IMDb > 10 Years (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
10 Years

10 Years More at IMDbPro »

Not exactly reinventing the wheel, but worth watching.

Author: Applesnacks from Canada
13 September 2011

In his directorial debut "Ten Year", Jamie Linden (writer/producer of "We Are Marshall") introduces us to an extensive cast of characters as they make preparations to attend Howell Secondary School's Ten Year reunion. The film opens with a light and humorous air, as we meet the usual suspects in a film about life post-highschool: The grown up jock (Chris Pratt) who hopes to make amends for swirlies of the past; the nerd who broke out of his shell (Justin Long), made it big in the real world, and plans to conquer women who once spurned him; the rockstar (Oscar Isaac) who never really found happiness in fame; and of course, the one that got away (Rosario Dawson). There are a litany of supporting characters, most of whom contribute not only to making the film genuinely hilarious, but also support the bigger themes at play in a big way.

The film is largely predictable, and the characters all feel like they fit nicely into role's that have been hashed out in films of the past. A film like this lives or dies based on the strength of the script and the actors that bring it to the screen. Thankfully, the performances given by the substantial cast breathe life into the film, and for the most part we're laughing and crying right along with them.

Ultimately, despite being a little tired and predictable, Ten Year feels like a high-school reunion for the cast of a John Hughes movie. If you loved John Hughes' seminal high-school coming-of-age flicks, you should do well with Ten Year - a film aiming to remind us that coming-of-age continues well after graduation.

So glad I didn't listen to most of the reviews!'

Author: rchoyle from Canada
31 May 2013

Before I watched this movie, I read some reviews and was on the fence about watching it as most of the reviews were not overly positive, average at best. Well boy are they all wrong IMO!' This movie was such an amazing movie about one night in the life of a bunch of people attending their 10 year high school reunion. Most of us can relate to a lot of the scenes in the movie which makes the movie that much better. I think it was really well written, well acted and offered everything you can ask for. I won't get into too much detail in what the movie is about, but I can tell you that as I began watching it, it did a really great job in slowly reeling me in and about a quarter of the way through, had me hooked to the end! Brilliant little flick and it had a great e ding I might add. Do yourself a favour, don't pay attention to the naysayers and give this movie a chance, you will enjoy it!

Like a documentary, but that's the problem

Author: zoerobe from United States
5 October 2012

In "Grosse Point Blank," John Cusack, a hit-man, attends his high school reunion and to the strains of Queen's "Under Pressure," gazes at a classmate's infant. The child's mom tells him that when you're a teen, you think your life is over when you grow up and have a family, but really, "it's just beginning." Would that that kind of insight was more frequent in "Ten Years," in which representatives from all the typical cliques attend their high school reunion, for the reasons quoted in the tagline. Like real life reunions, there's a lot of intoxication, true confessions and mundane conversation. The one bright spot is Chris Pratt, who plays a former bully turned family man, determined to "apologize" to everyone he used to torment. (Sample attempt to do this: "Wow, you look all normal and (bleep).") Pratt throws himself into the role with an abandon I wished some of the other actors had.

"Ten Years," is oddly devoid of pop culture and historic event references that you might expect. This might mean it won't seem too dated eventually, but it also makes it bland. No one mentions the current economic recession (that I recall) or brings up the difficulty of finding/keeping a job, any job. While this might be a downer, it still seems a strange omission. The big secrets the characters are concealing are more generalized. It's like eavesdropping on a real life reunion, but with movies, I at least want more drama than I saw here.

