IMDb > "Perception" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Perception" More at IMDbPro »

I think its great!

Author: vnklinger2003 from United States
11 September 2012

I would have to disagree with some of the posts.. Its not like the mentalist.. It reminds me of A beautiful Mind. I think its fascinating and the there is a story line. After watching last nights episode, I'm hooked, I already anxiously awaiting for next weeks last episode. I think that Eric character is extremely convincing. I predict that he will win an Emmy for this role. I also, like how the other characters are convincing enough to allow Eric role to be completely revealed. I think there is more to this storyline and we will find out next season.. I also predict that due to viewers ADD the series will only last about 3 or 4 seasons. I could watch it forever because I have always been fascinated by the human mind. I love it!

Excellent

Author: Invister D
5 August 2012

First of all, if you hate the same old crime TV shows where there's a guy with a girl solving puzzles and the story is far-fetched to 40 minutes of run-time, yes, you'll be disappointed to watch this show and probably rate it 5-6 stars, which is not the case for people like me. I think comedy and crime don't mix; so the TV series like castle and white collar are overrated and I've hardly seen an another episode of those.

What different in this TV show is that it is quite focused on the Professor who needs his mind kept busy with riddles and cases that eventually makes him go more bonkers and makes the show interesting.

The actor is a simple guy, he doesn't have flair and styles like Dr Lightman from Lie to Me or the Sherlock Holmes actor (these two shows are the top rated in my list). What I like about him is his simplicity and crazy behavior in public that most of us can't afford to have.

The FBI agent is a good actor too, but too cute to look like an agent. I enjoy her character as well. The other interesting character is the Professor's assistant who throws mild tantrums too, which is quite fun to watch.

I love this show and everyone else should too. Thanks.

i am really enjoying this..

Author: Harindu Ishan
17 July 2013

i never thought this show had a chance, specially with the bad pilot reviews and comparisons. but after the first season, i should say this show seems to be pretty well written, and the actors do a pretty good job as well.funny thing is how they makes the audience care about a character, which on paper looks pretty much boring.what i find most entertaining is the way they opens up with Daniel doing a lecture about something which ultimately is all about the case he's going to be involved, and warping up with the same one.

anyone one who haven't seen this and are interested in this kind of shows, should give this a chance. the show is unique in its own way and it's one of those shows that makes you a little bit smarter at the end of each episode.

Monk Meets A Beautiful Mind Meets House at Bones

Author: Maggie A (maggieameanderings) from Pensacola, FL
26 July 2012

A neuroscientist who's apparently afflicted with BOTH schizophrenia (he sees imaginary people a la A Beautiful Mind) and obsessive-compulsive disorder (he can't stand his routine being disrupted a la Monk) who is fascinated by puzzles and can't leave one unsolved (a la House) works as a civilian adviser with an attractive FBI agent (a la Bones) to solve crimes. But despite the fact that it's so obviously derivative and so obvious what it's derived from, I've seen two episodes so far and like it well enough to tune back in.

The highlight of the show is the charming, likable and vulnerable portrayal by Eric McCormack as the brilliant but reality challenged, Dr. Daniel Pierce. The murder mystery of the first two episodes was reasonably well written with a combination of "that was obvious" and "I didn't see that coming." And it's a delight to see LeVar Burton again in his guest star role of the dean of the university. However, Rachel Leigh Cook as FBI agent Kate Moretti is nothing special. She's pretty and perky and obstinate and will defy her bosses to finish a case; therefore, she's completely standard TV fare and Cook's portrayal doesn't lift her beyond standard TV fare.

It's only been two episodes, but I don't think that Perception is going to shape up to be great TV. However, so far it's been a decent show and has a higher level of intelligence than a lot of the shows out there. It expects the viewer to pay attention and doesn't dumb things down. If it keeps up at this level, Perception will be worth tuning into for an hour of week if you're fond of the TV genre of "socially inept genius investigator."

This needs to be renewed

Author: michaelhamfan from Canada
22 October 2014

Very informative crime series (even though not all the neuro-scientific theories are true), it contributes a lot to the destigmatization of the schizophrenics while being very entertaining. Good acting from all the main actors, although Rachel Cook doesn't exactly look like an FBI agent. One of the good series out there right now, it is refreshing to see a crime show without all those super expensive lab tech or superpowers to solve crimes. Neuroscience is a growing field and the more we talk about it in the media, the better it is. People not liking this series simply doesn't understand the meaningfulness of this drama. Must watch if you're into psychological series.

