IMDb > The Inbetweeners Movie (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Carefree fun

Author: hwangeruk from United Kingdom
17 August 2011

Most people probably know what they are going to get before entering the cinema. So sniffy pseudo intellectuals should probably stay clear. But if you're the sort of person who liked the TV series, doesn't think they are a "chav" by eating McDonalds and likes fart jokes then you will really enjoy this movie. The whole audience laughed out loud on many occasions. No its not a clever plot, but they do manage to purvey a slice in time where we are all making the mistakes we all do as we move from adolescence into adulthood. The primary characters maintain their chemistry (which must only come with having now spent so much time with each other). You don't eat a cheese sandwich expecting a Michelin star, and so it is when watching this movie. Its silly, funny, cringe worthy humour. I really enjoyed it, and I imagine a good many others will too.

The Inbetweeners Movies Is The Funniest Film Of Year By A Clear Mile

Author: Thomasamills from United Kingdom
17 August 2011

If you are like me and you love the inbetweeners television show, then the movie will have been much anticipated. I am pleased to report that the movie is not a disappointment. Will, Simon, Jay and Neil are all together as the group head out to Malia for a lads holiday after leaving school. It is meant to be the holiday of a life time, but in classic inbetweeners style not everything goes to plan.

The film is meant to be a fair well to the guys after three very successful TV series and the lads go out in style. The opening of the film sees Simon being dumped by Carli, which gives Jay the idea that the group should leave their troubles behind and have a holiday full of drink, girls and many other things. The holiday shows the boys at the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, but in the end having the time of their lives.

These characters have made me laugh for the past couple of years on television and I was sad to hear that the third series would be the last. However I was pleasantly surprised when I heard about the movie being made. It would be a final send off to four of the funniest faces on TV. The film (just like the show) gives each character their own problems and triumphs as the film goes on and as we expect, some very embarrassing moments. The film is very funny and has numerous laugh out loud moments, but the great thing is the spirit of the film. It has a good heart and a script that gives the characters we care about fitting conclusions.

The credit has to be given to the writers Ian Morris and Damon Beesley who wrote the show as well. This is more then just a spin off from the show, it is a uplifting tale for the four boys full of plenty of laughs. I hope the film receives praise from the critics as it is more then just the comedy of the year, but in my mind one of the best films of the year.

Never disappointed or bored at any point in the film, the inbetweeners movie is a wonderful tale of coming of age. You will be pushed to find a more entertaining and funny film all year. I loved it!

Does what it says on the tin

Author: shevace from United Kingdom
18 August 2011

This is the first review of ever been compelled to write - it's a direct result of having read some reviews in the media slating this film for not 'moving on the characters' etc...

As a huge fan of the TV series I was very nervous about how this film would go prior to it's release I told people 'I hope it's not the usual feature film formula - they go away, have fun, fall out, and reconcile for the final party' - I must say, and it won't spoil the film for anyone when I do, that's exactly what happens....but done with such brilliance no one will mind.

As has been stated by other reviewers the film is no more than an extended episode of the TV show - but when you 4 such perfect characters that is exactly how it should be. The cinema I watched it in was packed (with people of both genders and all ages) and in stitches from start to finish. The film, like the series, is so close to the truth regarding being 17/18 and the rubbish you get up to that you can't help but be dragged into the world of Neil, Jay, Simon and Will.

A wonderful ending to a wonderful series - the world is a sadder place without this comedy and, more importantly, these four characters.

'I saw The Inbetweeners last night, it was great.' 'I'm sorry, the what?'

Author: Johnny Hollywood (jnatsis@iprimus.com.au) from Sydney, Australia
16 November 2011

Despite this British sitcom's surprisingly far-reaching fan base (not a single seat of the four hundred in my cinema was left unoccupied) I still find myself having to explain the show to family members, casual acquaintances and my favourite movie-loving cab driver on the way home.

So, a quick recap. The premise is simple: we follow four friends on the fringe of social status, somewhere between the 'normal kids' and the 'freaks', as they meander their way through high school and its teenage perils. There's the nerdy but level-headed narrator Will (Simon Bird), selfish relationship-dependent Simon (Joe Thomas), compulsive liar and big-noter Jay (James Buckley) and lovable dimwit Neil (Blake Harrison). The film picks up, naturally, during the last day of school. The boys decide to book a party holiday to Greece to help Simon get over his break-up with Carli, but things get hairy when Simon, who is at the furthest point from being over his ex, spots her on the same trip.

If I had to justify why I loved this film with one sentence, it would be this: at no point does it stray from the formula that made the show so refreshing. The humour is there, as are the scenes of incredible social awkwardness, but this consistency begins with proper characterisation. Every fan of the show has a personal favourite, and should be pleased to hear that their move to the big screen has not coerced creators Beesley and Morris into thinking they should customise the characters to suit a wider audience. By the end of the film, each of the four is in an inherently better position in their life than they were two hours ago, but how they all get there remains entrenched in typical Inbetweeners fashion.