It might not be a genre defining film, but it is good

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
14 December 2012

¨Now the party can start!¨

The film is about a 10 year High School reunion, and I know that the formula seems repeated and overdone but this film felt fresh and original. The cast is great and they all share a good amount of screen time. This film manages to deal with all the separate stories and characters much better than other high budget films tried to (Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve). I was interested in the different relationships between these characters and was hooked from the beginning. I thought Channing Tatum would be the lead character and that the story would focus around him, but it actually doesn't; everyone gets a decent amount of screen time. There is no side story here, all the stories are equally relevant and have sufficient time to find some sort of closure. 10 Years was written and directed by Jamie Linden and this was his first film as a director. He had written the screenplays for Dear John and We Are Marshall. Here he gets to work with Tatum once again, but my favorite performance from this movie came from Oscar Isaac, who I really liked in Drive. Drive was my favorite movie from 2011, and despite the fact that Ryan Gosling carried that movie; I thought Isaac was absolutely perfect in his role as well. The chemistry he shares here with Kate Mara is amazing, and the song he performs at the karaoke bar was one of the highlights of the movie. 10 Years is not a laugh out comedy, but it has it's funny moments. I felt like it worked best as a sort of melancholic romantic drama. The actors were all perfectly casted in my opinion and they each delivered. 10 Years was a lovely and entertaining film.

As I mentioned before the story revolves around a 10 year High School reunion. The first couple that's introduced in the story is Jake (Channing Tatum) and Jess (Jenna Dewan-Tatum) who have been dating over three years. Jess is going to accompany Jake to his High School reunion. Before going to the party they stop to meet up with Jake's High School buddies Cully (Chris Pratt) and Sam (Ari Graynor) who are happily married with two kids. Then they also reunite with Marty (Justin long) and AJ (Max Minghella), and with Scott (Scott Porter) and Suki (Eiko Nijo) who are visiting from Japan. The last one that meets up with them is Reeves (Oscar Isaac), the most successful person from his class who has become a rock celebrity. Together they arrive at the High school reunion and meet up with the rest of their classmates. Cully, who was the class bully, is trying to redeem himself from his past and is looking to make amends with all the nerds. Jake is surprised when he sees his ex-High School sweetheart, Mary (Rosario Dawson) arrive with her hubby Paul (Ron Livingston). Apparently Jake and Mary were pretty much a perfect couple during their teenage years. And then there's Elise (Kate Mara) who always played it low in High School, but who Reeves remembers all too well as the girl who got away. There are several other supporting characters who also contribute to the overall humor and heart of the film like Garrity (Brian Geraghty), the ¨whigger¨ and his wife Olivia (Aubrey Plaza) who had never heard of that side of Garrity.

There is no novelty or breakthrough in this film. The story has been told before and we've seen the characters in other movies. In a way 10 Years reminded me of an 80's John Hughes movie. The film really worked thanks to some great performances from the cast and an emotionally gripping script. I was really hooked with some of the stories and the way in which these characters interacted with each other. Despite the ten years that had gone by, these characters still remained the same deep down inside and some needed closure. I loved Isaac's character and his song. His story and the chemistry between him and Mara was pretty intense. Aubrey Plaza really didn't get much screen time, but I saw her as a leading lady in Safety Not Guaranteed and there is no doubt she is really talented. Tatum got to act beside his wife once again after first meeting her on the set of Step Up. There was really a lot of chemistry between so many of these characters and they all seemed like real life friends. This is an interesting directorial debut from Jamie Linden and I hope more people get to see this good movie.

A Gem

Author: D P from United States
21 December 2012

Definitely worth seeing. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It doesn't delve too deep. Its a simple story about a high school reunion but it really nails it.

I kept seeing reviews and tweets from people along the lines of "everyone can relate to something in this movie." It is true. I teared up during a couple parts.

I will buy this movie and I highly recommend it. Its a perfect little movie about 1 night. The acting is great and you'll enjoy a lot of laughs and maybe even a few tears.

We can all relate to what you will see in this movie... in one way or another.

Very dull and uninteresting

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
12 December 2012

This film is about a group of high school classmates having a ten-year reunion party.

"10 Years" has a lot of recognisable actors, but none of these talents are put into good use. The characters are poorly introduced, we don't get to know who they were in the past and who they are now. The plethora of characters, with their plus ones make a huge number of people to follow, which adds to the complexity of the plot. The events that happen are dull and uninteresting, and I just don't care about what they do with rolls of toilet paper or how bad they sing in karaoke. They only pair of characters that is remotely interesting is the rock star and the girl in yellow shoes. They have chemistry together. In short, I found "10 Years" very dull and uninteresting.

