IMDb > "Perception" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Perception" More at IMDbPro »

reality-perception

Author: nadiuskadeinoteron from argentina
1 August 2013

Pierce's character is well written, so well that it resembles some people who are actually suffering from some kind of mental illness, people i know. No, i'ts nothing like "A Beautiful Mind", in which the character had these hallucinations, and other episodes not related to reality at all. On the contrary, Pierce's manifestations are connected to reality, to his perception of reality. So this show is about the quite interesting relation reality-perception, not even about madness. And that is one of the most interesting subject of psychological and philosophical history. I've never seen a show like this, entirely from a so called "crazy" person's perspective. And, i insist, his own, unique form of perception. It reminds me of English idealism, a philosophical theory about the way we access reality and more important,how can we determine what reality is.

Really good scientific crime drama.

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
23 August 2014

I must confess, before I even watched the show I wanted to like it. I was rooting for Eric McCormack to succeed in this role as his successes have been few and far between since Will & Grace ended. You also have Rachael Leigh Cook who has been plummeting since she first starred in the teen hit She's All That. Then finally you have Kelly Rowan who played Kirsten Cohen on The O.C. and hasn't been in much since. All three have been in generational hits and watching Perception leaves you with a feeling of nostalgia. You want them to succeed so you can get a second round of weekly viewing from them.

Well good news. The show is actually very good and definitely worth watching. It will never be loved by the masses but they have created an interesting crime drama that will keep you intrigued. It seems to be based on scientific theory instead of criminal investigation but with a weird twist. You never really know what's real and what's not. It really is all about perception.

Neat!

Author: manja2005 from United States
29 June 2014

As I write this,there are quite a lot of detective shows spread across various TV Networks,each with an unique premise.The catch of Perception is,the protagonist suffers from 'Paranoid Schizophrenia' which comes handy to him to solve cases for the FBI.Well,there's nothing new about the premise,but here's what makes the show worth watching.

1.The Episodes.Episodes per season are less,fluctuating between 10-13,as compared to other detective shows,which can go up to 22-24 episodes per season.Lesser episodes means,the show qualifies for binge watching.

2.The show had a good first season,and an even better second season.Some of the episodes in Season 2 were excellent and Season 3 is off to a great start.The show is constantly improving.Episodes 9 and 10 of Season 1 remain my favorites of the show.The twists provided in each episode are quite fascinating.

3.Eric McCormack,playing the role of the Vulnerable,lovable,paranoid Neuro psychiatrist protagonist shapes up this show to what it is now.

Finally,if you stumble across the Perception page at IMDb,do watch this show and you won't be disappointed.Here's hoping there are more seasons for this one.

Good show

Author: Ewslavens from United States
7 August 2012

Iove this show for many reason first because it has a nice mix of real science and mystery my favorite example of this is when Daniel is talking to a man in a coma and tells him to think about throwing a baseball for yes and then sing the national anthem for no and then almost solves the case until of course the man has a seizure just one of the reasons I love this show. The second reason is the humor Dr. Pierce is always witty when it comes to his comebacks in one episode agent moretti's partner is making fun of Daniel when Daniel says to moretti "have you ever requested a different partner" and for some reason I just find stuff like that really funny. Reason number 3 is the mystery my favorite episode is cypher when there is a code in the news paper and Daniel tries to communicate with the killer through that. This show is always really interesting to watch and to see the different methods used to solve crime, but is also interesting in the sense that Daniel is crazy and has hallucinations and you never know if who he is talking to is real or not

Main Character us good but not much else

Author: slykron from dropdead1
11 August 2012

I watch a lot of TV and have this show DVR'ed and watch it as a filler show when nothing else catches my fancy. The concept is outstanding but not original. Its as I say typical TV filler. The problem with this show is casting. It uses a lot of big words and fancy medical jargon to make Eric McCormack seem really smart but times sounds like he just googled it off wikipedia. It was posted on the internet it must be true.

Eric McCormack as a one man show this is about all the show has going for it. His teaching and executive assistant Arjay Smith play well together but everyone else is dismal.

The young FBI agent is flat and in my opinion to young to be seriously considered anything more than fluff and adds absolutely nothing to the script. Even the guy that plays her bar tending father adds more to the show.

I really found that having Lavar Burton play a complete moron was not only stupid but offensive. Lavar as an inept college dean give me a break that really JUMPS THE SHARK.

