IMDb > The Inbetweeners Movie (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Carefree fun

Author: hwangeruk from United Kingdom
17 August 2011

Most people probably know what they are going to get before entering the cinema. So sniffy pseudo intellectuals should probably stay clear. But if you're the sort of person who liked the TV series, doesn't think they are a "chav" by eating McDonalds and likes fart jokes then you will really enjoy this movie. The whole audience laughed out loud on many occasions. No its not a clever plot, but they do manage to purvey a slice in time where we are all making the mistakes we all do as we move from adolescence into adulthood. The primary characters maintain their chemistry (which must only come with having now spent so much time with each other). You don't eat a cheese sandwich expecting a Michelin star, and so it is when watching this movie. Its silly, funny, cringe worthy humour. I really enjoyed it, and I imagine a good many others will too.

The Inbetweeners Movies Is The Funniest Film Of Year By A Clear Mile

Author: Thomasamills from United Kingdom
17 August 2011

If you are like me and you love the inbetweeners television show, then the movie will have been much anticipated. I am pleased to report that the movie is not a disappointment. Will, Simon, Jay and Neil are all together as the group head out to Malia for a lads holiday after leaving school. It is meant to be the holiday of a life time, but in classic inbetweeners style not everything goes to plan.

The film is meant to be a fair well to the guys after three very successful TV series and the lads go out in style. The opening of the film sees Simon being dumped by Carli, which gives Jay the idea that the group should leave their troubles behind and have a holiday full of drink, girls and many other things. The holiday shows the boys at the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, but in the end having the time of their lives.

These characters have made me laugh for the past couple of years on television and I was sad to hear that the third series would be the last. However I was pleasantly surprised when I heard about the movie being made. It would be a final send off to four of the funniest faces on TV. The film (just like the show) gives each character their own problems and triumphs as the film goes on and as we expect, some very embarrassing moments. The film is very funny and has numerous laugh out loud moments, but the great thing is the spirit of the film. It has a good heart and a script that gives the characters we care about fitting conclusions.

The credit has to be given to the writers Ian Morris and Damon Beesley who wrote the show as well. This is more then just a spin off from the show, it is a uplifting tale for the four boys full of plenty of laughs. I hope the film receives praise from the critics as it is more then just the comedy of the year, but in my mind one of the best films of the year.

Never disappointed or bored at any point in the film, the inbetweeners movie is a wonderful tale of coming of age. You will be pushed to find a more entertaining and funny film all year. I loved it!

Does what it says on the tin

Author: shevace from United Kingdom
18 August 2011

This is the first review of ever been compelled to write - it's a direct result of having read some reviews in the media slating this film for not 'moving on the characters' etc...

As a huge fan of the TV series I was very nervous about how this film would go prior to it's release I told people 'I hope it's not the usual feature film formula - they go away, have fun, fall out, and reconcile for the final party' - I must say, and it won't spoil the film for anyone when I do, that's exactly what happens....but done with such brilliance no one will mind.

As has been stated by other reviewers the film is no more than an extended episode of the TV show - but when you 4 such perfect characters that is exactly how it should be. The cinema I watched it in was packed (with people of both genders and all ages) and in stitches from start to finish. The film, like the series, is so close to the truth regarding being 17/18 and the rubbish you get up to that you can't help but be dragged into the world of Neil, Jay, Simon and Will.

A wonderful ending to a wonderful series - the world is a sadder place without this comedy and, more importantly, these four characters.

Loved the series, but this really wasn't very good.

Author: matthew-ward-747-728944 from United Kingdom
25 August 2011

Don't get me wrong - I loved The Inbetweeners series, which packed a freshness and sparkle that far outshone many of the pallid comedic offerings of the late noughties. In all accounts, sadly, I feel the film failed to capture the magic of the show.

The movie plot positively throbs with potential - horny teens, a chavvy holiday destination, a pot of money from a dead grandparent. What could go wrong? Sadly the characters proved utterly skin-deep, the jokes were sparse and predictable, and the finale an embarrassment with the characters' half-baked romances.

The television series were a warm and funny reflection on the trials of Brit adolescence. This film provides a few banal little holiday vignettes and a poo joke. Disappointing.

'I saw The Inbetweeners last night, it was great.' 'I'm sorry, the what?'

Author: Johnny Hollywood (jnatsis@iprimus.com.au) from Sydney, Australia
16 November 2011

Despite this British sitcom's surprisingly far-reaching fan base (not a single seat of the four hundred in my cinema was left unoccupied) I still find myself having to explain the show to family members, casual acquaintances and my favourite movie-loving cab driver on the way home.

So, a quick recap. The premise is simple: we follow four friends on the fringe of social status, somewhere between the 'normal kids' and the 'freaks', as they meander their way through high school and its teenage perils. There's the nerdy but level-headed narrator Will (Simon Bird), selfish relationship-dependent Simon (Joe Thomas), compulsive liar and big-noter Jay (James Buckley) and lovable dimwit Neil (Blake Harrison). The film picks up, naturally, during the last day of school. The boys decide to book a party holiday to Greece to help Simon get over his break-up with Carli, but things get hairy when Simon, who is at the furthest point from being over his ex, spots her on the same trip.

