly, obnoxious, dumb and poorly made, having any single flaw that any program could have.

All the "parodies" done by this series are idiotic: Most of them consist in doing a stupid crossover without sense, or making one incredibly lame pun about two franchises with similar names, either way, the result is always something dire and completely unwatchable.

The animation of this series is terrible: Each chapter of Mad features different art styles, having all of them in common an almost unbelievable level of ugliness, with awful and unappealing designs and a horrible use of colors.

The most pathetic thing from "Mad" is the lame use of Internet memes, all of them which have been used to death in forums and image boards many years before the start of this series.

Honestly, there are many YouTube videos that are cleverer and make a better use of Internet memes than this atrocious show.

"Mad" is one of the worst programs that I've seen in my entire life. I would rate it with a negative score if I could.

Uhhhhh

Author: chaoman45 from United States
5 October 2011

I remember on Cartoon Network back in the late 90s that TV-Y7 was the norm. Sometimes PG, but only movies. Why does CN feel the need to shove out so many TV-PG shows out recently, especially if THIS is what happens?

Well, I watched an episode. Actually, I TRIED to watch MOST of the episode. Didn't happen. Maybe kids who appreciate the fact that they get to watch big boy stuff will enjoy the crudeness, but how this aired more than one episode is beyond me. Seriously, I bet the worst Teletubbies episode can outdo the best Mad episode.

Because of this, I'm going to rip off other shows like Robot Chicken and try to make it suitable enough for kids. Then, I'm going to replace any possible profound comedy with shock value actions like puking or turds blowing up or whatever the hell happens on a regular basis. Sounds lame? Because it is lame.

Ridiculously Unfunny Attempt at Parodies

Author: dylanmd
21 April 2011

This show reminds me a lot of Robot Chicken. Only difference: Robot Chicken is funny. Some might say that's because this show has to limit it's humor in order to be appropriate for kids, but seriously, it's not funny to anyone who is sane and over the age of five months. It's jokes consist of poorly made parodies with titles that are horrid, unfunny puns, pop-culture references, and low-brow humor about vomit, puke, saliva, and mucus. Now I'm not saying that it's bad for kids to be exposed to this humor, but shouldn't the humor be a little less childish? I think it would be much better if the target demographic was exposed to humor that isn't so ridiculous.

The first thing I will talk about is the voice acting. It's annoying and is a pain to everyone's ears. They use the same male voice actor and female voice actor ALL THE TIME. Robot Chicken does this, but at least their voice actors can do their job right and sound better. The male voice actor is, most of the time, a smug-sounding TV announcer that haunts me forever and the female voice actor does a wide range of voices, but she CANNOT pronounce her S's. She puts what to much emphasis on her S's. Whenever she says "what's up" it sounds more like "what'ssssssssssss up".

I will talk about the parodies now. They are extremely bad. First off, the "artwork" is TERRIBLE. It's mainly just the heads of the original actors with their eyes and mouths replaced with really ugly cartoon drawings and their bodies are also really ugly cartoon drawings. Plus, the creators are terrible at making lyrics for remixes of songs from the movies/shows they are parodying.

To finish up, I will talk about the other types of humor. They constantly add Spy vs Spy to every episode, but none of the Spy vs Spy skits are any good. It's all humor stolen directly from Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry, only it's made to be much worse. Then you have fart, poop, boogers, vomit, and spit jokes. The worst jokes of them all. Almost every single "reject (blahblahblah)" skit involves making a character/toy/food that involves pooping/peeing/vomiting/boogers.

Basically: Don't watch this show unless you enjoy torturing yourself.

Robot Chicken if it was an aborted fetus

Author: basato92 from Canada
10 September 2011

Just when you thought Cartoon Network, oh excuse me, CN couldn't get any worse, they air this pile of monkey feces. You wouldn't believe how awful this show is unless you watched it yourself, I watched a couple of them and my brain felt numb after seeing just one.

The parodies consist of mashing up two or more pieces of pop culture with an idiotic, lazily thought up puns for titles like Mouse MD or Naru210 or Jersey Thor. Barely any of these made me laugh, truthfully the scenarios and jokes could work if it was done by people who had an actual sense of humor. These skits are reminiscent of the disastrous travesties made by Seltzer & Friedberg; same lazily inspired parodies where they barely know nothing about what they're parodying, we're expected to laugh simply because they're there and because they mash these references together. Actual jokes? References to the subject being satirized? Who needs that when you could just come up with lame, nonsensical drivel and pass it off as satire.