I love this show!

Author: morningstar368 from Canada
30 July 2013

I really like this show. The way things are perceived by Daniel and the things that I am learning from the neuroscience point of view are intriguing. I can't wait for a new episode to learn more!

The one character/actor I am not particularly fond of is Scott Wolf. I am not sure if it is an useless character or I just don't like the actor. A combination of both perhaps. The other character which is needed but could be written differently is the FBI agent. As well, I find Rachel Leigh Cook's acting quite dull. I am just not drawn in by her at all; whereas, Kelly Rowan is fabulous in her role.

A good part this show is fascinating and Eric McCormack is extremely convincing. He plays it beautifully! A little tweaking on Agent Moretti and Donnie Ryan and some better writing and we'll have a real winner!!!!

reality-perception

Author: nadiuskadeinoteron from argentina
1 August 2013

Pierce's character is well written, so well that it resembles some people who are actually suffering from some kind of mental illness, people i know. No, i'ts nothing like "A Beautiful Mind", in which the character had these hallucinations, and other episodes not related to reality at all. On the contrary, Pierce's manifestations are connected to reality, to his perception of reality. So this show is about the quite interesting relation reality-perception, not even about madness. And that is one of the most interesting subject of psychological and philosophical history. I've never seen a show like this, entirely from a so called "crazy" person's perspective. And, i insist, his own, unique form of perception. It reminds me of English idealism, a philosophical theory about the way we access reality and more important,how can we determine what reality is.

Really good scientific crime drama.

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
23 August 2014

I must confess, before I even watched the show I wanted to like it. I was rooting for Eric McCormack to succeed in this role as his successes have been few and far between since Will & Grace ended. You also have Rachael Leigh Cook who has been plummeting since she first starred in the teen hit She's All That. Then finally you have Kelly Rowan who played Kirsten Cohen on The O.C. and hasn't been in much since. All three have been in generational hits and watching Perception leaves you with a feeling of nostalgia. You want them to succeed so you can get a second round of weekly viewing from them.

Well good news. The show is actually very good and definitely worth watching. It will never be loved by the masses but they have created an interesting crime drama that will keep you intrigued. It seems to be based on scientific theory instead of criminal investigation but with a weird twist. You never really know what's real and what's not. It really is all about perception.

Marvelous Subliminal

Author: norman-42-843758 from Belgium
15 May 2017

I got the series 1 DVD from the library and saw the first two episodes last night. It was watchable American fluff but kind of interesting at the same time. It was the same format as Castle with the smart detective needing the assistance of the even smarter non cop sidekick to solve the case. I liked the psychobabble at the beginning of the show. Whether it is current thinking or not, it was entertaining. Nordic Noir the show was not, not even solid real detective series like DCI Banks but something to watch when you brain is telling you it is getting time to close up shop for the night. If you want to see how the non cop lead in a detective series should be done then try Wire in the Blood.

I have nothing against people with mental disorders, it is an illness just like any other even though they may sometimes behave in ways which others would consider odd. There are however many people today that are concerned about a lack of transparency from those above them in the hierarchy. There are many people that feel their world is somehow out of kilter and are trying to discover the truth about certain issues. The internet is full of conspiracy theories and some of them might even be conspiracies. What better way to debunk people who hold such views than to have these concerns declared as all true by a character that goes around clutching his possessions to his chest like Rain-man. I wonder who thought up that little piece of subliminal. For those who did not pick it up then it has done its job.

Neat!

Author: manja2005 from United States
29 June 2014

As I write this,there are quite a lot of detective shows spread across various TV Networks,each with an unique premise.The catch of Perception is,the protagonist suffers from 'Paranoid Schizophrenia' which comes handy to him to solve cases for the FBI.Well,there's nothing new about the premise,but here's what makes the show worth watching.

1.The Episodes.Episodes per season are less,fluctuating between 10-13,as compared to other detective shows,which can go up to 22-24 episodes per season.Lesser episodes means,the show qualifies for binge watching.

2.The show had a good first season,and an even better second season.Some of the episodes in Season 2 were excellent and Season 3 is off to a great start.The show is constantly improving.Episodes 9 and 10 of Season 1 remain my favorites of the show.The twists provided in each episode are quite fascinating.

3.Eric McCormack,playing the role of the Vulnerable,lovable,paranoid Neuro psychiatrist protagonist shapes up this show to what it is now.

Finally,if you stumble across the Perception page at IMDb,do watch this show and you won't be disappointed.Here's hoping there are more seasons for this one.