Almost turned it off

Author: jet1959mo from United States
3 January 2013

I'll make this short. It was boring. Though it was probably close to someone's actual 10 year reunion, I had come so close to stopping it half way through but, we suffered through to the end. There is nothing in this movie to laugh at. Most of this film was watching a group of plain uneventful people looking back on their past. Honestly , the only good part was the song Oscar Isaac belted out. For the life of me, all the actors seemed to be hashing out something they thought was real life. Maybe they should have asked Jamie Linden if this was his 10 year reunion. I know my reunions are not as lifeless as this movie was. I do have to say some of the characters portrayed in this film have some truth, Jamie Linden could have given this film a much needed kick in the ***. I am sure glad I didn't pay to see this and only rented the DVD but, after watching this I don't think it was worth that either. I do apologize for the negativity but, I think the top actors/actresses should have said no to their rolls.

Realistic

Author: apenney87 from Florida
21 February 2013

This movie was fun but parts where very predictable. I enjoyed that the movie showed the lives of these characters without necessarily trying to "fix" them. Many movies have recently tried to have a happy ending for all involved and in life that's actually not the case. The actors where picked well for their roles. The downfall is the depth of the characters. While, I got the total picture, and during the scenes could feel the emotions for each person involved, such as the awkward scenes being convincingly awkward and the happy scenes genuinely making me happy. In the end I didn't care what happens next. I probably would not buy this movie, unless it was on a super sale and would only leave it on t.v. if nothing else was on....

Sweet and memorable reunion movie

Author: aldri-feb from Indonesia
9 July 2013

'10 Years' is all about reunion of high school class to celebrate their 10 years graduation from school. At first the film shows normally high school reunion should be and seems nothing special from it. It's like watching daily people do at their reunion party like telling how have changed they are, what they've earned in life and introducing their husband or wife to old friends. But the movie flows smoothly and definitely doesn't try to be dumb or ridiculous like 'American Reunion' did. They make audience interested to see it until the best part at climax of the movie. It ends with a sweet and wonderful way which makes this movie so special. Overall, '10 Years' is not just an ordinary drama movie about people's reunion. Inside it there is a compelling story and Jamie Linden as director just put the ending in the right place. Also the characters here have same portion and not focus in only one or two main problems. For me, '10 Years' is great and could be one of the most remarkable romantic comedy movie in recent memory.

'We all have our messes.'

Author: gradyharp from United States
4 January 2013

Jamie Linden wrote and directed this little flimsy bit of fluff, a movie that falls somewhere between the Hangover and the Bridesmaids obsession. The concept apparently was to demonstrate what happens to high school graduates who return to their past at a 10-year reunion. Some change for the better, some for what worse, some are successful, some only claim to be successful when they are not, stars prove not to have shone for long, old tentative romances alter for both good and bad. As one character states when the evening comes to a close 'We all have our messes' and nothing could be more true.

Jake and Jess (Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan-Tatum) are happy but Jake can't gather the strength to give Jess the engagement ring he keeps in an envelope in his glove compartment (he is distracted by his old flame Mary (Rosario Dawson) who is married to Paul (Ron Livingston); Marty and Aj (Justin Long and Max Minghella) were fast friends in high school but both think the other is the something they're not until a thwarted race to date the once luscious Anna (Lynn Collins) only to discover that she still lives a most unglamorous life in the same place where she lived as a school beauty queen on now a mother to two children the fathers of whom she doesn't know; former high school bully and complete slob Cully (Chris Pratt) embarrasses everyone with his drunken gross behavior and is only forgiven by his long suffering wife Sam(Ari Graynor); Reeves (Oscar Isaac) is one of the few who made it as a singer and meets up with the girl Elise (Kate Mara) about whom he wrote his popular song; the others have less story fleshed out - Scott Porter, Brian Geraghty, Aubrey Plaza, Aaron Yoo, Anthony Mackie among them.

Part of the problem with this film is the noise of the background music (attributed to Chad Fischer) that covers the dialogue through three quarters of the film. Finally in the last 10 minutes or so of the movie there is actually some story about which we care, but until that time the behavior of these '28 year olds' is obnoxious to unremarkable. Everyone has his or her messes.

Grady Harp