I really have nothing invested in this show and if its renewed I may or may not watch if my DVR continue recording it or no. It concept seemed intriguing for the first couple of episodes but by the 3rd week its kind of depressing and sad. Its a mash-up of "bones" meets "monk" meets "law and order" at "general hospital" while "Joan of Arcadia" solve mysteries all while talking to them self.

Marvelous Subliminal

Author: norman-42-843758 from Belgium
15 May 2017

I got the series 1 DVD from the library and saw the first two episodes last night. It was watchable American fluff but kind of interesting at the same time. It was the same format as Castle with the smart detective needing the assistance of the even smarter non cop sidekick to solve the case. I liked the psychobabble at the beginning of the show. Whether it is current thinking or not, it was entertaining. Nordic Noir the show was not, not even solid real detective series like DCI Banks but something to watch when you brain is telling you it is getting time to close up shop for the night. If you want to see how the non cop lead in a detective series should be done then try Wire in the Blood.

I have nothing against people with mental disorders, it is an illness just like any other even though they may sometimes behave in ways which others would consider odd. There are however many people today that are concerned about a lack of transparency from those above them in the hierarchy. There are many people that feel their world is somehow out of kilter and are trying to discover the truth about certain issues. The internet is full of conspiracy theories and some of them might even be conspiracies. What better way to debunk people who hold such views than to have these concerns declared as all true by a character that goes around clutching his possessions to his chest like Rain-man. I wonder who thought up that little piece of subliminal. For those who did not pick it up then it has done its job.

Smart, brilliantly acted and witty

Author: wenkeee from Canada
22 May 2016

They should renew this show! It is smart and witty. The lecture scenes are very interesting way to start and conclude episodes. If you really take note in these scenes, you can actually learn quite a bit. It is like being in a fun lecture while having a case to solve. Eric McCormack is one of my favourite actors and does a superb in this show, super convincing. The addition of his schizophrenia hallucinations gives this show another edge and at times very comedic moments. I really wish it was picked up for another seasons, this is a really good show. The characters and cases have so much opportunity for further development.

I highly recommend this show. It is like Monk and Psych came together.

Fun while it lasted

Author: Nishit Nair from India
13 February 2016

After a long time, this came across as one of them nice series which actually had some meaning. Every series starts off with a base, in this it was the neuro doctor, but this one continued to use the neuro doctor logic all the way, but it is become too obvious with the male-female combo in the lead always, the saddest part is when they try and create love between this combo, that is where it all goes south, keep the series to its basics, which is crime solving, the twist in the series of the lead male leaving the country and solving crimes in another country seemed like a welcome break, but then they had to go and do the love thing again, I would still think this would have easily lasted another season or more, sad they had to cancel the show

Was fun while it lasted

Why did they take it off?

Author: rufus-mommy85 from United States
3 July 2015

This was one of my favorite shows. One of the few that I ALWAYS watched when the new episodes came on. I don't even remember them saying it was a series finale at the end of the last season. Nearly all of the reviews on here are 8 stars or above, so why in the world did they get rid of it? I expected it to have a new season at the same time as Rizzoli and Isles, since they have always done that, but all of a sudden they came out with this new show "Proof," without even advertising it until a couple days before it came out. That show I can't stand, because it uses a hard atheist who refuses to believe anything people say. I am not hard Christian, thinking everyone should believe, but I do think they should allow others to believe what they want

Worth Watching

Author: fictionheart
1 February 2015

I've followed this show since it's pilot. The fact that it starts almost every episode with a lecture (ones that look far more interesting than the ones I sit through) is something I find fascinating, and the information they provide is rather accurate, so that's also very interesting. The cases themselves are average, but just in the character played by Eric McCormack I couldn't turn it off. I wasn't as taken initially by Rachael Cook's performance, but she too grew on me, though never to the extent that McCormack's performance takes. While this show takes a slightly lighthearted approach to mental illness, the average world sees these as plagued people rather than almost fully functioning, possibly highly intelligent individuals, which this show helps to portray. As a side note, I really like the few times I get to hear McCormack cover a song in the show. He introduced me to "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers and "You May Be Right" by Billy Joel, and to a couple of classical pieces that are surprisingly enjoyable to an 80's lover. Anyways, it's a show worth watching, at least to try the first couple episodes. If you're not taken, then perhaps it's not your cup of tea, but I had wished to the deepest of my heart that it was not cancelled so quickly. Alas, three seasons to me is not nearly enough.