IMDb > Weekend (2011/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Second..

Author: ChristianDrey from Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines
11 July 2014

Second gay film I have watched (after Freier Fall) and like Freier Fall... and like most realities in the gay world, there is no happy endings.

I like Freir Fall more but an 8/10 rating will do for this movie. It was real, at least that was what I felt while watching it.

I guess that is the "norm" in gay films? that they don't have happy endings? At least with weekend, there is something to ponder about after the movie ended.

Lastly, albeit this is an all out gay movie I like how the story actually brought out real issues in relationships that normal people actually experience in real life (without any script).

What I did not like about this move (also with Freier Fall) is that they have drugs in it. Then again, that probably is part of the "realness" of the story.

But anyway, this is worth your time if you decide to watch it.

Worth watching for the acting and the very touching ending

Author: stiguy from France
23 June 2014

I wasn't much into the movie for the most part, I think I might expected something more direct from it, but the love we see from the Russel-Glen (two charismatic actors) relationship is something to digest and understand by watching them, it's not in the words they say ; it's all a matter of attitudes, eye contacts, gestures, hesitations… We witness the inception of love between two people, the first and sometimes awkward contacts, extreme and paradoxical proximity with a human being you didn't know a day before - to an always bettering connivance as the film goes by. The acting is very good, with a feeling of complete honesty from one character to another, and at moments it almost feels like the camera is hidden, discreetly filming the young and nascent love. All in all though, maybe because it's very intimate (here it might even be a cons), the movie isn't always captivating. The ending though is very touching, not to cheesy and sugary, and really makes the film even more worth watching.

When the weekend has to end

Author: uroskin from Waiheke Island, New Zealand
28 February 2012

A small British picture, basically a two-hander featuring two gay, non-young, non-twink, non-perfect, provincial city dwellers, but the subject matter is vast: you meet the man of your dreams but what do you do next when you cannot hold on to him forever? The chance encounter of love is played out in a naturalistic, conversational style - and there is a lot of talking in this film! - and probably intimately recognisable to all of us who have gone out on an evening and got more than what we had bargained for. It is almost an updated "Brief Encounter", complete with train stations, trams and bicycles (no cars feature as props or settings) but with loving, understanding friends and (very 21st Century that) facial hair. Saying goodbye to the love of your life (or of the weekend) in a train station is dramatically and terribly romantic. Yup, been there, done that before, but lived to tell and fondly remember the tale.

Week End

Author: dhktldnjs from Korea
30 September 2012

(※I'm not good grammar user, so this review is looking grammar weird) I thought this movie is good before I see. But I think this movie is one of best movie I seen this year trailer just show part of this . very a little part so I expect more happy, fun and clean ending but I feel sad, intimacy and complicate relationship I want to be Many lesson, saying is untouchable for me Never forget the smile,serious,indifference even closed eyes face I don't want to overestimate this movie but I see this movie over 10times. I will study English very hard and slowly(?) so i want to meet this two actor(and more) I just have really nice time Try to have two days adventure :) Thank you for many people this movie

It's not about finding an ideal partner. It's about being one.

Author: Janez Mocnik from Slovenia
16 July 2012

This... is actually not a movie. It's a narration of a true to life story. A relationship between two guys who found and realized longing in themselves. Not because they were perfect for each other, on quite the contrary. There was this tension, in spoken words, mostly. Few arguments fit the movie perfectly. But these words were a cliché, an obligatory road to a deep discovery within. A discovery of those emotions we yearn so badly, even though we sometimes deny it. They are easy to reach, if we just let ourselves be what we are with people. This movie, like life, is not a story of finding an ideal partner, a soul mate. It's about being one.

Weekend Review

Author: Santos Santoni (jake.mccarth@Gmail.com) from United States
20 April 2012

Gay themes have permeated through cinema since its inception. Often abstractly hinted at and used as a device to make villainous characters seem more menacing. It wasn't until 1973 when the American Psychiatric Association declassified homosexuality as a mental disorder that the concept of a "gay film" even entered the collective consciousness of film makers. Since the 1970s a breadth of gay cinema has flooded the celluloid medium not only tackling the subject of being gay, but the problems associated with being gay and aspects of gay relationships. One could view this as a positive or a negative. While gay cinema broadened acceptance and understanding of gay issues it also opened the doors for less artistic exploration of such themes. That is not the case with Weekend.

