IMDb > Generation Um... (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Generation Um...

Generation Um... More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Some of those who wander ARE lost.

Author: italladdsupto1 from The Hague, Netherlands
27 August 2012

Low user ratings are to be expected when the names of Keanu and Bojana fuel edge-of-your-seat anticipation. This however documents (partly videotaped by Keanu's character) a 24 hour stretch in the lives of three people who are beyond clueless, they don't even care if there is such a thing as clue, purpose or direction in life. They don't even bother to define the relationships amongst the 3 of them. They don't even care to find words to describe their feelings and their lack of any accomplishment gives new meaning to the word void. I do believe this to be a socially relevant document of the lives of some of the 20- or 30-something generation who are one level below the entitled ones. It's there, it's real, no comedy nor drama, but it did powerfully communicate awareness to me as a viewer.

It's complicated

Author: Kentarion from Vienna, Austria
10 April 2013

I really didn't want to watch this movie. The low rating is an absolute no go. But thanks to some user comments i saw a potential.

I'm happy that i took the chance. It's a movie about life in a certain age - my age. Maybe thats the the reason i liked the movie. It was true. I had a good feeling watching it. I didn't always like the way the camera was moving, but in the end it gave the movie an innocent touch.

This movie takes you into the life of some people you get to know just a little bit. it's like going to a party and listening to other peoples conversations without yourself interrupting. It's a pure view of the world in the eyes of John, Mia and Violet. It's so pure you see their skin 'unphotoshopped' and thats refreshing.

I often feel being betrayed or lied about how things look like, how people look like or how locations, bars, streets look like. All the lights, all the make up, all the color boosts... sometimes its just too much.

To view a movie about kind of a real life story - it's a nice idea to do that with real faces, real streets, real situations. And with that comes no explosion, no special close up event, no beautiful candle light sex scene... etc..

That said, this movie is definitively underrated. If you like Lost in Translation or Vicky Christina Barcelona - you may like this movie too. Just don't expect beautiful colors, perfect romance or a Hollywood type movie in general.

What is the movie about?

Author: larem04 from Ukraine
2 May 2013

What is the movie about? It's about loneliness in a crowd, probably. About pain. About hope. About proximity. The movie is about just one day, and about the whole life. It's as little as very much at the same time. The movie starts and ends same — the three friends come home from work. But the things that occurred during the day changing their attitude to themselves and to their own lives. They learn to trust. John has the rare talent to ask short questions and to listen carefully. It turns out to be very important, when you just listen and don't teach, don't advise, don't bring something up. John starts video taping as entertainment and ends up as a confession. And confession always clears the soul. Mark Mann shot a very intimate movie, and brought the viewer completely into the world where Mia, Violet and John live. This world isn't joyful and it isn't sad. It's real. The movie is for those who appreciate sincerity on the screen and who aren't afraid to pass others pain through themselves. It's for those who try to understand people living behind the standard morals. The favorite dialog in the movie is: - Just don't hate me because I'm beautiful. - I don't hate you. I'm just confused. Favorite shot: is the park water fountain.

The movie is not just for fun

Author: zhetan9 from Saint Petersburg, Russia
2 May 2013

This movie shows the life that you don't want to know about. There is no desire to know it or to remember anything that happens in this life. Even though sometimes many of us feel the same way as the main characters do, regardless of what we are. We are ready to judge people, not many of us try to understand the deep reasons of their behavior. If we draw an analogy with The Matrix, John's destiny is a story of a lonely person who didn't know he was the one. Nobody believes in him, and he stops to believe in himself. But he starts revealing after realizing how much the two girls need him, even though these two are condemned by the society. Watching the movie was hard for me. I had a feeling that I'm watching a documentary. It confirms actors and director's high level of professionalism.

breathtakingly authentic

Author: only me from Germany, Berlin
8 January 2013

I try not to make this a spoiler, but I have to say that they might as well have called it a documentary...though the actors are mere placeholders for a phenomenon i guess. I have travelled a great deal around this world and had nights like the one shown in this movie quite many everywhere i went, though most of the people involved were not sexworkers. Uncountable conversations with glasses of whine, mostly without cameras though ;-),with people like me, randomly ending up in the same space for a limited period of time, living in the "grey zone"- a.k.a life. This film is a mere description of how blurry time, space and relation to what is perceived as reality and the suffering within it becomes sometimes, when you are stuck between awareness and maturity. My compliments to the director, the girls and Mr. Reeves. Somebody seems to have understood something. And its funny too!!!

Edgy NYC indie flick

Author: JuiceZee from United States
27 December 2012

I can believe that this movie wont be released at your local multiplex but it is an interesting account of 24 hours in the life of sex workers in NYC. Not an X rated movie by any stretch but more of a personal exploration of people that wind up in this situation and how their day goes. There are some edgy scenes of a sexual nature and when that includes one with Keanu Reeves that is a real attention getter. He is so achingly damaged and sweet in this role. Through his curiosity, and his sincerity, and his stolen movie camera, he is able to reveal some of himself and be a real friend for the 2 young women sex workers, without judging them. Not a feel good film. More about gritty pathos on the seamy side of NYC. The extras and commentary are not to be missed. Reeves more revealing than usual. I really dug it.

"Generation Um…" is a very subtle and clever movie with fine actor's work.