Perhaps the worst thing about this show is the animation, Oh my Lord this makes Adventure Time look like Paprika. If you watched these you'd swear it was one of those awful youtube animations. How did these people even get into the animation industry? The designs for celebrity live action characters look like Saddam & Mel Gibson from South Park, only badly done and unfunny.

Here's my proposal to those in charge of CN because obviously they're gonna read this review, hire people who actually have a brain, a sense of humor and respect for the audience. Stop hiring fresh out of college rookies to be in charge of shows and please do not hire stoners. Watch some of your classic programming that put your channel on the map, see what they did and try to follow their example by coming up with creative concepts, lovable characters and material that people of all ages can enjoy. While Adventure Time & Regular Show are mediocre, they're a step in the right direction, but MAD is ten steps back.

Mad always will be one of the best shows!

Author: fatemodder121 from United States
19 February 2015

Please don't listen to all of the haters on this site, MAD is one of the funniest, wittiest, and most creative kid shows I've ever seen. I remember being very sad when Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends got cancelled. I thought the Golden Age of Cartoon Network was over, but along came this show called Mad, which made me realize that Cartoon Network can still make hilarious shows no matter what. For those who don't know, Mad is a 15-minute sketch comedy that parodies things like movies, TV shows, celebrities, and current events. Every episode is made up of many 5-second to 1-minute segments. A lot of people have been calling it a "rip-off of Robot Chicken", but the truth is Mad and Robot Chicken are not the same thing. It's like comparing apples to oranges, they're both fruit, but they have different tastes and textures. Mad is far different from Robot Chicken (depsite the creator being a former writer), it is based off of Mad magazine and is like if the magazine came to life on your screen. Mad used every kind of animation, including traditional animation, stop-motion, claymation, CGI, even occasional puppets. I've seen every episode of Mad, and even though I don't get a few of the references, I can find humor in all of them. The voice acting is also very good because the voice actors often sound like the people they're spoofing, for example Kevin Shinick, the creator and main voice actor, can sound like many different celebrities and fictional characters from Nicholas Cage to Fred Flintstone. People also say that Mad uses too much toilet humor, but remember, Mad is a KID'S show, kid shows are known for using toilet humor and the magazine also uses plenty of it as well. I haven't read one Mad magazine without a fart joke in it, and by the way, certain "adult" cartoons like Family Guy overuse toilet humor a lot more than Mad does. I also really like the Spy vs. Spy segments, because they remind me of the magazine, which I also really like. I think the funniest thing about Mad is the parodies, I could seriously go on all day listing every Mad sketch I find funny. Most vintage and modern day Cartoon Network shows only have occasional funny moments. I also remember being very upset when I found out Mad got cancelled, I loved the show so much and was very disappointed to see it go. It just saddens me to think that Cartoon Network gave Annoying Orange another season, but cancelled this hilarious show. Don't you think that orange has overstayed his welcome?! I know I do. All in all, Mad was one of the best shows to ever hit the channel, and I will make sure to watch reruns on days I am feeling down, because this show always cheers me up.

cartoon network's 15 minute animated sketch comedy prime time series based on mad magazine.

Author: talarisw from United States
17 November 2011

I'm a huge fan of mad magazine and it's great to see an mad cartoon show on cartoon network, but as a geek I debate how faithful it is to the magazine. But overall it does a good job at staying true to the magazine in essence, but it's not exactly like the magazine. The show is aimed at a more younger audience then the magazine, targeting twilight, icarly, high school musical and etc. Another major difference between the show and magazine is that the magazine makes a lot of social & political humor, while the show focus only on entertainment. But the show stays true to the mad magazine spirit. Like the magazine, it has movie and TV parodies that play like mini stories and probably the best part of this show are the different uses of animation style, it is really visually appealing and impressive how they bring all these different styles together and by doing this it also stays true to the magazine, as different artists with different styles work on the magazine, from Al Jaffe to Don Martin. My favorite part of this show are the movie, TV parodies, their not exactly like the magazine but it very much in essence is. And to be honest it's hard to be just like the magazine because what works in print may not work in animation. In the magazine they ridicule the title and character's name and kind of critique the plot, but I must admit the show has some really, really good movie parodies, their well written, witty and truly funny. I like when they use the animation style of people's actual pictures and animated it, it makes the movie parody that much more better. Their first one "Avaturd" was great! The title avaturd instead of avatar is very mad magazine. Poppa smurf and grover made cameo appearance, a lot of blue and cat jokes. "Uglee" is another great parody, the song was great! Saying how glee's a rip off of other high school singing premises. "Star Blecch" is a great parody of the star trek movie,the best part is when captain kirk's dad saves the ship from exploding and his wife text a picture of their baby and it's Alfred E. Newman and he decides to kill himself! hilarious. Other great parodies include " the social netjerk","class of the titans","super80's","kung fu blander", which had a nice surprise cameo by spy vs spy. The movie, TV parodies are clever, often bringing two unlikely things together that somehow fits, like "clawfice", merging x-men with the TV show the office. It's really well written, the voice acting is great, the dialog is great with a lot memorable quotes. The sketches in between are good, like "celebrities without their make-up" the show adapted a few things from the magazine like the don martins, snappy answers, mad marginals and spy vs spy, which began with so so animation but got better over time and in the 2nd season they started using a nightmare before Christmas cartoon style, which looks really good and I love the music, it sound's sinister and that's perfect for spy vs. spy. But unfortunately no "lighter side". I like the cameos by Alfred E.Newman in sketches. Kitchen Nightmares before Christmas was another great parody with Gordan Ramsey entering nightmare before Christmas and terrorizing the monsters, the song was hilarious, "what's that!" As a hardcore fan of the magazine, with a subscription, I'm happy to see a cartoon series based on the great mad magazine and I look forward to watching it every Monday night.