If I had to justify why I loved this film with one sentence, it would be this: at no point does it stray from the formula that made the show so refreshing. The humour is there, as are the scenes of incredible social awkwardness, but this consistency begins with proper characterisation. Every fan of the show has a personal favourite, and should be pleased to hear that their move to the big screen has not coerced creators Beesley and Morris into thinking they should customise the characters to suit a wider audience. By the end of the film, each of the four is in an inherently better position in their life than they were two hours ago, but how they all get there remains entrenched in typical Inbetweeners fashion.

What does this mean exactly? It means that the screenplay puts individual character development on the backburner for most of the film, instead preferring to fill every scene with a truckload of jokes ranging from slapstick, the spoken word and a merciless array of cringe-worthy moments; the kind that have become the niche of the series. In any other genre this could be considered a sour point, but comedies are granted exceptions on the basis that they exist primarily to entertain, not to provide a moral, or indeed, much deep thinking at all. Does each character learn something about their life through their experience in Greece? Sure. Should we expect them to let the rest of their life be guided by these same profound moments of clarity? I doubt it.

Anyone even slightly familiar with the series would be aware of its unrelentingly crude subject matter, which some might interpret as vulgar or even offensive. That's a personal call, and while it doesn't concern my comedic sensibilities in the slightest, I must warn the more politically correct among us that this is not a movie for you. Few social taboos are left undisturbed, and when you couple this with the notion that filmmakers can get away with a lot more on the big screen (a saying that rings especially true for The Inbetweeners), it is recommended that fence-sitters have a long think about how they feel about the series, lest they return home with the unexplained compulsion to take a boiling hot bath and scrub until a little skin comes off.

If I had to make a couple of minor criticisms, I would say that a handful of party clichés are overdone (see: front-on shots of friends walking in slow- motion through a club with big grins on their faces) and that some realism is lost when Simon appears too gullible to be believed (you'll know it when you see it). However, these moments are few and far between, and fail to detract from making this the funniest movie I've seen in a good few years.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on jnatsis@iprimus.com.au and let me know what you thought of my review.*

Does the show justice

Author: Red_Identity from United States
10 December 2012

Seeing the mixed response this movie got here in the US definitely had me lowering my expectations. I finished the show in two weeks and is now one of my favorite TV comedies ever, so I was seeing this film either way. As it stands, this definitely does the series justice. Oh, it definitely wasn't anything out of the ordinary or unpredictable, but just like the show, it's able to still be completely hilarious and really touching when it comes down to it. The four characters have deeply resonated with me, and the movie just further expands their arcs in mostly successful ways. Even though the movie may not have the freshness the series has many times, it works because it still has the same humor, and the characters are definitely true to themselves. It's a riot!

I only watched it till the end to see how more stupid it can become!

Author: Des I. from Bulgaria
13 July 2012

I can't believe the rating this thing has! I was totally disappointed from the first minute on. The dialogues were so meaningless, the jokes so dumb, English humor was nowhere to be found in this movie. No further comments about the movie in general - it is just not worth your time, it is an absolute loss.

But the thing that shocked me the most was how it represented the island of Crete! IT IS NOTHING, NOTHING LIKE THIS! Not only in Crete, but nowhere in Greece! Have the directors even been to Greece, or like the guys in the movie they have never left dark and foggy UK?! How could you present a place so wonderful in such an untrue way?! This is absolutely unacceptable! I have been to Greece like ten times on long vacations and I can tell you that with what is shown in this movie, the people that have created it made huge fools out of themselves! There are NO such nasty hotels in Crete/Greece, NO such mentality, NO such promiscuous women in the streets and NO such social environment at all!!! If any nation in the world knows anything about tourism and hospitality, this is the Greek nation. Really, I was beyond shocked with this, really! If it was somehow up to me, I would sue the people that brought together this nonsense!

To make the long story short - for God sakes, if you respect yourself, do not loose your time and brain with this... Sad story!

The Inbetweeners Movie

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
14 August 2014

So back in 2008 the UK was introduced to yet another foul-mouthed rude and disgusting comedy show...and it was more British brilliance. Easily the most semi offensive, filthy and sexually profanity ridden show to hit our screens since Bottom, and that was tame in comparison. The whole premise is basically centred around childish immature toilet humour, typical boyish low brow school smut that most every British male can relate to because they probably grew up doing and saying the same things.

The TV show revolved around four young boys struggling through their school years which included various stereotypical themes which, again, many will relate too. The most common of these was the attempt and failure of many many sexual encounters with girls from their school or where ever, these sexual escapades made up the bulk of the shows plots. Yes it sounds like a wholly clichéd and unoriginal but that doesn't deter us Brits when it comes to embarrassing sexual innuendos and smut.