Author: nellkon from Russia
2 May 2013

"Generation Um…" is a very subtle and clever movie with fine actor's work. All characters of this story are very important even if they are absent in the shot (John's mother for example). Each role has certain semantic meaning. So what this movie is about? According to official short reviews it is about "three adults during a single day in New York City, one filled with sex, drugs, and indecision". But this is only the tip of the iceberg. The thoughtful viewer who isn't interested in action only, but in psychological and philosophical dramas also, will dig deeper. And after that it becomes obvious that the movie is kind of a very frank and shrill confession. Why the characters of the movie come to such point in their lives? The reasons are deep mental wounds, childhood complexes and bad experiences. And life apathy and inner uncertainty as a result of it . It leads to the point when the adult person drives himself or herself into a corner and immures all exits, destroying thereby all their life. The movie is about the importance of understanding yourself, throwing the past mistakes' weight off the shoulders, and forgiving people that caused those painful scars on your heart. The most important is to forgive and just love yourself at least a little, and try to spread the wings as a new nation and start over with a clean slate. It is still very important to understand that it's possible to start a new life at any age. That's why the main characters are in different age categories (around 20, 30 and 40 years old). As it is written in medical literature, "the forming of the positive motivation can increase probability of the patient's recovery". We can see their recovery even though it's painful and uncertain. Keanu Reeves notes in the interviews that the ending of the movie gives hope for the future.

Do we feel differently?

Author: ketalextim from Russia
3 May 2013

After watching the film I was thinking for a long time about this story, or should I say preview of the story, its background, it did not leave me indifferent. The characters fell deep into my heart and took their places there. I think I'm going to carry them with me everywhere as my life goes. Were we really so far? Here is Mia, who is building an emotional wall around the experiences of her childhood, and here is Violet, who is feeling the need for the warmth and intimacy of another person, all at the time when she dared to be herself, and have stepped through the fear that John will not understand and alienate. And here is John, who was looking at the world, the lives of other people from the outside. This hug wasn't easy for him, maybe for the first time in his life someone needed him so desperately. Did I ever have to worry about such things myself? No, my life is far from life of these people. But does it make us feel different from one another? While all three of them grow roots, I close my eyes and I see Mia buying daisies. Funny, I love daisies. It seems like this flower is all open for everyone to see, but it definitely is something mysterious about it. Surprisingly, John sees the water just the way I see it. To me it's something always changing but staying same at the same time. I guess that's it for right now. Let's see what else the movie characters show me...

A Good Art House Film

Author: murysa from United States
28 April 2013

I decided to write a small review on this movie that I was able to watch recently. "Generation Um" is an art house film. I think that is one of the reasons why people gave it such a low rating. I mean it's interesting how someone would expect the movie to be one thing and then get something different from what they expected. This is art house, people, that is why certain camera moves were used, or certain views, or certain cuts. Art house films usually look like some guy next door filmed it and then edited it in his garage. But it does not mean the story doesn't have a logic or purpose. I personally liked to look at these three people doing their things and see by their action what they are thinking. I mean, I just find it interesting to look at things as they are without having a simple direction that tells me "here's what's going on and here's what she is feeling", you know. Like when Mia goes for a walk and buys the flowers. Isn't it an example of what she feels after going out last night and dealing with all those men who just wanted to use her? She didn't need the flowers, she just wanted to make herself feel better because the guy at the store was so nice to her. But to see that you have to look carefully while watching. Or the scene with Violet and John when they hug each other. That was brilliant. How somebody would give it a 3 or 1? Did you see her face when they were standing between walls looking at each other? It's like she is literally begging for help. Her eyes and just the whole expression tells you "Please do something!". Oh, that was brilliant. And John, you can see he is ready to do anything for her right now but he is just standing there and staring at his shoes. I mean, these people just don't used to it. They used to yell at each other, not hug each other. So they finally hug. And you don't need any background music or special camera moves to show you how emotional this moment is. And there is a lot of moments like this. Seeing how they live these 24 hours can give you an information about how they probably lived before, why they got themselves into this and what hopes they have for the future.

Good movie. Not one of Keanu's cineplex-type efforts.

Author: Lt. Vincent Hanna from Australia
8 February 2013

I had mixed expectations going in to this film. On the one hand, there was the generally poor showing on IMDb (low rating, several dismissals as boring/uneventful), the relatively bland poster (which conveys little except that the film features three beautiful people) and a pretty uninspired title. But on the other hand, I enjoyed 'Henry's Crime' and '...Pippa Lee' a lot, and so the idea of another non-action-based Keanu film seemed like a reasonable prospect. In the end, I was very glad a took a punt. I liked this film a lot.

'Generation Um...' relies very much on character, dialogue and story, rather than action or suspense. Anyone going in looking for a Keanu cineplex-type effort will certainly be surprised - and probably disappointed. The pace is very deliberate - but it's all relevant, and it all contributes to the film's effectiveness. If a film is to convey the sense of a lifestyle convincingly, it has to follow its subjects through the dull, solitary periods as well as the lively ones. This film does just that and as a result provided a comprehensive picture of the three main characters. You are left with a strong sense of how each of the three got to where they are, how they feel about where they are and how their lives might play out from this point.

The relatively simple story unfolds in just the right way. The significance of the opening scene, and the way each of the three characters spends the following day is only revealed toward the end. The way these things were revealed was great - suddenly, each character's behaviour throughout the rest of the film (even the vacuousness of the first few scenes, which was pretty hard to take the first time through) made good sense. Then the film ends more or less where it started - and you're left with the feeling that these people are doomed to carry on behaving the same way day after day until age, physical decay or poverty pushes them in an even less appealing direction.

All in all, a very satisfying film. I recommend it highly.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]