What does this mean exactly? It means that the screenplay puts individual character development on the backburner for most of the film, instead preferring to fill every scene with a truckload of jokes ranging from slapstick, the spoken word and a merciless array of cringe-worthy moments; the kind that have become the niche of the series. In any other genre this could be considered a sour point, but comedies are granted exceptions on the basis that they exist primarily to entertain, not to provide a moral, or indeed, much deep thinking at all. Does each character learn something about their life through their experience in Greece? Sure. Should we expect them to let the rest of their life be guided by these same profound moments of clarity? I doubt it.

Anyone even slightly familiar with the series would be aware of its unrelentingly crude subject matter, which some might interpret as vulgar or even offensive. That's a personal call, and while it doesn't concern my comedic sensibilities in the slightest, I must warn the more politically correct among us that this is not a movie for you. Few social taboos are left undisturbed, and when you couple this with the notion that filmmakers can get away with a lot more on the big screen (a saying that rings especially true for The Inbetweeners), it is recommended that fence-sitters have a long think about how they feel about the series, lest they return home with the unexplained compulsion to take a boiling hot bath and scrub until a little skin comes off.

If I had to make a couple of minor criticisms, I would say that a handful of party clichés are overdone (see: front-on shots of friends walking in slow- motion through a club with big grins on their faces) and that some realism is lost when Simon appears too gullible to be believed (you'll know it when you see it). However, these moments are few and far between, and fail to detract from making this the funniest movie I've seen in a good few years.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on jnatsis@iprimus.com.au and let me know what you thought of my review.*

Loved the series, but this really wasn't very good.

Author: matthew-ward-747-728944 from United Kingdom
25 August 2011

Don't get me wrong - I loved The Inbetweeners series, which packed a freshness and sparkle that far outshone many of the pallid comedic offerings of the late noughties. In all accounts, sadly, I feel the film failed to capture the magic of the show.

The movie plot positively throbs with potential - horny teens, a chavvy holiday destination, a pot of money from a dead grandparent. What could go wrong? Sadly the characters proved utterly skin-deep, the jokes were sparse and predictable, and the finale an embarrassment with the characters' half-baked romances.

The television series were a warm and funny reflection on the trials of Brit adolescence. This film provides a few banal little holiday vignettes and a poo joke. Disappointing.

Does the show justice

Author: Red_Identity from United States
10 December 2012

Seeing the mixed response this movie got here in the US definitely had me lowering my expectations. I finished the show in two weeks and is now one of my favorite TV comedies ever, so I was seeing this film either way. As it stands, this definitely does the series justice. Oh, it definitely wasn't anything out of the ordinary or unpredictable, but just like the show, it's able to still be completely hilarious and really touching when it comes down to it. The four characters have deeply resonated with me, and the movie just further expands their arcs in mostly successful ways. Even though the movie may not have the freshness the series has many times, it works because it still has the same humor, and the characters are definitely true to themselves. It's a riot!

A+ the inbetweeners

Author: time-bomb from switzerland
5 January 2013

Excellent movie!! Delivers the goods on all fronts. I am a fan of the TV show and this movie was the swan song to the four main characters. The writing of the film has to be given credit it had a solid script which all involved executed perfectly. It was a great way to release the inbetweeners to the real world, i laughed through out and left me wanting more the ending was perfect and the movie did not drag on like many TV to Movies do(Borat,Bruno). I noticed that this movie flowed naturally and in no time did it feel like the film had lost momentum, this Is something that is notorious in other TV to movie films like the ones mentioned before. Good to know that the 4 fellas will be just fine one of the best feel good Movies I've seen.

The Inbetweeners Movie

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
14 August 2014

So back in 2008 the UK was introduced to yet another foul-mouthed rude and disgusting comedy show...and it was more British brilliance. Easily the most semi offensive, filthy and sexually profanity ridden show to hit our screens since Bottom, and that was tame in comparison. The whole premise is basically centred around childish immature toilet humour, typical boyish low brow school smut that most every British male can relate to because they probably grew up doing and saying the same things.

The TV show revolved around four young boys struggling through their school years which included various stereotypical themes which, again, many will relate too. The most common of these was the attempt and failure of many many sexual encounters with girls from their school or where ever, these sexual escapades made up the bulk of the shows plots. Yes it sounds like a wholly clichéd and unoriginal but that doesn't deter us Brits when it comes to embarrassing sexual innuendos and smut.

This movie carries on from where the TV show left off after the final third series which we all thought had finished for good. The lads are still mates and they're off on their holidays to sunny Malia, Crete, Greece. That is basically the plot right there, you don't really need to know anything about the TV show or what happened, you can quite easily watch this on its own and get the drift perfectly. There might be the odd moment which you might not get if you haven't watched the TV show but generally you should be fine.