This movie carries on from where the TV show left off after the final third series which we all thought had finished for good. The lads are still mates and they're off on their holidays to sunny Malia, Crete, Greece. That is basically the plot right there, you don't really need to know anything about the TV show or what happened, you can quite easily watch this on its own and get the drift perfectly. There might be the odd moment which you might not get if you haven't watched the TV show but generally you should be fine.

If ever there was a bad advert on a mass scale for Brits abroad then this has gotta be high on the list. I'm not referring to all Brits of course but mainly the younger binge drinking generation that we all know and loathe these days. Yep its the stereotypical vision of modern day British youths abroad getting blind drunk, having or hunting for guilt free animalistic sex, drugs, vomit, feces and lots of football shirts. Its exactly what you'd expect as a British viewer which is both hilarious at times and utterly shameful at others, we all know what goes down in these types of places, amazed it wasn't filmed in Magaluf (probably too extreme).

Whilst the TV show seems anarchic and unpredictable this film really feels like a let down in my eyes. Gone are the fresh wild obnoxious antics...instead replaced with every known cliché from the book of clichés, besides that we saw all this before with 'Kevin and Perry Go Large'. The one that has been implanted into this story is emotion and some solid character development. The guys do seems to grow as we see them fall out, make up and meet the girls of their dreams...naturally not being the type of girls they expected. Although again its kinda obvious, 'Jay' gets a tubby bird and starts to show signs of maturing, 'Will' get a hot blonde, 'Simon' finally moves on from 'Carly' with a brunette and 'Neil' finds a slightly ditzy girl the same height as himself.

Generally I found this movie kinda depressing actually, there is tonnes of negativity with the guys trying to find girls, trying to be popular and trying to fit in. There are of course the highs but I found there to be more lows really, lows and lots of cringeworthy behaviour which somehow didn't seem as funny as the TV show. Most of the laughs tend to be the most obvious and over used clichés such as the shitty hotel, aging desperate women dressed in unflattering attire, too much booze with obligatory vomiting, hot babes, buff jocks and the old gag of the rude doodle burnt into burnt into your back. I guess the old school location of...errr their school works the best, prime example being the fantastic small sequence with Greg Davies as 'Mr Gilbert' the Headmaster giving a rousing speech at the start. Its reasonable fun in places but on the whole it can't live up to the original show despite the usual good performances from the main cast.

5.5/10

Frustratating

Author: TheDarragh from Ireland
23 August 2011

**** may contain spoilers**** A frustrating one this. As a big screen adaptation, you are expecting to take your characters out of their comfort zone and on to the big screen. To do this you would expect a) a new setting (easily done), b) references to the small screen equivalents (minimal) and c) some depth and character development (non-existent).

In terms of b), references were thin on the ground. The characters were themselves, a few minor characters made cameos (John and Mark pale in comparison to Mr Gilbert's shining 30 seconds) but the word 'clunge' was decidedly absent. Did the producers not think people would 'get' this? No reference to Will 'almost' losing his virginity, when asked? In terms of c) this was most frustrating. The boys are at a crossroads in their lives, and the movie could have explored this. We get little hints of things about to change: Simon and Jay drifting apart, talk of University, Jay's ongoing Dad-issues; it's like these plot points are touched upon but not at all explored. Superbad is a great lesson in tastefully handled sub-plots like this.

Ultimately, a frustrating movie. It lacked the spark that the free-flowing dialogue of TV provided, as well as lacking the depth beyond 'dick & fart' jokes that the big screen requires.

Wsted Opportunity

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
3 August 2014

Will, Simon, Jay and Neil are all here as the gang head out to Malia for a lads holiday after leaving school. It is to be the holiday of a life time, but in Inbetweeners style nothing goes to plan.

And that's where the similarities with the hilarious TV show end. As sadly the film fails to capture the magic of the show. The movie plot positively throbs with potential. From horny teens, a holiday destination, and Jay having money from a dead grandparent. What could go wrong?? It simply never dips in to the potential.

I'll start with Jay, some of the funniest lines in the TV show come from him. Here for some reason he is very watered down, and barely lies or exaggerates at all. his one lie "I've swam further UNDER water" was one of the two times I actually laughed. There was soooo much potential for the character of Jay in this situation, and it's never explored and we miss it!! Next up Simon is so ridiculously annoying and naive (who gives up ALL of their clothes) as he pines for Carli I wanted to punch him never mind Jay!As for punching someone the character of the Rep that Carli was smitten with was vile and in no way got the sort of comeuppance that he deserved. Will was a duller version of his TV version self and was subject to the old suntan lotion gag that was old, when it was used in "Police Academy V" the only one close to his TV version was Neil, and him leading the boys minus Jay on a dance to attract the attention of 4 girls was the second time I laughed.

Now on to the 4 girls, all OK, but clichéd. But it is ridiculous that all 4 four girls, hooked up with the 4 boys for a holiday romance, and it is NOT in keeping with Inbetweeners spirit. The show is funny watching them try and fail. for all four to succeed just seemed like a "lets give them all an American Pie-esque happy ending" situation.

All it all a massive let down, and this will not find it's way into my DVD collection unlike the TV show.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]