After a drunken night at a gay bar two strangers begin a string of intensely emotional encounters that strengthen their bond to each other. Weekend works on two levels. The film is exceedingly aware that it is a gay film. Protagonists Russell and Glen are critical of gay life in a heterosexual culture often lambasting the relationship between the two; however, Weekend avoids tropes usually associated with the gay film genre.

Russell is keenly sensitive and often quiet, and Glen is a bonvivant free spirit who while equally sensitive is more critical of the circumstances that make him so. Both actors did an exceptionally powerful job at portraying these characters as relatable people. Filming the interactions with a digital camera created a candid atmosphere, and dialogue flowed naturally and at times awkwardly. Stylistically steeped in realism it feels almost voyeuristic to watch the relationship evolve.

Andrew Haigh is by no means a beginner having worked in film for a little over a decade, and it shows. Weekend is a disarmingly immersing love story that manages to avoid all the camp,sappiness, and pretense usually associated with the genre. It manages to keep its nose above gay clichés while making astute observations about progressive gay culture in relation to modern society. There is nothing about this film I wouldn't recommend to an LGBTQQ individual looking for something relatable that operates outside of stereotypes.

Too static and "chatty"

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia/Tallinn
5 February 2015

Well, a single hairy gay goes to a gay bar and finds another hairy one... Then they go home, have sex, start conversing and find out that they have common understanding in multiple issues... Not too original start, but things may be going to develop. But they did not. Still the same: lots of reasoning, talks about gay stuff and fears, some sex... Yes, there are some new activities ahead, but Weekend is still a documentary-like narration about two gays among themselves, with some brief communication with "straight" friends. Well accomplished and performed, but without real dynamism and intrigues I would like to detect in a film on related topic, or if strangers get to know each other. "Artistic" ought not to be equal with "commonplace", there are many examples showing otherwise.

For me, not enough as for a feature film. I tend to think that many viewers would like e.g. Freier Fall (Germany) more. At least I did.

Very good movie would have been better without the drugs

Author: jm10701 from United States
27 August 2012

I have only one problem with this movie, but it's a big one, and it's the only thing that keeps me from giving it ten enthusiastic stars. The problem is the drugs. Russ and Glen (and all their friends) use drugs CONSTANTLY, and it seriously undermines the movie's credibility and effectiveness.

It's impossible for me to believe that illegal drug use is so widespread and so rampant in the English working class these people seem to belong to, in a rather provincial city like Nottingham. If it is, then England is a whole lot more different from America than I thought it was. But even if Weekend is accurate in that respect, it undermines the otherwise wonderful story this movie tells, and tells more beautifully and more realistically than any other movie I know of.

To me, it's a shame, because it leaches focus off the two guys onto a side issue that is not really as important in their relationship as its percentage of screen time would indicate. I don't care about drugs one way or another, but I do care about movies, and the heavy drug use in this movie undermines its power by distracting the viewer's attention away from the characters.

Beautiful, honest movie

Author: z-wolf95 from United States
27 June 2012

I loved this movie! This movie truly shows two people falling in love. I believe anyone, gay or straight or whatever they identify as, can appreciate this movie. Tom Cullen and Chris New give such honest and real performances that you forget what you are watching is fiction. At points I found myself feeling like I was watching a documentary of some form. And I love how flushed out the characters are, they feel like real people. I must give a warning though: this movie isn't for everyone, for most of the film it's the two main characters talking to each other, so if your looking for a lot of events to take place, or you can't stand just watching two people talk, this isn't for you. But if you can give this film a chance, you will be blown away. A must see for romantics at heart (like me).

"BEST. FILM. EVER." type of film.

Author: ovuncuster
25 November 2012

Sometimes I wonder if it's a good thing, to see similar things in a film about your own life, your own thoughts. This film made me think (along with all of this other things) that, some things in life are too common. Are we really nothing but just mere echoes of each other and nothing, really, is unique? Are these only some stepping slabs on the road, we stomp or brush over when we live through life as we're -being so sure of ourselves- not following any other's steps?..

...Love; we feel it. We can't 'make' love; it happens. It's no surprise that sometimes it feels like an obvious answer, to a question we didn't know we've asked. We tend to follow, naturally.

"BEST. FILM. EVER." type of film. ABOUT TWO GAY GUYS. So true to a point where it is fantastic; it's subtle, it's rich; so familiar and the sweetest thing.

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]