If ever there was a bad advert on a mass scale for Brits abroad then this has gotta be high on the list. I'm not referring to all Brits of course but mainly the younger binge drinking generation that we all know and loathe these days. Yep its the stereotypical vision of modern day British youths abroad getting blind drunk, having or hunting for guilt free animalistic sex, drugs, vomit, feces and lots of football shirts. Its exactly what you'd expect as a British viewer which is both hilarious at times and utterly shameful at others, we all know what goes down in these types of places, amazed it wasn't filmed in Magaluf (probably too extreme).

Whilst the TV show seems anarchic and unpredictable this film really feels like a let down in my eyes. Gone are the fresh wild obnoxious antics...instead replaced with every known cliché from the book of clichés, besides that we saw all this before with 'Kevin and Perry Go Large'. The one that has been implanted into this story is emotion and some solid character development. The guys do seems to grow as we see them fall out, make up and meet the girls of their dreams...naturally not being the type of girls they expected. Although again its kinda obvious, 'Jay' gets a tubby bird and starts to show signs of maturing, 'Will' get a hot blonde, 'Simon' finally moves on from 'Carly' with a brunette and 'Neil' finds a slightly ditzy girl the same height as himself.

Generally I found this movie kinda depressing actually, there is tonnes of negativity with the guys trying to find girls, trying to be popular and trying to fit in. There are of course the highs but I found there to be more lows really, lows and lots of cringeworthy behaviour which somehow didn't seem as funny as the TV show. Most of the laughs tend to be the most obvious and over used clichés such as the shitty hotel, aging desperate women dressed in unflattering attire, too much booze with obligatory vomiting, hot babes, buff jocks and the old gag of the rude doodle burnt into burnt into your back. I guess the old school location of...errr their school works the best, prime example being the fantastic small sequence with Greg Davies as 'Mr Gilbert' the Headmaster giving a rousing speech at the start. Its reasonable fun in places but on the whole it can't live up to the original show despite the usual good performances from the main cast.

5.5/10

English Pie

Author: thesar-2 from United States
3 March 2013

In the beginning, I was in-between feelings for The Inbetweeners Movie. I didn't find it bad by any means, and most of my feelings were based on my somewhat ignorance of British humor and lack of any knowledge of the TV program it's based on. I just thought, it's somewhat funny and I liked how the movie that reminded me a lot of the original American Pie but was very unabashed with its characters compared to how backwards we're here.

Luckily, as the movie progressed, it became more and more comical, hilarious and those four "boys" really grew on me – all individually.

Perhaps that was because I finally did get more used to the humor and understood more. But, I believe it was how invested I was getting with the depth (and hilarity) displayed in the main stars.

Yeah, if I saw the TV show – that I've never heard of before this screening – first, perhaps I'd already be into their individual personalities.

Here, nor there. This movie, brilliantly made to stand alone, follows four British lads after their (to us: High School) graduation and then immediately on holiday to Malia. Obviously, they're going there to get laid, boozed up, celebrate their friendship and let us enjoy their misadventures with four girls they meet.

The four guys are pretty much England's version of the American Pie dudes and each uniquely fun. Will, the cute and nerdy one, aside from his Austin Powers grill, is the virgin and smart alecky one. Jay's the horn-dog selfish one and Simon's the hung-up on his obviously bad-for-him ex-girlfriend. And finally, one I didn't like up front, but really grew on me: Neil, the jolly chap who's probably the horniest, most positive and innocent of all.

After awhile, I loved watching them and their interactions with the females, who were also entertaining. Enough so, I would like to get the series this was based on and then rewatch this supposedly movie made to close out the TV program.

Finally, from a personal perspective, its nice seeing how guys overseas aren't so hung up on sexuality and nudity as this prude country is. If you were to put a copy of American Pie and The Inbetweeners Movie in front of me, like all my other choices I make, I'll go with this – the unedited version. Any day.

Trust Me, You Won't Be Disappointed!

Author: SebMModernsII from United Kingdom
7 August 2012

From being a big fan of The Inbetweeners Show for approximately a year, (I am now 16.) I was really excited about seeing this movie, even though I failed to see it at cinemas, so I had missed out on hearing people's laugh out loud reactions! When I got The DVD and I sat down and watched it, I had myself laughing my ass by saying: "Shihihihihihiiiiit!" each time something funny or stupid would happen! If you have not seen this film yet, I can tell you a bit about it, without giving away too many of the jokes. The film shares the same theme as American Pie And Beavis And Butt-Head Do America, because a group of teenage boys try their very best to loose their virginity when on their holidays! The film offers a lot of laughs, but it gets a little over the top in some places by showing a lot of full frontal male nudity which makes Team America: World Police look like The Simpsons Movie and the jokes eventually wear off after the first hour! Still a very funny, recommended movie! (Just do not show it to your kids!)

Overall Rating: 8/10!