TILLY! Did you make this show? CAUSE ITS GARBAGE!

Author: Ameph from Cleveland
10 November 2011

Ah, so Cartoon Network has shows that have been very successful lately. We have Regular Show and Adventure Time and the Friday Night Line-up is also strong.

Then, we have this...A show that's similar to Robot Chicken that jumps from skit to skit with its basis on humor. It uses a mix of animation with celebrity heads on cartoon figures, fully drawn cartoon skits and the occasional CGI or puppet. The animation is lazy but its still good to look at. However, a show is only as good as its writing. Surely, a show that's similar to Robot Chicken and comes on after Adventure Time and Regular Show should have good writing.

It does not.

Most of the skits in this show consist of taking another TV show or movie and combining it with something else so it rhymes. Then they attempt to combine the characters to make jokes about both shows. However, they tend to lean one direction in terms of the jokes and they simply are not funny. In between some of the skits, they have these 10 second skits which are also not funny at all. Its just a play on words or a poorly done visual gag. Even Spy vs. Spy has no luster with the spies only making one or two twists rather than the 4 or 5 twists in the magazine.

Now, I know you're thinking 'Ameph...you're a 25 year old guy watching cartoons. What do you know about cartoons?' which I reply, 'I've watched cartoons for 25 years of my life. I know what makes a cartoon good.' and frankly, there is absolutely nothing good about this show. There is the occasional rare skit that turned out to be funny or clever (Namely, the Halloween special had the Nightmare Kitchen before Christmas and Veggie Tales from the Crypt) but given that the show's target age group is about 12 and under, would they really know anything about Nightmare Before Christmas, Veggie Tales or Tales from the Crypt? Those are well before their time...

In the end, this show is downright terrible. The jokes are terrible and aren't funny, the animation is sloppy and lazy and the voices are forgettable. Why its still on the air is a true mystery. They should put Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated in that slot so they can solve that one.

original

Author: supercoolman-64276
1 August 2016

boy this show is so clever. i love all of thuh silly parodies the producirs came up wif. i also enjoy the other pee, poop, vomit, and fart jokes found in the show. boy this show is so clever. i love all of thuh silly parodies the producirs came up wif. i also enjoy the other pee, poop, vomit, and fart jokes found in the show. boy this show is so clever. i love all of thuh silly parodies the producirs came up wif. i also enjoy the other pee, poop, vomit, and fart jokes found in the show. boy this show is so clever. i love all of thuh silly parodies the producirs came up wif. i also enjoy the other pee, poop, vomit, and fart jokes found in the show.

It's OK... it's... meh. Sometimes good, sometimes awful.

Author: Ezequiel Porcel from Argentina
19 June 2016

MAD will never be the funniest show you'll ever see, because it is just funny each ten jokes... and the show try to do some fifty joke each chapter. Some chapters have very funny segments (Batman as Benjamin Button, Buzz Light-year as Jason Bourne) but... for example... the segment with one of Jabba's soldier dancing. Dude, that was awful.

The fact that every segment, every damn episode of MAD, has countless references makes you miss and do not understand what the hell is going on if you did not understand any of these.

The show fail trying to be good, because it isn't. But it does being entertaining and makes you spend a good 10 minutes... Of course, depending on chapter you are viewing. Some may not remove your serious face haha.

To close this review, the show is enjoyable sometimes. We must thank god that each chapter lasts only ten minutes, because otherwise I think it would be worst than it already is.

5.5/10